PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating rims

shakalaka
11-22-2015, 11:32 PM
I am looking for some recommendations on shops that can powdercoat my rims. I've been thinking of getting a satin black colour on the stock 19" competition package rims and looking for some decent shop recommendations.

Also, what sort of cost to expect and rough turn around time?

Thanks

roll_over
11-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Last set was sent out and it took 3 weeks. The finish was perfect. This was five rims with tires dismounted and tpms removed

JfuckinC
11-22-2015, 11:45 PM
calgary powder coating, $80 a wheel, my satin black rims are still immaculate after a few years.

Heru-Farukon
11-23-2015, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
calgary powder coating, $80 a wheel, my satin black rims are still immaculate after a few years.

I believe it's only $80/wheel when it's 18in or smaller. 19s and larger are additional iirc

But yeah I too recommend calgary powdercoats. Excellent job

shakalaka
11-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
Last set was sent out and it took 3 weeks. The finish was perfect. This was five rims with tires dismounted and tpms removed

Where did you get it done? Ideally I am looking for a place that will just take the rims/tires as is and do the needful. It'll be hassle to get the tires removed first and stuff.

Originally posted by JfuckinC

Do you happen to have a picture? I am consider Satin Black also, however I am open to other ideas. Wouldn't mind taking a look as to how SB looks. I will post a pic of the car they will be going on, so I would appreciate suggestions as well.

Originally posted by Heru-Farukon

I believe it's only $80/wheel when it's 18in or smaller. 19s and larger are additional iirc

But yeah I too recommend calgary powdercoats. Excellent job

I will check out Calgary powder coats then. $80 or a so a wheel is not bad at all! Do you know if they will take care of tire removal/installation and all that as well?

Just to be sure, is the one you're referring to?
http://www.calgarypowdercoatings.com/home.html

Rocket1k78
11-23-2015, 10:31 AM
You're probably not going to find any PC place that does the tires too and for rims like that id spend the extra time to take them to a known place to have the tires done properly. coughUrbanXsouthGarycough

shakalaka
11-23-2015, 10:47 AM
I called Calgary PC and they charge $80 which is a very good price. But yea would have to get the tires removed myself. I deal with Jordan and Pete at Urban X Mcleod so will just get them to do it.

Now just need to make sure which colour I want to go with.

03ozwhip
11-23-2015, 12:09 PM
I want to get my M-Sport wheels refinished and in the past I've used kwiksilver, but I haven't gotten any reply from him the last couple times I emailed him.

I also want powder coating when it's done. Who do people use now, since I haven't used anyone in a few years...

shakalaka
11-23-2015, 12:17 PM
I am thinking of Calgary PC and their prices seem pretty good. Now I just gotta make up my mind as to the colour.

Suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150827_143127.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150822_124608.jpg

R-Audi
11-23-2015, 01:42 PM
I used 'Calgary Tire Shop' for powdercoating my Volks and was very happy.. while they dont have a huge selection of colors in stock, (~30 maybe?) they were quick and decently priced. I think for wheel repair (2 had rash) and PC I paid $500... wheels were 19s.

SportEL
11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Calgary Powder Coatings is good because they strip the wheels as well included in the price.

JfuckinC
11-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Here is a photo right after i got them back, they are 20" dodge rims for my truck, but you get a good idea of the color.

I think the satin black color would go great with yours, i love that green. Nice change from the norm.

http://i66.tinypic.com/11rzsd1.jpg

Sugarphreak
11-23-2015, 07:56 PM

shakalaka
11-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the link and pics.

I am thinking something like this...but not sure what the colour is called. Perhaps just gloss black? Although, it's not super glossy from what I can tell.

shakalaka
11-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I posted up a thread a while back for some rims I had powder coated, some pretty good information in it:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/373533/rims-powder-coat-vs-paint/

Who did you end up going with? Price/experience?

Sugarphreak
11-23-2015, 08:24 PM

shakalaka
11-23-2015, 08:29 PM
^^ Calgary powder Coating was the cheapest and they also were the most professional when I contacted them. They also include stripping as part of the price, where as other places wanted to either charge me for it, or asked to take it somewhere else first.

Wheels turned out really nice and they are still like new two years later. Super durable smooth finish that washes off easily.

If you co to Calgary Powder Coating, they have a wall on the inside that has tags with all of their standard colours (Colours that don't cost more).

When I was doing mine, I just grabbed a handful and went outside to compare them to my car. I picked the one that was closest to my vehicles paint colour.

So sounds like the Calgary PC is the best place to go then. I have them short listed for now. At $80 a rim it's not too bad. What exactly is stripping? Is it necessary?

When I spoke to the individual on the phone, they mentioned they have like $200 colours to choose from, so I am thinking I will surely find the right shade I am looking for.

What do you do for the nuts? Do you get them powder coated too or are they ordered separately in that colour?

Sugarphreak
11-23-2015, 08:34 PM

shakalaka
11-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Sounds good, thanks for your input! CPC it is then. Just have to figure out a time when I am in Calgary Monday-Friday and drop the rims off there. Since they are summer rims I am in no rush to get them so that's okay. Will hit up Urban X to get the tires removed first I suppose.

94boosted
11-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Another +1 For Calgary Powder Coating, they did the wheels on my vette in satin black a few years back and the finish is holding very nicely http://forums.beyond.ca/st/365716/2010-chevy-corvette-grand-sport-coupe/ (pictures about a 1/3 of the way down)

03ozwhip
11-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Shak, pm'd

88CRX
11-26-2015, 06:05 PM
+ Calgary Powder Coating

They did my orange Volks a couple years back. They also allow you to toss in small extras pieces for cheap. I also PC'd some strut tower bars, toe hooks, etc. Wheels and bars all came out looking like OEM finish.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/88crx/carpics_13_zpscf57aa09.jpg

EK 2.0
11-27-2015, 08:40 AM
It is probably too late now haha...

But I used SilverLine in Airdrie....Turned out AMAZING...the only negative to them is when I was shopping around the amount of colours they have versus other places is a lot fewer. But because I was only after a certain Yellow I was ok haha.

jacky4566
11-27-2015, 09:50 AM
You have to strip them, no way around it.

FYI Consolidated Compressor on 40 Street S.E. has rental booths for blasting. Sorta like Uwrench where you rent the booth and then you blast it yourself with your medium of choice sand/sodium/walnuts etc.

All the fun of blasting without the cleanup!

mr2mike
11-27-2015, 09:52 AM
What's crazy is this guy in Toronto took his wheels to the US to get powdercoated copper.
In Canada it would cost $900. Down there 1/3 of the price. This is when the dollar was better too. Crazy the price differentials.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/b-rizz13/Fitment.jpg

03ozwhip
11-27-2015, 10:55 AM
:eek: fuck me that's a nice wheel.

shakalaka
11-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Wow that is so sexy. I doubt it would go with the colour of my car though. So far I've gotten suggestions of gloss black and some sort of bronze. But I am trying to visualize it and it's hard.

And Cory, I am keeping it...for now..:poosie:

zipdoa
11-27-2015, 01:33 PM
I have wheels with curb rash - do any of these places refinish the rim of a wheel? Or do I have to go to Alberta Wheel Repair before getting CPC to finish the wheels?

R-Audi
11-27-2015, 04:44 PM
If you go to Calgary Tire shop they can do both at the same time... for a reasonable cost. My 19s were $500 all in. (repair, strip and PC)

calgarytireshop dot com