PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you think you have a drug dealer in your hood?

rinny
12-29-2015, 09:02 PM
This has been going on for sometime now -there's a spot up the street from me where there are no houses on either side of the street as there's an elementary school field on one side and a community hall field on the other.

Once in a while, and I mean frequently enough to notice it considering I only pass that area when I go in and out of the neighbourhood, there are random cars that park there with people inside that look shady.

The other day I thought to myself, like I always do when I see a vehicle there with people in it "why are there are always random vehicles parked there?" And the only thing I can think of is that they're waiting for their dealer.

Now what really backs up my theory is that there are shoes tied together and strung up in a tree, right next to where the people park. The old hood tales say that shoes hanging on power wires or tree mean that its a drug dealer / spot to meet at.

I really wanted to just park and wait to see who came to the car, but I'm not that nosey... Yet. And I didn't really want my vehicle on target list in case anything happened.

Could be a simple weed dealer, could be something more. The big question here is - WWJD???

Black Gts
12-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Mind you own fucking business rat..

Jk can report suspicious activity to police but if it's that obvious they probably already have heard of it

ExtraSlow
12-29-2015, 09:15 PM
If this was me, and there had been zero impact on my life other than seeing shady fuckers parked there, I don't think I'd do anything other than keep an eye out.
I guess you could call the non-emergency police line and see if they are interested. That wouldn't hurt, I just probably wouldn't bother.

adam c
12-29-2015, 09:16 PM
According to Drugs Inc. shoes on telephone line (tree) means the drug house is open, depending on the color, white for example, means they are selling coke

LadyLuck
12-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If this was me, and there had been zero impact on my life other than seeing shady fuckers parked there, I don't think I'd do anything other than keep an eye out.

uhhhh ok, considering the gang war in Calgary right now, the drugs and weapons involved and all of shootings/homicides that have happened this year alone...you're right, a drug dealer in your neighbourhood will have zero impact on your life if there is ever a turf war or god knows what else in your neighborhoods.

OP, contact crime stoppers and report it that way, also a good way to stay anonymous if that worries you.

Redlyne_mr2
12-29-2015, 09:45 PM
haha I didn't know that about the shoe thing. I live in a fairly new neighbourhood and for some reason there is an electrical line that runs between 2 light poles in front of my house only on the entire street. The city never responded to my complaints so I've thrown a pair of converse up there to make it my own personal "ghetto line".

gwill
12-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Why not fuck with the druggies? Put a few signs out warning of busts... It will clear out the drug dealers. Maybe leave one saying the plates are getting reported to police... Being that the complaints beside a school I'm sure there police will pay attention to any complaint lodged

NoPulp
12-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Support local business.

I don't see much you can do? You have zero solid evidence and I wouldn't recommend getting involved. Best you could do is file a complaint and hope an officer gets lucky.

FixedGear
12-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Shoes on a wire isn't a signal for where to buy drugs, that was just in drugs Inc. for dramatic effect.

HiTempguy1
12-29-2015, 11:15 PM
I usually just pull right up and motion them to roll down the window.

"Hey guys, whats going on, you lost? Or just hanging out here? If you need assistance, I'd be more than happy to call the police for you"

Works everytime. Some people are way too afraid of some sort of "retaliation" that just isn't a thing. Drug dealers deal drugs, they aren't going to mess with regular people (IMO).

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
12-30-2015, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

"Hey guys, whats going on, you lost? Or just hanging out here? If you need assistance, I'd be more than happy to call the police for you"

Works everytime. Some people are way too afraid of some sort of "retaliation" that just isn't a thing. Drug dealers deal drugs, they aren't going to mess with regular people (IMO).

You do this... to people you suspect are drug dealers?

Gonna have to submit this to r/thathappened

Kloubek
12-30-2015, 09:32 AM
If you feel a vehicle is suspicious, you are totally open and free to report it to police. If they have nothing better to do, they'll swing by.

While weed dealers usually don't attract anyone TOO shady, heavier drugs or gang war potential certainly would want me keeping such activity out of my own community.

HiTempguy1
12-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN

You do this... to people you suspect are drug dealers?

Gonna have to submit this to r/thathappened

The reason they are in your neighbourhood to begin with is because nobody has the guts to stand up to them. If they believe they can operate with impunity, they will :dunno: As mentioned, its pretty low on the cops list of things to take care of.

Please, by all means show me how many people not associated with the drug trade have been victimized in the past decade in Calgary? You can even include accidentally/bystander into that.

I am guessing the answer is extremely few. But continue to be afraid of these people while the odds of having you car written off and/or you dieing in a car crash is astronomically higher :rofl: Man, some peoples perception of risk is f%&ked

NewLextasy
12-30-2015, 10:09 AM

NewLextasy
12-30-2015, 10:12 AM

BavarianBeast
12-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Here's a little rant/story..

When I was 15-16 we had a lawyer move in next door who was a pretty shady character. He was very strange and kept to himself for the first year. After about 13 months he had very sketchy looking people coming in and out of his house quite consistently. We initially didn't think anything of it and just thought okay sure, a lawyer dealing with sketchy people.. Sounds about right. Anyways, these visits became more and more frequent and started to occur during all hours of the day and night.

On several occasions, when the neighbor would have visitors they would blatantly carry cash in hand into the house and walk out with a bag/hands in shirt/pocket not more than 10 minutes later. It got to the point where up to 25+ sketchy people were pulling up on the driveway, going into the house and leaving per day. It was very obvious what was going on. The cul-de-sac began to stink like chemicals at times, and more than a few neighbors had noticed this. We tipped the police off on several occasions, and they could not of cared less. We found ourselves, among neighbors phoning the police at least once every couple of months for at least a year. The lawyer finally overdosed and an ambulance showed up, followed by a massive raid of police approximately 10-15 minutes after the ambulance arrived. After a while the police began coming out of the house with tons of lab equipment in garbage bags, other chemicals covered in plastic and it was very clear the guy had a fucking meth lab in his house.

It's pretty frustrating that it had to take an incident like that to get the guy off our block. The whole neighborhood knew the guy was running a meth lab, yet nothing could of been done when you phoned the police and tipped them. It's hard for me to believe that what the neighborhood saw does not constitute as sufficient evidence to raid the guy..

BensonTT
12-30-2015, 10:28 AM
OP, go over and ask how much an 8 ball is :)

l/l/rX
12-30-2015, 10:38 AM

The reason they are in your neighbourhood to begin with is because nobody has the guts to stand up to them. If they believe they can operate with impunity, they will :dunno: As mentioned, its pretty low on the cops list of things to take care of.

Please, by all means show me how many people not associated with the drug trade have been victimized in the past decade in Calgary? You can even include accidentally/bystander into that.

I am guessing the answer is extremely few. But continue to be afraid of these people while the odds of having you car written off and/or you dieing in a car crash is astronomically higher :rofl: Man, some peoples perception of risk is f%&ked

Because no civvy was stupid enough to step into their business maybe? When I look back at my generation, i thought they were crazy, I look at todays generation, i think they definitely have us beat.
We had knives, batons, matchetes (mostly), every kid now a day has a gun and they dont care to use it. lol I avoid clubs for this reason, cause they don't care who you are, how old you are, what crew you use to roll with. That's how I see things today.
Best to stay out of their business, call crime stoppers, report suspicious activity and license plates, let them do the rest. We have too much to live for, why put yourself at risk?

phil98z24
12-30-2015, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

When I was 15-16 we had a lawyer move in next door who was a pretty shady character. He was very strange and kept to himself for the first year. After about 13 months he had very sketchy looking people coming in and out of his house quite consistently. We initially didn't think anything of it and just thought okay sure, a lawyer dealing with sketchy people.. Sounds about right. Anyways, these visits became more and more frequent and started to occur during all hours of the day and night.

On several occasions, when the neighbor would have visitors they would blatantly carry cash in hand into the house and walk out with a bag/hands in shirt/pocket not more than 10 minutes later. It got to the point where up to 25+ sketchy people were pulling up on the driveway, going into the house and leaving per day. It was very obvious what was going on. The cul-de-sac began to stink like chemicals at times, and more than a few neighbors had noticed this. We tipped the police off on several occasions, and they could not of cared less. We found ourselves, among neighbors phoning the police at least once every couple of months for at least a year. The lawyer finally overdosed and an ambulance showed up, followed by a massive raid of police approximately 10-15 minutes after the ambulance arrived. After a while the police began coming out of the house with tons of lab equipment in garbage bags, other chemicals covered in plastic and it was very clear the guy had a fucking meth lab in his house.

It's pretty frustrating that it had to take an incident like that to get the guy off our block. The whole neighborhood knew the guy was running a meth lab, yet nothing could of been done when you phoned the police and tipped them. It's hard for me to believe that what the neighborhood saw does not constitute as sufficient evidence to raid the guy..

People have rights in this country, so no, what you and your neighbors experienced does not constitute sufficient evidence to enter a person's house.

Just because we can't or aren't doing anything doesn't mean it isn't happening; we have rules to abide by and they take precedence over all else. The evidence to obtain a search warrant needs to be collected over a long time, and sometimes you just can't get it.

Instead of being pissed about it, be happy we live in a country where we can't just barge into your house on hearsay evidence and "we all know what's going on here" grounds.

Anyways - OP, call the police. Contrary to popular belief, this is very high priority and we go to these calls ASAP.

gwill
12-30-2015, 02:54 PM

Are you for real? There's always stories about drug dealers targeting the wrong houses or home invasions hitting the wrong place looking for drugs. How about the druggies who rob and steal to support their habits? Who do you think they target? How about the junky robbing their families.

I can go on and on with examples of non drug users getting taken advantage of or victimized by those in the drug trade.

lilmira
12-30-2015, 03:02 PM
You throw a pizza on the roof.

M.alex
12-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

My story is similar - when living in the city the house across the street from us went up for sale; bunch of really sketchy people quickly moved in and for the next year or so just a constant swarm of sketchy people coming & going with clear signs of it being a grow op. Literally every single person on the street called the police about it and they did dick all.

One night the tennents just up and disappeared and as it turned out it was a grow op and the entire house had to be gutted.

khanan
12-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
You throw a pizza on the roof.

YES, I was waiting for this lol.

civic_stylez
12-31-2015, 09:01 AM
Report it. It may not seem like the police care but there are special divisions that watch for this and it can be a small piece of a bigger puzzle. Apart from becoming a Liam Neeson type vigilante (which is awesome btw) notifying the police will be your first step.

CompletelyNumb
12-31-2015, 10:19 AM
If you and the neighbors "know" it's a drug house, call 911 and report a fire. Cops will get there sooner than anything else.:dunno:

sabad66
12-31-2015, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
If you and the neighbors "know" it's a drug house, call 911 and report a fire. Cops will get there sooner than anything else.:dunno:
Dick move, just in case they are innocent

OP, just report it to the non emergency police number. Let the cops do their job

Asian_defender
12-31-2015, 10:39 AM

This is a asshole move. How would you know if they were a drug dealer unless you were buying from them? It would just be speculation.
I'm the guy on my block that comes and goes at weird hours, keeps to myself and has random cars coming in and out.

It was people like you that thought I was a drug dealer instead of a kid that worked shift work and therefore had friends coming over at weird hours :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

blairtruck
12-31-2015, 10:49 AM

i suggest just lightning the house on fire then. obviously you know whats going on and that would get rid of the problem.

I sell tons of kids stuff daily on Kijiji. Random cars showing up all the time and people coming to my door 5 or 6 times a day sometimes.
inside for 2 minutes then leave with a bag or box.
I must be a drug dealer.

ercchry
12-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Asian_defender

This is a asshole move. How would you know if they were a drug dealer unless you were buying from them? It would just be speculation.
I'm the guy on my block that comes and goes at weird hours, keeps to myself and has random cars coming in and out.

It was people like you that thought I was a drug dealer instead of a kid that worked shift work and therefore had friends coming over at weird hours :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Did SWAT disrespect your whole family? :rofl:

sexualbanana
12-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck

i suggest just lightning the house on fire then. obviously you know whats going on and that would get rid of the problem.

Yes. Because fire and a potential meth lab go so well together.

Darell_n
12-31-2015, 11:55 AM
You need to take some muscle and go collect your tax for them operating on your turf. No respect these days. Maybe do a couple of drive by shootings on the house to let them know you mean business.

D'z Nutz
12-31-2015, 12:10 PM
I'd introduce myself with my Beyond username and ask him what his is.

Asian_defender
12-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Did SWAT disrespect your whole family? :rofl:

Swat came to my house, disrespected my whole family because someone NARC me out and you know what, IT WAS YOU OR CompletelyNumb!!

btimbit
12-31-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

If Sons of Anarchy has taught me anything, that's the only way to keep that crap out of your town.

btimbit
12-31-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

If Sons of Anarchy has taught me anything, that's the only way to keep that crap out of your town.

Dave P
12-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Op sounds like he is just concerned about competition on his block.

schurchill39
12-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Maybe its one of those crazy craiglist gay for pay hookup spots. If you're lucky OP you could get a quick gummer before going back to the missus.

revelations
12-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by rinny
This has been going on for sometime now -there's a spot up the street from me where there are no houses on either side of the street as there's an elementary school field on one side and a community hall field on the other.

Once in a while, and I mean frequently enough to notice it considering I only pass that area when I go in and out of the neighbourhood, there are random cars that park there with people inside that look shady.

The other day I thought to myself, like I always do when I see a vehicle there with people in it "why are there are always random vehicles parked there?" And the only thing I can think of is that they're waiting for their dealer.

Now what really backs up my theory is that there are shoes tied together and strung up in a tree, right next to where the people park. The old hood tales say that shoes hanging on power wires or tree mean that its a drug dealer / spot to meet at.

I really wanted to just park and wait to see who came to the car, but I'm not that nosey... Yet. And I didn't really want my vehicle on target list in case anything happened.

Could be a simple weed dealer, could be something more. The big question here is - WWJD???

On a quiet day (ie not Friday night or ANYTIME on the weekend) call the CPS non emerg line and report a recurring suspicious vehicle and suspicious looking characters inside.

**IF** the calls are not stacked too deep, the CPS will show up in about 1/2 hr and conduct a routine vehicle inspection (assuming they are still there). They will ask occupants questions.

The vehicle has a right to be there, but frequent visits from the CPS (initiated by complainants) will cause them to go elsewhere.

If the occupants are stupid enough to have their stash in plain sight, they will be rolled off in the back ot the PC.

revelations
12-31-2015, 03:50 PM

100% dumb idea......please explain why the CPS will respond to a routine house fire call. Also, the occupants will answer the door to the fire guys and say THERE IS NO FIRE and that is the end of it.

IF you have a house that is full of OBVIOUS crackheads/dealers coming and going 24/7 (for months on end and youve had no resolve from the CPS through ordinary complaint process measures) ..... call 911 from a payphone (or another public location) and report (anonymously) a domestic assault in progress (eg. man beating up woman) and the cavalry WILL arrive in full force and clear the place out.

The Police in Canada have a lawful right to forcibly enter a residence without warrants ONLY if they suspect someone is danger. This also applies to hang-up 911 calls from a home phone.

speedog
12-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Maybe its one of those crazy craiglist gay for pay hookup spots. If you're lucky OP you could get a quick gummer before going back to the missus.
Man, I don't know if I'd want a gummer. Ugh, would you mind waiting while I take my false teeth out - I suppose whatever floats your boat, schurchill39. :)

FixedGear
12-31-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by revelations

IF you have a house that is full of OBVIOUS crackheads/dealers coming and going 24/7 (for months on end and youve had no resolve from the CPS through ordinary complaint process measures) ..... call 911 from a payphone (or another public location) and report (anonymously) a domestic assault in progress (eg. man beating up woman) and the cavalry WILL arrive in full force.

The Police in Canada have a lawful right to forcibly enter a residence without warrants ONLY if they suspect someone is danger. This also applies to hang-up 911 calls from a home phone.

Its illegal to report a crime that isn't really happening.

If it's a drug house, report it as such, don't call in fake crimes. The police service prioritizes calls for a reason, and if you call in a fake crime it can take resources from other issues that may need it more.

codetrap
12-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Asian_defender
12-31-2015, 05:36 PM
What happened to the days when people would just mind their own business? When I first moved into my home I had this problem. Nosy neighbors that thought I was a drug dealer because I was a young kid that came in and out at weird hours. I never had any complaints on noise or lack of snow removal etc. My next door neighbor was telling me how the rest of the block thought I was sketchy because I kept to myself. Sorry if I work two jobs and don't have time to socialize.

I had the guy 2 doors down come up while I was shoveling my walkway and point blank ask me what I did for a living because of my hours. It was obvious what his intentions were so I simply said "none of your business. I keep my sidewalk clean and don't cause you any trouble so what's it to you?" Some people just don't care enough be ned flanders. It doesn't help if you come off as nosy either

sorry codetrap its not directed towards you. Just putting in my two cents
/rant

revelations
12-31-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

Its illegal to report a crime that isn't really happening.

If it's a drug house, report it as such, don't call in fake crimes. The police service prioritizes calls for a reason, and if you call in a fake crime it can take resources from other issues that may need it more.

Its also illegal to speed, talk on the phone while driving and to have noisy parties after 10pm at night. No, as mentioned this is not to be used lightly; as stated, for the last-hope effort only after regular attempts at resolution have failed. Again, this has to be done 100% anonymously as there can be repercussions.

I can tell you, that as a former LEO, there were times I wished we had legal access to walk inside a crack/drug/flop house to witness the evidence for ourselves and to clear the place out completely.

Unless we saw evidence of crime being committed from the outside, we were not allowed to enter until someone called in a 911 for something that allowed us to enter.

Type_S1
12-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Fixed that for you.

My thoughts on this, I live in the neighborhood. My kids are here. If someone is acting sketchy, I'm going to get nosy. I'm going to start talking to you, going out of my way to talk to you. If that doesn't work, I'll point blank ask you about all the weird behaviors. If you enforce your privacy and refuse to be social, then I'm going to assume that yes, you are up to no good, because I live here too.

On the other hand, if you were social, shared what you were doing, and were just generally friendly? I'd probably offer to help if you wanted it. Have a guy coming and you're not home? Sure, leave it with me and I'll conduct the transaction for you.

That's what good neighbors do.

People who live around you don't owe you anything...give people some privacy. If you are this concerned you should move to a nicer neighborhood. Don't see many reports of drug houses or shootings in Aspen.

blairtruck
12-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Fixed that for you.

My thoughts on this, I live in the neighborhood. My kids are here. If someone is acting sketchy, I'm going to get nosy. I'm going to start talking to you, going out of my way to talk to you. If that doesn't work, I'll point blank ask you about all the weird behaviors. If you enforce your privacy and refuse to be social, then I'm going to assume that yes, you are up to no good, because I live here too.

On the other hand, if you were social, shared what you were doing, and were just generally friendly? I'd probably offer to help if you wanted it. Have a guy coming and you're not home? Sure, leave it with me and I'll conduct the transaction for you.

That's what good neighbors do.
so i should knock on my neighbors doors if selling stuff on Kijiji. Ok, how about a flyer in everyone mailbox that says im not a drug dealer and dont worry about all the cars.

if they asked why all the people i would tell them whats up. im not hiding anything.

Asian_defender
12-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Its also illegal to speed, talk on the phone while driving and to have noisy parties after 10pm at night. No, as mentioned this is not to be used lightly; as stated, for the last-hope effort only after regular attempts at resolution have failed. Again, this has to be done 100% anonymously as there can be repercussions.

I can tell you, that as a former LEO, there were times I wished we had legal access to walk inside a crack/drug/flop house to witness the evidence for ourselves and to clear the place out completely.

Unless we saw evidence of crime being committed from the outside, we were not allowed to enter until someone called in a 911 for something that allowed us to enter.

I understand where you're coming from but a couple of things...
-If it turns out to be a guy dealing dime bangs of pot, is it really worth your time?
-What about our privacy? I can certainly imagine hundreds of these calls and police forcefully entering homes just to make an ass of themselves. There's already a negative stigma responding to a domestic abuse call. The calvary comes in, and buddy decides to act like a tough guy because he knows he's done nothing wrong so he exercises his legal rights and tells them to pound sand. They force their way in and injured the guy. A video gets taken and now you have a social media explosion because some douche decided to take the law into this own hands. Meanwhile the poor officers get chastised because let's face it, people are much quicker to criticize then to complement.

If you are taking it to this extreme without any hard evidence then what makes you think your any better than a gangster/drug dealer? We are suppose to live in a society where your innocent until proven guilty. Youre already convicting based on speculation. In my opinion your worse than a gangster

codetrap
12-31-2015, 11:01 PM

Mista Bob
12-31-2015, 11:27 PM
Some people just want to be left alone, not communicating with neighbours doesn't = they are up to no good nor does it make them a bad neighbour.

I bet the vast majority of the time, all the "sketchy people" in cars are just regular folks going about their day. Without knowing exactly what is going on in their day, a lot of things might seem weird.

JRSC00LUDE
12-31-2015, 11:31 PM
Fixed that for you.

That's what nosy neighbors do.

I don't appreciate people who behave that way toward me, not minding their own business. Your idea of sketchy may be someone else's normal.

I read all your reasoning for it and, I get it it's fine for you. If a "neighbour" acted like what I've quoted above to me it wouldn't happen twice. It's disrespectful to force your curiosity on someone who doesn't want it.

I would bet that if your persistence went unrewarded you'd be the guy stirring up discontent among your allies in the community against that person. Would you?

Doesn't seem "neighbourly" to me to force your way upon others. :dunno:

codetrap
01-01-2016, 09:20 AM

egmilano
01-01-2016, 10:08 AM
I had this problem. call me snitch or w.e but i have a toddler and have seen drugs tear families and friends apart many whom are dead. A. Use crime stoppers with as much info you have or b. Contact cps directly ... In my case the police everynight sat at the corner beside the dealers house and guess what. . . one month later moved out ... Coincidence ? I think not. If its just weed theyre selling oh fucking well wheres there s bud theres sometimes harder drugs if not sold probably used. :devil:

JRSC00LUDE
01-01-2016, 11:36 AM
What exactly would you do, that it wouldn't happen twice? Sounds pretty threatening. You're talking like this is a battle, all this talk of stirring up discontent and allies and such.

The way you wrote your predicted course of action makes it a contest/battle/however you want to term it. If someone's actions don't fit what you've decided to be proper you all but said you'd take it upon yourself to get to the bottom of why. Why?

Yes, I would tell you in no uncertain terms to mind your own business if you took it upon yourself to try and violate my privacy just to placate your wandering mind.

You said plainly that if YOU don't think someone's behaviour fits YOUR narrative, you're going to confront them on it and demand explanations. Are you honestly telling me that if you go that far, you're not going to tell your buddy after "I don't like how Citizen A is behaving and when I confronted him about it he wouldn't tell me why he does things how he does, watch out for him.", or something of the like? That's stirring up discontent, it's creating a perception of a person for others just because you don't understand them. Now they're obligated to defend themselves without even knowing it.

I don't know, you can't often read tone in type but your thoughts sound very heavy handed (targeted questioning that's sole purpose is intel isn't any less intrusive just because there's a smile on your face, you're not talking to them for anyone's benefit but yours).

It's no big deal, some people are like that. Some people aren't though and that needs to be respected. My comings/goings/associates/work/etc. are absolutely none of their business if I don't choose to make it theirs and if that drives them nuts/fills them with suspicion, that's their problem. To me, if they can't get their head around it and need to continue to pry, it's THEM being "not neighbourly". :dunno:

I'm trying to understand your motivation, not attacking you for it. Half of the disconnect may just be in my interpretation of how you're saying what you mean.

Seth1968
01-01-2016, 12:05 PM
What happened to the days when people would just mind their own business? When I first moved into my home I had this problem. Nosy neighbors that thought I was a drug dealer because I was a young kid that came in and out at weird hours. I never had any complaints on noise or lack of snow removal etc. My next door neighbor was telling me how the rest of the block thought I was sketchy because I kept to myself. Sorry if I work two jobs and don't have time to socialize.

I had the guy 2 doors down come up while I was shoveling my walkway and point blank ask me what I did for a living because of my hours. It was obvious what his intentions were so I simply said "none of your business. I keep my sidewalk clean and don't cause you any trouble so what's it to you?" Some people just don't care enough be ned flanders. It doesn't help if you come off as nosy either

sorry codetrap its not directed towards you. Just putting in my two cents
/rant

Welcome to my world.

Just keeping to yourself makes the neighbours think your a POS.

speedog
01-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Being neighborly is mostly feeling people out and the striking a proper balance between you and them. This is our 20th year in our current home and of the 22 houses that I would consider our block, there are 13 of which we are on a first name basis with everyone that household. There are maybe 5 which don't really associate with anyone which isn't a big deal to the rest of us and 4 which are relatively new (under 5 years) on the block.

That said, the loners just aren't looked out for the way the rest of us are, their sidewalks don't get shoveled in a neighborly way, if something looks amiss in their home/yard/garage then it's usually left alone whereas if I drive by someone else's garage which is open at 11PM, I'll either go knock on their door, call them or just close it.

That noted, I do get that some people wish to be left alone and that's quite fine but I'd rather be in the other camp, I like being neighborly and shooting the shit and our annual Stampede block party (now in its 18 or 19th year) and just having coffe or a beer at random. It's a sense of home to me.

Shlade
01-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by NewLextasy

Has nobody else noticed Norman has come out of hiding on beyond?

NewLextasy
01-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

Has nobody else noticed Norman has come out of hiding on beyond?

OUCH.

Come on now. How can you think I'm Norman baker . I'm 32 years old not some punk kid that lied to and scammed everyone with his dad's shitty cars 8 years ago.

I made a comment in this thread and then changed my mind so I deleted it.

revelations
01-01-2016, 02:47 PM

I understand where you're coming from but a couple of things...
-If it turns out to be a guy dealing dime bangs of pot, is it really worth your time?
-What about our privacy? I can certainly imagine hundreds of these calls and police forcefully entering homes just to make an ass of themselves. There's already a negative stigma responding to a domestic abuse call. The calvary comes in, and buddy decides to act like a tough guy because he knows he's done nothing wrong so he exercises his legal rights and tells them to pound sand. They force their way in and injured the guy. A video gets taken and now you have a social media explosion because some douche decided to take the law into this own hands. Meanwhile the poor officers get chastised because let's face it, people are much quicker to criticize then to complement.

If you are taking it to this extreme without any hard evidence then what makes you think your any better than a gangster/drug dealer? We are suppose to live in a society where your innocent until proven guilty. Youre already convicting based on speculation. In my opinion your worse than a gangster

I dont think we have the same idea of what an actual drug/flop/crack house looks like. Its not a just few people coming and going every day for a few hits of dope.

typically has some boarded up windows,
piles of garbage everywhere,
people passed out on the lawn,
people yelling and screaming at all hours
fights in and out of the house
rampant theft in the immediate area
vandalism in the immediate neighbourhood
residents feel unsafe at night, kids wont go outside
muggings/robberies in the immediate area
rape/sex assault crimes in the immediate area

Its a huge drain on police resources to respond 5-6x a week to the same house for the same complaints. The CoC has in place, legislation for nuisance properties, but it can take months/year to get the due process in place for the house to be declared a nuisance.

Asian_defender
01-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by egmilano
I had this problem. call me snitch or w.e but i have a toddler and have seen drugs tear families and friends apart many whom are dead. A. Use crime stoppers with as much info you have or b. Contact cps directly ... In my case the police everynight sat at the corner beside the dealers house and guess what. . . one month later moved out ... Coincidence ? I think not. If its just weed theyre selling oh fucking well wheres there s bud theres sometimes harder drugs if not sold probably used. :devil:

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. I have no problem with that. It's when people are encouraged to call 911 and report a fake crime based on suspicion that bothers me.

speedog
01-01-2016, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Welcome to my world.

Just keeping to yourself makes the neighbours think your a POS.
Your last comment makes me wonder what you're bringing to the equation. Like I said previously, I have a few neighbors that keep to themselves but never have I assumed they are a POS. Thus I have to wonder how you came to that conclusion that your neighbors think that of you?

speedog
01-01-2016, 03:44 PM
With respect to the original topic in this thread, I'd call the police non-emergency line. One never knows what might be happening behind closed doors and while it may be harmless, it may very well be quite the opposite as well. Now one should be a bit in tune with their local surroundings beforehand making that call but sometimes you could very well be helping someone out. There's been at least three grow-ops within 6 blocks of our place but you would've never have known it. A few dumped cars on our street that a call to the police got action and the car back to its rightful owners. Worst one I know of in recent years was the house that was being used to keep women that were being brought into Canada illegally to work the sex industry, that one I actually called in a couple of times, several for not shovelling snow and once for being such an unkempt yard. You don't have to be a snoop but something that looks out of place for your community is sometimes well worth a call to the police IMHO..

ZenOps
01-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I've found that a lot of dealers are pretty quiet about their trade. Afterall, at first hint - they usually get the cops called on them. Some are extremely quiet, to the point where you wonder if anyone is even living there.

The most disruptive neighbors I've had were on call EMS techs. Not their fault of course, but still - many lost nights of sleep.

When you think about it, one is underground drugs and the other OTC drugs (EMS) either can be very disruptive. I'd laugh my ass off if someone called the cops on EMS techs for making too much noise.

Just rambling.

revelations
01-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I've found that a lot of dealers are pretty quiet about their trade. Afterall, at first hint - they usually get the cops called on them. Some are extremely quiet, to the point where you wonder if anyone is even living there.

The most disruptive neighbors I've had were on call EMS techs. Not their fault of course, but still - many lost nights of sleep.

When you think about it, one is underground drugs and the other OTC drugs (EMS) either can be very disruptive. I'd laugh my ass off if someone called the cops on EMS techs for making too much noise.

Just rambling.

How can a person going to work be that disruptive to you? Do you live in a cardboard condo ?

codetrap
01-02-2016, 10:32 PM

ExtraSlow
01-03-2016, 07:11 AM
I am in for sinister meetings.

codetrap
01-03-2016, 10:26 AM

OTown
01-03-2016, 09:17 PM

Haha. Worth a laugh and quote, since I am hoping this was sarcastic.

JRSC00LUDE
01-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I think we have a disconnect in the description of how any interactions actually go. I have yet to encounter anyone who's unwilling to talk about themselves, or what they do. It's not like any of this is a thinly veiled interrogation. It's simply being friendly and chatting. People like to talk, especially when they're shown genuine interest. Since I'm genuinely interested in people, it's not hard to get them to open up. This really isn't some sinister plan to compile data on people and weed out the unwanted. It's simply getting to know the people that live around you. Maybe it's because I've given it some thought and I'm a much more deliberate about my reasons for doing it?

As far as perceived sketchy behavior goes, I haven't really encountered any that was immediately explained by simply talking to people in the course of normal conversation. People will naturally open up unless they have something to hide. What would make me immediately suspicious is "Mind your own fucking business." or some other aggressive and unwarranted response.

With regards to the idea about sharing the information with other people I know? We certainly do share information. As most it's, "yeah, they were kinda odd, didn't want to talk at all *shrug*".. There's no sinister meetings where we work out how to put the house under surveillance.

Agreed on my interpretation of your statements isn't exactly how you mean them. I do suffer from that sometimes! :thumbsup:

codetrap
01-04-2016, 10:16 AM

ExtraSlow
01-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Only if there are chicken wings and beer involved! of course.

mr2mike
01-05-2016, 10:58 AM
If Police Academy 4 has taught me anything, you need to be a Citizen On Patrol.
http://www.jacksonvillebeach.org/sites/default/files/images/police-academy05.jpg

rinny
01-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Alright so here's an update...I have suspicions on who the dealer may be, and he lives a few doors up from me.

Left the neighborhood last night, there was a bag of A&W trash near the meet-spot. What I've also pieced together is that quite often there is fast food/bags of car trash ditched at the meet-spot. For the past year I cant figure out who the hell is throwing trash out right there, when there are no houses/reasons to park along there. I attribute this trash to the people meeting there.

Anyway, I see this trash, wonder to myself if I'm going to see anyone parked there on the way home. Shortly before 9 I return home and sure enough there's a Dakota sitting under the tree at the meet spot, two young guys inside. There's no good spot for me to sit in my vehicle and watch them where they can't see me, so I decide I'm going to sit down the street in my vehicle, two houses up from where I live. They cant see me, I cant see them. But I can see if someone comes out of the houses near me or out of the alleyway just up the street.

So I park my vehicle, its about 855. GF is saying "let's go, who knows how long we'll be here". I'm thinking, maybe they're meeting at 9? So we wait, 901 this F150 sitting across the street and one spot up, 15ft away from me fires up. It's not remote start, no, a guy has been sitting in it for as long as we've been sitting in our truck. I am facing up the street, he is facing down the street. This F150 drives down the street literally 50ft to the mailbox, gets out, acts as if he's checking the mail, and reverses back to where he was parked, shuts his truck off, and stays sitting in it. He obviously saw that we were there the whole time.

Immediately after the Dakota comes driving down the street, pulls a U-turn at the mailbox, and slowly drives back up. At this point we were both like WTF and I didn't want to turn around and stare and see if the Dakota picked anything up at the mailbox since the F150 can see me.

At no point did the Dakota and F150 make contact. Makes me wonder if the F150 got psyched out about us and called it off. Then again, the Dakota could have met someone else up the hill and just been making a U-Turn, but that really doesn't explain my neighbor sitting in his truck there at that time doing something weird like "checking the mail".

I will say, the neighbor who I think it is is an unsavory-looking person. Fun times, I have a starting lead of who to zero-in on. Next time I see a vehicle at the meet spot, I'm going to go for a walk at the school across the street, which is higher up on a hill, and should be able to see anything that happens right at the meet spot without being seen in the dark.

Stay tuned.

ExtraSlow
01-16-2016, 10:14 AM
This sounds more complex than most drug deals.

95EG6P
01-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by rinny
Alright so here's an update...I have suspicions on who the dealer may be, and he lives a few doors up from me.

Left the neighborhood last night, there was a bag of A&W trash near the meet-spot. What I've also pieced together is that quite often there is fast food/bags of car trash ditched at the meet-spot. For the past year I cant figure out who the hell is throwing trash out right there, when there are no houses/reasons to park along there. I attribute this trash to the people meeting there.

Anyway, I see this trash, wonder to myself if I'm going to see anyone parked there on the way home. Shortly before 9 I return home and sure enough there's a Dakota sitting under the tree at the meet spot, two young guys inside. There's no good spot for me to sit in my vehicle and watch them where they can't see me, so I decide I'm going to sit down the street in my vehicle, two houses up from where I live. They cant see me, I cant see them. But I can see if someone comes out of the houses near me or out of the alleyway just up the street.

So I park my vehicle, its about 855. GF is saying "let's go, who knows how long we'll be here". I'm thinking, maybe they're meeting at 9? So we wait, 901 this F150 sitting across the street and one spot up, 15ft away from me fires up. It's not remote start, no, a guy has been sitting in it for as long as we've been sitting in our truck. I am facing up the street, he is facing down the street. This F150 drives down the street literally 50ft to the mailbox, gets out, acts as if he's checking the mail, and reverses back to where he was parked, shuts his truck off, and stays sitting in it. He obviously saw that we were there the whole time.

Immediately after the Dakota comes driving down the street, pulls a U-turn at the mailbox, and slowly drives back up. At this point we were both like WTF and I didn't want to turn around and stare and see if the Dakota picked anything up at the mailbox since the F150 can see me.

At no point did the Dakota and F150 make contact. Makes me wonder if the F150 got psyched out about us and called it off. Then again, the Dakota could have met someone else up the hill and just been making a U-Turn, but that really doesn't explain my neighbor sitting in his truck there at that time doing something weird like "checking the mail".

I will say, the neighbor who I think it is is an unsavory-looking person. Fun times, I have a starting lead of who to zero-in on. Next time I see a vehicle at the meet spot, I'm going to go for a walk at the school across the street, which is higher up on a hill, and should be able to see anything that happens right at the meet spot without being seen in the dark.

Stay tuned.

you must have alot of time to do all that

blairtruck
01-16-2016, 10:18 AM
sounds like your just gonna get yourself in some trouble sneaking around.

Mista Bob
01-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Alright so here's an update....

In the neighborhood last night, threw a bag of A&W trash out the window that has been sitting in my car for 2 weeks smelling like something awful. I've pieced together that no one will care, since there is already a bunch there anyways. For the past year I haven't been able to figure out which asshole friend of mine keeps leaving this crap in my car.

Anyway, it's shortly before 9 I should probably return home and sure enough there's some guy sitting in his vehicle down the street again, two people inside. There's no good spot for me to sit in my vehicle and watch them where they can't see me, so I decide I'm going to get the mail to get a closer look as I cant see shit.

Friend is saying "let's go, those people look hella sketch". I'm thinking, maybe they're waiting for someone at 9? So we wait, its 901 so it is kinda chilly so I fire up the F150 before executing my cunning plan of getting the mail. It's not just any F150, no, its the Ranchman edition bro. I am facing up the street, he is facing down the street. So I drive down the street, get out, and then realize I accidentally chucked my mail key out the window along with the stinky A&W bag, so I reverse back to where I was parked, and shut the truck off trembling knowing the mysterious people in the vehicle have obviously seen me, and they are still there. Just sitting in their vehicle.

Then some dude in a Dakota comes driving down the street, I really like the look of those, but its no F150 Ranchman edition. He must have got spooked by the creepy people in that other vehicle, knowing all Dodge drivers are douche bags he probably thought someone narc'd on his drunk driving and did a U-turn outta there. Dodge drivers, right?

I will say, the neighbor who I think it is is a totally non-chill looking person. Fun times at parties to be had, not. I have a starting lead of who to zero-in on. Next time I see a vehicle at that spot, I'm going to go for a walk and ask them "Hey guys, whats going on, you lost? Or just hanging out here? If you need assistance, I'd be more than happy to call the police for you"

Stay tuned.