PDA

View Full Version : Need to identify - Dashcam hit&run! 11-11-2015 12 noon Macleod tr South@Willow park

Thaco
11-12-2015, 02:07 PM
LATEST UPDATE
Ok, so a family member who is a car guy (actually a licensed mechanic) is quite certain he saw this car at southland and 14th street this past weekend, so here's what we know

01-05 Civic Coupe (DX or LX based on the non colour matched mirrors)
SILVER
Stock high spoiler
Aftermarket tail lights? (still not 100% sure but in the vid they dont look stock)
Tinted Windows
Winter steelies
Ripple/cave in on the passenger door at bumper height where he hit my car
He has since replaced his passenger side mirror

PLEASE if you see this car try to grab the plate number.

Original:
Hey all, hoping to get some help tracking this guy down, he sideswiped my car while my wife was driving yesterday and then took off, not a huge amount of damage to my car, but still something i'd rather not have on my insurance claims...

Basically the situation is, my wife was heading southbound in the left most non turn lane, she braked for a yellow light and the car behind her wasnt planning to or couldnt stop in time, so he went between her and the suv in the left turn lane, she didnt think he'd hit her at the time, but there is some damage to the rear bumper cover on my car, as well as a scuff on the tail light where he broke his mirror off.

the dash cam video isnt great because i need a new windshield (booked in for tomorrow) so i cant read the plate, but would appriciate if everybody in that area could keep an eye open for this car.

Identifying characteristics is, i beleive 01-03 civic coupe, light grey/silver, big spoiler, black steelies, crease in passenger door and passenger mirror missing, probably some front end passenger side bumper damage.

Anyway, here's the vid and pictures.

OXQSflbf_W8

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57875389/Dashcam/2015-11-11%20hit%20%26%20run/2015-11-11-15.09.56.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57875389/Dashcam/2015-11-11%20hit%20%26%20run/Sequence%2001.Still001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57875389/Dashcam/2015-11-11%20hit%20%26%20run/Sequence%2001.Still002.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57875389/Dashcam/2015-11-11%20hit%20%26%20run/Sequence%2001.Still003.jpg

UPDATE: So i spoke with my wife, she said it was definitely not silver, and there is no grey colour for that year of civic, she said it almost looked like a primer grey, so it may be a non factory colour.. potentially even primer, although it looks too glossy to be just a primer.

I looked closer at the car, i think it may even be an 04-05 (based on the pointy headlights), which would give it the option of "magnesium metallic" colour, which she says is a lot closer, if not the right colour.

after more looking at the video and searching online, i think its an 04 with these tails
http://www.amazon.com/Rxmotoring-2001-2003-Honda-Lights-Bumper/dp/B0089I5T42

rage2
11-12-2015, 02:42 PM
That sucks. Is your window dirty or is that dashcam seriously that bad that it can't read a license plate considering that car was in so many frames throughout that clip.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2
That sucks. Is your window dirty or is that dashcam seriously that bad that it can't read a license plate considering that car was in so many frames throughout that clip. yeah windshield is bad, got it booked in tomorrow.

Tik-Tok
11-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Holy hard stop batman! That sucks though, I'm often around there, so I'll keep my eyes out.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Holy hard stop batman! That sucks though, I'm often around there, so I'll keep my eyes out. yeah she was unfamiliar with the area and saw the truck brake hard so she did the same because she didnt know if there was a traffic camera or something.

rage2
11-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Can you upload the raw video file to dropbox or google drive and share it? Youtube compresses your raw video down quite a bit so it's hard to enhance anything out of it.

colinxx235
11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Can you upload the raw video file to dropbox or google drive and share it? Youtube compresses your raw video down quite a bit so it's hard to enhance anything out of it.

Hopefully you catch the guy Thaco, shitty thing to have happen.

And of course a required joke...Enhance that clip good

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/andrewjreichart/super-troopers-enhance.jpg

snowcat
11-12-2015, 03:10 PM
YouTube doesn't compress it if rendered correctly (to their guidelines)

Good luck and I would consider changing your dash cam there is no point if you can't read license plates

Thaco
11-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
YouTube doesn't compress it if rendered correctly (to their guidelines)

Good luck and I would consider changing your dash cam there is no point if you can't read license plates the cam is fine, its the windshield, which i already said a few times i am having it replaced, and the lighting conditions are about the worst they could be, overcast, with the sun glaring right at the front of the video so it unnecessarily darkens the video... unfortunately, its just a dashcam.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Can you upload the raw video file to dropbox or google drive and share it? Youtube compresses your raw video down quite a bit so it's hard to enhance anything out of it. i've got it rendering now, unfortunately its like a 1GB file, so its gonna take a while to render and upload

rage2
11-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Don't render it. Just upload the raw file up somewhere. Everytime you render, you lose detail that you don't normally see. I have a shit ton of color correction plugins for Vegas that can help recover stuff in shadows half decently.

revelations
11-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Sorry to hear but just FYI - I would have driven after that goof after checking both directions were safe. Long enough to get a plate anyway. Also, there are better cameras on the market. Even at 1080p YT have seen much better res from others through a dirty windshield. If a camera cant even pickup a plate when I am stopped at a light, its worthless.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Sorry to hear but just FYI - I would have driven after that goof after checking both directions were safe. Long enough to get a plate anyway. Also, there are better cameras on the market. Even at 1080p YT have seen much better res from others through a dirty windshield. If a camera cant even pickup a plate when I am stopped at a light, its worthless. i would have done the same, but my wife was alone in the car and didnt even realize he'd made contact (the car doesnt even move as you can see in the video) until she had a little time to process it and by then it was too late to follow him.

the windshield isnt just dirty, its really sandblasted, the previous owner lived on a dirt road, so it got hammered constantly. i'll post another vid tomorrow after getting a new window.

Kaos
11-12-2015, 05:20 PM
I think your dash cam is aimed a bit high. The camera sensor seems to try to compensate the contrast from the road and the sky. Have you tried aiming it slightly down so that the focal point is more towards the road instead of the sky?

NoSup4U
11-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
yeah she was unfamiliar with the area and saw the truck brake hard so she did the same because she didnt know if there was a traffic camera or something.

You mean she's unfamiliar with yellow lights and having to slow down and stop for them? :bigpimp:

Regardless, hopefully you can get the license plate with the help offered by Rage2. It's pretty evident from the beginning of the footage the driver was probably in a text conversation based on the driving behavior.

I would think if you're driving a 10 year old civic, money is probably not readily available to repair the front end damage (more than likely damage to their bumper and fender) as well as full mirror housing.

Maybe check with the city's traffic department as well, as they may have this on camera.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by NoSup4U

You mean she's unfamiliar with yellow lights and having to slow down and stop for them? :bigpimp:

Regardless, hopefully you can get the license plate with the help offered by Rage2. It's pretty evident from the beginning of the footage the driver was probably in a text conversation based on the driving behavior.

I would think if you're driving a 10 year old civic, money is probably not readily available to repair the front end damage (more than likely damage to their bumper and fender) as well as full mirror housing.

Maybe check with the city's traffic department as well, as they may have this on camera. yellow means stop if its safe to do so, clearly this was not a "safe to do so" situation... lol i am sure those traffic cams create more accidents than they prevent.

yeah, i went for a cruise through that neighbourhood today, hoping to see something but its like looking for a needle in a haystack, especially with all the garages, thats why i am hoping more eyes will mean more chance of success.

J.M.
11-12-2015, 06:33 PM
I'll keep my eye out, I'm in the area often as well

Darell_n
11-12-2015, 06:42 PM
I have 3 different dash cams and even on their best quality setting they are almost useless for reading a moving plate #. I can read plates visually at least 3 times further than a 1080p camera, unfortunately. Hopefully you can find this idiot, there were at least a dozen witnesses plus your footage.

16hypen3sp
11-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Damn that's some incredibly hard braking.

Pretty crazy how that Civic jammed his way between the cam car and the two in the left turn lane.

rage2
11-12-2015, 06:56 PM
That windshield sucks. Also, the civic's plate is pretty bad shape too. I can make out the truck's plates fine after enhancing it.

Anyways, screencaps of a bunch of frames here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4s7s5btqAdjUWZWYjJvOTNqSmM/view?usp=sharing

See if you guys can make out what it is. I *think* it's BPA or DPA, 294 or 298, but that's a lot of guesswork scrolling through the screenshots.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 07:45 PM
cops said pretty much exactly what i expected,

without a plate we don't even really care to see the video because there's nothing we can do

Zhariak
11-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
I think your dash cam is aimed a bit high. The camera sensor seems to try to compensate the contrast from the road and the sky. Have you tried aiming it slightly down so that the focal point is more towards the road instead of the sky?

This 100%, just point it a few clicks down, or manually set the brightness/contrast. That's exactly what it is hands down.

Type_S1
11-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Was your wife texting in driving? The driving in that video looked like it based on slow reactions (slow to start, huge spaces between her and the vehicle in front, obvious lack of attention when had to brake for the yellow).

Hopefully you find the civic...there is no way he didn't know that he hit someone.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Was your wife texting in driving? The driving in that video looked like it based on slow reactions (slow to start, huge spaces between her and the vehicle in front, obvious lack of attention when had to brake for the yellow).

Hopefully you find the civic...there is no way he didn't know that he hit someone. leaving room means distracted driving? sounds like good driving to me, lol, i already said several times, she didn't intend to stop bor the yellow, but was unfamiliar with the area and when the truck that was a length up on her slammed his brakes, she assumed there was a traffic cam or something so she stopped as well.

not saying shes completely innocent in the situation, but she didn't break any rules.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

This 100%, just point it a few clicks down, or manually set the brightness/contrast. That's exactly what it is hands down. i always assumed more parallel with the windshield would mean more glass to travel through and therefore less visibility, i will consider this, but like i said a few times, new windshield booked for tomorrow morning, so i dont think it'll be an issue anymore

The_Penguin
11-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Agree with the others. Point the cam down a bit. No need to shoot the sky, and shooting into the partially obscured sun means it'll underexpose what you really need to see.

NoSup4U
11-12-2015, 10:14 PM
I already said several times, she didn't intend to stop for the yellow, but was unfamiliar with the area and when the truck that was a length up on her slammed his brakes, she assumed there was a traffic cam or something so she stopped as well.

So you openly admit she had no intentions of stopping for the yellow, except the fear of a traffic cam?!? You do realize that is a ticketable offense I hope? The truck hit the breaks hard because they weren't paying attention and had to stop quick for the yellow, she was even slower in that reaction. Even from the video, the yellow was visible with more than enough time for her to take notice and stop. You really need to see that both of you have terrible and dangerous driving habits if you firmly believe in what you say.

Please keep in mind, I'm not saying she was at fault in any way for the incident, the civic was clearly even more distracted and bitched out from owing up. Hopefully you can track them down.

Thaco
11-12-2015, 10:27 PM

So you openly admit she had no intentions of stopping for the yellow, except the fear of a traffic cam?!? You do realize that is a ticketable offense I hope? The truck hit the breaks hard because they weren't paying attention and had to stop quick for the yellow, she was even slower in that reaction. Even from the video, the yellow was visible with more than enough time for her to take notice and stop. You really need to see that both of you have terrible and dangerous driving habits if you firmly believe in what you say.

Please keep in mind, I'm not saying she was at fault in any way for the incident, the civic was clearly even more distracted and bitched out from owing up. Hopefully you can track them down.

well, she had been driving with the civic driver since chinook, probably 12+ blocks, she assessed that he was not entirely focused on driving, so yes, she would have run the yellow due to that fact that she felt she could not "stop safely" as defined by the drivers handbook for the definition of a yellow light... in this case, running the yellow would have been the best decision.. enough holier than thou posts, if you can identify, thanks, if not, get off your horse.

snowcat
11-12-2015, 10:43 PM

You're fucking retarded.

Yellow means stop and the car behind is following too close if you rear end someone.

max_boost
11-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Shitty deal. Is that the Ojo Cam?

OTown
11-13-2015, 11:59 AM

You clearly don't know the rules of the road. Yellow means stop if safe to do so, simple as that. The fact that idiot behind wasnt paying attention/followed too close is the real reason for the collision. If anything what his wife did was safer than blowing through the orange/red light

53(1) When, at an intersection, a yellow light is shown by a traffic control signal at the same time as or following the showing of a green light, a person driving a vehicle that is approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light shall stop the vehicle before entering
(a) the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or
(b) if there is not any marked crosswalk, the intersection,
unless the stopping of that vehicle cannot be made in safety.

Thaco
11-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Shitty deal. Is that the Ojo Cam? yep, but i said it a few times, i dont blame the camera for the quality, i blame the conditions, and my windshield, which should be done in about 15 minutes, cant wait to be able to see!

Tarrantula
11-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Did she go left after him? He could have pulled over and waited..

max_boost
11-13-2015, 12:57 PM
yep, but i said it a few times, i dont blame the camera for the quality, i blame the conditions, and my windshield, which should be done in about 15 minutes, cant wait to be able to see! That car is easy to identify. Maybe a member will spot it!

Thaco
11-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
That car is easy to identify. Maybe a member will spot it! that's what i am hoping for, i know a lot of people live in that area

rage2
11-13-2015, 01:45 PM
I hope someone finds it. I'm curious how close I was to identifying that license plate lol.

Brent.ff
11-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by OTown

You clearly don't know the rules of the road. Yellow means stop if safe to do so, simple as that. The fact that idiot behind wasnt paying attention/followed too close is the real reason for the collision. If anything what his wife did was safer than blowing through the orange/red light

I think the bigger point is that Thaco keeps saying his wife slammed on the brakes cause she thought there was a red light cam, not because there was a yellow (and quite a long one before she hit the brakes). Regardless of there being a car behind her that did not stop, she had more then adequate time to stop. Sure, if she pushed through that yellow, probably would have saved the ding in this case... She had really bad reaction to stopping to the yellow, that was a hell of a hard stop

Thaco
11-13-2015, 01:50 PM
I hope someone finds it. I'm curious how close I was to identifying that license plate lol. yeah i think its a 7 character plate, which makes them smaller so its harder to read, i thought BPL or DPL, 24xx

but just like you, i'm like 3% on that, lol.

Thaco
11-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff

I think the bigger point is that Thaco keeps saying his wife slammed on the brakes cause she thought there was a red light cam, not because there was a yellow (and quite a long one before she hit the brakes). Regardless of there being a car behind her that did not stop, she had more then adequate time to stop. Sure, if she pushed through that yellow, probably would have saved the ding in this case... She had really bad reaction to stopping to the yellow, that was a hell of a hard stop that's not really the point of this post, did she react incorrectly? probably... is anybody ont he road perfect? hell no, if and when you are a perfect driver, you guys can create a bitchfest about this... the point is, she did nothing illegal, reguardless of her actions, the other drives should leave adequate stoppping distance between vehicles....

Also i dont see anybody bitching about the car in the far right lane that was probably 2-3 length behind her that cruised through the yellow/red after my wife was at a complete stop...... Also the truck right beside her, he stopped just as quickly if not moreso than she did... everybody is acting like shes the only one that blows yellow lights...

max_boost
11-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Well either way bro didn't need to hit and run. :nut: :dunno:

Brent.ff
11-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Thaco, I fully agree, this wasn't her fault at all, and it sucks. You were the one that brought up that she stopped hard cause the person beside her did and she thought there might be a red light camera. Doubt anyone would have continued on it had you not gotten defensive about her reaction. Regardless of the location, and that shes not at fault, you'll save having to deal with insurance every year if she quits the hard stops.

either way, I have family that works in Willow Park, and go by often..i'll keep an eye out

Thaco
11-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
Regardless of the location, and that shes not at fault, you'll save having to deal with insurance every year if she quits the hard stops.
not sure what this comment is about, but she has never had an insurance claim in her 15+ years driving.......

Thaco
11-21-2015, 09:11 AM
for those wondering about the image quality here's a cruise out to canmore and back that i took a couple days after with my new windshield... in 10 minutes, lol, sped up 1000% (admittedly it is still tough to read plates at highway speeds, even if doing a similar speed, i do have a different dash cam coming, but its more for aesthetic reasons than quality, i wanted one that was built in to the rearview mirror and that i could wire a backup camera in to.)

63g4gvoyeok

Kaos
11-23-2015, 12:40 PM
The camera is aimed much better.

Thaco
12-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Please continue to keep an eye out, a family member saw the car at southland and 14th st sw on the weekend but was unable to grab a plate, he said the mirror has been replaced but there is a large ripple down the entire passenger side of the car from where he slid down my bumper, i guess that's what caused the ripple in the upper part of the door on the frame i posted.

Family member is a Car Guy (Licensed mechanic) he said the car is definitely silver, not the magnesium metallic my wife thought, (it may have been dirty or whatever), He also said there wasn't any front end damage, the guy must have missed with the front and only contacted on his door, its not a huge cave in, but obvious sideswipe damage, bumper height, and consistent with the damage on my car, he's certain it was the same car.

Also i reviewed the video again, the sound is consistent with a mid car impact, as you can see his front bumper in the video only a fraction of a second (9 frames in 30FPS) after he impact sound, so i think he's right.