PDA

View Full Version : Viper Remote Starter install Parking lights wire

jltabot
11-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Hey all,

I just completed a remote start install on a 2003 Civic SIR (EP3). I've wired everything correctly, remote start and power locks all work as they should using the aftermarket remote. My issue is which parking light wire to use.

According to the various sources, the parking light wire is:

(-) blue, factory alarm plug OR
(+) red/black, behind the fuse box

It was easier to access the factory alarm plug, and I've set the parking light wire jumper to (-)'ve but the parking lights won't flash whenever I press a button on the viper remote. The lights continue to flash like normal if I use the OEM key fob.

Since that didn't work, I looked up the wiring diagram and chased the parking light wire to behind the instrument cluster. I also tested with the voltmeter that there is power to these lights whenever I use the OEM fob.

I just want to make sure I have the correct parking light wire to hook up to so that when I remote start or lock/unlock the vehicle, the parking lights flash/remain on.

thanks in advance.

VIPER 4204V remote starter

reference wiring diagrams:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B25lwhqKb1nIVGNOalByT3dMOE0&usp=sharing

silvercivicsir
11-29-2015, 10:08 PM
do the park lights flash when you test the blue wire at the factory alarm plug? (when using a test light)?? if they don't, its the wrong blue wire.

jltabot
11-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Yeah they do. That's the confusing part. Except they only flash with the Honda key fob. If I try the same lock/unlock on the viper remote, no flash.

jltabot
11-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Correction. The blue wire is always at 12V and goes to ground when I lock/unlock. Again, park lights flash with OEM remote, not the viper remote.

silvercivicsir
11-29-2015, 10:13 PM
What are you using to test your wires? Test light, multi-meter, logic probe? using a test light, when the blue wire is grounded it should turn the park lights on.

silvercivicsir
11-29-2015, 10:17 PM
you also moved the "fuse" for the park lights right? *(under the sliding cover*)?

jltabot
11-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Just tested using a test light. Yes it does light up going to ground.

jltabot
11-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Yes to the fuse under the sliding cover.

silvercivicsir
11-29-2015, 10:21 PM
so with the park light wire hooked up to the blue wire, use your test light to ground the white park light wire.. (the park lights should come on, if not check the fuse)

jltabot
11-29-2015, 10:30 PM
I did both.

Lights flash when I ground the blue wire.
Fuse is good and set to -ve

Is there another blue wire on that factory security plug that I could be testing but connected to the other by chance?

silvercivicsir
11-29-2015, 10:37 PM
no there is only one. if it tests correctly with the test light (the blue wire), you have the correct wire at the alarm plug..

Try this.. connect the wire park light wire to the test light, and hit lock/unlock.. does the test light light up? (with the test light grounded)

jltabot
11-29-2015, 10:52 PM
I'll have to test tomorrow and report back. I've already soldered the connection assuming it was the right plug. Thanks for the help and I'll update tomorrow what the results are after I pull the connection apart.

silvercivicsir
11-29-2015, 10:55 PM
don't pull it apart.. test it at the starter.. test the white wire/park light and let me know what happens..

I would double check the fuse, it should look like this..

http://www3.telus.net/public/andyyee/IMG_1241.JPG

and test the white wire here (I only have old viper brain at home, but you get the idea)..

http://www3.telus.net/public/andyyee/IMG_1243.JPG http://www3.telus.net/public/andyyee/IMG_1244.JPG

jltabot
11-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Because I had to test it again...

I put my test light to the white parking light wire on the brain. As soon as it touches, the park lights light up, and so does the test light. I've confirmed both the fuse and blue wire to be correct.

Is there a setting on the viper brain where It's optional for the parking lights to flash?

Would it also matter if the security unit was plugged in? I left it disconnected since it was easier to solder the connections on the green plug.

When I hit lock/unlock, doors unlock/lock and horn beeps.

silvercivicsir
11-30-2015, 12:08 AM
I put my test light to the white parking light wire on the brain. As soon as it touches, the park lights light up, and so does the test light. I've confirmed both the fuse and blue wire to be correct.

This doesn't make sense.. when you touch the white wire with the test light, the park lights come on?<-- this should happen.. and the test light lights up? (this should't happen) or are pressing the unlock / lock and the test light comes on?

The Blue wire will have a weak + voltage measurable by a multi-meter, but once you hit it with a test light, it doesn't have enough power to light up the test light, goes to ground and the park lights come on. (you are triggering a relay)

Try testing the white park wire by itself.. (cut it where it's connected to the blue wire). ground the test light, and press unlock/lock.. if the test light lights up, when you press lock/unlock it's set to positive.

If it doesn't light up, try the reverse.. connect the test light to a 12V and test the white wire. if it flashes, then you have correctly set the fuse for negative park lights.

jltabot
11-30-2015, 12:17 AM
great, I'll give it a go tomorrow and will let you know. thanks!

does it matter if the security module is plugged in?

the blue wire, measured with a voltmeter reads ~12V. When I touched the white wire at the brain, a relay in the brain clicks, the parking lights remain on (for as long as I'm holding the test light to the wire) and the test light lights up (dim).

on remote functions (MENU 3), should item 12 - parking light output be constant, pulsed, or off?

Projek01
11-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Are you using a plain jane test lamp? You should use a multimeter or a LED tester instead.

You should get your (-) parking light blue wire wire off a green connector taped up above your DRL box. It is right below your steering column. Or, there should be a blue wire coming off of your headlight stalk connector.

jltabot
11-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Projek01
Are you using a plain jane test lamp? You should use a multimeter or a LED tester instead.

You should get your (-) parking light blue wire wire off a green connector taped up above your DRL box. It is right below your steering column. Or, there should be a blue wire coming off of your headlight stalk connector.

using a multimeter and test lamp. I am using that blue wire off the green connector. I triple checked that.

By looking at the wiring diagrams for the parking light circuit, it looks like there has to be a switch to ground only through the headlight switch. I was thinking that the multiplex unit can only switch to ground using the OEM key fob. And since the viper remote doesn't talk the system that way, it's why the lights don't flash?

silvercivicsir
11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
in this case the non led test light is your friend..

did you try what I suggested and and test only the white park light wire? This will tell you 100% what the white wire is doing.. Either it's pulsing ground, or 12V.. As for the blue wire at the green connector, if the park lights come on when you ground it with the test light, it's the correct wire.. (I really think you have the park light fuse in backwards, and it's pulsing 12V, instead of ground)

As for the light flash in the menu settings, I believe constant is default, (unless you want your park lights flashing every 30 seconds while the car is remote started, vs just constantly on)

Doesn't matter about the security unit, if it's unplugged, the OEM remotes won't work. (all testing of the unlock/lock is assuming you are using the viper remotes, not the OEM Key fobs)

jltabot
11-30-2015, 02:03 PM
I`ll have to check the fuse again when I get home.

But I actually don`t have the security unit and the OEM remotes still work.

silvercivicsir
11-30-2015, 02:36 PM
sorry my bad, the factory alarm won't work with the unit removed.

jltabot
12-01-2015, 06:08 PM
I feel dumb. Having double and triple checked all connections and wires, and having checked he polarity of the flasher multiple times, I found out the fuse blew very close to the terminal end, hidden behind the plastic. :s

Thanks everyone for all your help!