PDA

View Full Version : Bill 206 : Recall Legislation for the Alberta MLAs

phreezee
12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Not that the bill would ever pass but the Wildrose have submitted Bill 206, the Recall Act, would give voters the option of applying to Elections Alberta for a recall petition if they are unhappy with their elected representative.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/wildrose-proposes-recall-legislation-for-mlas

Not that petitions do much, but the count is close to 42000 and closing in on their 50000 signature goal.

https://www.change.org/p/the-alberta-government-ndp-implement-recall-legislation-for-the-alberta-legislature?source_location=petition_footer&algorithm=promoted

lilmira
12-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Kinda like, well you looked hot last night and all. Then I woke up this morning and wondered who the heck are you, get out of my house.

FraserB
12-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Even with 100,000 signatures, the bill will never pass. The NDP knows as soon as it did, they'd get decimated. Since they know they are gone in a few years, they need all the time they can get to push their agenda.

94boosted
12-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Even if it did pass getting 20% of people in their local riding to sign a petition to get rid of their MLA in 60 days and pony up $5K would be a tall order IMO

sabad66
12-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Even if it did pass getting 20% of people in their local riding to sign a petition to get rid of their MLA in 60 days and pony up $5K would be a tall order IMO
I would happily sign whatever and donate $10 if it meant we could have another by-election in my riding. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

HiTempguy1
12-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

I don't think you quite understand the anger currently in this province. I'm surprised the NDP isn't riding around in bullet-proof vehicles honestly.

Feruk
12-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Hey, some of you idiots didn't do your research and voted for NDP. Enjoy the government you wanted. This bill is a waste of time.

suntan
12-01-2015, 02:47 PM
BC has very similar legislation. Never been used. Has been threatened.

Ca_Silvia13
12-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Signatures would be easy but more than likely the 5k would come from a business with interests in a new candidate. But who to vote for? Lib and Cons barely have any representation left. So automatic WR vote?

vengie
12-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Hey, some of you idiots didn't do your research and voted for NDP. Enjoy the government you wanted. This bill is a waste of time.

Exactly this.

My facebook is inundated with people who campaigned for the NDP during the election that have now started blasting the NDP.

I explained to them during the election that this exact thing would happen, but they chose to vote out of emotion, and not apply the logic filter.

It fucking sucks, but I hope they all learned a valuable lesson.

revelations
12-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by vengie

Sadly, most wont learn. Thats why history repeats itself.

bjstare
12-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by vengie

Exactly this.

My facebook is inundated with people who campaigned for the NDP during the election that have now started blasting the NDP.

I explained to them during the election that this exact thing would happen, but they chose to vote out of emotion, and not apply the logic filter.

Generally speaking, the voting public is a bunch of fucking dummies. Guaranteed no one learned valuable lessons, and they'll vote out of emotion next time too. Same goes for "strategic voting", what a pile of horse shit.

:werd:

Xtrema
12-01-2015, 04:57 PM

This law will either never be used like in BC or we will never have a functioning government because of constant recalls.

It is what it is. You don't like it, come up with a better horse in the race and not change the track or rules.

phreezee
12-01-2015, 05:09 PM
^^^ Never? A little more than once a year.

"Only 26 recall petitions have been approved by Elections B.C. since the law came into force in 1995. "

The whole thing is just a symbolic statement at this point, but says a lot when the NDP haven't even been in power a year and have managed to piss this many people off.

suntan
12-01-2015, 05:12 PM
The petitions have happened, but none amounted to anything. One MLA did resign, I guess because they saw the writing on the wall.

phreezee
12-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by suntan
The petitions have happened, but none amounted to anything. One MLA did resign, I guess because they saw the writing on the wall.

Ah, ok. Thx for the clarification.