PDA

View Full Version : Car accident settlement outside of insurance

stealth
12-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Has anyone settle outside of insurance for a minor fender bender?

Looking for advice or a template for a liability release form.

Thaco
12-10-2015, 07:58 PM
i think a pretty simple "with reguards to the collision x date at x time involving x people and x vehicles the sum of x was transferred form x to x and this waives x of all future liabilies, both property or injury related" would suffice

ExtraSlow
12-10-2015, 10:45 PM
If it's anything more than a fender bender, I would be extremely careful with this. Medical problems etc. I'm no lawyer, but I would prefer to let my insurance take care of larger liabilities.

Offroad
12-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Don't do it.........I did......signed a waiver ....was hit hard from behind btw........about 2 months later just turning over in bed I literally was paralyzed in pain,,,,I know this was from the accident.....no back problems or issues before the accident....I'll never settle out of insurance again.....I suffered for 6 months at least .

Darell_n
12-10-2015, 11:46 PM
I settled for a cheque for a fender bender after a lunch truck backed into my parked truck on the street. Took a month of threatening the company owner to go through insurance before he gave me the address to his mansion to pick up the cheque. Didn't fill out any paperwork at all. Cheap prick.

stealth
12-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Just to clarify, this was a parking lot fender bender. The car I hit was empty, just nicked the front corner of the bumper.

Car is worth $500, and I am giving the girl $400...

shakalaka
12-11-2015, 10:05 AM
I did when someone backed into my car in their company truck. Gave him the estimate, he gave me a bank draft. Since there were no injuries and it was extremely minor, I wasn't going to be doing an injury claim anyway. The waiver of liability form just has all the details and make sure it's signed and witnessed by an independent 3rd party.

Rocket1k78
12-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by stealth
Just to clarify, this was a parking lot fender bender. The car I hit was empty, just nicked the front corner of the bumper.

Car is worth $500, and I am giving the girl $400...

In this case I think a simple letter(signed by her) stating you both agree to this should suffice. Id probably put in there the details of the bump and note that the car was empty.

Kloubek
12-11-2015, 11:34 AM
^^ This. As long as she agrees in the document to no further action from said incident, you're pretty much covered.

AndyL
12-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I could be wrong but I think k our friendly neighbourhood insurance bandit ;) has a stock form for this...

Masked Bandit
12-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
I could be wrong but I think k our friendly neighbourhood insurance bandit ;) has a stock form for this...

I do indeed. PM me an email address and I'll send you a copy. It's the proper IBC (Insurance Bureau of Canada) form.

EDIT: Better yet, just click on the link

http://www.ibc.ca/sk/resources/industry-resources/ibc-claims-agreement/ibc-claims-form

and print off the "final release" form.

stealth
12-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks, I used a similar form I found online.