PDA

View Full Version : Right Turns on Double Red Educational Thread

schocker
11-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Saw that mar must have posted this to 311. :rofl:
I am unsure if others think that this is an actual thing?

http://spot311.calgary.ca/reports/15-00759631

There is a double red light which indicates no turn on red, but typically that's accompanied with a sign throughout the city. Can you either add a sign or remove the double because no one understands what it means... Including the cop that just burnt the light that I talked to.

Don't worry though
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1935.htm

SOLID RED LIGHTS:

Drivers facing a traffic control signal
displaying a solid red light must bring their
vehicles to a complete stop before the
stop line or crosswalk that is directly in
front of the vehicle. If there is no stop line
or crosswalk, drivers must stop before the
intersection. Vehicles must remain stopped
at the red light until it turns green, unless
safely turning right after stopping.
A solid double red light has the same
meaning as a single red light.

Right turn at red light Unless a sign
prohibits the turn, a driver may turn right
at a red light after stopping completely
before the stop line or crosswalk, if the

schocker educational thread of the week
http://thirtynorth.com/assets/enhanced-32005-1422840611-40-1.jpg

C_Dave45
11-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Saw that mar must have posted this to 311. I am unsure if others think that this is an actual thing?
There is a double red light which indicates no turn on red, but typically that's accompanied with a sign throughout the city. Can you either add a sign or remove the double because no one understands what it means... Including the cop that just burnt the light that I talked to.

:facepalm: Good God....I can't believe how many people are out there that don't know the meaning of signs or lights!!!!!

rage2
11-13-2015, 04:03 PM
I don't even get why there's a double red there. The only reason for a double red is so it can allow turn traffic while stopping through traffic right? Is there a right turn only signal for that light there?

dandia89
11-13-2015, 04:10 PM
this intersection is confusing as hell for someone trying to jay walk :rofl:

yellowGTS
11-13-2015, 07:50 PM
I think the pedestrian traffic at this intersection is the reason for the alleged 'no right turn on red'

I agree that there is a need for a sign to indicate no turn on red (if it is actually required). I don't want the city to put up a sign and slow traffic for no reason.

D'z Nutz
11-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I don't even get why there's a double red there. The only reason for a double red is so it can allow turn traffic while stopping through traffic right? Is there a right turn only signal for that light there?

The other side (where the Porsche is) always turns green first and has a flashing left turn light. There's always confusion at that intersection as to who has the right of way.

D'z Nutz
11-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

The other side (where the Porsche is) always turns green first and has a flashing left turn light. There's always confusion at that intersection as to who has the right of way.

Like so.

0HLdGWV8a8o

doomdealer
11-16-2015, 10:08 AM
Like so.

Lololo that Chevy Impala (with the crappily-written NEW DRIVER sign) is always there every morning. I drive by his parked car on Riverfront Ave all the time and 'lol' to myself whenever I see his sign.

Quite surprising that given he's driven there so many times, he still doesn't know how that intersection works.

jwslam
11-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by doomdealer
Quite surprising that given he's driven there so many times, he still doesn't know how that intersection works.
He just doesn't know how you and everyone else thinks the intersection works... it must work perfectly fine for him if he's there everyday :rofl:

Calgary drivers :whipped:

D'z Nutz
11-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by doomdealer

Lololo that Chevy Impala (with the crappily-written NEW DRIVER sign) is always there every morning. I drive by his parked car on Riverfront Ave all the time and 'lol' to myself whenever I see his sign.

Originally posted by jwslam

He just doesn't know how you and everyone else thinks the intersection works... it must work perfectly fine for him if he's there everyday :rofl:

Calgary drivers :whipped:

I'd have to check the original video, but I think the driver is part of the "Triple O" club and as you can deduce, a pretty fucking terrible driver.

Mar
12-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Saw that mar must have posted this to 311. :rofl:
I found this thread when doing a search for something completely unrelated.

Thaco
12-28-2015, 10:52 PM
nobody stops at a single red when turning right, what makes them think a double red will be any different?? one fo those really stupid traffic rules thats completely unenforceable, no different than "do not enter the intersection unless you can clear it" on yield on greens, you do that and people will honk the shit out of you and go around you to make the left turn...

max_boost
12-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Like so.

0HLdGWV8a8o

Yes yes yes. It's annoying.

cloud7
12-31-2015, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
nobody stops at a single red when turning right, what makes them think a double red will be any different?? one fo those really stupid traffic rules thats completely unenforceable, no different than "do not enter the intersection unless you can clear it" on yield on greens, you do that and people will honk the shit out of you and go around you to make the left turn...
Breaking the not stopping at red light before turning rule is completely enforceable assuming the cops know the rules, and the charges will stick in court. Unfortunately, some of them don't know them well so they tend to not give tickets to people breaking the rules and give tickets to people not breaking the rules sometimes. Not stopping at a red light before turning right will get you a red light running ticket You can most of the time, the justice of the peace let the charges lowered to failing to follow a traffic control device.