PDA

View Full Version : UofW Mandatory Indigenous Course

Feruk
11-23-2015, 11:44 AM
http://globalnews.ca/news/2352776/university-of-winnipeg-approves-mandatory-indigenous-course-for-all-students/

WINNIPEG — The University of Winnipeg Senate has unanimously approved a new Indigenous Course Requirement (ICR) for all students before they graduate. The body responsible for UWinnipeg’s academic governance is mandating that all students will learn about Indigenous people, making it the first university in the country to do so.

Wow... :banghead:

Inzane
11-23-2015, 11:47 AM
What.... the.... fuck....???

I can understand making this part of the curriculum in grade school social studies. Heck it is probably there already.

But a mandatory university level course?

Why?

rage2
11-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Have you been to Winnipeg? It's a city surrounded by Indian reserves. You gotta learn about your neighbors.

Inzane
11-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Have you been to Winnipeg? It's a city surrounded by Indian reserves. You gotta learn about your neighbors.

Right, except University student bodies are normally made up of large numbers from out of province and out of country.

Why would someone not from there need to know, or even give a fuck?

schocker
11-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Wasn't this part of social studies throughout normal school.

you&me
11-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Yeah, but isn't the point of going to University in Winnipeg so that you can get the fuck out of Winnipeg?

D'z Nutz
11-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Serious question, I wonder if First Nations students are exempt from taking this course.

Tik-Tok
11-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Serious question, I wonder if First Nations students are exempt from taking this course.

They would likely take it anyways. Easy GPA booster.

rx7boi
11-23-2015, 12:15 PM
:rofl: How many people actually know someone who went to U of W?

killramos
11-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Wasn't this part of social studies throughout normal school.

lol its a part of the curiculum to provide links to indigenous cultures in all subjects in Alberta.

I remember the alberta ed textbook in highschool for chem 30 has little side notes every other page about how natives used tree sap to waterproof canoes therefore they are scientists every other page and shit like that.

Its sickening.

Remind me again why people live in manitoba :rofl:

Xtrema
11-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Yeah, but isn't the point of going to University in Winnipeg so that you can get the fuck out of Winnipeg?

Not if you want a government job. That's all Canada is going to have in the next decade.

Anyway, as long as it's a GPA booster, mandatory or not, kids' will take it. God damn Astronomy 101 where a curved 90% only get you a B+. GPA booster my ass.

roopi
11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
No refugees and lets not learn about the indigenous people. :rolleyes:

JRSC00LUDE
11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Education about a significant portion of our population would likely do a lot to improve understanding and community relations in the long run, if it's done correctly and not just focused solely on white guilt and handwringing.

If there were a proper educational class where I could learn meaningful things, good and bad, I'd consider taking it.

HiTempguy1
11-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Education about a significant portion of our population

Um, 1% is significant?

Seth1968
11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
We have taken an important step to integrate Indigenous knowledge, perspectives, and worldview into our curricula and culture.”

First of all, they're not indigenous.

Second, even if they were, how does that make their wisdom more relevant than any other people?

Sugarphreak
11-23-2015, 12:46 PM

JRSC00LUDE
11-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Um, 1% is significant?

It's significantly more than that in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, no? No one said it had to be a national thing but it would be a useful one here imo.

killramos
11-23-2015, 12:47 PM
I think the problem is once again singling out indigenous peoples as people special and getting special treatment.

Is there a mandatory "History of Manitoba" course? How about Canadian history even?

No. That kind of stuff isn't important. Now indigenous peoples, that's going to prepare them for a future in Canada...

I don't even remember learning all that much significant about Alberta's history in grade school. Barely anything past when we were known as Alberta lol.

There is already a huge indigenous requirements to grade school curriculum across the country. Why should kids have to repeat it when they get to university?

This is just political pandering to the PC crowd. Pathetic really.

sputnik
11-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Most of the reserves are actually quite far away (many accessible only by plane or ice roads). There are a couple smaller reserves near-ish to Winnipeg, but they equate to little more than a few houses and a gas bar. Calgary is actually closer to much more reserve land than Winnipeg (Tsui Tina, Stoney and Siksika) and Alberta has a higher aboriginal population than Manitoba (220k and 195k respectively) however for Manitoba it is a much higher percentage of the total population.

The real problem for Winnipeg is that there is no work or future on the reserves in Manitoba now that natives have pretty much abandoned their traditional way of life (hunting, fishing, trapping etc).

This results in many moving to the city but bringing along addictions, lack of education/skills and gang affiliation from the reserves. This compounded with poverty and a lack of any real motivation to do anything (thanks to unlimited federal handouts) it just makes for a terrible scene.

Then you have the SJW who blame everything on the white (i.e. non-native) man and you end up with hyper-sensitive people requiring courses like this. It is really not much different than the university that banned yoga because they said it was cultural appropriation.

It's not pretty and there is no easy way out of it.

Things are changing due to a rapid move to gentrify many areas of the city which often pushes aboriginals back onto the reserves where housing is cheaper.

Calgary doesn't really see this because aboriginals have motivation to stay on most reserves so that they can benefit from oil revenues from wells on their land. However with the drop in oil, this may change too depending on what happens to O&G long term.

Feruk
11-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by killramos
This is just political pandering to the PC crowd. Pathetic really.
My thinking exactly.

I interact with Indians almost every day. They ask me for change, I say no and hope this isn't the time one of their drunk (and/or drugged out) asses decides to get aggressive. I've heard the problem is much worse in Winnipeg. If you're gonna make anything mandatory in Winnipeg it should be a self-defense course to help defend in part against aggressive drunks. Instead, they'll probably try to sell some "rich cultural" bullshit about a group of hunter/gatherers who haven't existed in 200 years. Or worse, maybe just another bunch of white shaming to lather you up to ask for more money.

Feruk
11-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Calgary doesn't really see this because aboriginals have motivation to stay on most reserves so that they can benefit from oil revenues from wells on their land. However with the drop in oil, this may change too depending on what happens to O&G long term.
You should try walking around CUPS downtown.

Seth1968
11-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

My thinking exactly.

I interact with Indians almost every day. They ask me for change, I say no and hope this isn't the time one of their drunk (and/or drugged out) asses decides to get aggressive. I've heard the problem is much worse in Winnipeg. If you're gonna make anything mandatory in Winnipeg it should be a self-defense course to help defend in part against aggressive drunks. Instead, they'll probably try to sell some "rich cultural" bullshit about a group of hunter/gatherers who haven't existed in 200 years. Or worse, maybe just another bunch of white shaming to lather you up to ask for more money.

:clap:

JRSC00LUDE
11-23-2015, 01:47 PM
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/inside-the-rcmps-course-on-improving-its-relationship-with-first-nations?utm_source=vicefbca

^ That's an interesting article about a course that sounds worthwhile and that may have had some tangible benefits.

I agree that MANDATORY classes like in OP's post are perhaps unnecessary. Making almost anything mandatory is bullshit imo. But when you're in a place where these things are relevant, explain the harm of something like this to me? What's wrong with understanding things better? :dunno:

killramos
11-23-2015, 02:01 PM
The harm comes when these courses really do nothing to educate and are rather just white guilt machines perpetuated by the SJW's.

I find it funny that across the planet it really only seems ok to push this kind of reparations type guilt trips on white people.

What would happen if a SJW tried something like that in say Rwanda? Lecture Hutus in 2015 on tutsi cultures or whatever as they should feel guilty for the massacre?

Or Japanese based on genocide and rape of northern Chinese during WW2?

List any existing culture in the world and i bet you could find an instance where they killed off a bunch of people or took over a bunch of people's land in some historical event. Likely racially or culturally motivated.

This modern obsession of white guilt is just pathetic and if people really want to move forward on racial equality they need to stop putting up these labels.

JRSC00LUDE
11-23-2015, 02:06 PM
The harm comes when these courses really do nothing to educate and are rather just white guilt machines perpetuated by the SJW's.

This modern obsession of white guilt is just pathetic and if people really want to move forward on racial equality they need to stop putting up these labels.

I absolutely agree with that, if they are that kind of "education" they have no place. If they are more what is referenced in that link, and offered in populations where it carries more relevance, I'm all for it personally.

sexualbanana
11-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by you&me

I'm pretty sure U of W is mostly a commuter school, so it's more likely than not that most graduates will end up sticking around Winnipeg.

sputnik
11-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I'm pretty sure U of W is mostly a commuter school, so it's more likely than not that most graduates will end up sticking around Winnipeg.

Its a smallish (10,000+ student body) undergrad university like any other really. People go there for their Arts, Education or Science undergrad degrees and go somewhere else for their post-grad studies.

It actually has a pretty high number of international students that attend as well.

If you want a professional designation (Law, Eng, Med) you would go to the U of Manitoba which is about the same size as the U of C.

Inzane
11-24-2015, 12:35 PM
The problem with "mandatory" is it takes up a course slot that could be used for something else (another tech elective?).

And since universities are subsidized by the government, we as tax payers are in some fashion paying for this course as well.

Seth1968
11-24-2015, 12:35 PM
List any existing culture in the world and i bet you could find an instance where they killed off a bunch of people or took over a bunch of people's land in some historical event. Likely racially or culturally motivated.

You can blame the self righteous religionists for that.

Besides, the Indians of North America were killing and enslaving other tribes long before the "white man" came on the scene. I doubt that will be taught in this course.

g-m
11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
I saw a native woman pissing on the ticket puncher of the 1St sw c-train station at 4:45pm on Monday. I'm white and I didn't feel guilty

Edit: literally pants around ankles

killramos
11-25-2015, 02:45 PM
I always think to myself. Why don't I save a ton of money and start taking transit again

Thanks for reminding me.

e31
11-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Like almost everything else learned in University, it's just another theory course that contains information that will be quickly overridden by empirical evidence once said students leave school and enter the real world.