PDA

View Full Version : Gas line for new stove

eblend
12-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a gas stove, but there is no line at the moment.

My basement is developed, but the stringers run right to the location of the stove to the furnace room, so you could easily run a pipe in there and then tie it into the gas supply. The job is pretty simple for an installer, so looking for someone to do the work.

Anyone have any recommendations for someone to do this?

Projek01
12-13-2015, 07:49 PM
I went with protech plumbing about 3 years ago. Listened and addressed my concerns about cracking my stucco when he was drilling through it. No complaints and the price was fair at the time.

Side note: it takes a long long time to boil water compared to out old electric stove. I can't use the range at max power without melting the handles off of the pots. Get one that allows you to crank up the BTUs without needing a 30" wide pot.

CRXguy
12-13-2015, 08:57 PM
I used Canyon Plumbing at my old house back in 2008. The basement was undeveloped. Had them do gas line to stove and outside line for BBQ. Think I paid $5xx or so for both.

rage2
12-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Projek01
Side note: it takes a long long time to boil water compared to out old electric stove. I can't use the range at max power without melting the handles off of the pots. Get one that allows you to crank up the BTUs without needing a 30" wide pot.
This x 10000. :rofl:

I hate cooking with gas. My gf does most of the cooking though, so I can't complain haha.

sputnik
12-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by rage2

This x 10000. :rofl:

I hate cooking with gas. My gf does most of the cooking though, so I can't complain haha.

The other problem with gas stoves is that they are PITA to clean.

s_havinga
12-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Interesting, I love my gas stove, ever since we go ours I get so annoyed at how long it takes to heat up anything or boil water on an electric stove.

ExtraSlow
12-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Induction is what you want if you want to heat shit up fast. I have an Electrolux Smoothtop radiant electric stove, and my in-laws have the exact same stove in an induction version. they can get a pot of water boiling in less than half the time. Plus, theirs stays cleaner, because the glass top doesn't get hot. Mine burns shit to a crisp and then it's very hard to clean.

Last house had a gas stove, and while it took a fairly long time to clean, it wasn't exactly difficult. I like gas stoves.

rage2
12-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Never had a cleaning problem with gas stoves, at least not with the one we have. Sure shit that falls in burns, but it wipes off really easy.

It's the cooking time that kills me. Instant noodles aren't so instant anymore. Also with full flame and the sides getting really hot, you have to be careful of how you cook, and shit not touching the sides as it'll burn and stick instantly.

jwslam
12-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by rage2
It's the cooking time that kills me. Instant noodles aren't so instant anymore.
http://www.amazon.ca/1800-Watt-Portable-Induction-Countertop-8100MC/dp/B0045QEPYM

or this :rofl:

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2013/10/20131008-269043-TRR_Rapid_Ramen-1.jpg
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/the-rapid-ramen-cooker-tested-by-the-ramen-rater.html

Related to OP: would this job be similar to adding a gas line for BBQ?

suntan
12-14-2015, 09:48 AM
I miss my gas stove. :(

eblend
12-15-2015, 06:59 PM
interesting discussion....perhaps i should reconsider and look more into it.

i like the idea of induction but don't want to rebuy pots....is there any way around this?

EDIT: did some looking...seems like some pots i have may already work...didn't realize that some surfaces just work as is.

G
12-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by eblend
interesting discussion....perhaps i should reconsider and look more into it.

i like the idea of induction but don't want to rebuy pots....is there any way around this?

EDIT: did some looking...seems like some pots i have may already work...didn't realize that some surfaces just work as is.

If a magnet sticks to it they work on induction stoves.

eblend
12-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by G

If a magnet sticks to it they work on induction stoves.

Sweet, that's an easy test. Gonna look more into it....my co-worker just told me today he burned his hand on his gas stove cuz the handle got too hot....I didn't realize this was even an issue, but reading more about it here seems to confirm it. Is it all gas stoves, or just some? It seems like lots of cooks like the gas stoves?

avishal26
12-15-2015, 09:57 PM
^ I have a KitchenAid gas stove, not had a problem burning handles yet. (been using gas stoves in this house and the last for about 3 years now... me and my wife both like to cook)

I guess if you're trying to use a small pan/pot on a large burner :dunno:

G
12-15-2015, 10:22 PM

Sweet, that's an easy test. Gonna look more into it....my co-worker just told me today he burned his hand on his gas stove cuz the handle got too hot....I didn't realize this was even an issue, but reading more about it here seems to confirm it. Is it all gas stoves, or just some? It seems like lots of cooks like the gas stoves?

It's like instant reboil :D

fzE1bv8ig_Y

rage2
12-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Gonna look more into it....my co-worker just told me today he burned his hand on his gas stove cuz the handle got too hot....I didn't realize this was even an issue, but reading more about it here seems to confirm it. Is it all gas stoves, or just some? It seems like lots of cooks like the gas stoves?
I was burning myself every time I cooked when I first got the gas stove. I'm now using the proper sized pots on each burner, and that seems to have solved the hot handle problem, but I'm still not used to the top lip of the pots getting so damn hot. With electric and induction, only the bottom gets hot, so I've been used to accidently brushing the top lip of the pot all my life. Not easy to unlearn, so I seem to burn myself once a month. Maybe I'm just an idiot. :rofl:

Another one is leaving chopsticks in the pot while it's cooking, and much like the handle, it gets fucking hot as fuck. Burnt myself there with wooden chopsticks pretty good haha.

Projek01
12-16-2015, 12:47 AM
I have seen some stoves with better designs to help this problem. It has two burners stacked on top of each other for different sized pots and a stronger flame when you are using a big pot. Look at the higher end "Wolf" brand stoves and you will know what I am talking about. I believe some this technology has trickled down to much cheaper stoves now.

jwslam
12-16-2015, 08:14 AM
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/denmark-reg-8-inch-stainless-steel-induction-interface-disk/1042271550
Induction-ready plate which then transfers heat to the pot/pan.

rage2
12-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Projek01
I have seen some stoves with better designs to help this problem. It has two burners stacked on top of each other for different sized pots and a stronger flame when you are using a big pot. Look at the higher end "Wolf" brand stoves and you will know what I am talking about. I believe some this technology has trickled down to much cheaper stoves now.
My Samsung has that on one burner, but it's still the same issue. Set it to medium, cool sides/handle but not enough heat to cook fast. Crank it up higher which enables the second burner, and the same problem comes back.

hampstor
01-13-2016, 09:37 AM
I recently had a gas line installed for my gas range - I called around to several places and the general consensus was if they could T off on an existing line, then the charges would be in the 600-800 range. Of the places I called (there were about 4 of them), the contractor I ended up with was Protech because of their short turnaround.

Protech charges a base fee of $600, an additional $12/ft for materials, and then the CO detector (if required). If a second trip is required, there's an additional charge (I believe it was about $125?).

The total cost to me ended up being quite a bit more in the end (~1100) because:

1) The recommendation was to run a new line off the main as the existing line was nearly at capacity.
2) Given the length of that run, they had to have a second trip back because the line had to be pressure tested before the city inspector would pass it.

The fees I paid covered:
- all labour required
- all materials required
- city permit and inspection
- second trip
- installation of my gas range
- CO detector (required to be w/in 15m of bedrooms to pass inspection)

Overall, Protech was quick to book (came on single day notice v. others that needed weeks), walked us through the calculations and why running a new line was recommended, and answered any questions we had.

eblend
01-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
I recently had a gas line installed for my gas range - I called around to several places and the general consensus was if they could T off on an existing line, then the charges would be in the 600-800 range. Of the places I called (there were about 4 of them), the contractor I ended up with was Protech because of their short turnaround.

Protech charges a base fee of $600, an additional $12/ft for materials, and then the CO detector (if required). If a second trip is required, there's an additional charge (I believe it was about $125?).

The total cost to me ended up being quite a bit more in the end (~1100) because:

1) The recommendation was to run a new line off the main as the existing line was nearly at capacity.
2) Given the length of that run, they had to have a second trip back because the line had to be pressure tested before the city inspector would pass it.

The fees I paid covered:
- all labour required
- all materials required
- city permit and inspection
- second trip
- installation of my gas range
- CO detector (required to be w/in 15m of bedrooms to pass inspection)

Overall, Protech was quick to book (came on single day notice v. others that needed weeks), walked us through the calculations and why running a new line was recommended, and answered any questions we had.

Thanks for the info. With the info from this thread I decided that Induction is the way to go and won't be running a gas line any longer. $1100 can go a long way towards a new induction range