PDA

View Full Version : would you buy a 07-08 bmw 335

theken
12-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Ive been looking for a cheapish used car lately, and im kind of stuck on the 335's, I have been seeing them around the 15k mark which is about what i want to spend, most of them have around 100k on the odo, i know of the hpfp problems, but they are covered now, just wondering if its worth buying an out of warranty 335, or just lease a newer car.

zipdoa
12-07-2015, 01:54 PM
I would buy one

edit:

I have an affinity for unreliable twin turbo 6 cylinder vehicles.

benyl
12-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Coupe or sedan?

The 335 coupe had a few minor updates in 2008 over 2007.

One I can think of off the top of my head is that it got LED license plate lights. 2007 were halogen. Not a big deal, but there were some changes.

R154
12-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Stay away. Far, FAR away.

That car is not something that you want to be messing with if the providence isnt stellar.

A bmw that has been half assed maintained is the most scary vehicle you can buy.

With that said, if you are partial to one and the prospect of spending several grand into one over a couple year ownership, then, make sure the one you get has meticulous service records, and is owned by someone who has at least 1 other vehicle with a higher value.

Can't judge a book by its cover, except for old affluent family people.

+1 if the owner is the wife of a wealthy person, or is herself individually wealthy. They ALWAYS maintain their vehicles.

Mileage is not as important as maintenance records for a high(er) end car is the TL;DR.

KRyn
12-07-2015, 02:00 PM
My N54 powered BMW only has 70,000 kms on it and the waste gates already rattle intermittently. An aftermarket tune has helped alleviate this issue. However, it is only a matter of time before it returns.
Other things to look out for / be concerned about are the turbos leaking oil, the oil filter housing gasket and the water pump failing.

Also make sure the subframe recall has been taken care of. This issue has been known to cause catastrophic failure.

The N54 is a great engine and has the ability to make a ton of power easily / cheaply. But it is plagued by a number of issues and unfortunately most of them are not cheaply or easily fixed.

theken
12-07-2015, 02:02 PM
how many k is too many on that chassis?

InRich
Originally posted by zipdoa
I would buy one

We should start another GoFundMe for Zipdoa's 335 BMW!!!
You still haven't come by to empty my garbage, I mean bottle bin... Its full bro!

to OP: NO!!!

killramos
if you really want an N54 based 335 i recommend you do a ton of research on them and their specific failures. HPFP is just the tip of the iceberg and they are known to be timebombs.

That being said with the right kind of owner all kind be well. You need to have some tolerance to engine hiccups, potentially expensive ones. Or be the kind of person to do preventative maintenance on them either yourself or pay someone to do it. Only you can know if you are that kind of owner.

If you can find an N55 based one they are far more reliable and cost less to own...

TBH if you are looking for one for 15k i feel like you are in for a rude surprise.

KRyn
12-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by theken
how many k is too many on that chassis?

All depends, it honestly appears to be luck.

Also, another big issue with these cars is injectors. Make sure any car you look at has the most recent injectors (revision 12 is current I believe). Failing injectors in these engines leads to spun bearings.

CLiVE
12-07-2015, 02:05 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe the early models ('07) were not equipped with the factory oil cooler. Would be nice to have if you plan on any upgrades / tracking the car, etc.

...and my 2 cents. I bought a used BMW once, and after $4k in maintenance I had enough. Then bought my first honda.

carson blocks
12-07-2015, 02:12 PM
High performance, german, out of warranty. Old enough to cause problems, but not old enough to be cheap. Personally, that's a big 'nope' from me, unless I loved that specific car/generation for some reason, in which case I'd spend some extra for the best maintained example I could find.

G-ZUS
12-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Ahh the joys of owning a BMW:D

sputnik
12-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Nope. Never. Unless you have deep pockets for repairs.

I would buy an 06 3.0L I6 330 instead.

sputnik
12-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by killramos
If you can find an N55 based one they are far more reliable and cost less to own...

Except for the fact that the purchase price for a 2011+ will be about $20-25k more.

max_boost
12-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Nope. Never. Unless you have deep pockets for repairs.

I would buy an 06 3.0L I6 330 instead. Holy shit I actually agree with you. :rofl: :thumbsup:

max_boost
12-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Ive been looking for a cheapish used car lately, and im kind of stuck on the 335's, I have been seeing them around the 15k mark which is about what i want to spend, most of them have around 100k on the odo, i know of the hpfp problems, but they are covered now, just wondering if its worth buying an out of warranty 335, or just lease a newer car.

I would lease a newer car. So many wicked options out there.

Neil4Speed
12-07-2015, 02:38 PM
I was highly considering one of these, its really a great great driver and worth all the hype behind the motor and the vehicle, but in the end I leased a newer vehicle and do think it was the right decision although I do think I would have enjoyed the BMW more.

M.alex
12-07-2015, 04:38 PM
My 04 cobra has 150k kms, made 650hp for the last 8 years, is daily driven, even when it's -40*C outside, and aside from brakes/oil changes/mods the only maintenance I've spent on it was $200 to replace a leaking pinion seal.

But hey, why buy reliable cars that can make a crap-load of power ... let's buy an entry level BMW that has a few niggly issues, like the engine randomly blowing up. :rofl:

G-ZUS
12-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
My 04 cobra has 150k kms, made 650hp for the last 8 years, is daily driven, even when it's -40*C outside, and aside from brakes/oil changes/mods the only maintenance I've spent on it was $200 to replace a leaking pinion seal.

But hey, why buy reliable cars that can make a crap-load of power ... let's buy an entry level BMW that has a few niggly issues, like the engine randomly blowing up. :rofl:

wow

03ozwhip
12-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I would lease a newer car. So many wicked options out there.

Why do you keep pushing everyone to lease a car? leave everyone alone lol! to OP, I was in the same position but decided to go with an '11 with the N55 and I havent had any engine issues, but yes I have put 3k into it on preventative maintenance (100k type stuff) and a wheel bearing issue.

Take that how you will, but again like mentioned, it's above your price range.

M.alex
12-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

Why do you keep pushing everyone to lease a car? leave everyone alone lol!

I know, people who push their own agendas are selfish-dickholes!

At the very least he should be recommending OPie get into an 03/04 cobra or later-model GT500.

theken
12-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

But hey, why buy reliable cars that can make a crap-load of power ... let's buy an entry level BMW that has a few niggly issues, like the engine randomly blowing up. :rofl: I'm not interested in a 650hp rear wheel drive 2 seater for me and my family, I am interested in a comfortable replacement for my 500 hp Mercedes that doesn't cost 50k. If I Made a looking for most horsepower and lack of driveability post that would be a welcome suggestion. And a 320 is an entry level 3 series, 335 is pretty much next in line to the m3.

And as for ford reliability...I did own a raptor, and needless to say I don't think I would ever buy another ford, ever. Have never had problems like that in a truck, like replacing control arms twice in a month, electrical all failing, replacing most if not all suspension components over a year, and a list of other problems, you may have lucked out with your cobra, but i have a sour taste in my mouth still from my ford

max_boost
12-07-2015, 06:46 PM
lol not pushing theken towards leasing, he asked!

redline
12-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Take your time and find a good one, then it would be fine

theken
12-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Lease options are out there, I would actually probably just end up in a vw, and call it a day, I like the passats, and I like the Jetta. I can write of leases so that's the only reason I would lease again.

BMDUBS
12-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Ive owned my 335i since February and it has pissed me off. bought the car with 68,000km on it and now has 72,000k. 1 owner dealer serviced and low km's.

I had to do the water pump and T sat last month to the tune of $700 which was cost for the parts and I did the wrenching myself and another member here on Beyond helped me out quite a bit with some other issues I had after I put a JB4 on it. I was quoted $1400 to have it done at a shop and was told they see these pump failing all the time with the colder weather.

Overall it is a great car for the money but as others have said, better be ready to pay some big bills when things fail prematurely. I have $1000 into mine in maintenance since feb and 4000km's and wtf is up with the water pump failing at 72,000km!?

But I have to say it is quite fast now with intake, down pipes and JB4...

theken
12-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I don't really want high maintenance again. Are the 2.0 audis as bad as I assume they are?

KRyn
12-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS

But I have to say it is quite fast now with intake, down pipes and JB4...

Let me know when your turbos start smoking.
:rofl:

I don't want to do down pipes on my car. I figure I will keep the engine relatively stock and hopefully I don't have any troubles while I own it. If the turbos do shit the bed at least there are tons of relatively affordable options right now.

03ozwhip
12-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Let me know when your turbos start smoking.

I don't want to do down pipes on my car. I figure I will keep the engine relatively stock and hopefully I don't have any troubles while I own it. If the turbos do shit the bed at least there are tons of relatively affordable options right now.

Do you still have the 135?

Canucks3322
12-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Do the parts keep failing after replacing or is it okay to buy one that already has had things replaced? (not that I'm looking to buy one anytime soon but have always liked the 135i)...

KRyn
12-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

Do you still have the 135?

Yes sir.
Hopefully after I install a few more parts this spring I am done modifying the car for good (unless something needs replacing or I find a really good deal on an intercooler). With everything I have done to the car it should finally drive like a proper tail happy RWD coupe. If the economy picks up next year I might look to move to another platform. I know if I keep this car much longer it is going to end up with a new set of turbos. :banghead:

Originally posted by Canucks3322
Do the parts keep failing after replacing or is it okay to buy one that already has had things replaced? (not that I'm looking to buy one anytime soon but have always liked the 135i)...

After something is replaced it generally lasts unless it is spark plugs or coils. Let me know when you get in the market for a 135 I may have one for sale.

Nels
12-08-2015, 01:44 PM
My 2010 X6 (with the same N54 engine) had the waterpump fail on it at just 65,000 km and the whole job (replacing the thermostat also) ended up costing around $1,300. With the battery going and a crumpled engine cover, the total repair bill was $3,200. If I wanted to fix the very minor leaks in the engine, it would've cost around $7,500.

Just waiting for the infamous high pressure fuel pump to go now. :thumbsdow

M.alex
12-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Ya'll need to take a lesson from Cos. He's doing it right :burnout:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=4522628#post4522628

ruffryder
12-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Despite everything I read online and asking opinions of numerous friends and family, I ended up purchasing an 07 335i Coupe 3 years ago. I was 23 at the time and scared shitless of what I was about to endure owning my first used BMW with 100k approaching around the corner.

3 years later i have zero regrets!

Some tips based on my experience
- buy from an original owner if possible or at least one with full service history (if purchased new locally you can request a repair history at the dealer while it was under warranty)
- make sure hpfp recall has been addressed with the latest Bosch version
- e92 with a build date of March 07 onward (i think) had the oil cooler equipped, mine doesn't have one and its never been an issue, not to say it wouldn't be nice to have.
- learn to change the oil yourself as it will save you a ton of money.
BMW recommends oil change intervals every 15k - 20k, i do mine every 5k - 6k using Mobile 1 0W-40 runs cooler and smoother IMO

At the time, I paid slightly over market value simply because I knew how it spent its entire life up until that point. For me, that extra piece of mind was worth the asking price.

Good luck with your search

:bigpimp:

BMDUBS
12-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ruffryder

- learn to change the oil yourself as it will save you a ton of money.
BMW recommends oil change intervals every 15k - 20k, i do mine every 5k - 6k using Mobile 1 0W-40 runs cooler and smoother IMO

I agree with everything you said but an oil change can be had at Motorwerkes for around $90. By the time you buy Mobil 1 and a filter from the dealer your are $60+ and still have to do the work yourself and dispose of the oil. Not into that anymore from a time and saving aspect.

How many km's in the 3 years you have owned?

As for smoking turbo's, a guy in my building with a 535i just replaced his close to 200,000km's and he is tuned with COBB. Although he did say they started smoking after he installed downpipes... On the plus side you could upgrade to RB's if they go :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejVi4acNR3U :bigpimp: