PDA

View Full Version : New garborator - connect to dishwasher?

Mitsu3000gt
12-01-2015, 11:06 AM
I need a new garborator, so I was looking at how mine is installed, seems pretty simple however my dishwasher drain pump hose is connected into it. This does not seem ideal, and looking around online some people say it's totally normal, others said that's an old way of doing it. It would be dumping abrasives and other crap into there. To me it looks like that hose should be able to empty anywhere where there's open air above it, and may not have to go into my garborator.

So what is the best way to go about this? Should I just attach my dishwasher drain pump hose to my new garborator, or put a connector somewhere else in the plumbing under my sinks? I was thinking I could put it just below the mouth of the other sink side that didn't have the garborator.

TIA

ExtraSlow
12-01-2015, 11:22 AM
In my opinion, better NOT to dump into garburator. If you do it that way, if you have any debris is your garburator that is slowing down the draining, it's messing with the efficiency of your dishwasher cycles, and could mean it's not emptying out properly.

spike98
12-01-2015, 11:28 AM
I had this configuration once and although it kept the dishwasher a little cleaner I still had to empty filters.

Another issue was that the drain would start to stink. If i didn't use the garborator regularly, the food or whatnot from the dishwater would collect and start to smell. To combat this, i had to make sure i rant the garborator once a day to rinse it out.

zieg
12-01-2015, 02:24 PM
You should be able to tee into the drain no problem.

Mitsu3000gt
12-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. Ordered this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.ca/Waste-King-L-8000-Horse-Disposer/dp/B000DZGN7Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm going to re-do the plumbing anyway so I will take your advice and attach the dishwasher drain to the other non-garborator side of my sink.

spike98
12-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Curious as to why you aren't going with insinkerator? They seem to be the gold standard.

I am in the market for one at my current house.

Mitsu3000gt
12-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Curious as to why you aren't going with insinkerator? They seem to be the gold standard.

I am in the market for one at my current house.

Too many bad reviews on the Insinkerator models in my price range, and Consumer Reports had this model (with a lifetime warranty) rated #1, well above Insinkerator's $450 flagship unit at less than half the price. They measured noise, speed, and how finely it ground various food and vegetable scraps. This one also spins almost twice as fast as Insinkerator's flagship (2800 RPM vs 1725 RPM).

Also the POS I have now that cracked and is leaking everywhere is an entry-level Insinkerator that only costs $20 less than this Waste King unit. For $20 more I get 50% more power, lifetime warranty (instead of 2 years), sound insulation (vs none), all stainless steel parts (vs galvanized), etc. It just seemed better in every way. On amazon.com it also has over 4,000 reviews and 4.6/5 stars.

I didn't have the usual amount of time to do research, but after a couple days of research I couldn't find anything better at any price, and this one happened to be about what I wanted to spend. It's also made in the USA and includes a power cord kit.

You can also buy it with an Insinkerator compatible sink-mount to make the install even easier, if you're replacing an old unit.

suntan
12-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Wow that's a great price for the Waste King.

spike98
12-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Too many bad reviews on the Insinkerator models in my price range, and Consumer Reports had this model (with a lifetime warranty) rated #1, well above Insinkerator's $450 flagship unit at less than half the price. They measured noise, speed, and how finely it ground various food and vegetable scraps. This one also spins almost twice as fast as Insinkerator's flagship (2800 RPM vs 1725 RPM).

Also the POS I have now that cracked and is leaking everywhere is an entry-level Insinkerator that only costs $20 less than this Waste King unit. For $20 more I get 50% more power, lifetime warranty (instead of 2 years), sound insulation (vs none), all stainless steel parts (vs galvanized), etc. It just seemed better in every way. On amazon.com it also has over 4,000 reviews and 4.6/5 stars.

I didn't have the usual amount of time to do research, but after a couple days of research I couldn't find anything better at any price, and this one happened to be about what I wanted to spend. It's also made in the USA and includes a power cord kit.

You can also buy it with an Insinkerator compatible sink-mount to make the install even easier, if you're replacing an old unit.

Gotcha! I looked at the comparitive table on the waste king website and even the 3200 series is better than most of the higher end insinkerator line. Looks like the wife is getting a new garborator for chirstmas! Boo ya

Mitsu3000gt
12-01-2015, 04:25 PM

Gotcha! I looked at the comparitive table on the waste king website and even the 3200 series is better than most of the higher end insinkerator line. Looks like the wife is getting a new garborator for chirstmas! Boo ya

Yeah I am no expert on these things haha, but it seems to be an awesome unit for the money and universally well reviewed, as well as Consumer Reports #1 pick. I'm also in a condo building with questionable plumbing so I wanted something powerful. Lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.

suntan
12-01-2015, 05:13 PM

Gotcha! I looked at the comparitive table on the waste king website and even the 3200 series is better than most of the higher end insinkerator line. Looks like the wife is getting a new garborator for chirstmas! Boo ya If she starts putting sausages down the thing you may be in trouble though.

Strider
12-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Wow that's a great price for the Waste King.
It's too bad costco.ca doesn't carry them anymore, mine was $115 when I bought it. Costco.com still has them for $140

Great choice though, I've had mine for 6 years and it still works like the day I installed it (and takes anything I throw at it).

Mitsu3000gt
12-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Got everything installed, removed the Insinkerator 3-bolt mount and used the Waste King "EZ Mount" and the garborator was installed in under 10 mins. I decided to re-plumb it all with fresh piping too, and that took way longer haha. I also added an inlet for my dishwasher waste water on a vertical portion just above my P-trap and it works perfectly. Super happy with everything, it is WAY quieter and WAY more powerful than my old Insinkerator POS. The lifetime warranty is also in-home service which seemed nice.