PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Season

flipstah
12-28-2015, 11:53 AM
So they moved Malaysia around and Germany is back!

I hope McLaren gets their stuff together this season'.

gregrego
01-14-2016, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
So they moved Malaysia around and Germany is back!

I hope McLaren gets their stuff together this season'.

For me it's anyone but Hamilton this year.. I think that he is a bit of a whiner, if Mercedes proves to be dominant again, I would rather Rosberg win the championship.

I'm a Ferrari guy, so I was excited when Vettel joined but it was a challenging year..

Just checked the race schedule for '16, Baku looks very interesting..

killramos
01-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by gregrego

For me it's anyone but Hamilton this year.. I think that he is a bit of a whiner,

I would rather Rosberg win the championship.

lolwut?

I think that one needs some explanation on your part.

I haven't seen Hamilton do anything wrong or really even unsportsmanlike all year, the only thing he has done wrong is be better than everyone else.

He even won sports personality of the year in 2014 and is shortlisted for 2015, not something you accomplish if you are a huge cunt on the circuit.

Rosberg on the other hand... Easily the saltiest member of F1 in years. Which is ridiculous. If anyone has a right to be salty its Alonso :rofl: .

I think you are just grumpy that Ferrari shit the bed and are taking it out on the No 1. driver.:dunno:

OTown
01-14-2016, 11:06 AM
Hoping Kimi can make something out of this season.

gregrego
01-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by killramos

lolwut?

I think that one needs some explanation on your part.

I haven't seen Hamilton do anything wrong or really even unsportsmanlike all year, the only thing he has done wrong is be better than everyone else.

He even won sports personality of the year in 2014 and is shortlisted for 2015, not something you accomplish if you are a huge cunt on the circuit.

Rosberg on the other hand... Easily the saltiest member of F1 in years. Which is ridiculous. If anyone has a right to be salty its Alonso :rofl: .

I think you are just grumpy that Ferrari shit the bed and are taking it out on the No 1. driver.:dunno:

I agree I am biased and a hater of Hamilton due to his success and that he hangs out with the Kardashian (yuck), however, when it comes to his "spats" with Rosberg, I always viewed them as being brought on by Hamilton. Throwing hats, not shaking hands, comments over the radio during the race. I get they are competitors on the same team, but I kind of expect them to have a better relationship.

I will give props to his driving skill, the guy can flat out drive better than anyone else out there..

killramos
01-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Yea it all went to hell in a hand basket after the incident where Rosberg intentionally took him out of a race.

You are really cherry picking incidents out of context of the races or even the bigger picture of the season in the team.

As i said if you look at everything, and the actions that lead up to things, Rosberg is the whiny salty one if anyone is. If the team wasn't so successful you can bet he would have been kicked off the team and not renewed.

This isn't the same as Vettel being on the top and bitching about anything that looks to take away his advantage 3 years ago.

EK 2.0
01-14-2016, 03:28 PM

Throwing hats, not shaking hands, comments over the radio during the race. I get they are competitors on the same team, but I kind of expect them to have a better relationship.

Maybe I am more Lewis biased when choosing between the two of them...but I don't think that the hat throwing was as big a deal as what cats are making out to be. Yeah it looked bad to outsiders, but it seemed no worse than an older brother would do to a bratty younger brother...

n1zm0
01-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Quick question for those who have been to a full F1 weekend event, is it advisable to bring ear plugs/ear defenders? I assume if I want to preserve my ears for the whole race I should bring them?

Mibz
01-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Last season was fine without them. They're claiming cars are going to be much louder this year though. I'd probably bring some foam ear plugs just in case. It'll depend on support races/events as well, some of those cars are ridiculous.

n1zm0
01-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Last season was fine without them. They're claiming cars are going to be much louder this year though. I'd probably bring some foam ear plugs just in case. It'll depend on support races/events as well, some of those cars are ridiculous.

I think I'll bring the defenders in a bag just in case tnx, I heard about that new wastegate exhaust rule from the FIA, with the sole intention to make the cars louder with no performance increase, so should be an interesting experience on the ears :nut:

killramos
01-26-2016, 04:16 PM
I last went prior to the turbo era and it was definitely necessary. I see no harm in bringing some foam plugs in any case, I'm sure even now its loud enough to damage hearing but then again so are most concerts.

Personally what I used that worked the best were a pair of silicone shooting earplugs that allow for conversation up to a certain DB point ( damage ) where a membrane is pushed shut protecting your hearing.

Like these ( not the ones i have but you get the idea) : http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-accessories/hearing-protection-enhancement%7C/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104381280/hearing-ii-protectors/741627.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhearing-protection-enhancement%2F_%2FN-1100132%2B4294381922%2FNe-4294381922%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

One factor is if you want to be able to hear commentary during the race ( FM or streaming? ) and wear headphones for that purpose as well.

n1zm0
01-26-2016, 04:20 PM
One factor is if you want to be able to hear commentary during the race ( FM or streaming? ) and wear headphones for that purpose as well.

Oh I never even thought about that, would be plus then if I could bring my over ear vmoda headphones for commentary plus ear protection.

But yeah, I have the silicone, foam and some snap-on ear defenders so should be ok.

killramos
01-26-2016, 04:27 PM
One big takeaway from live F1 i had is that it can be a bit hard to tell whats going on in the race. I doesn't help that I am pretty blind and the TV screens were WAY to far away to determine who the leaders were etc. I think listening to commentary would help a ton with this, even just to hear who is pitting etc. or why a car dissapeared from the pack lol.

I think if you are in the main grandstand its not as big of a deal as you can see who is pitting or walked in etc.

But for me i was nowhere near and as such after about halfway through i had no idea what was going on and proceeded to just enjoy watching the cars.

This was at Catalunya as a note.

BavarianBeast
01-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Putting some bets together..

Lewis Hamilton -200
Sebastian Vettel +275
Nico Rosberg +300
Kimi Raikkonen +2500
Daniel Ricciardo +4000
Fernando Alonso +4000
Valtteri Bottas +5000
Felipe Massa +6600
Jenson Button +8000
Daniil Kvyat +10000
Max Verstappen +20000
Nico Hulkenberg +20000
Carlos Sainz Jnr +25000
Romain Grosjean +25000
Felipe Nasr +50000
Marcus Ericsson +50000
Pastor Maldonado +50000

Is Lewis really that good?

flipstah
01-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Quick question for those who have been to a full F1 weekend event, is it advisable to bring ear plugs/ear defenders? I assume if I want to preserve my ears for the whole race I should bring them?

When we went to Malaysia, we fully utilized ear plugs and made the weekend way better.

Mibz
01-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Is Lewis really that good? Mercedes is that good, and Lewis is that much better than Rosberg.

That said, Rosberg could be a decent bet this year. If Mercedes remains dominant then Rosberg has a legit shot. I don't think +275 is worth betting on Ferrari overtaking Merc, and betting on Kimi would be throwing your money away. If you wanted to make a safe-ish bet this year then I think Rosberg is a good choice.

McLaren is big risk, big reward. At +4000 I'll probably put some money on them. Hell, I might hedge between Alonso and Button just in case Alonso's FUCKING FIRE SKILLS cause reliability problems.

I think Honda and Renault have an equally garbage chance of getting their shit together in time to win this championship, and I think both cars have great chassis and drivers, so clearly my bet is coming from being a fanboy. Maybe Ricciardo is more your style :P

buh_buh
01-26-2016, 10:05 PM
I went during the V8 era, and I vote no earplugs.
Why plug the most beautiful noise you'll ever hear? The turbo engines of last year didn't feel like you were at a F1 race.

Mibz
01-27-2016, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Why plug the most beautiful noise you'll ever hear? Gonna drop this line next time I fart at your place.

Xtrema
01-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

At Montreal last year. You may need it is you are standing behind the fence whole race. But I thought the 458 Challenge was louder. Don't need plugs.

phreezee
01-28-2016, 10:44 PM
The oil price hit PDVSA and Pastor Maldonado it looks like:

Kevin Magnussen set to replace Pastor Maldonado at Renault

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/29871/10145882/magnussen-in-maldonado-out

gregrego
01-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Would the American GP be worth going to? It's close enough.. flights are cheap to IAH, I have only been to indy weekends in Edmonton, but I'm told they do not compare to F1..

Would I be better off saving and travelling to a european race instead?

A2VR6
01-29-2016, 12:52 AM
Would the American GP be worth going to? It's close enough.. flights are cheap to IAH, I have only been to indy weekends in Edmonton, but I'm told they do not compare to F1..

Would I be better off saving and travelling to a european race instead?

Austin isn't bad... hotels are pretty pricey however and parking sucks. The lots are fairly far from the track and you have to take a shuttle to the lot. The lineup for the shuttle after the race is huge.

Still, the street festival and the night events are pretty good in DT Austin.

malbadon
01-29-2016, 01:39 PM
If you aren't partial to any particular race, just wanting to go, why not consider Montreal instead of Austin? More history, same flight time, easy to get to (well, other than the walk from the subway) and Montreal also has good nightlife during race week.

For considering Europe, remember that with Westjet doing flights to Gatwick on the cheap now you can get anywhere in Europe for not much more than a NA flight, just hit Gatwick and then hop on a $60 Easyjet flight to the track you want :) We're doing the Spa-Monza loop this year since they are only a week apart.

BavarianBeast
01-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Mercedes is that good, and Lewis is that much better than Rosberg.

That said, Rosberg could be a decent bet this year. If Mercedes remains dominant then Rosberg has a legit shot. I don't think +275 is worth betting on Ferrari overtaking Merc, and betting on Kimi would be throwing your money away. If you wanted to make a safe-ish bet this year then I think Rosberg is a good choice.

McLaren is big risk, big reward. At +4000 I'll probably put some money on them. Hell, I might hedge between Alonso and Button just in case Alonso's FUCKING FIRE SKILLS cause reliability problems.

I think Honda and Renault have an equally garbage chance of getting their shit together in time to win this championship, and I think both cars have great chassis and drivers, so clearly my bet is coming from being a fanboy. Maybe Ricciardo is more your style :P

Thanks, decided to put a bet on Rosberg.

rage2
01-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Good luck with the Rosberg bet. McLaren Honda gained 300hp according to the media, so you're all fucked! :rofl:

flipstah
01-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Good luck with the Rosberg bet. McLaren Honda gained 300hp according to the media, so you're all fucked! :rofl:

VTEC JUST KICKED IN!

Too bad my Magnussen shirt is now irrelevant. :(

rage2
01-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

VTEC JUST KICKED IN!

Too bad my Magnussen shirt is now irrelevant. :(
That's OK, they overstocked so much on shirts this year you can get an Alonso shirt for $5. :rofl:

Chandler_Racing
01-29-2016, 02:16 PM

From what I've seen the number was ~265hp.

All things considered that would probably put them in line with the power they were down on the Merc.

Hopefully some merit behind it as it would be great to see a three-way fight between McLaren, Mercedes and Ferrari.

killramos
01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
It's gunna be great to read back over these posts after Lewis sweeps another season :D

gregrego
01-29-2016, 02:59 PM
It's gunna be great to read back over these posts after Lewis sweeps another season :D

Hoping for a little more parity this year.. Races got a little boring at times..

chongkee_
01-29-2016, 03:12 PM

We'll see.
He tapered off towards the end of the season due set up issues(according to him). Luckily he built up enough of a gap to win the WDC.

killramos
01-29-2016, 03:45 PM
You mean when he had already essentially clinched the title? Only to let his teammate take the podium each time and finish second?

His record for the last 9 races of the year were:

Retire

Pattern a coincidence? I think not lol.

If anything his start was worse than the last bit of the season imo. Complete control to the end.

/unapologeticlewisfanboi

rage2
02-01-2016, 10:55 AM
That's OK, they overstocked so much on shirts this year you can get an Alonso shirt for $5. :rofl:
Looks like they ran out of adult shirts, and only kid shirts left. 2 for 5!

http://i.imgur.com/4R7Nfcs.jpg

That poor kid in the pic, he does not look happy at all wearing that haha.

flipstah
02-01-2016, 11:07 AM
SMILE OR YOU'RE GOING BACK IN THE CAGE

chongkee_
02-01-2016, 11:39 AM
You mean when he had already essentially clinched the title? Only to let his teammate take the podium each time and finish second?

His record for the last 9 races of the year were:

Retire

Pattern a coincidence? I think not lol.

If anything his start was worse than the last bit of the season imo. Complete control to the end.

/unapologeticlewisfanboi

I'm a Lewis fan as well. Just trying to keep my expectations low.

flipstah
02-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
The oil price hit PDVSA and Pastor Maldonado it looks like:

Kevin Magnussen set to replace Pastor Maldonado at Renault

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/29871/10145882/magnussen-in-maldonado-out

No more NASCAR hilarity for a while :(

phreezee
02-01-2016, 11:12 PM
We'll miss Crashtor Loldonado for sure.
(Need UK VPN to view some of the vids)
2015 Year in Review
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10147432/was-pastor-to-blame

phreezee
02-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Renault Livery Launch: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/02/03/renault-reveals-rs16-in-black-livery/

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/renault-r16-7-941x529.jpg

EK 2.0
02-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Liking it...think it would look badass during night time races....

killramos
02-03-2016, 10:48 AM
So a black hornet to combat the silver arrows?

I like it.

With Renault completely running the show on this team will they have similar power advantages as a constructor similar to MB and Ferrari vs their sold engines?

Would be hilarious if they managed to school RBR with this thing. Doubt it, but hilarious.

austic
02-03-2016, 11:18 AM
I think it looks good :bigpimp:

gregrego
02-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I didn't realize enough people wore jack and Jones so they could afford some prime advertising real estate on an f1 car..

phreezee
02-17-2016, 04:37 PM
New livery unveiled. Will have to wait a week for the car unveil.
Lost Infiniti as a title sponsor, but gained Tag Heuer from McLaren.

http://e0.365dm.com/16/02/16-9/20/red-bull-f1_3417536.jpg

rage2
02-19-2016, 09:54 AM
McLaren gets Richard Mille as a sponsor.

Well fuck, I can't afford that shit haha.

bjstare
02-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Well fuck, I can't afford that shit haha.

Just sell off 5 or 10 of your Tags? :rofl:

chongkee_
02-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Either that or start cheering for Red Bull:rofl:

flipstah
02-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Sell them to me. I can finally time them how slow they're going. :rofl:

Sykes
02-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Haas F1 unveiled - looks good! I like rooting for capable underdogs, so I'm hoping they'll be more than a backmarker right off the bat... :burnout:

HGXvf_3RtTI

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--egEFKtJI--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/xzwxtmslboupm0mrpp92.png

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--7RHiXOsn--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/cewr9hnn3genonlodo1b.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--QUieJsGe--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/xcu00ouqx6ppcjmz7dev.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--NIEwuHfP--/fvcicvjd1z3dlazme8ks.jpg

flipstah
02-21-2016, 05:53 PM
I hope they do better than Marussia in 2015

phreezee
03-09-2016, 03:19 PM
OutOfTheLoop: Didnt' know JB broke up with his wife, and she's with that loser John Mayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35166310/jenson-button-splits-up-with-his-wife-jessica-michibata-after-year-of-marriage

Brittny Ward seems like an upgrade (slightly NSFW): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3484128/Jenson-Button-s-new-girlfriend-Brittny-Ward-Playboy-model-previously-dated-Twilight-star-Kellan-Lutz.html

phreezee
03-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Qualifying changes set to start at Melbourne! It sounds complicated and stupid to me and drivers oppose it.

Q1 will last for 16 minutes and after seven minutes the slowest driver will be knocked out and forced to return to the pit lane. Six more drivers will then be eliminated at 90-second intervals before the session concludes.

With 15 drivers left in the running, a 15-minute Q2 session will then take place with the next slowest driver knocked out after six minutes followed by six more at 90-second intervals.

Eight rather than 10 drivers will then take part in the final Q3 session to determine pole position. This phase will increase from 10 to 14 minutes in length but the driver with the slowest time will be eliminated after five minutes and then one more every 90 seconds.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10191196/f1-in-2016-qualifying-revamp-to-be-introduced-for-australian-gp

Mibz
03-10-2016, 09:54 AM
I don't think it's gonna end up changing anything, but I guess we'll see.

rage2
03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Q3 will change significantly IMO. Before, everyone did the same strategy, banker lap on old tires, balls out lap on new tires at the end which lets you get away with a fucked up first lap. Under the new system, if you fuck up your banker lap, you're screwed, as you will start facing elimination after 5 mins forcing you to do a second lap with worn tires to not get eliminated (if you have the pace), but still risk elimination to waste 4 mins on an inlap/tirechange/outlap sequence to get fresh tires on an improving track. There's enough fuck ups for every driver throughout the year on their banker laps where this scenario will play out IMO.

Q1 and Q2 won't matter as much, as the faster teams will generally have enough gap to not get eliminated even on a not so perfect lap, which has always been the case.

Mibz
03-10-2016, 10:53 AM
You're right. I don't think anybody but Mercedes will be doing banker laps, they'll just start on new tires and go hard at the start, only staying out if they're not confident with their lap. Ideally this would mean that the cars facing elimination would stay out to try and beat their time, but I don't think it's gonna happen, especially if there's significant disparity between teams.

Did they mention what happens if multiple cars just don't go out in Q3? Are they then ranked by Q2 time? I imagine that would keep some people in the pits as well.

rage2
03-10-2016, 11:22 AM
I think Ferrari and maybe even Williams will be up there doing the first Q3 laps on old tires to get a banker lap in to secure a top 6 spot, and run new tires for the second half of Q3. The track improves quite a bit in that 14 mins that it's running so the top 3 teams will for sure save their new tires till the end to fight one another.

flipstah
03-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Bahrain

http://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl/0rAVWoP6/s8/f1-bahrain-gp-2016-selected-pirelli-sets-per-driver-for-bahrain-gp.jpg

phreezee
03-23-2016, 09:01 AM
The Redbulls are faster than the lame duck Williams now, and Horner has got some of his mojo back. Can't wait for Montreal to see if it comes to fruition.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10214888/red-bull-will-take-it-to-ferrari-in-2016-f1-season-says-christian-horner

schocker
03-24-2016, 02:52 PM
I like this:
http://i.imgur.com/ONVsVLYh.jpg
:rofl:

01RedDX
03-24-2016, 04:15 PM

phreezee
03-24-2016, 07:16 PM
They are thinking about a modified elimination qualy for Bahrain again. If they fix Q3 it might be worth another try.

flipstah
03-24-2016, 09:21 PM
I find it weird that Renault themselves isn't doing better than RBR.

Aerodynamics do matter.

flipstah
03-29-2016, 12:43 PM
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/fernando-alonso-sustained-over-46gs-in-his-terrifying-c-1767719273

:eek:

killramos
04-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Slow news day that the pre show is all about a racer who isn't even going to be driving this weekend. Man Alonso was pissed about the implication he should retire though.

Imo if anyone needs to give up its Jenson or Kim...

rage2
04-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Be glad there's a pre show haha.

killramos
04-02-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm just concerned at this point that they use Lewis's q3 screw up to justify their new system...

flipstah
04-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Stoffel is 12th tomorrow. Pressure cooker for JB22.

mikestypes
04-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Be glad there's a pre show haha.

I'm loving this extra coverage with ITV now!

Team_Mclaren
04-04-2016, 02:09 AM
Loving that TSN has got the complete Sky coverage now. A total of almost 8 hours of F1 every race weekend. Now i dont have to wait for torrent to come up to watch the whole thing/ :thumbsup:

rage2
04-04-2016, 07:46 AM
Don't forget to tweet or email TSN thanking them. I've been bitching in emails and tweets every single year and I'd like to think that it contributed to them going all out with the coverage this year. Remember, they can take it away as easily as they've given it to us. Back in the day, TSN had their own pre-show with Vic Rauter and Gerry Donaldson for those old enough to watch F1 back then, and they just took it all away and we went 10 years with that crappy 5 mins pre-race only coverage.

flipstah
04-04-2016, 08:12 AM
^ I'll do just that!

schocker
04-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Don't forget to tweet or email TSN thanking them. I've been bitching in emails and tweets every single year and I'd like to think that it contributed to them going all out with the coverage this year. Remember, they can take it away as easily as they've given it to us. Back in the day, TSN had their own pre-show with Vic Rauter and Gerry Donaldson for those old enough to watch F1 back then, and they just took it all away and we went 10 years with that crappy 5 mins pre-race only coverage.

It was good coverage with the exception of the extended period of commercials over top of the race then double commercials on the split view :rofl:

Inzane
04-05-2016, 01:06 PM

I missed out on Australia, but caught it all for Bahrain. The only thing I couldn't find though was the post-race press conference (where was it??), which TSN used to broadcast up until a few years ago when they changed the podium format.

phreezee
05-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Groupon for Montreal! https://www.groupon.ca/deals/gl-formula-1-grand-prix-du-canada-5?p=1&nlp=&CID=CA_CRM_1_0_0_125&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=3e53f1e6-e8ef-4829-82f1-718e260158db_0_20160504&division=montreal&eh=61c9c465087e44630c6d2dc2e2b5a94d55a3dcd7a574ef168adc2005b9f8c091&date=20160405&sender=rm&s=body&c=button&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=gl-formula-1-grand-prix-du-canada-5-93450392