PDA

View Full Version : Another new truck thread

carson blocks
12-04-2015, 01:59 PM
You wouldn't know we're in a recession with all these 'new truck' threads. For me, it was finally time to replace my out-of-warranty but beloved '14 Ram 2500 Laramie with the Cummins and 6 speed (picture) (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/robbinst82/Truck/20151201_1755351_zpsoq1mh2rp.jpg). Seeing as we're in a recession and I'm a disposable oilfield contractor, I thought it only prudent to downgrade to a 1500 gasser to save about $16k on the purchase and a fair amount on operating costs.

So, here's my new 'recession special' old man / cowboy truck, a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn gasser. I just couldn't bring myself to go Limited with that new grille and tailgate. I'm no 'InRich' style baller, so she's not 'fully loaded'. My cheap ass didn't check the sunroof box, much to the delight of my 6ft tall girlfriend, and I opted out of the CD player that takes up half the console because it's 2015. I did opt for the 3.92 gears because as I like to say, 'fuel mileage is for pussies', and 'who has time for a slow pickup?'.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/robbinst82/Truck/20151201_1755401_zpsc1ivrhg6.jpg

It looks black, but is apparently 'Black Forest Green'. I'm waiting for the opportunity to see it in bright sun. I don't like black trucks and always wanted a green one, so I was conflicted but gave it a chance anyways and ordered it without ever seeing the colour in person. You can kind of see the green in the lights here, but I have a feeling it's gonna be a bitch to keep clean.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/robbinst82/Truck/20151201_1755471_zpsju54db1i.jpg

I always hated brown/tan interiors and preferred the BMW style 'sea of black' look, but kinda liked the two tone look in my GFs Ram ST and like the thicker saddle leather in the Longhorn and Limited so I thought what the hell and went full cowboy. I did have them leave off the standard curly swirly decorative stitching on the seat bolsters to avoid vomiting in my mouth whenever I opened the door.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/robbinst82/Truck/20151203_1615201_zpsjilajezh.jpg

That dial shifter that everyone bitches about is the best thing since sliced bread. It's a pussy automatic, so I need to touch that control once when I leave and once again when I park. Not taking up 1/2 my console space with a chunky gaudy useless shifter I hardly touch is A-OK with me. The dual smartphone holder in the bin with the new sliding wood cover is a much better use of console real estate.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/robbinst82/Truck/20151203_1615251_zpsoier1lyj.jpg

For the Longhorns, Dodge stepped up and put in leather that doesn't feel like pleather, at least on the seat bolsters and console. The centers are still the cheap perforated crap so the ass coolers can work. The floormats (not pictured unfortunately) are works of art, so much so that I took them out and stored them for summer, putting a set of weathertechs in before I even sat in the thing.

Overall, I don't mind it. It's probably still slower than my buddies 2015 F150 3.5 EcoBoom, but at least it doesn't sound like ass and need fake engine sound pumped over the stereo (seriously uncool, Ford, seriously.). The 'auto' 4x4 is a nice feature, I can't wait until they can make that work in the HD trucks. You can't get adaptive cruise either, which is disappointing (are you listening, Chrysler?). Ramboxes are amazing (last truck had them too), and I have no idea how people live without them (are you listening, GM?).

I miss my diesel, manual trans, and engine brake terribly, and almost have to learn to drive again as I rarely touched the brake pedal in the old truck. Maybe in 2 years when this one is miled out, if things get a little better in O&G, I can ditch the 'recession special' and go back to a 2500 Cummins. In the meantime, this little gasser is growing on me.

roopi
12-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Pictures of 6ft tall gf?

ExtraSlow
12-04-2015, 02:19 PM
There is a lot to like about the Rams these days. I like the dial shifter, and the longhorn interior is sharp. Nice truck, congrats!

carson blocks
12-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Pictures of 6ft tall gf?

I'd be disappointed if that wasn't the very first reply! :bigpimp: Don't ever change, Beyond.

Darkane
12-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Nice truck. 50k+ reccession fighter. Lol

carson blocks
12-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Nice truck. 50k+ reccession fighter. Lol

Under 50k (but not by much), I've got a good hookup at a dealership..

The old diesel was worth on trade about what the new truck cost, and it turned out cheaper than buying an extended warranty on the old one, hence 'recession special' lol.

dirtsniffer
12-04-2015, 03:09 PM
big fan of the color!

Rocket1k78
12-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Thats a cool color!!!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Why does your GM have a Dodge badge on it?

Jokes aside nice truck.

killramos
12-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I like the dial shifter!

sarcasm?

Redlined_8000
12-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Just curious how is your old 2014 2500 out of warranty? Just miled it out already?

Congrats on the new 1500. Looks unique.

Darkane
12-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Under 50k (but not by much), I've got a good hookup at a dealership..

The old diesel was worth on trade about what the new truck cost, and it turned out cheaper than buying an extended warranty on the old one, hence 'recession special' lol.

Really? Unreal deal then, more people should jump on this.

I also include taxes, frieght/pdi, AC fee, and document fees ($599 most dealers)

A base longhorn with all applicable rebates is 49k starting right now.

carson blocks
12-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Really? Unreal deal then, more people should jump on this.

I also include taxes, frieght/pdi, AC fee, and document fees ($599 most dealers)

A base longhorn with all applicable rebates is 49k starting right now.

+GST, no doc fees. Anyone with a legit business, I can get hooked up with good pricing on FCA products, especially these RAMs. I think MSRP as configured is 67k, but no one pays MSRP lol.

ExtraSlow
12-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by killramos

sarcasm? 100% serious. My preference for a truck is still column shift, but the dial shift is a very workable solution, that doesn't waste space like the console shift that seems so popular.

Sentry
12-04-2015, 05:50 PM

I'd be disappointed if that wasn't the very first reply! :bigpimp: Don't ever change, Beyond.
You're acting as if he was joking.

Let's see some pictures mother fucker. :D

corsvette
12-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Nice truck!

It unbelievable how much USED diesels are worth right now, this low CDN dollar has turned the truck market right wacky. The market here stinks, but the US is firing on all cylinders.

You could have bought a diesel truck 2 years ago and make money selling it down south today.

InRich
12-04-2015, 11:13 PM
I'm no 'InRich' style baller, so she's not 'fully loaded'.

everyone wants to be rich
:thumbsup:
Nice truck, gratz!

Rocket1k78
12-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
100% serious. My preference for a truck is still column shift, but the dial shift is a very workable solution, that doesn't waste space like the console shift that seems so popular.

Totally agree.

Masked Bandit
12-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Pictures of 6ft tall gf?

As soon as I read the comment on the GF, I knew this was coming up quickly.

Originally posted by Sentry

You're acting as if he was joking.

Let's see some pictures mother fucker. :D

Well?

I love the colour combination brother. I think you're right that it'll be a bitch to keep clean but she'll be sharp when it is.

:thumbsup: