PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket..but court date written wrong

Seks
12-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Caught by a ghost car shooting laser. Got handed a ticket.

Upon reading it, court date has "2015" written on it instead of "2016"

Am I free?

FraserB
12-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Still have to go down to have it tossed I believe. They'll either withdraw it or reissue it.

Thaco
12-09-2015, 10:17 AM
you can call them, there's a number on the ticket, i had an error on the ticket and had to call the day before the date, was told the officer never submitted the ticket (probably realised the error) so i was off the hook.

Seks
12-09-2015, 10:22 AM
I didn't think a ticket can be reissued due to an error?

I always show up to see the JOP way before court date to get the ticket type/amount/demerits reduced. So should I do that?

Gman.45
12-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Back when I had a Jeep TJ, the window was getting hit on Deerfoot every couple of weeks - I'd just had it replaced 2 days before getting a big rock dead center, and got pulled over and given a ticket - the officer made the same mistake, wrote the wrong year date near the end of the year, same time as now or so. Not sure if he did it on purpose having seen the receipt of me just having the window replaced, and the 3 other receipts from past windows that year, but when I went downtown, the clerk at the window immediately tossed it after checking in the back, not sure if it was for the original or what.

Are they able to reissue a ticket? I'd be interested to know how that works.

Seks
12-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Gman.45
but when I went downtown, the clerk at the window immediately tossed it after checking in the back, not sure if it was for the original or what.

So you went before the court date?

Rat Fink
12-09-2015, 12:02 PM

BigDL
12-09-2015, 12:33 PM
I had that happen to me once when I got a speeding ticket. They just tossed it, I called in and asked about the date and they told me not to worry about it.

gwill
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
A family member had wrong information posted on a speeding ticket and they ended up reissuing it. She was doing 150 and went to fight it. She thought it was an easy win until the officer showed back up at her house with a new ticket and all the correct info.

revelations
12-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Seks
I didn't think a ticket can be reissued due to an error?

I always show up to see the JOP way before court date to get the ticket type/amount/demerits reduced. So should I do that?

Originally posted by gwill
A family member had wrong information posted on a speeding ticket and they ended up reissuing it. She was doing 150 and went to fight it. She thought it was an easy win until the officer showed back up at her house with a new ticket and all the correct info.

Definitely can, for summary (traffic) offenses the issuing LEO has 6 months from the date of the infraction to re-issue.

It doesn't happen too often though - mostly traffic cops are the ones who care about correcting traffic ticket mistakes as they get shit on from the other members. :rofl:

Seks
01-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Didn't have time the past few days to call the courthouse during business hours.

Going to visit the JOP tomorrow Mon. I guess I should just show them my ticket and indicate the wrong date. I just hope it will get thrown out.

:(

Seks
01-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Went to the JOP counter at the courthouse. Pointed out to the lady that I noticed the year in the court date field is written wrong. She wrote down a phone # on the ticket and said to call back on the 20th (court date) to see if the ticket is still valid. wtf?

Went back to my car, called the phone #. Lady on the phone tried to find a copy of my ticket but said there's no record of it. She said to not worry about it (paying, court date) as it's thrown out.

:)

She did mention that a ticket can still be reissued within 6 months of the original violation date. The specific cop that caught me can show up at my address that's written on the ticket and give me a new one with the correct info.

On a side note, I was caught doing a U-turn at a red light over xmas holidays. It would have been a $500+ ticket but cop told me to spend the money on a nice dinner or donate to charity. Ended up donating some money to the mustard seed

:)

Now to get a powerball ticket! :nut:

Thaco
01-12-2016, 08:57 AM
thats what i said...

this is what happened to me, however i still suggest you call that number again the day before the date, the officer has until the day before to submit the ticket to them, so you may not be entirely off the hook yet.

Thaco
01-12-2016, 09:02 AM
thats whay i said...

this is what happened to me, however i still suggest you call that number again before the date, the officer has until the day before to submit the ticket to them, so you may not be entirely off the hook yet.