PDA

View Full Version : Garage containment mats

StreetRacerX
12-27-2015, 11:43 AM
The issue I had since buying this home with the garage has become significantly worse as the result of the unit heater I installed this summer and I am in the market for a garage containment mat for all the water and snow that drops onto the floor from the vehicle when it is parked.

I've looked at a couple options thus far and would like anyone who uses any of these mats first hand experience with them.

The Park Smart Clean Park mat seems to be the most popular but people who have reviewed them say they are crap to install and are of poor quality:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000735373.html

The next one I found was Auto Floor Guard Containment mat, which I can't seem to find any negative reviews of and is the mat I want due to it being wider than most others, I can't seem to find these locally other than

http://wickedworkshops.ca/auto-floor-guard-garage-floor-mats/

The next one I found is similar looking to the Auto Floor Guard one but made in Canada I guess?

http://www.canadamats.ca/garage-containment-mats.html

eblend
12-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Interesting idea, never knew about these. I just use a large squeegee blade broom thing to take all the crap out of the garage, along with a humidity controlled exhaust fan, seems to work alright

http://www.concretesupplyhouse.com/images/products/gg224_lg.jpg

Kavy
12-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Interesting idea, never knew about these. I just use a large squeegee blade broom thing to take all the crap out of the garage, along with a humidity controlled exhaust fan, seems to work alright

http://www.concretesupplyhouse.com/images/products/gg224_lg.jpg

Must Buy.

I will be hunting for those next week. I have been dealing with a soaking wet garage for two years now.

StreetRacerX
12-27-2015, 11:51 PM
I'm afraid a squeegee won't save my drywall as it goes right to the concrete floor and the water runs towards the wall.

mix123
12-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Put in a drain...

rob the knob
12-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by mix123
Put in a drain...

how you add a drain to old cement floor?

ExtraSlow
12-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Are drains in garages legal in the city?

benyl
12-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Yes, I have 2.

codetrap
12-28-2015, 10:53 AM

benyl
12-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob

how you add a drain to old cement floor?

You cut it.

http://cdn7.buildingmoxie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Concrete-Cut.jpg

pheoxs
12-28-2015, 12:13 PM
My dad got a huge really heavy weight tarp and some 1" wood dowels, wrapped the edges around the dowels and uses that. It contains all the water inside it, then he uses the shop vac to suck up the water if it gets too much.

HiTempguy1
12-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I would think they have to run into the actual waste water lines and not just into the storm drain system.

Originally posted by codetrap
You could glue down some channel around the edges of your garage to keep the water from the drywall... or just cut the drywall an inch up from the floor to prevent the wicking...

This is the best idea, drywall shouldn't touch the garage floor.

I'm assuming that this is a detached garage (as the footing on a attached garage is usually concrete the first 2 feet up)? Because even if you cut the drywall back, you'll still want to keep the 2x4 studs from getting wet as well.

Proper ventilation goes along way, it surprises me how few garages have some sort of air return setup so moisture can leave.

StreetRacerX
12-28-2015, 02:10 PM
The garage is detached, thanks for the suggestions and all but for the time being I'm just looking to contain the problem as I also wish to preserve the concrete slab from the water/dirt/salt etc and don't pLan on coating yet. I'm guessing none of you guys have used the containment mats, I've read about the improvised ones and would much rather buy one prebuilt, I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience with them.

SKR
12-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX
The garage is detached, thanks for the suggestions and all but for the time being I'm just looking to contain the problem as I also wish to preserve the concrete slab from the water/dirt/salt etc and don't pLan on coating yet. I'm guessing none of you guys have used the containment mats, I've read about the improvised ones and would much rather buy one prebuilt, I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience with them.

My parents have what looks like the third link in your OP. They seem to work.

rob the knob
12-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl

You cut it.

http://cdn7.buildingmoxie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Concrete-Cut.jpg

is it that easy to do in calgary? i know you can cut basement for toilet. that is deep.
if you cut garage floor like that, then water freezes, and ice causes pushing on concrete? look like big problems. any experts here?

mix123
12-29-2015, 08:29 AM
I've seen it done in 2 Saskatchewan garages. Both were heated. Had a trough the length of the garage cut in by the overhead door then a hole similar to the picture above. Cement poured in and cleaned the trough up. Then put a submersible pump in the hole to pump the water. Your imagination can figure out where it pumps to. I also had one where there was a 3 foot deep pit in the middle of the garage. Similar to the hole above where the water just collected and then I would empty it with a wet vac every so often in the winter. That worked really well actually.

Ideally a new build with a proper drain is best...but thats not always an option

ExtraSlow
12-29-2015, 09:19 AM
If you were building the garage from new, a dry well below the low point that is dug down below the frost line is an option. I have heard of that being done, and apparently works fine for "normal" amounts of water.
I suspect that's a little more of a pain to retrofit into an existing slab.

StreetRacerX
12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Ordered a 7' 9" x18' Auto Floor Guard mat from wicked workshops, cost $429 shipped, taxes included. They sold out of the 8' 6" ones earlier in the year and said they won't be bringing them in anymore due to the weak dollar.

ZeroGravity
12-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Ordered a 7' 9" x18' Auto Floor Guard mat from wicked workshops, cost $429 shipped, taxes included. They sold out of the 8' 6" ones earlier in the year and said they won't be bringing them in anymore due to the weak dollar.

Very interested as well. Please post a review after you've got yours. Any reason why you didn't go with the third option? Is it because it is beige color?

Kjonus
12-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Here's another brand Tapson (http://tapsongaragemat.com/) that is made in Canada and available here in Calgary.

StreetRacerX
12-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ZeroGravity

Very interested as well. Please post a review after you've got yours. Any reason why you didn't go with the third option? Is it because it is beige color?

Beige isn't a bid deal to me, width is a major reason considering how my wife parks and backs into the garage, the Auto Guard mat is only 3" wider but could be the deciding factor for whether or not the Jeep is on the mat completely or not . If canada mats offered something wider than 7' 6" I would have bought from them.

StreetRacerX
01-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Might as well give my thoughts on the mat thus far;

Does what it's designed to do, only issue I have with it is the wrinkles in it haven't flattened out, but apparently it has to be left in the sun for a while.

Draining the water is fairly easy I just pull the mat halfway out of the garage lift the portion that is in the garage so the water drains to the side outside of the garage, then take a squeegee and push the water off of the mat. The frequency that I have to drain the water varies depending on the weather but I would say I drain it two to three times a week when the snow is sticking to the vehicle just because I don't like the tires sitting in the water all the time otherwise maybe once a week when its just wet out.

gregrego
01-14-2016, 06:22 PM
I've just been squeegeeing.. How I miss my floor drain..

Those mats work well, but are more work to maintain than just pushing the water out once a day.

is like to cut in a drainage system, but the floor is level so most of the water will not go toward a drain.

revelations
01-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Any pits in my garage would immediately get filled with sand and gravel - pumps would have a short working life with the salts used on the roads as well. I was thinking something more passive in our, sunken and sloping garage floor.

cyra1ax
01-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Does the mat not move at all when driving on/off it?

StreetRacerX
01-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by cyra1ax
Does the mat not move at all when driving on/off it?

I never have any issues with it myself, I assume you might have an issue with a standard trans, or if you have to gas/brake while on top of the mat. The wife manages to move it every once in awhile though, went out this morning and it was partially under the garage door :nut: otherwise no problems with it yet.

theken
01-24-2016, 10:50 PM
does your garage not have a footing? just drywall to the ground?

StreetRacerX
01-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by theken
does your garage not have a footing? just drywall to the ground?

This is correct, and the main reason I have the mat, still sucks that I have some drywall to replace as a result of water damage but at least I don't have to worry about it any more.

cyra1ax
01-26-2016, 09:28 PM

I never have any issues with it myself, I assume you might have an issue with a standard trans, or if you have to gas/brake while on top of the mat. The wife manages to move it every once in awhile though, went out this morning and it was partially under the garage door :nut: otherwise no problems with it yet.

Yeah....that was my worry. I guess this won't work for our garage since there's a manual and a driver who hits the gas/brake right on the threshold.