PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Calgary to Houston

ibuddler
12-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm going to drive from YYC to IAH this December and going to stay in Houston until April. I think it might save money by driving my own car there instead of "fly and rent".

My car was originally imported from the states. I would like to know will it cause problems if I drive in Houston for 4 months using my Canadian car insurance? Do I also need to get a TX license plate when I'm there?

Also can I sell my car in Houston?

Thanks.

EK 2.0
12-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Well, right off the bat if your AB registration is lapsed then your car is illegal to be on roads in Alberta, and subsequently Canada....

ibuddler
12-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Well, right off the bat if your AB registration is lapsed then your car is illegal to be on roads in Alberta, and subsequently Canada....

I'm going to renew my registration. But do I need to get a new license in Houston or my Alberta registration shall work? Will my Canadian insurance cover me in the US?

rage2
12-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Check with your insurance company as it varies. Mine allows me to be in the US for no more than 6 months a year.

As for drivers license, probably not, but check with Texas to see what their requirements are for needing a drivers license. Google it.

You can't sell your car there (easily). You or the new owner needs to export/import it before it can be issued a title.

OTown
12-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Your vehicle has to be registered in a jurisdiction if you want to drive on any North American roads. Same thing with driver's license, though if you take up permanent or semi-permanent residence in a province you are expected to change your registration and driver's license. Most provinces/states have mandated time limits... For alberta out of province its 90 days from moving but students are exempt.

90_Shelby
12-05-2015, 11:00 AM
If you are pulled over in Texas, they will issue a ticket for, "invalid Texas drivers license", if you are from anywhere out of state. With that being said, it's not illegal to drive in Texas without a Texas drivers license but it's the officers discretion if he wants to issue the ticket, and up to you to go to court and fight it.

Ask, me how I know this..... Pulled over for doing 8mph over the speed limit and ended up with $800+ in tickets.

Don't Mess with Texas.

pheoxs
12-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
If you are pulled over in Texas, they will issue a ticket for, "invalid Texas drivers license", if you are from anywhere out of state. With that being said, it's not illegal to drive in Texas without a Texas drivers license but it's the officers discretion if he wants to issue the ticket, and up to you to go to court and fight it.

Ask, me how I know this..... Pulled over for doing 8mph over the speed limit and ended up with $800+ in tickets.

Don't Mess with Texas.

This is not true at all. You do not need a Texas drivers license just to drive in Texas. All states recognize Canadian licenses for visitors driving in the state.

You do need one if you are considered a resident of Texas and have been residing there more than 90 days. If the OP is visiting family or on vacation he would be fine as he is not a permanent resident there (bring some proof you still live in Canada).

As for selling the vehicle down there, no it's not easy. You'd need to export/import the car at the border, do a bunch of paperwork, inspections, and register it in Texas before you could sell it. One of the questions you get asked when crossing the border is if this car will remain in the United States.

90_Shelby
12-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
With that being said, it's not illegal to drive in Texas without a Texas drivers license but it's the officers discretion if he wants to issue the ticket, and up to you to go to court and fight it.

Originally posted by pheoxs

This is not true at all. You do not need a Texas drivers license just to drive in Texas. All states recognize Canadian licenses for visitors driving in the state.

What isn't true? My experience being pulled over in Houston and receiving a ticket for invalid Texas drivers license along with a ticket for going 8mph over the speed limit?

We both agreed that it is not illegal to drive in Texas without a valid Texas drivers license.

ibuddler
12-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks all for the inputs. :)

So basically, if I drive my car there, I need to drive it back. Is it correct? Can I leave me car there (park somewhere) and fly back. Then next time when I fly to Houston again, still drive it?

Also I will stay more than 90 days. But I don't have a US visa or SSN, how can I apply for a Texas driver license? Can I just drive to Mexico and drive back again for another 90 days?

Thanks and hope you don't think I'm crazy here lol.

SkiBum5.0
12-07-2015, 05:22 PM
That's a lot of questions at once. You are essentially going there for a 4 month vacation. If you are going there to work, and you don't have a Visa, that's a different problem.

So, as long as your insurance company is okay with the car being with you on your "vacation," then you don't need to change a thing. If you get pulled over, just say you are on vacation (don't offer that you have been in TX for more than 90 days).

Not sure on the leaving the car there bit. I wouldn't unless it is secure as your insurance will have a problem with it being down there and you being up here.

snowcat
12-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Just ensure you track your in and out dates if you're planning to come close to the 183 day limit. I had a 20 minute chat with the customs officer about my travel plans. An excel would have helped.