PDA

View Full Version : F150 5.4L issues? Cam phaser problem on 2010's?

Skrilla
12-14-2015, 03:04 PM
I am looking at adding another used pick-up to the fleet for around town pickups/towing. I found a sweet deal on a 2010 5.4 crew f150, approx 75k kms on it. It had a slight tick, which I am told by fellow owners this is normal, however there are years that have cam phaser problems?!

Has anyone had any first hand experience with these motors? I am still looking for a 5.0L if I can find one, but the price on this truck is really hard to pass up.

Cos
12-14-2015, 03:15 PM

NoPulp
12-14-2015, 03:33 PM
I would avoid the 5.4 personally. They're not horrible, but the 5.0l and the ecoboost are just better. As stated above that 5.4 was improved but still has issues.

The 5.4 does tick... injectors are noisy. Exhaust ticks typically too. It's more of a light knock you are listening for. If you do think it's the cam phaser I recommend just locking them out. I just did the lockout on my 07. I got the locks from Western motorsports and the tune from tecmotion.

I did a simple write up, there's more detailed info on the Web I would also recommend looking at.

http://www.nopulp.ca/2015/10/13/cam-phaser-lockout/

Skrilla
12-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I would avoid the 5.4 personally. They're not horrible, but the 5.0l and the ecoboost are just better. As stated above that 5.4 was improved but still has issues.

The 5.4 does tick... injectors are noisy. Exhaust ticks typically too. It's more of a light knock you are listening for. If you do think it's the cam phaser I recommend just locking them out. I just did the lockout on my 07. I got the locks from Western motorsports and the tune from tecmotion.

I did a simple write up, there's more detailed info on the Web I would also recommend looking at.

No ecoboost's for this guy, been down that road twice...

Cos
12-14-2015, 03:56 PM

J.M.
12-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Not much love for the EcoBoost anymore? :rofl:

btimbit
12-14-2015, 04:28 PM
I've had two 5.4L's, both ticked but neither ever had problems. They claim to have had the cam phaser problem figured out after 2008, but not sure how truthful that is.

My '04 ticks like crazy, sounds like a small diesel sometimes, but it's never had any issues other than the noise. I find it still runs fine, doesn't effect fuel economy (Just went to Drayton Valley and back on a little over half a tank) has 313 000kms and despite sounding like crap, runs fine. Another source of noise on these is the passenger side exhaust manifold warping.

I'd still go for a 5.0 over the 5.4. Better engine in every single way. But if the price was right, I'd get another 5.4 in a heartbeat

NoPulp
12-14-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm always surprised the negativity towards the ecoboost and even 5.0l. I would take either in a heart beat over my 5.4 if I could afford to.

None of my family or friends have had any issues with theirs. My dad's truck does have the long box shutter though, not really an engine issue.

benyl
12-14-2015, 04:41 PM
My 2010 has ticked since new. Haven't had an issue, but I only have 63K kms on mine.

How much is this Screw going for? I've been trying to decide if I want to sell mine or drive it until it dies.

Skrilla
12-14-2015, 04:51 PM
First ecoboost f150 made it 32k kms then a turbo went. A few min or issues after that and I traded it for a 12 screw ecoboost. Motor blew. We have one at our shop, it's always broken. Leaking coolant, had a turbo shutter. Not my cup of tea anynore. Fast as fuck for a truck though.

This one is under 19k before tax. Level kit. Bunch of extras. One owner.

Cos
12-14-2015, 05:03 PM

Shlade
12-14-2015, 07:49 PM
The 5.4 is junk. Move on and find a 5.0 truck that's 2011 and up. I'm skeptical about the ecoboosts due to horror stories. As far as the 5.4 goes any sort of ticking coming from that motor would make me want to drive into a wall.

My 03 2500hd 6.0 vortec with nearly 295k makes less noise than those 5.4's lol

Rat Fink
12-14-2015, 07:51 PM

Shlade
12-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
5.4L of any year 2004-2010 is like knowing you have herpes and you're just waiting for the blisters.

This

corsvette
12-14-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm good friends with a former manager for a oilfield service company, we'd talk trucks all the time. Some of those 5.4's would hit 250k without a single issue, most had the common phaser, exhaust manifold, coil pack, cat converter (which gets ruined when a coil packs it in) and spark plug issues. The phaser issues were less common by 2009, but by that time they figured out that oil weight and filter brand made a difference in how long they'd live.

They went through a run of 30 Ecoboosts and had a very high failure and repair rate. They run the 6.2 and 5.0's now (no more Ecoboosts ever) and aside from some oil pump failures they seem to be working ok.

ExtraSlow
12-14-2015, 08:49 PM
I have owned a couple different 5.4L engines, but never with the six-speed transmission. I think that would be a decent setup, but you should be getting a pretty big discount compared to the next year 5.0L engine, as it's much less desirable. The 5.0L beats it in nearly every way. You just need to decide how much that's worth to you.

I wouldn't be scared of a little tick, they all seemed to sound like that.

I am probably one of the last beyond.ca members of the 3.5 EcoBoost fan club. I'm really torn up that I had to sell mine. :cry: :cry: :barf: :(

Skrilla
12-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Yea even the ST I had the motor in that wasn't to great in the short while. Apparently there was some previous issues leading up to it but again another failing ecoboost. Either way it had to go :D

Going to check it out further tomorrow and drive a 5.0 they have. I'm looking at a 6000 difference in truck hence the consideration of the 5.4. Thanks again for the personal input.

Shlade
12-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Skrilla
Yea even the ST I had the motor in that wasn't to great in the short while. Apparently there was some previous issues leading up to it but again another failing ecoboost. Either way it had to go :D

Going to check it out further tomorrow and drive a 5.0 they have. I'm looking at a 6000 difference in truck hence the consideration of the 5.4. Thanks again for the personal input.

What happened with the ST?

codetrap
12-15-2015, 12:22 AM

Skrilla
12-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Shlade

What happened with the ST?

Lot's, both pre-existing and new. Rather not get into that tbh.

OT: Drove a 5.0L last night, definitely quieter haha, we'll see what numbers they come back with.

Cos
12-15-2015, 09:58 AM

Skrilla
12-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Good to hear, yeah the 5.0L is definitely better, just has to be worth it financially. I mean if I could get a 5.4L in good shape for $10,000 or a 5.0L for $20,000 no brainer, 5.4L. If you're saving $1-$2k then I'd go 5.0L for sure.

As it stands the 5.4L is 19,900 and the 5.0L is 24,900. The 5.4 is a crew cab and the 5.0 is a ext cab, which I am not to fond of, but for what I would be using it for it is not a deal breaker.

ExtraSlow
12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
crew cabs are worth several thousand more than supercabs/extended cabs.
So, in that example, that nicer engine is really costing you about $8000. That's not reasonable.

Where have you been looking?

There are a couple 5.0L supercab 2011's on Kijiji that look decent, and aren't terriblly high kilometers. Both in the $20-$22k range.

I'd have a hard time paying $19k for anything with a 5.4L engine, no matter what options or condition.

SkiBum5.0
12-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Just talking crazy here, but if you could get that 5.4 for $17K, you could swap in a junkyard 5.0L and probably be out the door under $22K. Same body, trans etc. Probably less than $22K if you could recoup some cash from the 5.4L

Skrilla
12-15-2015, 12:53 PM
I think the low mileage of the 5.0L is why they are asking the price. They have 2, one has 23k kms the other has 46k kms only $500 difference :rofl:

r3ccOs
12-15-2015, 01:10 PM
I think if you are towing, the 5.4 triton is a pretty good engine that just runs out of steam at the top end, which is very different than the 5.0

cam phasers are an issue, but also very much directly related to maintenance..

wife's uncle is a ford tech in Cali with an 08' with over 200k miles and doesn't tick... Using Motorcraft semi-synth and motorcraft FL500S filters every 3000 miles

unfortunately the triton is Ford's first real kick at the can of introducing a "complicated" variable valve train system, and timing chains/phasers require good lubrication.

Shlade
12-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
Just talking crazy here, but if you could get that 5.4 for $17K, you could swap in a junkyard 5.0L and probably be out the door under $22K. Same body, trans etc. Probably less than $22K if you could recoup some cash from the 5.4L

That is talking crazy. Because who the fuck would want to even do that. Good luck finding a "junk yard" newer 4v 5.0. You'd need the entire new harness and computer as well.

ShermanEF9
12-15-2015, 07:10 PM

That is talking crazy. Because who the fuck would want to even do that. Good luck finding a "junk yard" newer 4v 5.0. You'd need the entire new harness and computer as well.

if they are anything like the ecoboosts, you'll never get the swap done. they require ALL modules to run.

Shlade
12-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9

if they are anything like the ecoboosts, you'll never get the swap done. they require ALL modules to run.

Hence needing the entire control pack to run it. Aka full engine harness and computer. That just would never be worth the time nor the money.

SkiBum5.0
12-16-2015, 12:45 PM

If you can spell Google, you can find the answer to your question.

And you wouldn't need the computer or harness. Just the FRPP control pack which sells for $1400. The motor can be bought for less than $4000 dressed.

I was being a bit hypothetical since it wouldn't be worth the effort, and you can probably find an 11+ for the same money. But I guess that's why I started the sentence with "I'm talking crazy here."

Shlade
12-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

If you can spell Google, you can find the answer to your question.

And you wouldn't need the computer or harness. Just the FRPP control pack which sells for $1400. The motor can be bought for less than $4000 dressed.

I was being a bit hypothetical since it wouldn't be worth the effort, and you can probably find an 11+ for the same money. But I guess that's why I started the sentence with "I'm talking crazy here."

Maybe back in the day when you got your control pack for your fox haha. We're talking $2400 now for just the control pack for that motor. Buddy of mine is in the process of a fox/modular 5.0 swap at the moment

btimbit
12-16-2015, 04:04 PM
5.4L of any year 2004-2010 is like knowing you have herpes and you're just waiting for the blisters.

It would be a fun stat if I would've kept track of how much money I made from working on those shit engines in the time I was at Ford. It'd be right up there with 6.0L&6.4L powerjokes, and 6F35 transmissions.

Never any love for the 6.0 :poosie:

Now that everyone is so terrified of them I like them. So cheap these days

r3ccOs
12-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Never any love for the 6.0 :poosie:

Now that everyone is so terrified of them I like them. So cheap these days

I think the issue is that the cummins 5.9/6.7 (pre emissions), Ford 7.3 and the Duramax 6.6 are so much more reliable than the 6.0 and 6.4

btimbit
12-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

I think the issue is that the cummins 5.9/6.7 (pre emissions), Ford 7.3 and the Duramax 6.6 are so much more reliable than the 6.0 and 6.4

Absolutely they are, no question about that.

But if you learn and address the weak points on a powerstroke you could get and reliably run one for a long time for thousands less than getting a Dodge or GM. I'd probably do it if I didn't find the interior's on 07 and earlier Ford super duty's to look so awful

corsvette
12-16-2015, 08:57 PM

Absolutely they are, no question about that.

But if you learn and address the weak points on a powerstroke you could get and reliably run one for a long time for thousands less than getting a Dodge or GM. I'd probably do it if I didn't find the interior's on 07 and earlier Ford super duty's to look so awful

Absolutely, the 6.0 has a bad reputation, but it's a much, much better engine than the 6.4. Now that we know what the 6.0's weaknesses are and how to fix them they'll run well a long time trouble free. Do a simple EGR delete, change your oil regularly (with a 0 or 5-40 synthetic) and leave the stock tune you have a reliable engine.

Your right, there are some smoking deals on 6.0's. I've had one as a second work/farm truck for the past 4 years without any issues (did EGR and HPOP already) It's simply not worth anything on the market, I can't be bothered to sell it.

SkiBum5.0
12-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Maybe back in the day when you got your control pack for your fox haha. We're talking $2400 now for just the control pack for that motor. Buddy of mine is in the process of a fox/modular 5.0 swap at the moment

That's wild. I'm assuming that's the exchange rate doing that?

I bought all the parts for my car when USD was par with CAD. I wouldn't have been able to do the swap with the current rate.

More details on your buddies car - so far I think mine is the only one in AB rolling around.

btimbit
12-18-2015, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by corsvette

Absolutely, the 6.0 has a bad reputation, but it's a much, much better engine than the 6.4. Now that we know what the 6.0's weaknesses are and how to fix them they'll run well a long time trouble free. Do a simple EGR delete, change your oil regularly (with a 0 or 5-40 synthetic) and leave the stock tune you have a reliable engine.

Your right, there are some smoking deals on 6.0's. I've had one as a second work/farm truck for the past 4 years without any issues (did EGR and HPOP already) It's simply not worth anything on the market, I can't be bothered to sell it.

Early ones deserve their reputation, those are junk. But 05+ are much better. Still have their issues, but what I like is you can generally find one, and address those issues, still for thousands less than buying the equivalent GM or Dodge. And they're now old enough that parts are generally cheap, while new enough to be a decent drive.

6.4 might be a slight improvement but they're still costing a fortune to fix when they go wrong. Wouldn't touch that

btimbit
03-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp

Thanks for sharing. I'd heard of lots of fixes but never these lock outs. After doing more research I plan on doing it this spring

r3ccOs
03-16-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'd heard of lots of fixes but never these lock outs. After doing more research I plan on doing it this spring

I've heard alot of people using it to just get away from these phaser issues.

Only concerns are that you have only 2 options: full advance or full retard...
never go full retard

I believe there are after market cams and tunes that can be used in conjunction

basically turns these 5.4's back into a 3 valve version of the old triton

I also believe there are replacement phasers, just fixed cogs

Rat Fink
03-16-2016, 02:50 PM

btimbit
03-16-2016, 03:07 PM
I was just going to do the VCT solenoids and the lockouts at the same time and call it good.

Then sometime do the damn exhaust manifold

Rat Fink
03-16-2016, 04:16 PM

btimbit
03-16-2016, 04:49 PM

The VCT solenoids control oil flow to the phasers. If you are locking out the phasers then the original solenoids won't be an issue as they are rendered useless. To do both is a wasting money.

Good to know, I wasn't sure if they provided oil to anything else as well

benyl
03-16-2016, 04:51 PM
When did these new Solenoids come into production? Or are they a revised part?

MarkFJ40
03-29-2016, 01:59 PM
There are updated VCT's. I'm not sure when they changed. Heard using Ford phasers and vct's is the only way to go. Also Saw an interesting you tube that discussed the need for an updated oil pump.
https://youtu.be/6QPahVJJqFw
The oil pressure gauge is completely useless. I think the spec is 25 psi oil pressure for the phasers and the gauge doesn't show low oil pressure until like 7 psi or something stupid like that. The chain tensioner is also a failure point. The tiny seal blows out and leaks off oil pressure to the phaser. So if you check the hot and cold oil pressure spec and the cam bearings for wear you can waste money on new tensioners, guides, timing chain, vct's and phasers and hope it makes it more then a few months.
If the phaser is making noise when it is hot it means it isn't getting enough oil pressure and it will eventually fail. Mine dropped a valve on one cylinder and broke a follower on another. I bought a crate motor out of the states.

r3ccOs
03-30-2016, 08:18 AM
gotta wonder at what point manufacturers can go camless...

why not fully computerize control everything... why use a phaser to adjust valve duration