PDA

View Full Version : GLA AMG vs C 450 AMG 4MATIC

cycosis
12-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Looking to upgrade this spring/summer and I have settled on these two models as an upgrade from my 230.

Both are wannabe AMGs in the eyes of an AMG purist but I dont give to shits.

Similar power, 375 HP from a turbo 4 banger from the GLA vs 367 from a turbo V6 on the C 450. Both have 4 wheel drive.

The upside for the GLA is the hand built engine. The C is a factory production line assembly.

But I think you get more bang for your buck in the C as the exhaust is included whereas its bundled into a $4500 package on the GLA which I would not add on. Nicer interior too. Not a big fan of the diamond grill though.

Most important, they both fit a car seat ;)

I have loved my C but I was tempted to try a different body style. Curious as to everyone's thoughts.

dj_rice
12-29-2015, 06:31 PM
rage2 will know best since he has the GLA45 and is a Benz expert, he will chime in.

rage2
12-29-2015, 06:35 PM
The GLA is way roomier than the C in the back for child seats, and the occasional adult. The GLA sounds more badass too with the much louder shift farts. Don't get too worked up on the exhaust option. It's just slightly louder. With or without the option you'll get the farts and the burbles.

The C interior is way more baller than the GLA interior. Quieter, and a much more compliant ride (compared to my 15 GLA45 with the stiffer suspension).

They both drive similar when pushed to the limits. The C450 maybe even a tad more oversteer in the dry.

Both cars are a good choice. Good bang for the buck, if you don't go balls out with options.

Xtrema
12-29-2015, 08:28 PM
I'm probably looking at the same time frame and I'm 80% sure on a C450, with B9 S4 being a year behind schedule. The other 20%? Jaguar XE or B9 A4 may surprised me if they show up in the flesh during auto show.

They improved interior of GLA/CLA but still C got the way better interior.

Althought CLA/GLA45 are the cheapest cars to get the performance seats as options if you like them.

s2k_boi
12-29-2015, 09:27 PM
Hey Rage,

Would you say the GLA can fit a rear facing car seat easily?

rage2
12-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi
Hey Rage,

Would you say the GLA can fit a rear facing car seat easily?
Yup. That's the main reason why I got the GLA. I can even sit in the front without smashing my knees.

I'll get some pics if I get the chance.

Redlyne_mr2
12-29-2015, 09:42 PM
You could close your eyes and it would be tough to tell if you're driving a C class, an a4 or a Lexus IS, it's a pretty generic feeling car. The GLA amg is so much fun!

s2k_boi
12-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Yup. That's the main reason why I got the GLA. I can even sit in the front without smashing my knees.

I'll get some pics if I get the chance.

Good to know! haha. Got one on the way and planning for a possibility of a second. No hurry for the picture. Plus I remember you being a bit taller than me....

rage2
12-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
You could close your eyes and it would be tough to tell if you're driving a C class, an a4 or a Lexus IS, it's a pretty generic feeling car. The GLA amg is so much fun!
The C450 is actually a lot better than the C400. Aside from the soft ride, it feels fairly AMG like in handling traits.

Originally posted by s2k_boi
Good to know! haha. Got one on the way and planning for a possibility of a second. No hurry for the picture. Plus I remember you being a bit taller than me....
I've got 3 kids in the back of mine, one rear facing, one fwd facing, and the 3rd sandwiched in the middle. You'll be fine haha.

cycosis
12-30-2015, 12:58 PM
That dark ash open pore wood trim is so nice in the C... I have sat in the GLA, not the C yet cause I hated it when it initially came out but it has grown on me.

What infant seats do you have in the back of the gla rage?

rage2
12-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Peg Perego Primo Viaggio for rear facing, Britax Marathon for forward facing.

cycosis
12-30-2015, 02:48 PM
And you can fit a third kid in between those?

rage2
12-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Yup. Slightly tight (the B has an extra 1.5 inches of width which is nicer), but it'll get better once we convert the front facing to a booster which will really open up lateral space. We've done trips to Edmonton like that with no complaints, other than the kids wanting to beat each other up haha.

cycosis
12-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Oh good god I have so much to look forward to. Thats awesome to know. Tilt towards the GLA. Did you keep the goofy wing on the back or delete it? Wondering how itll work with my Thule rack.

rage2
12-30-2015, 03:55 PM
I love the wing. Works great with the oem rails and cargo box.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/53ffdf18aeec55b0a7138edf95e3ed56_zpstrywdhak.jpg

cycosis
12-30-2015, 04:56 PM
These posts are beyond helpful. No pun intended

rage2
12-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Some pics as to how things fit in the GLA45. The drivers side is setup for my comfortable driving position, while the passenger side is setup as far back as possible to allow the rear facing seat to fit. Also showing my legroom in the front. I'm 6'2".

Front facing seat + legroom:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/933B5C82-EAF9-4CFC-BDF0-93B36578E197_zps4w6b6jwl.jpg

Rear facing seat:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/FCC4A2FF-8662-4258-837A-258634B2388F_zpsy2ecsnpj.jpg

Middle seat room:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/A39808CF-A5FC-4845-939E-5FFF9124C071_zpsdbl5c9mz.jpg

Driver's seat legroom:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/5800BA31-19CB-4945-A235-590BF545A6C2_zpsosy0p6ur.jpg

Passenger's seat legroom:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/FD94C248-5774-448F-802F-339A969029B1_zpslqn6ialx.jpg

I'm not sure if the standard non Recaro seats are thicker or not, so it might be different in how much room you have. The middle seat there is really only good for pre-puberty child in this configuration. I've tried sitting in there, and it hurts haha.

speedog
12-31-2015, 04:09 PM
Infant/child/booster seats, good for you guys. A fading, distant memory for me as are the days of a stuffed vehicle.

Neil4Speed
12-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Infant/child/booster seats, good for you guys. A fading, distant memory for me as are the days of a stuffed vehicle.

A very real foreshadowing for me... :( I mean... :) ... I :dunno:

On topic, excellent practically from the GLA, I think the interior fit and finish/quality would really kill me though, is it better in the AMG models than the regular ones?

rage2
12-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
On topic, excellent practically from the GLA, I think the interior fit and finish/quality would really kill me though, is it better in the AMG models than the regular ones?
It is not. It's still an entry level MB, based off a $25k car platform. I mean, the AMG appointments sure make it nicer, but sit in a C class (even the old one) and the difference in level of quality is apparent.

The biggest issue with the "quality" is how much they skimped on moldings around the doors. If you order a car that's not black, you can see the paint in the door frames with the doors closed, which looks really cheap. Also with the lack of moldings, and this is something I just noticed with our cold spell, in -20C weather you can feel the cold around every door driving over 60km/h.

With that being said, I love the car. It's a great mix of versatile, practical, and fun. I'm probably going to go for another one once the lease is over, but I probably won't go as hardcore on the options (this one was optioned up to 74k).

s2k_boi
01-01-2016, 11:56 PM

It is not. It's still an entry level MB, based off a $25k car platform. I mean, the AMG appointments sure make it nicer, but sit in a C class (even the old one) and the difference in level of quality is apparent.

The biggest issue with the "quality" is how much they skimped on moldings around the doors. If you order a car that's not black, you can see the paint in the door frames with the doors closed, which looks really cheap. Also with the lack of moldings, and this is something I just noticed with our cold spell, in -20C weather you can feel the cold around every door driving over 60km/h.

With that being said, I love the car. It's a great mix of versatile, practical, and fun. I'm probably going to go for another one once the lease is over, but I probably won't go as hardcore on the options (this one was optioned up to 74k).

When's your lease up? Might just buy yours haha

dropdat
01-02-2016, 01:06 AM

A very real foreshadowing for me... :( I mean... :) ... I :dunno:

Why would it kill you? You bought a tl and even the cheapest merc is leaps and bounds ahead of nearly everything in the acura lineup.

My wife was just in the market for a new car and I figured because of the excellent deal they were offering on the tlx I would just get her one of those. I didn't even get as far as driving one because the interior was so cheap I turned right around and went back to looking at Germans.

rage2
01-02-2016, 01:31 AM
An interesting note about fit and finish, after owning pretty much every German brand except for Audi, I never truly understood how good fit and finish was until I got the RC-F. It may not have the nicest interior, but the level of detail in materials is well ahead of the Germans. What the German manufactures are good at is making cheap materials look really damn good.

Neil4Speed
01-02-2016, 09:50 AM

This was one of the first things I noticed when I looked at the CLA, I could put a finger between the molding and touch the bare metal on the other end. That wouldn't be acceptable even in the cheapest kia.

Otherwise though, it really does seem like a really enjoyable and practical ride.

Originally posted by dropdat

Why would it kill you? You bought a tl and even the cheapest merc is leaps and bounds ahead of nearly everything in the acura lineup.

My wife was just in the market for a new car and I figured because of the excellent deal they were offering on the tlx I would just get her one of those. I didn't even get as far as driving one because the interior was so cheap I turned right around and went back to looking at Germans.

I don't think that the quality of material in the TLX is anything amazing to write home about (although reviews consistently speak highly of it), but if you think that the CLA/GLA build is better than the TLX you need to give your head a shake and re-evaluate.

rage2
01-02-2016, 11:22 AM
This was one of the first things I noticed when I looked at the CLA, I could put a finger between the molding and touch the bare metal on the other end. That wouldn't be acceptable even in the cheapest kia.
You don't need a finger. There is no molding period. The whole painted metal around the window is exposed lol. Good thing I like black cars, because it hides that quite nicely. In the gf's B (which is white) the painted metal is just staring you right in the face.

Xtrema
01-03-2016, 12:43 PM
An interesting note about fit and finish, after owning pretty much every German brand except for Audi, I never truly understood how good fit and finish was until I got the RC-F. It may not have the nicest interior, but the level of detail in materials is well ahead of the Germans. What the German manufactures are good at is making cheap materials look really damn good.

Lexus stepped up the game with new IS and RC. Sit in the previous gen and Audi is better.

I never find BMW and Mercedes interior ever that good until Merc step it up with new C and way pass Audi now. Some say B9 A4 is delayed due to the new C interior. Germans are just good at throwing industrial design to hide the cheap material.

rage2
01-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Nah, B9 A4 is released, finalized and unveiled (in Frankfurt). It's following the normal delivery schedule to get into customer hands. If there are any delays, it's all because of emissions testing which is delaying everyone (including the 2016 GLA45's). Thanks VAG! haha

blownz
01-04-2016, 11:24 AM

Rear facing seat:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/FCC4A2FF-8662-4258-837A-258634B2388F_zpsy2ecsnpj.jpg

Since you aren't supposed to drive with the handle up like that (at least you weren't supposed to with the Peg Perego model I had years ago), how do you put it down? Looks like the passenger seat would have to move all the way forward every time you got in or out of the car (suv...). Seems like a pain.

I don't miss rear facing seats at all. I have two booster seats now and it is great. :thumbsup:

rage2
01-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by blownz
Since you aren't supposed to drive with the handle up like that (at least you weren't supposed to with the Peg Perego model I had years ago), how do you put it down? Looks like the passenger seat would have to move all the way forward every time you got in or out of the car (suv...). Seems like a pain.
The handle can flip all the way to the top no problems. The front passenger seat is adjusted, saved to memory for that exact position to allow that.

In the pic, it might look like the top of the seat is touching the back of the passenger seat, but that's actually the canopy. There's a decent gap between the 2 seat backs.

That passenger seat pretty much never moves, except when we go out for lunch with our 6'9" co-worker.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the day when it's just boosters only. Size wise, I can covert our 2 y/o to a booster, but mentally, he isn't ready haha.

shakalaka
05-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Rage; what's the difference in the 2016 GLA 45's vs earlier ones? Not saying I am going to get one but I have been interested with them right from the beginning and see a few 2015's going for sale. But wondering if better to go with the newer ones or what.

rage2
05-13-2016, 02:17 PM
+20hp
gearbox features closer gearing
0.3s faster 0-60 + 1/4 mile
NTG 5 Infotainment
Interior lighting can change colors
AMG suspension is now magnetic shocks vs stiffer springs from 2015
Limited slip differential
front flicks (was only available on edition 1's)

Fuck the list is huge, that's just top of my head. There are a few other things I'm missing.

The problem with shopping for 2015's are that very few of them have keyless go. They weren't available until the May 2015 builds. That was a must have option for me.

shakalaka
05-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Well if I go down this route then I know to look for 2016 plus ones for sure. Seems like the improvements are quite significant over the older versions.

rage2
05-13-2016, 04:04 PM
You're also not going to see many used 2016's on the market. They were delayed (presumably from recertification issues thanks to Dieselgate) and customers didn't get them until February/March 2016.

If anything, lots of people cancelled their orders because of the 5 month delay, so there are 2016's sitting on the lot where you'll see some incentives to clear those out if they're still unsold by August or September.

s2k_boi
05-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Instead of creating a new thread.

Was looking for opinions. Would you pick up a 2016 C450 or wait for the 2017's when they pretty much rebadge it to a C43? Doesn't appear to be any major changes besides it going to a 9 speed transmission from a 7 speed.....

But there are limited C450's to choose from and most has more packaging then what I would want.

T-Dubbs
05-15-2016, 09:33 AM
C43 has a price bump I believe from the C450.
I really like how the C450 drives. Ours lacks options, but still alot of fun to drive.

rage2
05-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
I really like how the C450 drives. Ours lacks options, but still alot of fun to drive.
Do we know that there's a price bump? There was a bump from 400 to 450 but there were significant changes there.

s2k_boi
05-15-2016, 10:35 AM

Not sure about the price bump. Was told that it should be the same unless we have a big swing in currency between now and price release.

rage2
05-15-2016, 12:39 PM
We already had our currency swing. Mercedes is still 1:1 to US prices in most cases which makes them a steal right now.

T-Dubbs
05-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Do we know that there's a price bump? There was a bump from 400 to 450 but there were significant changes there.
I asked the sales guy before taking delivery if the 450, about the c43. He said there would be a few minor differences including price.

dj_rice
05-17-2016, 05:00 PM

I asked the sales guy before taking delivery if the 450, about the c43. He said there would be a few minor differences including price.

Tej.S
07-04-2016, 11:28 PM
We already had our currency swing. Mercedes is still 1:1 to US prices in most cases which makes them a steal right now.

Do you think this will still apply when the c43's roll out this fall? I know a few members on the MBWorld forums who have already placed orders for their c43's. Lots of people are saying that the base model (coupe) will carry an MSRP of $55k. That price is based off of a dealer ordering guide. Only thing is, they haven't released any pricing for the options yet.

I really hope they release full pricing soon, I've got my eye on the coupe :drool:

rage2
07-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Those members on Mbworld are dreaming (and idiots). The base C300 Coupe pricing is already out, but if they think the base C43 comes in at $55k, just take a look at current sedan vs coupe pricing.

C300 Sedan - $43,800
C450 Sedan - $55,900

C300 Coupe - $48,100

Do you really think the C43 will come in lower than the C450 Sedan? Maybe in the US, haven't looked at prices there.

edit - they probably extrapolated based on US prices:

C300 Sedan - $38,950
C450 Sedan - $50,800
C300 Coupe - $42,650

42650 / 38950 * 50800 = 55625.67

riander5
07-05-2016, 08:28 AM
So the question is rage, can we swap out to bigger turbos e43 or e550 style like we discussed earlier in the thread, tune, and keep warranty

If so ill head to an MB dealership today to get mine on order ;)

rage2
07-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by riander5
So the question is rage, can we swap out to bigger turbos e43 or e550 style like we discussed earlier in the thread, tune, and keep warranty

If so ill head to an MB dealership today to get mine on order ;)
You're getting ahead of yourself. The c43 and e43 aren't even out yet, and nobody has offered a turbo upgrade for the C450 yet.

rage2
07-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Another tidbit I want to add for those looking for a GLA45, I drove the 2016 model, and it's lightyears ahead of the 2015's. I'm going to replace my GLA45 as early as MB Canada allows me to without penalty (somewhere between 2-3 years).

So from a driving experience, this is what's better:

- Infotainment is updated to NTG5+ so it charges phones faster, carplay is awesome for iPhone users, backup camera is wider angle, and the interface/bigger screen is nicer.

- You can feel the 20hp difference. Might even feel more like 30hp due to the shorter gearing.

- Start up throttle lag from a stop is 1/2 gone. It responds much better now, guessing due to shorter gearing. No more making "am I gonna die" left hand turns.

- Manual mode shifts are faster from click of paddle to actual shift. There was a very minimal delay on the 2015's on every shift, with bigger delays in bizarre situations (floor it through 3rd, let off, shift to 4th delays for 1s, quick downshifts delay a bit etc). With the 2016, the delays are all gone. It's instant in every situation I threw at it.

- Suspension rides softer. The e-shocks does a good job of compromising comfort vs handling.

- Car I drove had no LSD, so dunno how well that helps, even though the car doesn't really understeer much as is anyways. Might help put the power down out of corners in 1st or something silly.

riander5
07-05-2016, 09:36 AM

You're getting ahead of yourself. The c43 and e43 aren't even out yet, and nobody has offered a turbo upgrade for the C450 yet.

No - you are getting ahead of me, and getting me excited for upgrades that might not even exist!! :rofl:

I was referring to this post made back in the c43 thread that gave me hard on hoping we could get c43 coupes to be 500hp awd year round beaters!! Anyways i just hope this comes to fruition haha

Pulled from said thread -

E43 was released recently. Presser here:

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-...S=1457712964419

This is an interesting part:

The V6 biturbo engine boasts a high power output combined with low fuel consumption and emissions. The high power output of 295 kW (401 hp) is attributable, among other things, to new, larger turbochargers and the higher charge-air pressure of 1.1 bar. Installed close to the engine, the two turbochargers are especially spontaneous in their response.

Since nobody made a turbo upgrade for this engine, Mercedes-AMG has stepped up and made a nice OEM replacement for everyone.

Wouldn't be surprised if the E43 gets tuned to 500+hp with the new turbos (the outgoing 400hp E550 V8 TT were ECU tuned to about 530hp).

C43 with turbo upgrades and tune, AWD... could be a damn nice Calgary DD.

rage2
07-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Oh I know what I said haha. Just saying I can't answer your question till it's out. I'm purely speculating.

riander5
07-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Oh I know what I said haha. Just saying I can't answer your question till it's out. I'm purely speculating.

10-4

heres hoping

Tej.S
07-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info rage. I figured those numbers seemed a little too good to be true lol. Just gotta play the waiting game now.

hurrdurr
07-05-2016, 10:48 AM
C43 going to be Coupe only?

rage2
07-05-2016, 10:57 AM
No, it'll be coupe and sedan. I'm hoping it comes out in wagon form for Canada ...

hurrdurr
07-05-2016, 11:07 AM
For the life of me I can't find any information on the Sedan.

I'm thinking of getting into something like this or even a C450 in a year or two down the road.

More practical for a daily.

Rage is the 360 Camera an option on the GLA? If so, how well does it work and do you like it.

rage2
07-05-2016, 01:41 PM
360 camera isn't available at all for the B/CLA/GLA class cars. For the cars that have them as options, it's been a struggle ordering from what I'm told, lack of parts inventory.

benyl
07-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Mine works good.

This looks interesting.

http://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/629735-360-degree-camera-controller.html

Tej.S
07-05-2016, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
For the life of me I can't find any information on the Sedan.

I'm thinking of getting into something like this or even a C450 in a year or two down the road.

That's because there hasn't been any information released about the sedan.

hurrdurr
07-06-2016, 09:56 AM
360 camera isn't available at all for the B/CLA/GLA class cars. For the cars that have them as options, it's been a struggle ordering from what I'm told, lack of parts inventory.

Good to know.. Thanks!

Originally posted by benyl
Mine works good.

This looks interesting.

http://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/629735-360-degree-camera-controller.html

That really amps up the functionality.

Originally posted by Tej.S

That's because there hasn't been any information released about the sedan.

That would make a lot of sense!

Xtrema
07-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
That would make a lot of sense!

so far only ordering guide is out. Nobody knows at what price.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/629823-canadian-c43-order.html

And from this thread, seems like the advisor that put it together doesn't really know either what's really available to order.

We are on par for C43 sedan info to drop. Order guides showed up in June 2015 for C450 and pricing showed up around Aug.

rage2
07-06-2016, 10:53 AM
The order guides published by MB Canada to the dealers is often full of mistakes, which can only be confirmed when trying to put the order through. Then all the wacky rules for what options needs to be tied to which packages (and vice versa) comes into play, and the system will reject the order if it doesn't meet the rules. Even worse, the rules keep changing without notice, so even an order that's gone through without a VIN could all of a sudden change if they change the rules on options + pre requisites, or if there's a shortage of parts (most common pano roofs, 360 degree cameras, LED lights) where the order won't go through without revision due to lack of parts. If you're not OK with the order, someone else will just take that build slot and you get bumped down.

It's a bit of a gong show, and the sales managers juggle through the mess of requirements from Germany to figure out what they are, so I don't fault the dealers or MB Canada.