PDA

View Full Version : Best Tasting Menu

ExtraSlow
12-24-2015, 09:34 AM
There was a thread that had some good discussion of this, but thought it might make sense to have something more recent.
I know the restaurant in the Kensington Riverside Inn has this, and I have enjoyed it there. Rouge is a perennial favourite. Where else in town does a tasting menu that is truly top notch?
If money was no object where would you go?

It's been so long since I've done one of these, I'm no longer much of an expert. Have a special occasion coming up though.

b.rock1
01-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Done a lot of eating in Calgary and internationally, and for my money River Cafe's tasting menu is one of the best in the city. Chef's Table is good, but the tasting menu tends to try a bit to hard/chases after modernism but can forget flavor or have technical flaws.

If you're willing to travel, Eden at the Rimrock in Banff is also excellent.

Disoblige
01-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Although not exactly what you are asking for, I would not recommend Q-Haute anymore for tasting menu. I've been a fan of them for a long time, but they've gone downhill quite a bit over the past couple years. Trying to be way too modern with foam and other gastronomy techniques, and the food doesn't match the hype.

Rouge is hit and miss for me, as I've tried tasting menus many times. Couple good, couple that were just average.

I haven't tried River Cafe before, so that's on my list to try at some point.

killramos
01-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Vero bistro in kensington does a price fix menu a few days a week ( not weekends ) that sounded very appealing last time i was in there. The chef came out to chat with us about it.

Meaning to try it some time soon. Book a table in advance though.

Beyond meet!

killramos
01-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Mexifries yo!

ExtraSlow
01-07-2016, 11:18 AM
I was thinking the next beyond meet would be at tacotime. That fits the new economy better.

npham
01-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Tojo's?

We've been to one at Azureridge in Priddis and it was really good. I'm planning to go to their Chef's Table with a group of friends soon, and hope it's even better.

you&me
01-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Teatro, hands-down.

Eden in Banff is also very good, again if you're willing to travel / stay over.

I wasn't a fan of Chef's Table when we were there, but that was more to do with what was offered, rather than the execution and quality. The nice thing about tasting menus is that they're constantly changing.

I didn't know River Cafe even had a tasting menu... That's exciting.

max_boost
01-07-2016, 12:47 PM
I liked Teatro, Vero and Anju. Just stuffed by the end!

ExtraSlow
01-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Manhattan
01-07-2016, 03:08 PM
$120/pp for the tasting menu at River Cafe. That's my grocery bill for 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

you&me
01-07-2016, 03:40 PM
It says $95pp here - http://www.river-cafe.com/food_wine/menus/tasting_menu/

And really, is that unreasonable compared to just ordering off the menu? It's seven courses, including dessert; an appetizer, main and dessert isn't going to be much less... :dunno:

Manhattan
01-07-2016, 04:03 PM
$95 plus 18% tip plus GST.

Justing
01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by you&me
It says $95pp here - http://www.river-cafe.com/food_wine/menus/tasting_menu/

And really, is that unreasonable compared to just ordering off the menu? It's seven courses, including dessert; an appetizer, main and dessert isn't going to be much less... :dunno:

Is this available for lunch?

you&me
01-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Justing

Probably not.

A seven course tasting will take 2++ hours and is something you don't want to rush through, as you would likely have to if you were trying to do one for lunch.

If you haven't done one, I'd highly recommend doing a tasting menu, either for a special occasion, or for no other reason than just for the 'experience' of it.

Disoblige
01-07-2016, 04:59 PM
^^ I think he was joking lol.

Justing
01-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Lol, thanks you&me, but yes it was a joke.

Thought a $95 tasting menu would be perfect for a beyond baller lunch meet. :bigpimp:

CompletelyNumb
01-07-2016, 06:41 PM
I wish I was a baller. Gave Justin all my money before oil tanked :cry:

flipstah
01-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Although not exactly what you are asking for, I would not recommend Q-Haute anymore for tasting menu. I've been a fan of them for a long time, but they've gone downhill quite a bit over the past couple years. Trying to be way too modern with foam and other gastronomy techniques, and the food doesn't match the hype.

Rouge is hit and miss for me, as I've tried tasting menus many times. Couple good, couple that were just average.

I haven't tried River Cafe before, so that's on my list to try at some point.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

you&me
01-07-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ I think he was joking lol.

Lol, thanks you&me, but yes it was a joke.

Thought a $95 tasting menu would be perfect for a beyond baller lunch meet. :bigpimp:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

How could I have missed such a classic 'Coupe reference.

In that case - :bigpimp: :rofl:

dansmith11
01-21-2016, 09:57 AM
anew table in marda loop was one of my favourites

ExtraSlow
09-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Old thread bump. but pretty much same question as my OP. Special occasion coming up. Teatro or River Cafe?

dirtsniffer
09-24-2016, 10:40 AM
I had a great experience with my wife at Rouge. Can't comment on the other ones.

Mitsu3000gt
09-24-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm a huge fan of Anju, been there a dozen times at least and never had anything other than an outstanding meal. Tasting menus are cheap ($60ish) and corkage is only $15. They have so many good menu items though we often just order from the normal menu. Bottle of wine & more than enough food for two people + dessert for around $100-120 usually.

Rouge or Teatro for a really special occasion. Get the epicurean adventure (mystery tasting menu) at Rouge or the seafood lasagna at Teatro :thumbsup: I think you get more impressive dishes for your money at Rouge, but both are good.

max_boost
09-24-2016, 10:19 PM
Mmmm been awhile but both teatro and anju were excellent

Xtrema
09-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm a huge fan of Anju, been there a dozen times at least and never had anything other than an outstanding meal. Tasting menus are cheap ($60ish) and corkage is only $15. They have so many good menu items though we often just order from the normal menu. Bottle of wine & more than enough food for two people + dessert for around $100-120 usually.

Rouge or Teatro for a really special occasion. Get the epicurean adventure (mystery tasting menu) at Rouge or the seafood lasagna at Teatro :thumbsup: I think you get more impressive dishes for your money at Rouge, but both are good.

Anju is good but it's basically a trendy spin on Korean for a bit more than traditional Korean restaurants.

I love Rouge but I had no luck at Teatro. Every time had be underwhelming.

trevh
09-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Anju is good but it's basically a trendy spin on Korean for a bit more than traditional Korean restaurants.

I love Rouge but I had no luck at Teatro. Every time had be underwhelming.

Anyone ever go to the original location for Anju? It was just as good. Recently went to the 4av location and it was just as delicious, love the work this guy does with food.

flipstah
09-27-2016, 04:06 PM
I miss the tiny house on the West End. It's still awesome, post-move but not the same vibe. If that makes sense.

Manhattan
09-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Anju tasting menu at old location used to be just about everything in the kitchen that night. It was at least 7 or 8 courses. Now their tasting menu is 3 or 4 things and is hardly enough food.

CompletelyNumb
09-27-2016, 11:55 PM
Rouge.

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Anju lets you add whatever you want from the menu to their tasting menu if it's not enough food for you (it's $50 or 60 depending on the night so it's dirt cheap already). I disagree that it's just another standard Korean restaurant with a twist :)

timdog
09-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Ox and Angela has a good tasting menu that i've had a few times (their brunch one is awesome too). it's on the cheaper side too, I think $45 for dinner and only ~$25ish for the brunch one.

flipstah
09-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Hmm, I found Ox and Angela to be hype.

Maybe because the tapas concept doesn't fly with me as I'm used to sharing Asian family-style, and not that type. Tasted good though!

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2016, 02:20 PM
I had a normal meal at Ox & Angela, not the tasting menu, but it was good. I love tapas because I can try many things instead of 2-3 before I'm full, and if I don't like something I'm not committed to a 30-$40 plate. Deciding on a single main course is always difficult haha.

Dycker
10-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Never been to Rouge, but Rouge Bistro never disappoints.

nj2Type-S
08-01-2018, 10:33 PM
BUMP!

my wife’s birthday is coming up, and the idea of a tasting menu piqued our interest. we actually tried to book a reservation at rouge, but they are fully booked when we’d like to go. we’re leaning towards teatro, though. any recent experiences there? thanks!

P_D
08-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Would it not be more reasonable to eat the food then the menu?