PDA

View Full Version : Home Inspector/Engineer (New Build)

liquid1010
11-13-2015, 02:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to an inspector/Engineer I could utilize for a new build? I'm having a home built, but want to ensure I do my own due diligence with regards to the build itself - as the home builder hasn't instilled me with a great degree of confidence in their abilities thus far.

Preference would be to have someone meet me on site periodically to assess construction, outline potential deficiencies, etc. and ultimately hold the builder accountable.

Thanks.

C_Dave45
11-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by liquid1010
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to an inspector/Engineer I could utilize for a new build? I'm having a home built, but want to ensure I do my own due diligence with regards to the build itself - as the home builder hasn't instilled me with a great degree of confidence in their abilities thus far.

Preference would be to have someone meet me on site periodically to assess construction, outline potential deficiencies, etc. and ultimately hold the builder accountable.

Thanks.
First of all, I doubt your builder will allow you onsite to "inspect", let alone with a 3rd party professional. And they certainly won't be able to "hold him accountable".
During the build process that building is the property of the builder. Most won't even let you the buyer on site except at pre-approved completion points.
That's the whole purpose of "City Inspections". They make sure buildings are done to code. You can't have every Tom, Dick and Harry bringing in his "cousin Joe" to "make sure it's done right".

gwill
11-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Dave's bang on. Unless your with a gc or custom builder don't expect to get into the site often. Some builders are very lenient when others aren't. Keep in mind just because you noticed something whacky in the house doesn't mean the builder has to address things right then.

Here's different things your builder may say:

2 site visits max
You have warranty for a reason
Trust us we know what we are doing
Get off the site

Unless you had something stipulated in your contract the builder doesn't need to jump through hoops after you've signed. Hopefully your builder is lenient in this regard.

liquid1010
11-13-2015, 03:15 PM
While I appreciate everyone's input, I have stipulated that I can have a 3rd party brought in to assess progress and quality periodically. At this point the home is "open" meaning I can walk in whenever the heck I want to ensure the framing is being done correctly (I typically walk through every few days).

Additionally, we have scheduled walk-through's..... and having a SME with me during those would help.

colinxx235
11-13-2015, 03:28 PM
While I appreciate everyone's input, I have stipulated that I can have a 3rd party brought in to assess progress and quality periodically. At this point the home is "open" meaning I can walk in whenever the heck I want to ensure the framing is being done correctly (I typically walk through every few days).

Additionally, we have scheduled walk-through's..... and having a SME with me during those would help.

The homebuilder can also tell your inspector to go pound sand. Plenty of the inspectors in this city as so unqualified it hurts.

While although physically it is hard to limit your presence on site prior to doors/construction locks (assuming it isn't a fenced in property like some locations are now) you technically are trespassing.

C_Dave45
11-13-2015, 03:28 PM

You have that on paper, written into your contract?

Is this your builder?

6T_XXh1WaG0

http://i.imgur.com/8464NX6h.jpg

gwill
11-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Kudos to you for having a clause for the periodic inspections. Did you also stipulate timelines for repairs on deficiencies ?

liquid1010
11-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Luckily this thread hasn't gone way off track or anything......

C_Dave45
11-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Luckily this thread hasn't gone way off track or anything......

So I still am not clear.....

I have stipulated that I can have a 3rd party brought in to assess progress and quality periodically.
Originally posted by C_Dave45

You have that on paper, written into your contract?

liquid1010
11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

So I still am not clear.....

.... that wasn't my question, so it doesn't matter if you're clear or not.

max_boost
11-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Lol buddy said he's good to go so do you guys have a recommended guy or not.

C_Dave45
11-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Lol buddy said he's good to go so do you guys have a recommended guy or not.
Yeah I have a guy. He's got about 30 years in the business. He also charges himself out at $400 an hour with a 3 hour minimum for on site work. (local).

Builder might listen to him politely and say "thank you, have a nice day".

PS.

If you're that distrustful of your builder, you shouldn't have gone with him in the first place. You're a little late to the party, but good luck with that! :thumbsup:

liquid1010
11-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks for advice Dave. With all due respect, the statement "you get what you tolerate" often rings all to true.

RawB8figure
11-13-2015, 11:10 PM
From experience do not put a lot of faith in the city inspectors. Some are good some are not. Some inspectors don't even look and just sign and leave.

I have used these guys for engineering tall walls, but they also do site inspections on structure as well.

http://www.bravura.ca/

Sugarphreak
11-13-2015, 11:45 PM

liquid1010
11-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
My builder let me schedule as many sites visits as I wanted, and I brought an experienced contractor with 40 years of experience who nit picked anything that wasn't up to snuff. I'd. Recommend him, but he is always busy with custom homes.

It all comes down to your relationship with the builder really

Yup - I think it's largely dependent on the builder themselves, and your relationship with the site super. People are often far too timid to bring anything up at the fear of being told to "bugger off".

You get what you tolerate, and documentation is always your friend.