PDA

View Full Version : Celica GT-S or RSX-Type S, or just get a TSX

Typical_Chinese
11-30-2015, 05:06 PM
I've been looking for a GTS for a while now, and it's pretty damn hard to find a clean GTS for a reasonable price. For example, an 80k KM GTS is being sold by a dealership for $12k+ haha, and there's a GTS with a dent in the door for $6200, which is pretty reasonable actually. On the other hand, RSX Type-S cars are all over Kijiji.

I read some reviews, seems like the Celica and the RSX are pretty equal in terms of what people like. Overall consensus is that the RSX is going to be faster, and has a better mod base/market. I don't know if I'll really be modding though other than aesthetics, so modding doesn't make the RSX a better car for me over the Celica. However, I can't seem to find a Celica GTS at all, and the RSX Type S are pretty common, but I'm just worried that they'll be driven hard and be in poor condition

Alternatively, I've been looking at the TSX. Sure it'll be less fun to drive and less fast than the RSX, but it's more luxurious and comfortable, and more mature, and it looks very nice with minor aesthetic mods.

What do people think? My budget's around $7.5k, just looking for a reliable, fun car without and hassles or stuff!

403Gemini
11-30-2015, 05:08 PM
$7500 for one of the cars I would have killed to have when I was 21....

Kids are so spoiled these days.

IMO, get the RSX-S. Easier to find parts to fix it with. If I recall, the Celica has a transmission issue and has 20 less hp (also has the stigma of being a girls car)

HiSpec
11-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
$7500 for one of the cars I would have killed to have when I was 21....

Kids are so spoiled these days.

IMO, get the RSX-S. Easier to find parts to fix it with.

:werd:

I believe both the RSX-S or TSX is a good choice. Both have a reliable and competent motor.

Also, the 6MT in both cars are smooth and slick!!

tirebob
11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I may be wrong on this, but were not the RSX'S built in the US while the TSX is built in Japan? I would rather have the TSX over the RSX anyways (I prefer 4 doors over 2 doors for convenience) but even still, if I was picking one based on build quality, Japan over USA any day of the week!

A2VR6
11-30-2015, 06:32 PM
^ both were built in Japan. I've driven all 3 and I prefer the RSX-S to the Celiac. The k20 is a gem of a motor. The TSX and RSX drive very differently. The tsx is a little more softer, has a better ride and the k24 has a totally different power delivery to the k20. Imho the k24 is a little nicer to drive around town due to more low end torque.

BigShow
11-30-2015, 06:47 PM
80k km GTS, might be worth paying that extra premium if that's the car you're after.

A790
11-30-2015, 07:05 PM
TSX all the way.

Much easier to resell down the road.

relyt92
11-30-2015, 07:36 PM
I'd also hop on and say TSX. Still an absolute ton of aftermarket for the car, has some excellent headlights, and a lot more mature and comfortable.

Squishy
11-30-2015, 08:49 PM
I'll sell you my turbo 04 tsunami edition celica ;)

J.M.
11-30-2015, 10:03 PM
TSX. I've been looking for one myself haha

A790
11-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
TSX. I've been looking for one myself haha
Manhatten has one for sale right now in the marketplace.

Typical_Chinese
11-30-2015, 11:00 PM
I think between Reddit, googling and stuff, I'm leaning more and more towards the Type S or the TSX for now haha! Would also have to consider insurance though, hm..

InRich
12-01-2015, 12:04 AM
TSX or the RSX-S. Drop the celica. trash. have u even driven any of these cars? I remember the celica being sooooo bad when I was looking at them back in 2001. Bought the Prelude SE back then.

roll_over
12-01-2015, 12:07 AM
The obvious choice is a Honda Fit

Errol.
12-01-2015, 12:08 AM
I've owned a tsx and currently own a rsx type s. I wish i kept my tsx.

FunWheelDrive
12-01-2015, 01:49 AM
I bought an 07 TSX 6spd about two months ago and love it! I would get another one if I didn't have this one.

danno
12-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Kinda shocked about the love for the tsx, i like the rsx type s my self but maybe i need to look at the tsx.

Darkane
12-01-2015, 09:01 AM
'06+ tsx. Best 2.4 K Honda made thus far

Neil4Speed
12-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Both are great, but I really think the RSX-S is one of the best cars Acura made. Its hard to find a clean one, but just timeless styling. There is one in front of my building (late model year, I think an 05), in White and still looks beautiful. They also came in a nice bronzed orange.

Not sure what kind of stage you are in your life, but I would consider that. The TSX is a great car, but there is something really nice about having a coupe. The RSX is pretty practical too, good seating for 4 and with the hatch you can actually put things through.

The TSX is a heavier car, and definitely feels better built (less road noise etc).

Drive both and I'm sure you will figure out which one is "more you".

Asian_defender
12-01-2015, 10:08 AM
RSX all the way, that was the last good hatch that Honda will ever make
Only problem is the moisture in the headlights that makes the bulb burn out quickly. Otherwise its one of the most solid cars I've ever owned

Typical_Chinese
12-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Haha yea I'm actually surprised with all the TSX suggestions!

I'll probably have to go and test drive some, but so many people are like "NO LOWBALL NO TIRE KICKERS" so it's like wellllll thanks dude.

For myself, on one hand I'm pretty young and I tell myself that I'll have time to drive a more mature and refined car later on, but on the other hand I'm also in a professional degree/program, and park around some nice cars as well (in my beater haha), so I was like well maybe a TSX would be more suitable, but then it's like I shouldn't care what others think..

I'm actually surprised at how much room's in the back of the RSX! 19 cu ft of space, never imagined them to be so roomy!

403Gemini
12-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Don't be.

10 years ago, we all would have been saying RSX hands down - but now, we're all older and have kids or prefer a more mature look.

The TSX will age better with you. I used to HATE 4 door cars, that was until i hit my mid 20's (I'm 32 now) and now all i'd ever drive is 4 door. I do love coupes as a project/weekend sports car, but a daily driver - 4 door hands down.

A790
12-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
The TSX will age better with you. I used to HATE 4 door cars, that was until i hit my mid 20's (I'm 32 now) and now all i'd ever drive is 4 door. I do love coupes as a project/weekend sports car, but a daily driver - 4 door hands down.
This is 100% me.

Skyline_Addict
12-01-2015, 12:45 PM
The RSX-S (and TSX) are way better options than the Celica.

Typical_Chinese
12-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Will try and test drive the RSX Type S and the TSX maybe as early as this weekend! Yea this is going to be my only car, and I need to drive it basically every day, whatever weather and stuff, and I'll have rotations and stuff next year in rural places too around Alberta so I think a 4-door will probably be more useful hey?

A790
12-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Typical_Chinese
Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Will try and test drive the RSX Type S and the TSX maybe as early as this weekend! Yea this is going to be my only car, and I need to drive it basically every day, whatever weather and stuff, and I'll have rotations and stuff next year in rural places too around Alberta so I think a 4-door will probably be more useful hey?
A 4 door offers more utility and is easier to resell. The market for old sport compacts/coupes is much smaller compared to the market for older sedans, especially sedans that start with the letter A.

haggis88
12-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Battering around rural AB in a FWD Honda sucks ass...especially if you modify the suspension

How rural are you talking here? I got stuck with a Civic in Grande Prairie a few months ago and it was a disaster on the back roads out there, if it was winter there's no chance i would have made it anywhere

I've owned a lot of Hondas, and the RSX-S ranks up there amongst the top 3 (1. JRSC EP3-R, 2. Accord Type-R, 3. RSX-S)

Celica's weren't even that good when they came out...it doesn't feel like only 10hp less than the RSX-S

Are you thinking of a TSX Type-S or just a base?

I've never driven one, but family friends had the UKDM Accord 2.2 Diesel (same chassis and body as the TSX) and other than it feeling a bit "boaty", I quite liked it :)

Typical_Chinese
12-01-2015, 01:54 PM
I was only looking at the base models for the TSX haha. An alternative is a Subaru 2.5rs or maybe a 2.5i, those look pretty good but for the Rs I'm just worried about the head gasket problems.

If I can find a clean Impreza, either 2.5RS or 2.5i, I'd probably go for it over the RSX or TSX. There's a guy who PM'd me with three pictures of his 2007 2.5i sedan, looks crazy clean, only concern if I have no idea if I'll be able to afford it since he said he hasn't decided on a price yet haha.

Umm there's going to be "rural" towns like Okotoks and spend a week or two on call there, and there's going to be actual rural-rural places like Brooks, Cardston and Cold Lake where we also spend a few weeks in on call. So I think we live in trailers or like in town at a motel or something so I mean I don't think we'll be driving in gravel roads and stuff too too often..I should just buy a truck..or a Forester lol

yellowsnow
12-01-2015, 02:12 PM
haha, i remember when i bought my rsx. was comparing it to the celica as well. The celica was way too cramped for me. i'm 5'11", 170lbs, and i felt like it way way too tiny inside.

HiSpec
12-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by haggis88

Are you thinking of a TSX Type-S or just a base?

We never got a TSX-S here in NA.

I was only looking at the base models for the TSX haha. An alternative is a Subaru 2.5rs or maybe a 2.5i, those look pretty good but for the Rs I'm just worried about the head gasket problems.

The head gasket and valve cover gasket are not expensive to change if you do the work yourself... and if you have a tiny hands. That's another reason I will avoid another older Subaru myself...

Neil4Speed
12-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Just throwing it out there, a nice clean IS300 (if they exist), would be a good option too!

Typical_Chinese
12-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

The head gasket and valve cover gasket are not expensive to change if you do the work yourself... and if you have a tiny hands. That's another reason I will avoid another older Subaru myself...

Haha I definitely don't know how to do work myself :/ I've seen some pretty decent 2007ish 2.5i around that might work haha

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Just throwing it out there, a nice clean IS300 (if they exist), would be a good option too!

Ooh, those are the Altezzas right? Always loved how they looked but I heard they had problems like Snow Mode always being turned on even in the summer, and something about the dash melting if it go too hot LOL

g-m
12-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

The head gasket and valve cover gasket are not expensive to change if you do the work yourself... and if you have a tiny hands. That's another reason I will avoid another older Subaru myself... can you even get the head bolts out with the engine in? Much easier to remove the engine. The turbo lines would be a MAJOR problem as well

Typical_Chinese
12-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Been surfing around Kijiji...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-saab-9-2x-awd-4-cyl-keyless-entry/1104152183

$8k for under 120,000kms, looks pretty clean, hatchback for practicality and AWD for snow + rural areas (granted, I'll mostly be in town and on main roads).

Other than Saab having no dealers in town and the infamous "lose your key pay $2000 for one copy" thing, any problems with Saabs?

And what do people think of the Nissan Sentra Spec V (SER)? 200hp ish I think and a pretty good 0-60 time

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-nissan-sentra-se-r-spec-v-remote-start/1120490934?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Seems fun, and I think it's LSD.

wintonyk
12-01-2015, 06:50 PM

Ooh, those are the Altezzas right? Always loved how they looked but I heard they had problems like Snow Mode always being turned on even in the summer, and something about the dash melting if it go too hot LOL

Sister in law has an is300 none of those issues. Pretty safe to say that if the cars dash hasn't melted by now, it probably won't. I think by 02 this was also solved.

I personally love the look of these guys too. Not super ballsy but they are styled nicely.

Speed_69
12-01-2015, 11:10 PM
I have a TSX and love it!! Not exactly a fast car but it's still fun to drive, practical and reliable. It has excellent handling for a FWD sedan and it's still stylish for an older vehicle. I plan on keeping mine for a long time.

AutodreamMarvin
12-01-2015, 11:45 PM
I have an RSX Type S and wished I had a TSX.

The thing I hate about the Celica is the rear quarter view, it's almost impossible to see out of it.
It is extremely responsive to input though, but really lacking in torque.

AutodreamMarvin
12-01-2015, 11:46 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/acura-rsx-type-s-vs-vw-new-beetle-turbo-s-hyundai-tiburon-gt-v-6-toyota-celica-gt-s-mitsubishi-eclipse-gts-comparison-tests

Comparison between the Celica and RSX when new

Typical_Chinese
12-02-2015, 12:47 AM
Sweet, once again thanks for all the help! Will keep my eyes out for a clean TSX, or hopefully a clean 2.5i or something!

I can find 2004 TSX's pretty easily, but the 2006 ones seem to be overall better; generally, would you rather go for a 2004 that's cheaper or a 2006 that's more expensive? Are the extra features in a 2006 worth the extra cost, assuming mileage is the same between a 2004 and 2006?

Thanks!!

J.M.
12-02-2015, 01:53 AM
I would go for the '06+ model. Updated front and rear exterior + the extra features are worth it IMO. This guy offered to sell me his '06 TSX around 2 years ago and I still regret not buying it haha.

Typical_Chinese
12-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Sweet, I'll take a look at those! I'm still considering the ~2007 2.5i Imprezas haha, hawkeyes are so sexy :<

Also, since the IS300 is RWD, even with snow tires, would it not be as suitable for winter as a FWD? I mean sure in like Calgary it's probably fine, but just thinking a bit longer term when I have to go out of the city, etc. Would be a lot more fun though :D

AA2001
12-02-2015, 10:23 AM
I owned a 2004 Celica GTS and really did like it. It had everything that I wanted and it was super easy to work on. It was the Tsumani edition and looked very nice! But......after driving the RSX-S, I knew that I wanted to sell the GTS and get a Type S. I sold the GTS and for a Type S and have loved it since. More power, more available mods, and I personally think it looks nicer. (plus it's a Honda........):drool:

Skyline_Addict
12-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Sweet, I'll take a look at those! I'm still considering the ~2007 2.5i Imprezas haha, hawkeyes are so sexy :&lt;

Also, since the IS300 is RWD, even with snow tires, would it not be as suitable for winter as a FWD? I mean sure in like Calgary it's probably fine, but just thinking a bit longer term when I have to go out of the city, etc. Would be a lot more fun though :D

Anyone who tells you fwd is 'safer' or 'better' than a rwd in winter, is probably a terrible driver or heard it from other people and has never driven a rwd car. Proper winter tires and not driving like a moron, won't matter what car you drive.

I drove an is300 in winter and never had a single problem. I had a 2004 and did not have any issues you outlined in a previous post about the dash or snow mode.

Typical_Chinese
12-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Ah sweet, thanks for that info! Never drove a RWD before so it's just what I've been hearing and stuff haha!

Are there large differences between the TSX and the TL? Around the 2006ish years.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/reduced-to-sell-2006-acura-tl-w-navigation-pkg-sedan/1117368214?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

For example, that TL is the price of a TSX, similar KM and stuff too, but I always thought the TL was "better" than the TSX, at least in terms of luxury haha. The TL has a larger engine, but is also slightly heavier, and the 0-100km times are similar between the two. The TL and TSX also look quite similar.

Finally, what do people think about an Infiniti G35x? AWD and pretty fast and luxurious, a bit more expensive though, and I'm not sure about maintenance and all that.

Thank you!!

J.M.
12-02-2015, 02:41 PM
You're all over the place with your choices lol. Celica, RSX, TSX, Saab, Sentra, Impreza, TL, IS300 and now G35x

Get a truck bruh
:poosie:

Typical_Chinese
12-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Haha it's just TSX/TL, Impreza and G35x for now haha! Ditched the Celica, RSX, Saab and Sentra hahaha, and didn't end up really liking the IS300.

It'll probably be down to test-driving them, but wanted to know if there were any problems with either of the vehicles like high maintenance or something

Neil4Speed
12-02-2015, 03:02 PM
I was just thinking this morning, if your going to go for a TSX, the TL is right around the same price and you have a car with more power and more luxurious.

One more to throw your way, a 2003 Acura CL-S 6 Speed. A really fun manual car only produced for a single year. Extremely comfortable and reliable. Surprisingly there are a few for sale in Alberta - they are a fair bit below your budget as well. It also has a LSD from the factory and a super sweet manual.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-acura-cl-type-s-coupe-2-door/1122312565?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'd recommend against a G35x, reliabiility is subpar, and interior fit and finish quality is poor.

Skyline_Addict
12-02-2015, 03:05 PM
If reliability and lower maintenance costs are a big deal, I'd stick with the Acuras

Typical_Chinese
12-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Yea reliability and maintenance is kind of a big factor for me just because I only have one car, and no garage (apartment), and because the only thing I know how to do is oil change (which isn't allowed in my apartment complex; hell I got a warning letter last time I wetsanded my headlights), I need to pay someone to fix anything that comes up!

Thanks for the headsup for the G35x's. The G37 ones are out of my budget, but man they're nice haha.

I've never even heard of the CL-S haha! Might have seen them around though.

There's a guy who PM'd me a few pictures of his 2007 2.5i, has an aftermarket STI wing on it haha, I'll upload it when I get home! Looks really clean, but prob reliability will be lower than a TSX/TL.

Currently leaning towards an Acura tbh, and I'll give the CL-S a search! If prices and KMs are similar, a TL would be the better pick out of the TSX/TL "battle" right? I'm looking at around 150-180k km cars atm

Skyline_Addict
12-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Single it down to 1-2 different cars, become informed on what to look out for with those cars, then only search for those cars on kijiji, autotrader, etc. Otherwise you're never going to buy a car and you'll frustrate yourself.

sneek
12-02-2015, 03:56 PM
The first gen TSX's are fantastic. They are light relative to the TL, and as a result you will use less gas and pay less in maintenance. The cost to maintain the V6 i in a TL or CL is going to be higher than the simple K24 in the TSX. One other thing to watch out for is that certain TL's and CL's have touchy transmissions. I believe only 04/05 use the weak auto but you will have to do your homework on that because it has been ages since I have looked.

I've owned a 3rd and 4th gen TL and my sister had a TSX. No matter what you chose, you won't really feel let down, but keeping your budget and living situation in mind...I would get a TSX.

relyt92
12-02-2015, 08:47 PM
I used a CL-S at one point and it's probably the only car I've owned that I regret getting rid of. Was an excellent car for sure. What sneek said is true though, if you're getting an automatic go to at least 06+ as that's when most of the issues were finally ironed out. Only took like 8 years.

ROBOCOP
12-02-2015, 11:28 PM
One of the more informative threads I've read on beyond in a while! Pretty simply put, want 2 door? RSX, 4 door? TSX. Both are great choices IMO and IS 300 would be worth looking into as well, if you go the 4 door route. I've owned plenty of two doors but once I went 4 door, I could never go back to 2 door again. It's a pain in the ass in any situation lol

Neil4Speed
12-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by sneek
The first gen TSX's are fantastic. They are light relative to the TL, and as a result you will use less gas and pay less in maintenance. The cost to maintain the V6 i in a TL or CL is going to be higher than the simple K24 in the TSX. One other thing to watch out for is that certain TL's and CL's have touchy transmissions. I believe only 04/05 use the weak auto but you will have to do your homework on that because it has been ages since I have looked.

I've owned a 3rd and 4th gen TL and my sister had a TSX. No matter what you chose, you won't really feel let down, but keeping your budget and living situation in mind...I would get a TSX.

Yes your right on the TL's I think it was the 2004/2005's. Anything between 99-03 on the 3.2TL's Auto's had serious issues.

6-Speed CL's didn't have any transmission problems though, only go for the 6-speed if your getting one.

You absolutely can't go wrong with a TSX either.

Typical_Chinese
12-06-2015, 12:58 PM
How do these look?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2004-acura-tsx-premium-remote-starter/1123884532?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-acura-tsx/1122447868?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

relyt92
12-06-2015, 01:15 PM
How do these look?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2004-acura-tsx-premium-remote-starter/1123884532?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-acura-tsx/1122447868?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true The second one needs an OOP before you could register it, if you look into that I'd put a condition on any offer that it has to pass OOP before you'd buy it.

Typical_Chinese
12-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Yea I was thinking about that - never done an OOP before. When I bought my current car, I paid for the whatever 70-point or whatnot inspection at a mechanic at my own cost and it wasn't expensive or anything.

Is an OOP inspection expensive? And if it fails it, that'd be my money I just spent for the inspection right, just like any other inspection?

Neil4Speed
12-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Yea I was thinking about that - never done an OOP before. When I bought my current car, I paid for the whatever 70-point or whatnot inspection at a mechanic at my own cost and it wasn't expensive or anything.

Is an OOP inspection expensive? And if it fails it, that'd be my money I just spent for the inspection right, just like any other inspection?

Thats right, they are around $130 if I recall correctly. You may be able to get a good deal on this car due to most people not wanting to do an OOP. I'd also be mindful that there might be a reason why the seller is not doing it himself.

Typical_Chinese
12-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Sweet, thanks! I'll make sure my mechanic is "qualified" for an OOP, and maybe shoot the guy an email after.

Sorry for being so indecisive..but what about 2006+ Civic SIs? I like how the 4DRs look, and these cars are fun as well! It's basically like the middle ground between a RSX Type S and TSX, no? For my budget, I can find more Civic SIs than TSXs..(and can't afford CSX Type S, though the leather is nice sigh..)

Thanks again!

HiSpec
12-06-2015, 11:36 PM
The Si has LSD so that's plus

Typical_Chinese
12-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Really just need to get out there and test drive. Might realize I hate a particular car haha. Should I look for dealerships to test drive, or just say fuck it and test drive a private seller's car even if I'm not sure if I'll like that car anyways? Don't want to annoy someone or anything like that..

mrsingh
12-06-2015, 11:57 PM
How do these look?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-acura-tsx/1122447868?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Of all the cars you've discussed, I own an IS300 and have owned a TSX.

My IS300 is an' 02 and I have never seen the issues you've talked about. The melting dash is a non-issue here in Calgary; maybe a concern if you are in a hotter climate like Texas, Arizona or California. I can't comment on how it is in snow because I don't winter drive mine; it is very clean and sits pretty low on coilovers and I have a truck I owned from before that I use in the cold months.

The TSX was a wonderful car, it was very good in winter, had a slick shifting six speed, was comfortable, had good looks and solid handling for a FWD car. I only dumped mine because the mileage was starting to get up there. That being said, do not buy a '04 or '05, the early ones are known to burn oil - no this is not a rumour, I know several people who had that problem and it is well documented in the forums. Get an '06+, or if you plan on tuning it later with a Hondata get an '07-08.

If I needed another car right now I would find a white '07 TSX six speed with an A-spec kit from BC, drop it slightly on some nice wheels and call it a day. It really is still one of my all time favourite affordable cars.

Good luck with the search!

Skyline_Addict
12-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Really just need to get out there and test drive. Might realize I hate a particular car haha. Should I look for dealerships to test drive, or just say fuck it and test drive a private seller's car even if I'm not sure if I'll like that car anyways? Don't want to annoy someone or anything like that..

holy. just get out there are start viewing cars. most private sales will let you test drive, and if they don't, it's probably a car to steer away from. why do you care if the seller gets annoyed if you don't end up buying the car? be assertive and get this done, lol.

Typical_Chinese
12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Yea I'm going to do that this weekend! Going to see this one unless it gets sold before the weekend hits:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2002-acura-rsx-type-s-coupe-2-door/1120054378?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What do people think? Pretty low KMs, car looks good (but I mean it just went through a car wash). Is 2002 too old for $7000?

This ones up in Edmonton so I won't be able to see it until later in December, but it has around 10k more KMs, but is 4 years newer and $900 more pricy. Not stock though; should I go up to Edmonton to see this guy:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/06-rsx-type-s/1122293745?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Finally, this one is slightly over budget at $8500 but I've sent him an email; been on the market over a month so might already be sold and he hasn't taken it down. Looks beautiful!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-acura-rsx-type-s/1115425178?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

For the Civic SI and the TSX I sort of know what to look for and also plan on seeing two TSXs this weekend. Haven't found a good Civic SI though.

Thank you so much once again everyone, I know I've been super indecisive haha!

snowcat
12-07-2015, 05:52 PM
I've owned a TSX, so I will add to the love for that car. It was fantastic.

Neil4Speed
12-07-2015, 10:20 PM
18 year old me is so excited for you right now!

Typical_Chinese
12-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Haha I'm excited too! Also checking out a 2.5RS, 2002. Couldn't find a hawkeye 2.5i sedan to test (there are two I think in Edmonton), so I'll get a "taste" of it via the 2.5RS for now. Though they'll def be more "boring" than the RSX Type S, Civic SI and the TSX, but hey the AWD will be nice.

Thank you everyone for your help! I will report back and then probably have a billion more questions again hahaha

Canucks3322
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Your choices are so typical Chinese haha

relyt92
12-08-2015, 12:17 AM
I'd say TSX>SI>Type S>Impreza from your current choices.

jaylo
12-10-2015, 10:13 PM
I'd vote for Civic Si 4 door, and later on upgrade to TSX when you get bored of redlining the Civic Si

black300
12-11-2015, 08:25 AM
What's your budget?

I really liked the 2007+ G35x. A lot of power and great in winters with the AWD. However fuel economy isn't the best compared to a TSX or even TL.

I had a 2006 Acura TL w/ Nav. I loved that car, it was such a pleasure to drive. Has all the fancy options for that decade and lots of power.

Mine had about 140k when I decided to sell it.

TSX's are awesome as well, a friend of mine sold his first one to his sister. Than bought an Accord but sold that as well and bought another TSX.

I personally like the TL better. 2 Door is great if your young but eventually you will want something larger.

RSX-S I would get 2005+ due to the refreshed front & rear.

G-ZUS
12-11-2015, 09:02 AM
02 RSx for 7K :rofl:

Typical_Chinese
12-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Thought I'd come back with a quick little upgrade:

Even after everyone told me to go TSX over the RSX-s, I just had to try it out to sort of "come to terms" with it, and although I couldn't try the Type S (tried a Premium I believe), I felt like it was enough to sort of turn me away haha. Don't get me wrong, car was fun, I just realized I really did want the practicality of four doors, and the interior is really not something I was looking for (I have at least three friends who love bare-boned/super simple interiors so the car is like as "car-like" as possible and when they're driving it's just "them and the car").

I test drove a 2005 Acura TL at a dealership, and a 2006 TSX, both automatic (It's so hard to find a manual for the TL especially!). The TL definitely felt bigger, heavier and such but I felt more comfortable in it, and the extra power was much appreciated. The TSX felt quite underpowered even to me (I drive a like, 100 hp car lol), but it feels more "nimble" or (I'm not too sure how to describe it) just has better handling.

Overall, I think I prefer the TL a bit more than the TSX, but bottom line is if there's a great TSX deal I'd jump on it (like there weren't any dealbreakers for either cars). I did some reading online and apparently I should look for 06+ TSX's and TL's though, which I'll do.

I'm also looking at 05-07 Infiniti G35x's, they're only automatics but apparently still very fun to drive. The rev-up problem and other transmission problems seem to only plague the manual cars, and overall looking at the maintenance schedules and common problems of the car it doesn't seem too expensive to maintain either.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Skyline_Addict
12-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Thought I'd come back with a quick little upgrade:

Even after everyone told me to go TSX over the RSX-s, I just had to try it out to sort of &quot;come to terms&quot; with it, and although I couldn't try the Type S (tried a Premium I believe), I felt like it was enough to sort of turn me away haha. Don't get me wrong, car was fun, I just realized I really did want the practicality of four doors, and the interior is really not something I was looking for (I have at least three friends who love bare-boned/super simple interiors so the car is like as &quot;car-like&quot; as possible and when they're driving it's just &quot;them and the car&quot;).

I test drove a 2005 Acura TL at a dealership, and a 2006 TSX, both automatic (It's so hard to find a manual for the TL especially!). The TL definitely felt bigger, heavier and such but I felt more comfortable in it, and the extra power was much appreciated. The TSX felt quite underpowered even to me (I drive a like, 100 hp car lol), but it feels more &quot;nimble&quot; or (I'm not too sure how to describe it) just has better handling.

Overall, I think I prefer the TL a bit more than the TSX, but bottom line is if there's a great TSX deal I'd jump on it (like there weren't any dealbreakers for either cars). I did some reading online and apparently I should look for 06+ TSX's and TL's though, which I'll do.

I'm also looking at 05-07 Infiniti G35x's, they're only automatics but apparently still very fun to drive. The rev-up problem and other transmission problems seem to only plague the manual cars, and overall looking at the maintenance schedules and common problems of the car it doesn't seem too expensive to maintain either.

Thank you everyone for your help!

You really can't go wrong with a TL or TSX. The G35s are nice too, potential for more mechanical issues relative to the Acuras but a nice pick up if the car is in good shape.

Typical_Chinese
12-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

You really can't go wrong with a TL or TSX. The G35s are nice too, potential for more mechanical issues relative to the Acuras but a nice pick up if the car is in good shape.

Yea definitely, I'm keeping my eyes out for those three. In general, it's been hard finding a low KM G35x, but prices are, I think, quite reasonable, around $8000 for a ~180000km car, but I'm not too sure. On the other hand, the TL's and TSX's seem to be lower in KM, and prices are a bit higher than $8000. I haven't found any decent 2006+ Acura TSX though. The TSX I just felt like it was more boring than the TL, for a similar price as the TL; fuel economy doesn't really bother me that much either.

Here are the three cars I found:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-infiniti-g35x/1123628496?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2007-g35x-awd-nav/1127278412?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2007-acura-tl-white-sedan-fully-loaded/1127502433?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Worth noting is that the two Infiniti's here messaged my "Wanted" ad on Kijiji, and the 2006 one messaged me with a price of $8000 and the 2007 one messaged me with $8500. However, the 2007 one has 186300 kilometers, AND NOT 176300.

The Acura is up in Edmonton which is a bit less convenient and I'll prob do a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer or Crappy Tire because I don't know anyone in Edmonton, so that might be a downside?

I'll have to go drive a G35x first before deciding that they're good for me though haha.

Skidro
12-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Personally I would not go for the g35 especially if you are looking for ones with 180k. I'd go for the updated engine as they don't burn oil (as much?)

That Acura looked like a sweet deal, maybe try to see if someone in Edmonton could check it for you, I'm sure there are some edmontonians on beyond

bjstare
12-21-2015, 05:07 PM

Yea definitely, I'm keeping my eyes out for those three. In general, it's been hard finding a low KM G35x, but prices are, I think, quite reasonable, around $8000 for a ~180000km car, but I'm not too sure. On the other hand, the TL's and TSX's seem to be lower in KM, and prices are a bit higher than $8000. I haven't found any decent 2006+ Acura TSX though. The TSX I just felt like it was more boring than the TL, for a similar price as the TL; fuel economy doesn't really bother me that much either.

Here are the three cars I found:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-infiniti-g35x/1123628496?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2007-g35x-awd-nav/1127278412?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2007-acura-tl-white-sedan-fully-loaded/1127502433?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Worth noting is that the two Infiniti's here messaged my &quot;Wanted&quot; ad on Kijiji, and the 2006 one messaged me with a price of $8000 and the 2007 one messaged me with $8500. However, the 2007 one has 186300 kilometers, AND NOT 176300.

The Acura is up in Edmonton which is a bit less convenient and I'll prob do a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer or Crappy Tire because I don't know anyone in Edmonton, so that might be a downside?

I'll have to go drive a G35x first before deciding that they're good for me though haha.

Make sure you look at both 06 and 07 G35's so you can make an informed decision. The two cars are completely different, the 07 is a notable improvement over the 06 (both inside and out). Also, the 05/06 rev-up oil consumption issue is there on both manual and auto cars - it doesn't matter which transmission it's got. I would stay away from 05/06 altogether because of that potential problem.

I've got a 07 G35S sedan, and aside from the fact that it's not the fastest car, I'm overall very happy with it. And it's been just as reliable as all the Acuras and Hondas I've had over the years (a bunch).

relyt92
12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Make sure you look at both 06 and 07 G35's so you can make an informed decision. The two cars are completely different, the 07 is a notable improvement over the 06 (both inside and out). Also, the 05/06 rev-up oil consumption issue is there on both manual and auto cars - it doesn't matter which transmission it's got. I would stay away from 05/06 altogether because of that potential problem.

I've got a 07 G35S sedan, and aside from the fact that it's not the fastest car, I'm overall very happy with it. And it's been just as reliable as all the Acuras and Hondas I've had over the years (a bunch). I'd second with going 07+ if you go with Infiniti, a much better car for sure. The 07 G35 would be quite a bit quicker than the TL, and should be fairly reliable still. I don't think you could go wrong with a G or the TL.

Typical_Chinese
12-21-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm being super, super superficial/stupid right now haha, but the reason I like the 2006 one (for that listing) is because the black and the spoiler makes it look so nice haha! But yea, I read a few threads on an Infiniti forum and the 07+ is definitely more worth it; can't afford an 08 though, they're all in the $13k+ range! Even most of the 07's are in that range, but granted they do have lower KMs.

I checked the maintenance schedule of a G35x, and it seems like at 120000 miles, or around 190000 km, the most major maintenance that needs to be done is a bunch of fluid flushes, and the drive belt replacement (serpentine belt). I'm not a car person, but a quick Googling makes it seem like these things are quite cheap to fix.

The Acura does seem pretty darn sweet, if it was in Calgary I'd have looked at it immediately, because the lack of photos, aftermarket bulbs and the spoiler isn't very enticing right now. Price seems very fair though , but I bet it needs a timing belt change at that KM, along with the water pump stuff and such.

Power_Of_Rotary
12-21-2015, 09:40 PM
I have owned and driven many Japanese cars. And by far the worst maker is Nissan/Infiniti.

The quality and factory defects (that warranty does not want to cover) is ridiculous. My family and I have owned 2 new Nissans and 1 infiniti. Complete utter disappointment. Go with Honda.

Skyline_Addict
12-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
I have owned and driven many Japanese cars. And by far the worst maker is Nissan/Infiniti.

The quality and factory defects (that warranty does not want to cover) is ridiculous. My family and I have owned 2 new Nissans and 1 infiniti. Complete utter disappointment. Go with Honda.

You need to own a DBA R35 ;)

Typical_Chinese
12-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Heading up to Edmonton for New Years, was thinking of checking this TSX out, but it's a bit out of my budget:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2006-acura-tsx/1114860771?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This one's in Calgary and I emailed him already, but no reply yet: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-acura-tsx-sedan-low-mileage-fully-loaded-with-nav/1122283661?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

relyt92
12-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Heading up to Edmonton for New Years, was thinking of checking this TSX out, but it's a bit out of my budget:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2006-acura-tsx/1114860771?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This one's in Calgary and I emailed him already, but no reply yet: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-acura-tsx-sedan-low-mileage-fully-loaded-with-nav/1122283661?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true Have you looked at this? They've had it for over a month so they might be willing to move a bit 2005 TL (http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/TL/Calgary/Alberta/5_26030766_CT200548103042706/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=14_15_68)

Typical_Chinese
12-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Yup! That's the one I test drove. It was pretty good, I mean the TL in general. It just feels really big but I guess the power makes up for it, as well as the interior and I personally like how the TL looks over the TSX. However, I was told pre 06 I think models had problems with their auto trannys though, and a big reason for me to go with the TSX is because it has a timing chain, so that saves me a bit of money on repairs right, especially with most TLs around the 180k km mark?

However, at $8000 if I can get it down lower since it's still there after so long the money I saved could go towards a timing belt fix haha

03ozwhip
12-27-2015, 08:32 PM
The auto issues were pre 04 on the TL. You should be fine on any 04+

relyt92
12-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Yup! That's the one I test drove. It was pretty good, I mean the TL in general. It just feels really big but I guess the power makes up for it, as well as the interior and I personally like how the TL looks over the TSX. However, I was told pre 06 I think models had problems with their auto trannys though, and a big reason for me to go with the TSX is because it has a timing chain, so that saves me a bit of money on repairs right, especially with most TLs around the 180k km mark?

However, at $8000 if I can get it down lower since it's still there after so long the money I saved could go towards a timing belt fix haha 05+ and you should be ok on the TL, just don't get an 04. The timing belt/water pump is definitely a consideration, they claim it's been maintained there so you should be able to see when it was done and if it's due soon maybe see if they can work that into the price. The TL will also be an easier resell down the road. If this is going to be your DD, I'd say a TL will probably be friendlier than a TSX will be, although they're both good cars.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
The auto issues were pre 04 on the TL. You should be fine on any 04+
Early 04's had issues as well, but from 05+ should be fine.

gyu
12-28-2015, 01:21 AM
I'd save a little extra and get the tsx.

Speed_69
12-28-2015, 09:06 AM

However, at $8000 if I can get it down lower since it's still there after so long the money I saved could go towards a timing belt fix haha

TSX's are great cars but don't assume that just because a car has a timing chain, that you'll never have to replace it. There are instances where you may need to (although rare). K series engines are somewhat known to have weak timing chain tensioners. The tensioner spring fails therefore having timing chain slack and afterwards you may have to replace the tensioner, chain and guides. I was having issues with my vehicle where Silverhill Acura misdiagnosed the problem but to replace the tensioner, chain, guides, etc..it was going to cost ~$1,900.

Other common problems with the TSX include AC compressor failure and balance shaft chain tensioner failure (just had my failed one replaced couple months ago for $500).

HiSpec
12-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

TSX's are great cars but don't assume that just because a car has a timing chain, that you'll never have to replace it. There are instances where you may need to (although rare). K series engines are somewhat known to have weak timing chain tensioners. The tensioner spring fails therefore having timing chain slack and afterwards you may have to replace the tensioner, chain and guides. I was having issues with my vehicle where Silverhill Acura misdiagnosed the problem but to replace the tensioner, chain, guides, etc..it was going to cost ~$1,900.

Other common problems with the TSX include AC compressor failure and balance shaft chain tensioner failure (just had my failed one replaced couple months ago for $500).

Does any of these issues show any symptoms?