PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrian Intersection?...

Thaco
12-09-2015, 03:23 PM
So i guess this is an extension to the whole debate about when its legal to go through a crosswalk with a pedestrian near... it was determined there that theres no law stating you have to wait for the ped to hit the curb, as long as your lane is clear you can proceed...

Just a day after reading that thread, this was installed on 18th st between quarry park and riverbend... a ped intersection with lights, ped hits the button, light turns red, ped clears the intersection and like 20 seconds later the light changes back, huge waste of time and resources IMO... why not just crosswalk lights?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57875389/junk/2015-12-09%2012.11.09.jpg

Mibz
12-09-2015, 03:45 PM
They have this near Somerset station and it makes sense because there's such a huge volume of foot traffic that, if pedestrians could cross whenever they wanted then cars would never get a chance to go. I don't know that particular intersection, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near the same volume as the last stop of a train station next to a high school, haha.

Anyway, there are two potential reasons for that:
1. There have been numerous collisions and it was determined that additional safety measures needed to be taken
2. Somebody yelled really loud

killramos
12-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Isn't there one of these on memorial drive by the peace bridge?

rage2
12-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Yup. Center street at the top of the bridge has one too.

killramos
12-09-2015, 03:55 PM
^ Lol i drive through that one every day and it didn't come to mind.

Tbh these are way way way better for drivers than a pedestrian crossing. Prevents a continuous stream of peds from blocking an intersection for an extended period of time. If too short of time has passed since the last crossing it will make the pedestrians wait.

They also integrate yellow lights. Meaning no issues with its dark, ped taps the crossing light, and jumps straight onto the street not giving cars time to slow down to a safe stop.

Heck i don't know why they don't use them for all crosswalks... I doubt they cost much more.

:dunno:

firebane
12-09-2015, 04:01 PM
There is one of these on Bow Trail as well just before you hit Sarcee Trail heading West.

99.9% of the time its never used.

haggis88
12-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Heck i don't know why they don't use them for all crosswalks... I doubt they cost much more.

This

Hate having to turn left without an advance filter and there's a ped crossing...fucking dumb if you ask me...

traffic should go, then all four ways should have a crossing light whilst all traffic has reds, that's the way it is in the UK

BavarianBeast
12-09-2015, 04:29 PM
People are so fucking stupid they can't even cross the street anymore without their own light. Go figure.

killramos
12-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
People are so fucking stupid they can't even cross the street anymore without their own light. Go figure.

Were they ever capable?

rage2
12-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by haggis88
This

Hate having to turn left without an advance filter and there's a ped crossing...fucking dumb if you ask me...

traffic should go, then all four ways should have a crossing light whilst all traffic has reds, that's the way it is in the UK
They have this in Eau Claire, and it's fucking stupid. Peds cross anyways on red so it solves absolutely nothing. Even street view caught this asshole crossing when he wasn't supposed to:

https://goo.gl/maps/n3qjah9dJ7w

jwslam
12-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2

They have this in Eau Claire, and it's fucking stupid. Peds cross anyways on red so it solves absolutely nothing. Even street view caught this asshole crossing when he wasn't supposed to:

https://goo.gl/maps/n3qjah9dJ7w
And then the cars that turn right on red when there's signs everywhere not to.

Were they ever capable?
Not white people in Canada anyways :rofl: :rofl:

Thaco
12-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
They have this near Somerset station and it makes sense because there's such a huge volume of foot traffic that, if pedestrians could cross whenever they wanted then cars would never get a chance to go. I don't know that particular intersection, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near the same volume as the last stop of a train station next to a high school, haha.

Anyway, there are two potential reasons for that:
1. There have been numerous collisions and it was determined that additional safety measures needed to be taken
2. Somebody yelled really loud

for high volume traffic it almost makes sense, but as stated below, peds ignoring the signal is rarely/never enforced so they'll do what they want...

this is not a high traffic area, until a few weeks ago they even had a 6ft chain link fence on the median to inhibit crossing here... it is on a pathway, but i wouldn't call it high traffic by any means.

I just thought it was pretty odd, i'm sure it'd have its uses, but i don't think this place is one of them.

killramos
12-10-2015, 07:44 AM
^ The great thing about those kinds of intersections is if noone uses them then there is absolutely no impact to drivers so :dunno:

Thaco
12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
^ The great thing about those kinds of intersections is if noone uses them then there is absolutely no impact to drivers so :dunno: it does have some traffic, but not a lot, so when a guy pushes the button and crosses in 20 seconds, and the light stays red for a minute, guy is long gone before the light changes back... its a little annoying.

jwslam
12-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
it does have some traffic, but not a lot, so when a guy pushes the button and crosses in 20 seconds, and the light stays red for a minute, guy is long gone before the light changes back... its a little annoying.
So is every other traffic light where you sit there alone at a red for a solid minute, and when it's your turn there's finally a car coming and now has to sit red waiting for you...

Thaco
12-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

So is every other traffic light where you sit there alone at a red for a solid minute, and when it's your turn there's finally a car coming and now has to sit red waiting for you... i don't disagree.

Calgaryscot
12-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by haggis88

This

I agree, pedestrians or vehicles, not both at the same time, blew me away when I moved here and saw pedestrians and vehicles getting green at the same time, and they wonder why so many pedestrians get hit by vehicles.....DUH!

Kijho
12-10-2015, 08:58 PM
I work in Quarry Park and drive past this multiple times a day.
It's absolutely the dumbest shit I've seen our city do. There's a fucking intersection with crosswalk about 20 meters before it.. Fuck.

taemo
12-10-2015, 09:41 PM
how many people were hit along center street between 16th ave and 32nd ave this year?
even after crossing center st with flashing lights too probably?

i've seen many idiots not stopping on a flashing crossing