PDA

View Full Version : "On call" - compensation

IggyB
12-11-2015, 07:24 AM
If you're asked to be "On call", are there any labour rules with regards to pay that apply to that?

C_Dave45
12-11-2015, 07:56 AM
https://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standards/doc,wages,factsheet.html#q860
Edit: whoops....Google sent me to Manitoba's standards....lemme find Alberta's

http://work.alberta.ca/documents/minimum-wage.pdf

Requirement to pay an employee if they are “on call” or “on standby” at home If an employee is not required to perform work at home, no payment is required. If an employee is required to work at home, the employee must be paid for the actual time worked at their regular rate of pay. If the employee is required to leave home and report to the worksite, the minimum compensation for short periods of work as previously described is applicable once the employee reports to work.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2015, 09:01 AM
I have spent significant time on call, and have never received financial compensation. Depending on the restrictions and duties during the on call period, some places give time off in lieu. I got a half day per 24h period.

In my case, restrictions were that I couldn't leave the city, had to answer my cell phone 24h a day, and not have more than one drink. It was pretty average to spend a couple of hours on the phone, sometimes at 3am. I felt like I earned that half day off.

sputnik
12-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Where I work operations staff get 1 hour of pay for every 8 hours of being on-call plus OT at 2x time when called

They also get 3 hours minimum if they have to return to work to do anything.

nzwasp
12-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Where I work operations staff get 1 hour of pay for every 8 hours of being on-call plus OT at 2x time when called

They also get 3 hours minimum if they have to return to work to do anything.

When I worked at Telus it was 1 hour for every day worked of oncall during the week and then 1.5 hours on weekends and public holidays. Then it was a 2 hour minimum for a call out and then 1 hour for every hour after that paid at 1.5x rate.

Most places I worked at in the past had pretty much the exact same policy. Alot of places will document this but make that document extremely hard to find or its word of mouth only.

403Gemini
12-11-2015, 09:22 AM
I get like $100 added to my pay cheque for the week I'm on call :rofl:

That said, I get to basically take first crack at any jobs that come in during after hours and decide if I want to keep them or not - which somewhat applies to my bonus (since we're rated on performance / amount invoiced)

lasimmon
12-11-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm on call essentially all the time I have rigs going, don't get any compensation strictly for it.

speedog
12-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by IggyB
If you're asked to be "On call", are there any labour rules with regards to pay that apply to that?
Out of curiosity, did you even Google this?

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm on call every single weekend, if you're salaried, there is no extra compensation.

If you're paid by the hour, and have to come into the office for whatever you do, I believe they need to pay 3 or 4 hours minimum. If you work from home you just bill for what you work.

I used to work at a place that gave me a full day off for every weekend I worked on call (every weekend), and 2 days for every long weekend or stat holiday haha, that was totally not normal. When I switched jobs and they paid out my holiday they said I taught them a valuable lesson :rofl:

carson blocks
12-11-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm an hourly contractor, and we get paid 8hrs for every 7 day on-call rotation. We rarely get a call, but must be reachable at all times, not drink a drop, and be able to respond within an hour so have to lug the company computer everywhere, not go to movies, etc.

IggyB
12-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by speedog

I'd show you the bird but am too lazy.

Does that answer your question? :)

FunWheelDrive
12-11-2015, 12:42 PM
I work for a HD semi truck dealer and when I am on call it's 20 dollars a day to carry the phone (which is a sweet deal because during monday to friday we are open from 7:00am to 11:30pm so you never get called in week nights. If I had to go in for any reason to unlock the door we charge $75.00 even if we don't have the parts in stock.

speedog
12-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by IggyB

I'd show you the bird but am too lazy.

Does that answer your question? :)
No need to be nasty but a fairly easy Google search would've answered your questions with links from actual GOA web sites as opposed to opinions on a forum. Now that's not to say that the beyond opinions posted in this thread were correct or incorrect - all I saw were accurate for the situation the poster identified but your situation may have been unique.

A simple question - does your workplace fall under federal or provincial jurisdiction with respect to labour codes because those two labour codes are not necessarily the same for specific situations.

revelations
12-11-2015, 01:43 PM

Its amazing, we have the global information archives literally with us at our finger tips, everywhere we go, 24/7 and some people choose not to use it - because its too hard to type in and think.

My guess is that Petabytes of data are literally added every second to the global information storage system.

Its not just OP, but some people need a cat5 port to their head.

Crazyjoker77
12-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Holy, Guess I got the golden egg of standby regimes.

My employer pays
1hour for every 4hour block covered. (4hrs per working day, 6hours for weekends and stats, total 32h/week)

3hr minumum charge at 1.75X (unless there is 3 callouts in a 8hour period then its just 8hours) for actual calls.

70$ travel to drive to the office and get the work truck.

I can take it as either pay or comp time(payed out at 1.75x) which Is capped to 80hours at any time.

Usually do 2weeks on and then a month off.

Of course no drinking and they expect you at the office within the hour.

I'm salary but standby/OT is treated as a whole seperate cheque and the travel is also a seperate cheque. Each payment is handled by a different pay office.

JustinMCS
12-11-2015, 02:49 PM
You guys get hosed.

Alberta states minimum three hours pay if you get called from when you're at home as long as you can fulfill three hours.

I get paid $150 a week just to be on call. If I get called out, I get to charge KMs to site and minimum 3 hours pay. Can't drink and can't leave city limits.

It's awesome.

Crazyjoker77
12-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Just to add that essential personal (police,fire) and IT people are exempt from most of the guidelines but most of those jobs will have provisions in their contract/collective agreement IRT how it should be payed out.

I do find it wierd that the travel payments I get are taxable. I figure they would be like subsistence payments that O&G field guys always get.

vengie
12-11-2015, 03:46 PM
My compensation was the bonus I got from completing the job I was called out to perform. No phone call, no compensation.

Spent 3 years on call, would never do it again.

HiTempguy1
12-11-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm on call in the sense that I am the first line of contact for our equipment across western Canada.

2 hours time and a half if I pick up the phone before 9 or after 5. Weekends 2 hours double time. Any work done not during office hours is DT including travel. Sunday flights up north are da bes.

I wouldn't do it for any less, no matter the shift.

Darell_n
12-11-2015, 04:32 PM
I make $100 for the privilege of being on-call for a week. My last pay check I billed out 53 hours of OT and DOT, very merry Christmas to me. Even still I would give up being on call in a heart beat, if I could.

Xtrema
12-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I'm an hourly contractor, and we get paid 8hrs for every 7 day on-call rotation. We rarely get a call, but must be reachable at all times, not drink a drop, and be able to respond within an hour so have to lug the company computer everywhere, not go to movies, etc.

This is the most usual set up I see. Some are more, a lot, especially employee without an union rep, get way, way less. Especially IT.

IggyB
12-11-2015, 09:36 PM

No need to be nasty but a fairly easy Google search would've answered your questions with links from actual GOA web sites as opposed to opinions on a forum. Now that's not to say that the beyond opinions posted in this thread were correct or incorrect - all I saw were accurate for the situation the poster identified but your situation may have been unique.

A simple question - does your workplace fall under federal or provincial jurisdiction with respect to labour codes because those two labour codes are not necessarily the same for specific situations.

Wasn't trying to be nasty. Law is one thing but different companies have varying arrangements when it comes to this. That was the other aspect of it that I wanted to see.

spikerS
12-11-2015, 09:44 PM
I kinda missed being on call.

I would be on call for a week at a time. while I was on call, I didn't have to go into the office, but I got paid for the week at my normal rate.

Didn't have to work that week unless I got a call.

HomespunLobster
12-11-2015, 11:06 PM
I'm on call, been on call all year (minus the 2 weeks vaca I had) since I'm the only field hand in Calgary. Paid salary, and thena day bonus when I get called in after X amount of days worked. Not a bad set up.

botox
12-12-2015, 01:02 AM
Current company on salary, no extra pay for on-call, that's what our bonuses are for but we don't have many overtime hours so not a big deal. However if I do put in some extra hours my managers are fine with me taking half a day off in lieu here and there. Old company I can't really remember but we got something like 50 cents per hour to hold the oncall pager and if we actually had to work it was billed our regular hourly rate.