PDA

View Full Version : Are you a blood donor?

jwslam
12-12-2015, 01:32 PM
See poll. Came up in a conversation recently and just wanna gauge the numbers for our community.

wintonyk
12-12-2015, 01:45 PM
i wanted to, but doctor advised otherwise based on health. Digestive issues makes me borderline anemic. that was a few years ago, so I wouldn't mind checking again.

FraserB
12-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Blood donor and on the stem cell list.

lasimmon
12-12-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm at about 22 donations now. Try and go as often as possible.

flipstah
12-12-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm on the stem cell list as well.

I have to double-check the rules on donating blood if you have tattoos.

speedog
12-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I'm on the stem cell list as well.

I have to double-check the rules on donating blood if you have tattoos.
Having tattoos does not disqualify you from donating blood but there is a period after which you get a tattoo in which you can't donate.

Probably has been 20+ years since I donated whole blood, am pretty slow for 2015 with only 4 large volume platelet donations this year. 144 lifetime, mostly platelets.

sheik_yerbouti
12-13-2015, 12:36 AM
I used to donate blood, but a brief bout of cancer prevents me from donating for the rest of my life. If I could go on the stem cell list I would.

jwslam
12-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Found this gem
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/197709/donating-blood/

:rofl: :rofl:

KPHMPH
12-13-2015, 10:52 AM
I donate as much as I can but have to keep my marital status a secret, judging happens otherwise 😳

kragnorok
12-13-2015, 01:20 PM
I would love to but unfortunately cannot, due to being in a tattoo shop every 3-4 months for the last 4/5 years.

Wish I could, I think it's silly if you are going to reputable shops and I am pretty sure they test the blood before it goes into reserves.

speedog
12-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by kragnorok
I would love to but unfortunately cannot, due to being in a tattoo shop every 3-4 months for the last 4/5 years.

Wish I could, I think it's silly if you are going to reputable shops and I am pretty sure they test the blood before it goes into reserves.
After the number of donations I've done over 3+ decades, I have seen the forms and associated questions evolve over those years and I have always questioned some of those questions.

I partially agree with what you're saying but the bigger picture is that the people receiving these blood products are health compromised in one way or another and even the risk of them having to fight another disease or such is something that just isn't fair to them.

So, higher risk activities/areas will get you knocked off of the list. Hell, I donate platelets and if I take an Ibuprofen or Aspirin some 48 or 72 hours before my donation, then I can't donate because that can act as a blood thinner and people receiving platelets are usually dealing with bleeding disorders. So to some, one simple Aspirin might seem quite harmless but it could mean the difference of life or death to that person who is receiving that platelet donation.

To this end, my wife and I were on a cruise through the Caribbean many, many moons ago which included a day stop in Mexico and we opted to stay on the ship because if we had stepped foot on Mexican ground we would have been unable to donate for at least 6 or 9 months. Seemed silly to me as malaria I believe was the main issue and to me, a mosquito could very easily flew across and bit me on the boat. But because we followed their rules, we were able to continue to regularly donate platelets.

The shittiest thing about this with respect to platelet donations, any woman who has ever been pregnant can not ever donate platelets, forget the reason why but that certainly takes a lot of potential donors off of the platelet list and this is something that has changed just in the past few years.

mazdavirgin
12-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by kragnorok

The tests are not perfect and there are periods in time where you can be infected and infectious but not show up in the screening. It's all very much based on science not wishy washy political correctness feel good bullshit. You can't donate if you have been to the dentist either(72 hours or so)...Whole point of this is prevent you from possibly getting ill and then giving a cancer patient who already has not immune system the flue or whatever you managed to get from having your gums knicked.

In short your right to give blood does not supersede the receivers right to not die from receiving your blood.

D'z Nutz
12-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
You can't donate if you have been to the dentist either(72 hours or so)...

Nope, that's not true at all. I've donated literally the day after going to the dentist multiple times. It depends on what you went there for. You just have to tell them during the consultation and they'll decide if it's okay for you to donate.

zipdoa
12-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Not allowed to donate cause I was born in France. They think I might have mad cow disease.

BananaFob
12-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Not allowed to donate cause I was born in France. They think I might have mad cow disease.

My dad studied in England in the 70's before I was born. Because of that my sisters and I can't give blood either because of potential for mad cow.

zipdoa
12-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

My dad studied in England in the 70's before I was born. Because of that my sisters and I can't give blood either because of potential for mad cow.

Haha wild! I didn't realize it was THAT strict! So basically if you ate food in Europe during a certain time period, you can't donate blood in Canada?

Calgaryscot
12-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Rules for Europe apply if you have lived there for 3 or more months between 1980 and 1996 I believe.

speedog
12-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Haha wild! I didn't realize it was THAT strict! So basically if you ate food in Europe during a certain time period, you can't donate blood in Canada?
No, you would've had to lived there for a certain amount of time. Just visiting and eating food there doesn't permanently disqualify you as a blood donor.

NoPulp
12-14-2015, 08:18 PM
I really wish I would...

I'm perfectly fine with needles. I'm not fine with the thing sticking in my arm for a period of time... just makes me feel sick. Even the thought of it makes my body ache. I don't understand. :dunno:

Ginger blood is probably toxic anyways.

MalibuStacy
12-14-2015, 08:30 PM
I was until the found out about my bicuspid aortic valve. Then they rejected me.
:(

ExtraSlow
12-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I really wish I would...

I'm perfectly fine with needles. I'm not fine with the thing sticking in my arm for a period of time... just makes me feel sick. Even the thought of it makes my body ache. I don't understand. :dunno: I have a relative like this. Totally fine for the first five minutes, but after ten minutes, cold sweat and nausea. That person has been asked to stop trying after several aborted attempts.

speedog
12-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I really wish I would...

I'm perfectly fine with needles. I'm not fine with the thing sticking in my arm for a period of time... just makes me feel sick. Even the thought of it makes my body ache. I don't understand. :dunno:

Ginger blood is probably toxic anyways.
C'mon, come with me and donate platelets, 75+ minutes hooked up to the machine and the wonderful lip tingles on your last return, sometimes finger and chest tingles too. Good times.

Dirty_SOHC
12-30-2015, 10:50 AM
I'll be donating platelets for the first time this coming Saturday! :thumbsup:

speedog
12-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
I'll warm up the machine for you this evening with my 149th donation, please do report back on your experience. Be forewarned, grab a bunch of reading material before you get hooked up and also go to the bathroom even if you don't need to because the fluids they'll pump back into you can sometimes have your back teeth floating near the end of the session. Also, keep your liquid consumption low before your donation so you don't have the same problem as well. Take the heat and blanket if offered plus the Tums - most people will cool down and the Tums, well they'll explain that.

speedog
12-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Oops, donation 145 right now and a large (double) volume one as well, about 75 minutes hooked up to the machine. Platelet count was 290 (290,000) tonight, last time three weeks ago was 245 - both were good for large volume donations.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qxymughe4z0w7fp/20151230_193443.jpg

fiveowed
12-30-2015, 09:02 PM
I received many units of donated blood not even two years ago, while fighting cancer. So thank you to the people who donate!:thumbsup:

Dirty_SOHC
01-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

My appointment to donate platelets was a bust, as the lady forgot to pencil my appointment in. :dunno:

The clinic was full and the next available weekend session is in late March...

haggis88
01-20-2016, 01:25 PM
tried to in the UK, was told that my skin condition (eczema) was too bad at the time and they couldn't poke my arm with the needle.

Obviously can't in Canada, due to being born in the UK and living there during the BSE/vCJD saga

JordanEG6
01-20-2016, 01:59 PM
I had a bad experience with the first and only time I've done it. My guess is the nurse inserted it incorrectly as I felt a dull pain/discomfort the entire time, apparently it supposed to be a near painless process. The next day my entire forearm was in various shades of red/black/purple.

Haven't gone since. Too afraid at this point. lol

Shax
01-20-2016, 02:23 PM
They rejected me last time I tried. Apparently having mononucleosis 8 years ago was enough to send me away. I am going to try again at a different place and see what they say.

BigDL
01-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Oops, donation 145 right now and a large (double) volume one as well, about 75 minutes hooked up to the machine. Platelet count was 290 (290,000) tonight, last time three weeks ago was 245 - both were good for large volume donations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxymughe4z0w7fp/20151230_193443.jpg

Dammm that is a lot of platelet donations, I think i did like 5 or 6 but I am back to whole blood for now (so much faster). I am at 25 total as of Yesterday.

speedog
01-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by BigDL

Dammm that is a lot of platelet donations, I think i did like 5 or 6 but I am back to whole blood for now (so much faster). I am at 25 total as of Yesterday.
Am booked out until the end of the year, every two weeks, accounting for times I might have to cancel, I should be good for at least another 12-15 this year.

A lot of donations is the plasma people - some over 700, can do that weekly and takes less time on the machine as opposed to platelets. Platelet donor are more difficult to come by for whatever reason and they like me because I'm usually good for a large volume or double donation every time I go, high platelet counts.

GOnSHO
01-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Not technically allowed to donate blood if ive had a tattoo within the last year.. and i get a couple additions a year so..

speedog
01-26-2016, 08:34 PM
146 right now, large volume (double) donation matched to 59 year old lady with acute leukemia at Peter Lougheed.

Sugarphreak
01-26-2016, 10:31 PM

speedog
01-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I get crazy dizzy/faint even when I just a small amount of blood sampled for testing... I don't know if it is just a physiological thing with needles/blood (I hated needles when I was young) or something else that is medical in nature.

Last time I had a blood sample I ended up getting so light headed I had to lay down for nearly an hour before I could even walk around. I can't even imagine what giving blood would do to me.
Both my father-in-law and brother-in-law will faint at the sight of their own blood and especially so if being withdrawn from them like you're speaking of.

Sugarphreak
01-26-2016, 11:13 PM

speedog
11-23-2016, 12:06 AM
#151 tonight, every three weeks now.

speedog
05-09-2017, 09:36 PM
So donation 155 is in the books, large volume (a double) because platelet count was at 286. Total time on machine tonight was 71 minutes, total time from walking in to leaving building was 99 minutes, breakdown as follows...

1839 arrive
1845 in screening (temperature and blood pressure ramen, questionnaire verified)
1855 in chair
1900 needle inserted
2001 rinse back started (final return of collected non-platelet materials)
2010 rinse back completed
2011 disconnected from machine (another several minutes to ensure needle site is closed)
2018 leaving building

My time on the machine is quite low, tonight's actual measured donation process was 61 minutes (needle insert to start of rinse back) and sometimes I've been as fast as 56 minutes - many platelet donors take this long if not longer for a single donation. There is nothing known that you can do to increase your platelet count, it is just what it is.

D'z Nutz
05-09-2017, 09:51 PM
1839 arrive

And just so everyone's clear, this was the year of speedog's first donation.

flipstah
05-09-2017, 09:53 PM
The Mayflower was an arduous trip I would assume.

J-hop
05-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I get crazy dizzy/faint even when I just a small amount of blood sampled for testing... I don't know if it is just a physiological thing with needles/blood (I hated needles when I was young) or something else that is medical in nature.

Last time I had a blood sample I ended up getting so light headed I had to lay down for nearly an hour before I could even walk around. I can't even imagine what giving blood would do to me.

Yea man I'm the same. It really sucks. It's called vasovagal response I believe. For me it's the needle as well as the blood.

I was fine as a kid, then around 17 I had to get a blood test as I ended up having mono, blacked out in the chair and the nurse had to catch me from slamming onto the ground haha.

Ever since then I have to warn them and I have to lay down when getting a blood test.

Thought I was over it about 3 years ago but passed out getting a vaccination.

Wish I could give blood, I might try some day just for the hell of it to see if I can make it through. It's actually kind of a relaxing way to pass out haha. Kind of fade to black and wake up feeling all tingly.

BigDL
05-09-2017, 11:23 PM
When do they move to Eau claire?

speedog
05-09-2017, 11:45 PM

In the next few months I believe.

D'z Nutz
05-10-2017, 12:00 AM

Who is "they"? The main clinic?

speedog
05-10-2017, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Who is "they"? The main clinic?

Yupp.

tonytiger55
05-10-2017, 08:19 AM
I tried to sign up ages ago but they would not let me.
They thought I might have mad cow disease.

rage2
05-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Yea man I'm the same. It really sucks. It's called vasovagal response I believe. For me it's the needle as well as the blood.

I was fine as a kid, then around 17 I had to get a blood test as I ended up having mono, blacked out in the chair and the nurse had to catch me from slamming onto the ground haha.

Ever since then I have to warn them and I have to lay down when getting a blood test.

Thought I was over it about 3 years ago but passed out getting a vaccination.

Wish I could give blood, I might try some day just for the hell of it to see if I can make it through. It's actually kind of a relaxing way to pass out haha. Kind of fade to black and wake up feeling all tingly.
Glad I'm not the only pussy around here. :rofl:

First time I passed out was in high school giving blood. Had no idea I would get so woozy at the sight of a needle. Passed the fuck out giving blood, pretty embarrassing. I can't even watch a movie with needles. Almost passed out watching that one scene in one of the Saw movies where they were thrown in a pit of needles. Watch them cut off a limb with blood everywhere, zero problems. So bizarre.

Nowadays when I have to get my blood checked yearly, I have a routine that I explain to the nurses. I'd have Metallica cranked in my headphones, look away, and they would tap my forehead when it's done. Mentally, I'm completely focuses on the music to the point where I don't even realize they're tapping my forehead haha. Pretty much the only way I can handle a needle without passing out.

Maxx Mazda
05-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Just a thought, a buddy of mine had that same issue and his sister was one of those cognitive behavioural therapists and got him over it.

Go on eBay and get yourself one of those fake needles they use in movies. The ones with the spring inside and the blunt tip, so even though it presses in on the skin and gives the illusion that it's penetrating, it doesn't actually.

Do that to yourself a couple hundred times to get used to the visual and you should be good to go. :D

FraserB
05-10-2017, 11:33 AM
They need to address the lack of parking. Once I don't have to pay for a few hours of on street parking to donate, I'll go back.

max_boost
05-10-2017, 11:42 AM
well I'm not extreme like raj but when I go for blood work I simply look the other way. i do not like getting blood taken out of my body.

speedog
05-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
They need to address the lack of parking. Once I don't have to pay for a few hours of on street parking to donate, I'll go back.

There is free parking at the current location, I've only encountered a parking issue only once in the 155 times I've been there and even then I got free parking in their alternate lot about a block away. There's also a 2 hour on street parking zone right across 13th Avenue - I've used that for free as well.

The new location will have free parking as well - that was a major concern of mine with respect to the new Eau Claire mall location but I have been reassured that parking will be free for donors.

D'z Nutz
05-10-2017, 12:54 PM
There is free parking at the current location, I've only encountered a parking issue only once in the 155 times I've been there and even then I got free parking in their alternate lot about a block away. There's also a 2 hour on street parking zone right across 13th Avenue - I've used that for free as well.

Yeah there's free parking, but there's not a lot of stalls and the surrounding areas are taken during the day. My sister got a parking ticket the last time she donated there cause she had nowhere else to park and won't go again.

J-hop
05-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Glad I'm not the only pussy around here. :rofl:

First time I passed out was in high school giving blood. Had no idea I would get so woozy at the sight of a needle. Passed the fuck out giving blood, pretty embarrassing. I can't even watch a movie with needles. Almost passed out watching that one scene in one of the Saw movies where they were thrown in a pit of needles. Watch them cut off a limb with blood everywhere, zero problems. So bizarre.

Nowadays when I have to get my blood checked yearly, I have a routine that I explain to the nurses. I'd have Metallica cranked in my headphones, look away, and they would tap my forehead when it's done. Mentally, I'm completely focuses on the music to the point where I don't even realize they're tapping my forehead haha. Pretty much the only way I can handle a needle without passing out.

Haha yea I'm the same with needles in movies, and I also vividly remember that needle pit scene. I think that was the last saw movie I watched to be honest haha

kvg
05-16-2017, 11:28 AM
I would and would love to, unfortunately I have a fear of hypodermic needles. I get my inoculations, etc, but it is terrifying to me.

ricosuave
05-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Wife and I are regular donors too.

Just wanted to say thank you to all that do donate, we have seen firsthand how it really helps people and families out!

Sentry
05-16-2017, 09:44 PM
I am not, it's a commie conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

jwslam
05-17-2017, 07:19 AM
Should start a new poll with "Cannot give due to psychological reasons"

keyjey77
05-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Should start a new poll with "Cannot give due to psychological reasons"

hehe right

I'd love to though I'm too thin and they won't let me

speedog
07-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Big padded envelope in the mail today, maybe I'll do the banquet when I hit 200 - didn't go at 100 or 150...

ExtraSlow
07-07-2017, 06:03 PM
I knew it, your last name is Awesome isn't it?

g-m
07-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Nope never donated

speedog
05-30-2020, 01:11 PM
175 today...

And then a lobster feast tonight to celebrate 30 years of marriage to my most wonderful wife.

The_Rural_Juror
05-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Voted for best Brad on Beyond.ca.

ShermanEF9
05-30-2020, 04:42 PM
Donated on wednesday! Very different from the last time I was in there when the COVID situation first started.

Toilet_X
05-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Always knew speedog was fyne

JRSC00LUDE
05-30-2020, 06:30 PM
I don't even know what my blood type is haha

D'z Nutz
05-30-2020, 10:57 PM
175 today...

And then a lobster feast tonight to celebrate 30 years of marriage to my most wonderful wife.

Congrats man!

... you don't look a day over 80 ;)

I hit 25 donations and got my bronze card last year and took a break because I think I was donating too frequently. I'm gonna start again soon.

ExtraSlow
05-30-2020, 11:00 PM
That's how you keep the marriage magic alive boys. Lobster feasts!

max_boost
05-30-2020, 11:09 PM
I feel like a horrible person. Never given blood. Heck getting blood work done makes me cringe looking the other way. Idk.

msommers
05-30-2020, 11:27 PM
Congrats man!

... you don't look a day over 80 ;)

I hit 25 donations and got my bronze card last year and took a break because I think I was donating too frequently. I'm gonna start again soon.

Is it really because they give you FREE cookies and soup??!

I'd go again to the Eau Claire location if you wanna go. Are people required to do COVID testing beforehand?

ExtraSlow
05-30-2020, 11:52 PM
I realized my physio needling counts as acupuncture, so I self-excluded. I did like getting soup from some old lady. Not quite as good as the Hythe Central Store.

D'z Nutz
05-30-2020, 11:53 PM

I'd go again to the Eau Claire location if you wanna go. Are people required to do COVID testing beforehand?

Sure man, just let me know when.

flipstah
05-31-2020, 07:06 AM

Red

I’ma registered blood donor cuz I want free cookies.

speedog
05-31-2020, 08:28 AM

No Covid-19 testing, some updated procedures again plus reconfigurations of the donor space and more specific Covid-19 questions.

Sorry ES but no old ladies for quite a few years now serving up soup.

D'z Nuts, I was on a bi-weekly schedule but I believe every platelet donor has been bumped to a 4 week schedule.

Plasma is starting back up Monday but not sure at what frequency - used to be week.

Crazy to think I've been donating for almost 40 years, started out whole blood then fairly quickly into plasma and then into platelets, probably have been doing platelets for over 30 years - it's weird in that I've seen CBS staff start their careers there as young people and have now watched them retire, sure do miss some of them.

Yesterday was good bleed time, only 56 minutes on the machine and I did a concurrent large volume platelets and plasma donation as well - the other platelet donor was already on their machine when I got there and was still on the their machine when I left. In and out of the parkade in under 2 hours.

D'z Nutz
05-31-2020, 08:44 AM
I do full blood. The idea of being hooked up to that machine for so long seems very uncomfortable for me.

speedog
05-31-2020, 09:29 AM
I do full blood. The idea of being hooked up to that machine for so long seems very uncomfortable for me.

The new generation platelet machines are amazing, I even had a short snooze yesterday while hooked up. Of course after donating so many times and pretty much all,out of my right arm because my left arm doesn't like bleeding, I have enough scar tissue built up on my veins where they insert the needle that I usually don't even feel that huge ass needle going in.

For reference purposes, 16 gauge is what they usually use for platelet donations, 21 or 23 gauge is what is usually used for drawing blood for testing purposes at a clinic and yeah, I watch every time they put the needle in - just can't help myself.

Spoiler for the more queasy ones - not sure if it worked...

The_Rural_Juror
05-31-2020, 11:06 AM
Worst spoiler tag ever.

speedog
05-31-2020, 11:13 AM
Worst spoiler tag ever.

I didn't think it was going to work.

duaner
05-31-2020, 11:59 AM

I didn't either until my first donation in 2018. Now I have a card that reminds me, and the app does as well. It's only 6-7 minutes of bleed time and then free goodies.

I have donated three times since 2018 to try and figure out some iron issues--it was too high and then was too low (obviously goes down with donating but it was apart from that). Seems to bounce around for no apparent reason. Was too busy to go with finishing up uni but have an appointment for end of June at a mobile clinic in the SW.