PDA

View Full Version : how many wears before need to dry clean a SUIT

rob the knob
12-28-2015, 11:42 AM
how often do you dry clean your suit? i bought a new suit on boxing day and have a few events this week. how often do you clean, if you don't spill or anything? only normal wear.

vengie
12-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Depends on a few things, what material? how much do you sweat? Is there alcohol at these events? If so, how drunk do you plan on getting?

I usually go ~10x before dry cleaning. Some people go more often, some people go less.

Jlude
12-28-2015, 01:16 PM
If you're drinking even 1 night/event, then you need to get it cleaned, that's what I find. I also smoke on occasion, which means it's one and done for my suits.

cosmok
12-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Try to dry clean as little as possible. Rotation, steam cleaning, brushing and airing it out can prolong the time between dry cleaning. Buy a good set of wood hangers for the trousers and the jacket, also try not to wear it two days in a row.

killramos
12-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Depends on how often you replace your suits imo.

If you are going to a few event I would consider getting it cleaned afterwards. If it goes unworn and is bagged it shouldn't need to be cleaned. Near indefinitely.

If its noticeably dirty it should also be cleaned. If it smells it should be cleaned. If it's been over a year then I would clean it after an event.

Some suits are also much more suited to day-day use than others. So that's a factor. Day to day wear suits I would dry clean probably once every couple weeks to a month.

black_2.5RS
12-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Generally speaking, I will get 5 or 6 wears out of my suits before the crease in the pants begin to look soft and sometimes creases in the jacket. That's usually more an indicator to me to get it drycleaned. That said, the fabric of the suit will vary, softer / lighter suits = less wears in my case, heavier suits (probably closer to 10x) = more wears as they tend to hold the creases a bit better.

idriveabox
12-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Only dryclean a suit if it's stained or smells. The process is very hard in the fabric. Give it a good steam and this will also restore the garmets creases.

rob the knob
12-28-2015, 08:33 PM
thankyou for the information gentlemen

sexualbanana
01-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
Generally speaking, I will get 5 or 6 wears out of my suits before the crease in the pants begin to look soft and sometimes creases in the jacket. That's usually more an indicator to me to get it drycleaned.

You can always just get them pressed, if it's not noticeably dirty or smelly

Lex350
01-04-2016, 11:09 AM
I average once a month but I rotate out between 6 suits. It really depends on if I've just mostly been in the office or out on a job site.

BigShow
01-05-2016, 08:30 PM
On topic, which dry cleaners are you going to for your suits? Where is the best?

sexualbanana
01-14-2016, 04:28 PM
IhVpjxWZ-UA

Mitsu3000gt
01-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Do you guys just buy steam cleaners and do that yourself, or is this a service you can request from the drycleaners?