PDA

View Full Version : Friday Interview

Mitsu3000gt
12-16-2015, 07:04 PM
I have a job interview on a Friday (O&G Company) - the company has a casual policy on Fridays. I've never had one on Friday before - what would you guys wear?:

A) Casual (nice jeans, sweater or similar)?
B) Dress Pants/Dress shirt, no tie?
C) Full suit & Tie

Could maybe do casual + blazer but I never wear that combo, so I'll have to see what I've got in the closet haha.

I'm leaning towards option B, seems safe.

Xtrema
12-16-2015, 07:16 PM
B) Business casual is always good for a 1st impression without looking like a greasy salesman.

C) if you are going to be a greasy salesman

dtrieu
12-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Full suit and tie for sure.

KO22
12-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Its an oil and gas company on a Friday, dress casual. Jeans, good shoes and nice dress shirt, no tie of course (I see idiot EITs doing this and it makes me fucking cringe).

NEVER out dress your boss.

austic
12-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Suit no tie would be what i would go with

civicHB
12-16-2015, 08:00 PM
always suit and tie. It's an interview, it's not like they'll be surprised if you wore one.

know1edge
12-16-2015, 08:14 PM

adam c
12-16-2015, 08:16 PM
As someone who interviews potential candidates, I want to see people who dress up, shirt & tie, jacket optional but recommended, no jeans, polos.. Doesn't matter on the day of the week

Zhariak
12-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Suit and tie...

If you feel gutsy, and depending on the role you might be able to skip the tie... But since you're asking the question in the first place, I'd just say wear the tie...

Xtrema
12-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Tie? Really? What is this 1990s?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/69/5b/d4695b73b69cc862b0e09098873ab656.jpg
This is probably as far as I'll go unless I'm working in the financial sector.

dirtsniffer
12-16-2015, 08:57 PM
No way I'd wear a tie. My vote is sport coat and jeans. Should be a staple for Friday casual.

msommers
12-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Dress shirt and pants, no tie.

OU812
12-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Dress shirt and tie, no pants.

Neil4Speed
12-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Suit, no tie. Its an interview.

finboy
12-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Suit, no tie, maybe keep one in a jacket pocket and get a feel for the place once you reach reception. A quick trip to the washroom can get you the time to throw on a tie if it looks like it's needed.

sputnik
12-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Pants. Tie. Tits out.

pheoxs
12-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Suit and tie, doesn't matter if its Friday. It's always better to be over dressed than underdressed for an interview.

No one is going to look at you and go 'wow he's overdressed for this engineer position. That being said, don't look awkward as fuck like its your first time wearing a suit either.

Kloubek
12-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Just putting this out there, as someone who knows nothing about engineering field etiquette:

When I got my O&G Supplier management job 5 months ago, I was up against some pretty experienced competition. Of the 4 that made the shortlist, I was the only one who did the interview with a dress shirt, dress pants, no tie.

I agree it is better to overdress than underdress, no doubt. But there is also something to be said about the guy who comes in as himself. Clearly well put together, but not trying to be something he isn't. I believe it was the fact I was so genuine that helped me get the job.

Just sayin.

If nothing else, I'd drop the tie. To me, that just seems over the top these days.

Sugarphreak
12-16-2015, 11:21 PM

Projek01
12-16-2015, 11:32 PM
No jeans! just because it is casual Friday doesn't mean everyone likes or follows casual Friday. Cant go wrong with a dress shirt + dress pants with some clean shoes.

wintonyk
12-17-2015, 12:31 AM
minimum dress shirt an dress pants. First impressions are hard to crack. A suit and tie shows that you are professional and serious about the position before you even say a word. Tie can be subbed for a properly folded pocket square. If your suit fits like shit, it's better to just have a proper shirt and pants +tie.

Notorious1
12-17-2015, 12:33 AM
I don't think anyone is going to give you crap for wearing a suit and tie to an interview. Probably the safest route in my mind.

cream
12-17-2015, 12:43 AM
Did the interviewer specifically communicate that they have a casual Friday policy? If so, do casual. Jeans & blazer.

On the safe side though, suit & no tie.

Also used to interview candidates. Although I agree, you can't really overdress. I can't recall anyone who made me think, "wow they're fully dressed up" but I do remember the people who were way too casual..

A: will help them think you will blend into their corporate culture.
B: safe
C: he really wants this job..

Unknown303
12-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Sweatsuit.

http://www.awesomeinventions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/stormtrooper-onesie-hoodie.jpg

birdman86
12-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Notorious1
I don't think anyone is going to give you crap for wearing a suit and tie to an interview. Probably the safest route in my mind.

I had one guy look me up and down, ask me if I dress like that every day, and then grunt a little when I said not normally. It was a proper fitting suit with a nice tie and everything - their office was just a more casual dress code. And it was actually a pretty well known investment firm, the kind of guys you'd expect to be suit and tie ever day.

Now I do slacks and a blazer with no tie, (mostly) no exceptions. Suits are for bankers, lawyers, weddings and funerals.

lilmira
12-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Golden bikini, tell them you are the one they are looking for.

jwslam
12-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by KO22
Its an oil and gas company on a Friday, dress casual. Jeans, good shoes and nice dress shirt, no tie of course (I see idiot EITs doing this and it makes me fucking cringe).

I'm gonna keep busting my ties out for tie tue/thur

My boss is a lady :D

jwslam
12-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Sweatsuit.
http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/ztbmelsfvuy4qyncxjva.jpg

killramos
12-17-2015, 08:31 AM
If you do wear a suit make sure it fits. Best way to avoid the greasy salesman vibe.

ducaudi
12-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/ztbmelsfvuy4qyncxjva.jpg :barf: :barf: :barf:

blitz
12-17-2015, 08:42 AM
I'd do darkwash jeans, with dress shoes, dress shirt and a blazer. Unless your in the banking world, no one wears ties.

bjstare
12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Suit, no tie.

Even if you know the hiring managers, why would you ever risk coming in under-dressed to try and "fit in"? It's just not worth it. It's better to know you're going to present well, never know who you're going to meet if they walk you around the office.

And to whoever said never out dress your boss - that's BS (or at the very least, dependent on where you work). I've dressed nicer than the people I report to since the day I finished school - and still do. I've been recognized for it multiple times from people at various levels above me, and they have explicitly told me it makes a positive difference if you present well, especially if you're in any type of management position. :dunno:

Waldi
12-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by OU812
Dress shirt and tie, no pants.

second that

ExtraSlow
12-17-2015, 10:31 AM
You know, it is 100% OK to phone the HR person a couple of days beforehand and ask them if the company does casual Friday. Or better yet, if you had a week or two, just stake the place out the week before.

But if it was me, I would be doing something like dress pants and sport coat. No tie.
In the end, you need to be mentally comfortable and prepared.

Mitsu3000gt
12-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Wow, lots of replies - thanks for all the input guys.

I know for a fact the company does casual Friday.

I'm thinking suit, no tie. I talked to someone who worked there for 10 years and this is what they suggested as well. I figure as long as I look like I put in effort to dress up a bit, that's all they will be looking for.

If I panic last minute I'll go with the sweatsuit suggestion :rofl:

sputnik
12-17-2015, 11:01 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/vxn7i.jpg

SkiBum5.0
12-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Wear the suit, put a tie in your pocket. Find out from the receptionist what the other people in the interviewer's area are wearing and adjust as necessary.

Worst thing that happens is that your unusual (for a Friday) attire is an ice-breaker.

Clever
12-17-2015, 11:35 AM
I just did 3 interviews in the last month, one with a Big 4 company and two with the government. Two of the interviews were on a Friday, for those interviews I went with dress pants, dress shirt with tie, and a thin sweater. Any other time, suit with no tie. Good luck.

Feruk
12-17-2015, 12:17 PM
You don't work there; causal Friday doesn't apply to you!

Suit & tie, always.

J.M.
12-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by blitz
I'd do darkwash jeans, with dress shoes, dress shirt and a blazer. Unless your in the banking world, no one wears ties.

The last place I worked at had a tie rule in the office. I hated it considering it was an oilfield service company.

gqmw
12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
suit and tie OR suit and no tie

day of the week and the company's friday culture really has nothing to do with it

dandia89
12-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by J.M.

The last place I worked at had a tie rule in the office. I hated it considering it was an oilfield service company.

a blazer without a tie doesn't look right. should be like this:

dress shirt -> dress shirt+blazer -> dress shirt+blazer+tie in order of formality

Czar
12-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Just ask the recruiter what you should wear.

I've had interviews where the company was business casual, but the recruiter said to show up in a suit..

Apparently the hiring manager thought that a suit is what was required (for the interview), regardless of what the dress code actually was.

Mitsu3000gt
12-17-2015, 02:35 PM
More good info thanks guys. Have another meeting with the Headhunter today, I will definitely be asking their opinion.

Feruk
12-18-2015, 09:00 AM
Don't fuck stuff up trying to guess. I've got it wrong before and looked like an idiot.

Suit & tie ALWAYS.

ExtraSlow
12-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Drop by the offices and see who comes out of the elevator today as well. As my old army buddy used to say, "the map is not the terrain."

lasimmon
12-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Buddy had a friday interview with a junior to midsize oil company a couple weeks ago and the guy interviewing him emailed and told him not to dress up too much and that he would be judged if he wore a suit when the VP is in jeans :rofl:

Xtrema
12-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Buddy had a friday interview with a junior to midsize oil company a couple weeks ago and the guy interviewing him emailed and told him not to dress up too much and that he would be judged if he wore a suit when the VP is in jeans :rofl:

That's what I meant. Calgary has the most casual corporate dress code in the country. If I'm in TO, suit and tie for sure.

spikerS
12-18-2015, 10:58 AM
ask yourself this: If you were the hiring manager, how would you like to see applicants dress?

The company may have a casual friday, but you are not part of the company, at least not yet.

A long time ago, I showed up for a warehouse position in a suit and tie. The hiring manager said right off the bat how nice it was to see someone dressed nicely and taking the interview seriously. So much were they impressed with how I dressed that I had the job before the interview even started, and as we sat down, I was told that the interview was just a formality at that point.

Rule #1: Dress for success and to impress.

JfuckinC
12-18-2015, 11:48 AM
I've been following this all week, you have to post a picture of what you wear and the reactions for sure.

:poosie:

HiTempguy1
12-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Dress to impress :dunno: Interviews give extraordinarily little information on the hard skills an employee has, part of selling your soft skills is looking the part.

Cash Money Hoes
12-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by KO22

Did you read this in a Maxim magazine? This is one of those pieces of advise that sounds good to a purple shirt wearing assistant manager at the Met Grill, but when applied in practice is just plain bad.

Provided you are applying for a position working in an office, go with a property fitted suit (conservative colors and pattern) with tie. Make sure your shoes are polished and they don't have rubber soles and a square toe.

Sugarphreak
12-18-2015, 05:31 PM

taemo
12-18-2015, 05:41 PM
^this, dress to impress will only take you so far but what if your technical and comminication skills is not as impressive?
8 years ago, straight out of school i was wearing shirt and tie on my interviews but now.. something more casual yet professional looking is what i wear.. my typical dress code is pants and polo shirt.. just the same as our director :rofl:

i would rather wear something that feels comfortable yet clean looking than doing a fashion show on stephen ave/bankers hall

spikerS
12-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I suppose if I was hiring people to model a new line of clothing, then I agree

so, if someone came into an interview in shorts and a t-shirt, you would be ok with that?

Dressing up shows a sign of respect, that you took the time to prepare. It is an important event, and should be treated as such. If you can not take the time for that, you may portray that you won't approach your work with the same diligence.

You say you look down on people who dress smartly for an interview, yet in all of the hiring I have been involved in, and with all my contacts in HR departments, not a single one of them have docked a potential candidate for dressing up properly for an interview, and usually scores points.

Mitsu3000gt
12-18-2015, 06:44 PM
After talking to the headhunters familiar with the company, I just ended up wearing my most casual looking dress pants & a dress shirt - my two interviewers were in dressy jeans and I didn't get the impression they cared a single bit about what I was wearing. I was dressed up for a Friday, but nothing over the top. I think I would have been fine regardless of my choice after meeting them. You never know though - better safe than sorry I guess.

Sugarphreak
12-18-2015, 07:46 PM

blitz
12-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Why does it always have to be one extreme or the other? Jesus Christ everyone's pissy these days.

No matter what you wear, just make sure it looks nice. A proper fitting dress shirt looks better than a poor fitting suit any day of the week. Wearing a suit also does you no good if you it look obviously uncomfortable in it.

D'z Nutz
12-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Were you hit by the layoffs, Mitsu? Or just exploring options?

Mitsu3000gt
12-19-2015, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Were you hit by the layoffs, Mitsu? Or just exploring options?

Just looking at options for now. Trying to position myself as best as I can for 2016, since I think prices aren't going back up anytime soon.

bjstare
12-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Why does it always have to be one extreme or the other? Jesus Christ everyone's pissy these days.

No matter what you wear, just make sure it looks nice. A proper fitting dress shirt looks better than a poor fitting suit any day of the week. Wearing a suit also does you no good if you it look obviously uncomfortable in it.

:werd:

LOL @ "cocky attempt at using vanity to win over your interviewer instead of your own personality"....yeah ok. That's exactly what dressing well equates to. :rofl:

holden
12-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Someone mentioned not to "out dress" the boss. What about "out watch" the boss. What do you guys think about wearing a $5K+ watch to an entry level interview? As the interviewer would you see it favorably, unfavorably or no difference?

Dumbass17
12-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by holden
Someone mentioned not to "out dress" the boss. What about "out watch" the boss. What do you guys think about wearing a $5K+ watch to an entry level interview? As the interviewer would you see it favorably, unfavorably or no difference?
I don't interview anyone, but in my eyes I would think of the entry level person as an irresponsible person. Flame away

never
12-21-2015, 07:26 PM

I interview people and I couldn't care what a $5,000 watch looks like so it wouldn't have any effect on me.

Sugarphreak
12-21-2015, 07:50 PM

adamc
12-21-2015, 08:12 PM
If the person interviewing you is a watch guy, they'll probably be wearing something cool themselves. Instant rapport.

If they're not a watch guy, they'll never know the difference, unless you're wearing something extremely gaudy. Don't wear your solid gold Rolex GMT II to an interview, and you'll be fine.

I know if Pacman were to interview me, we'd be talking watches almost immediately.

blitz
12-21-2015, 08:29 PM

Honestly for a new grad entry level position, I'd view you as entitled and spoiled, and I wouldn't hire you because of it.

adamc
12-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Uhh, ridiculous, you have no idea where or how they acquired the watch. Maybe it was a gift from a wealthy relative, maybe inherited. Writing somebody off because of their watch smacks of jealously and/or extreme incompetence, neither of which should be traits of an employee in charge of making hiring decisions.

msommers
12-21-2015, 10:23 PM
It's pretty clear how many biases there are out there.

Bottom line: there is no hard and fast rule.

blitz
12-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by adamc
Uhh, ridiculous, you have no idea where or how they acquired the watch. Maybe it was a gift from a wealthy relative, maybe inherited. Writing somebody off because of their watch smacks of jealously and/or extreme incompetence, neither of which should be traits of an employee in charge of making hiring decisions.

I didn't say it wasn't ridiculous, but it's how I'd react. It has nothing to do with jealousy, I've worked with a lot of rich kids in my life and overall it's been an unpleasant experience. There have been good ones, but overall I'd much rather hire someone who actually needs the job. Ive found they work harder and have way more appreciation :dunno:

D'z Nutz
12-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by adamc
neither of which should be traits of an employee in charge of making hiring decisions.

Right. Because in the real world, everyone is qualified for their job and works to the best of their abilities with no personal agendas or biases.

If I was doing an interview and the candidate was wearing a $5K+ watch for an entry level position, I wouldn't look at it favourably or unfavourably, but it'd certainly set off some flags about the person's judgement and I'd gear some questions towards evaluating that.

bjstare
12-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Right. Because in the real world, everyone is qualified for their job and works to the best of their abilities with no personal agendas or biases.

If I was doing an interview and the candidate was wearing a $5K+ watch for an entry level position, I wouldn't look at it favourably or unfavourably, but it'd certainly set off some flags about the person's judgement and I'd gear some questions towards evaluating that.

Generally speaking, I'm with adamc. You have no idea how a person got a watch, and you also are in no position to make an even further reaching assumption on their personality or work ethic, when you don't even know how they got the watch.

While I don't agree with your assessment of "setting off flags" about a persons judgement, your solution of getting to the bottom of it during the interview seems like a reasonable alternative to just making a snap judgement and sticking to it.

Sugarphreak
12-22-2015, 12:05 PM

pheoxs
12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Do you guys think they'll judge me for my hello kitty watch? It's a limited edition so I don't want them thinking I'm trying to outdress them.

D'z Nutz
12-22-2015, 12:37 PM
So you think interviewers should spend time to get to the bottom of out of place accessories instead of making a quick assumption about it? Doesn't that seen like a waste of time for both parties?

IMO it would be better to just dress to expectations and avoid either getting silent judgement passed, or having to dive into the story of your fathers watch instead of focusing on the job you are applying for.

I'm not sure what cjblair meant, but I wasn't suggesting turning it into a red carpet interview but to ask questions to gauge if said interviewee is all flash with no substance, like so:

Again, in that case you are using vanity to appeal to your interviewer instead of your qualifications...

Sugarphreak
12-22-2015, 12:57 PM

pheoxs
12-22-2015, 01:47 PM
I'd hire you just so I could steal it later

Thats okay, while you are breaking into my desk I'll be out stealing your Fiesta to park next to mine.

Sugarphreak
12-22-2015, 01:59 PM

bjstare
12-22-2015, 04:35 PM

ask questions to gauge if said interviewee is all flash with no substance, like so:

This is what I meant. haha

g-m
12-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Well we know sugarphreak is the most superficial

pheoxs
12-22-2015, 08:35 PM
damn we would be awesome coworkers, you can feel the bro-love!

For Christmas cards this year I filled them all full of glitter ... so you may come to regret this.

http://i.imgur.com/6NP9RWz.jpg

Pacman
12-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Call me an old fuddy duddy, but if I'm going for an interview, it's a suit and tie. If it's a casual Friday, I might do dress pants, sports jacket, shirt and tie with a pocket square, but I would still lean towards the suit/tie.

In the past 17 years, I've been on lots of job interviews usually through a corporate headhunter and I have never, ever had feedback that I was overdressed for the occasion.