PDA

View Full Version : allergy to beer? Is this possible?

RealJimmyJames
01-03-2016, 07:58 AM
Looking for opinions on something, it's kind of funny, but serious question. Definitely a TMI situation, and pretty gross discussion.

Have noticed that when I drink more than a couple cans of beer, I get bloating and farting pretty bad, and it's usually accompanied by sinus congestion. Drinking beers with high hops content seems to make the farts stink much worse. :eek: :barf: Usually need to have a couple poops over the course of a long session, small ones . . . .

Have had a couple friends suggest that I may have a mild allergy or sensitivity to something in beer. One buddy swears I am probably gluten intolerant. I don't seem to have issues from breads or pasta that I have noticed, so I'm skeptical. Not sure if it's diagnostic, but I can drink lots of beer and my stomach never feels upset.

This isn't threatening my life or anything, and one easy fix would be to stop drinking beer, but I would like to know if there are other options or things I could be checking out. :dunno:

:goflames:

G-ZUS
01-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Yeast overgrowth in your intestine

Darell_n
01-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Many wheat beers set off my hay fever like crazy, so yes it's possible.

HomespunLobster
01-03-2016, 10:48 AM
If I mix my beers in a night I break out in a blotchy rash all over my body. mainly face and hands. So I'd say so. Only happens when I mix my beers, no other time

firebane
01-03-2016, 11:01 AM
I stopped drinking beer long ago because every time I did I would get horribly bloated and gassy.

If I could find something that did not do such things I probably wouldn't mind drinking more.

revelations
01-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Same, beer isnt my thing anymore. Pure Vodka and some OJ with water mixed in 1/3's.

Beer never was my thing, but if I do have one, I will take some pro-biotics afterwards.

Seth1968
01-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Beer never was my thing, but if I do have one, I will take some pro-biotics afterwards.

Synthetic?

revelations
01-03-2016, 02:19 PM
In capsule form .... sure

austic
01-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Are you Asian by any chance?

Apparently being alergic to the hop in beer is a more common in Asians. My Vietnamese friend drinks one beer and is drunk as his body cant process it. Any other spirits he is fine.

Was pretty funny when we found that one out.

NoPulp
01-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Curious about this too.

After I found out I was lactose intolerant I'm feeling much better. I can drink now but if I have more than 1 beer I have the worst gas. Never use to affect me at all.

Unknown303
01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Real men can drink anything without issue.

e31
01-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Real men can drink anything without issue.

http://s23.postimg.org/7nszzcrnf/6257_small.jpg

theken
01-03-2016, 05:53 PM
its probably a wheat allergy, do you get this when you eat pasta or breads as well? I cant handle more than a few beers or i will be shitting my guts out for the next day.

Edit* try a rice beer, or a gluten free beer and check back

RealJimmyJames
01-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Beer never was my thing, but if I do have one, I will take some pro-biotics afterwards. I have taken these and find it doesn't help.
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod18/dw/image/v2/AAJI_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-londondrugs-master/default/dw00601ba8/products/L6190136/large/L6190136.JPG
I did have someone recommend that I take brewers yeast, but haven't run into it in the supplement isle, and don't know if it would help.

Originally posted by austic

Apparently being allergic to the hop in beer is a more common in Asians. My Vietnamese friend drinks one beer and is drunk as his body cant process it. Any other spirits he is fine.

Was pretty funny when we found that one out. Not asian, and don't have the stereotypical Asian "drunk so fast" situation happening.

Originally posted by Unknown303
Real men can drink anything without issue. Probably true.

Originally posted by theken
its probably a wheat allergy, do you get this when you eat pasta or breads as well? I cant handle more than a few beers or i will be shitting my guts out for the next day.

Edit* try a rice beer, or a gluten free beer and check back Don't have any discomfort that I've noticed from pasta or breads. Can down a subway foot-long or a couple bowls of spaghetti without issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses!

dj_rice
01-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by austic

Apparently being alergic to the hop in beer is a more common in Asians. My Vietnamese friend drinks one beer and is drunk as his body cant process it. Any other spirits he is fine.

Was pretty funny when we found that one out.

Same with my asian friend as well. Drinks maybe half or less beer and he turns beet red. I'm asian myself, and can't stomach beer either, not allergic though just taste.

Darkane
01-04-2016, 09:41 AM
My best friend who is also Asian had the same issues. Red, digestion etc. Beer is not for him.

One thing he does now is take Zantac before drinking and it alleviates his issues. Apparently has an enzyme required for digestion that he doesn't naturally produce? I'm pretty sure he had the doctor involved in it.

revelations
01-04-2016, 10:59 AM
What kind of beer do you drink? Canned or bottles make any difference? Some people have a sensitivity to the preservatives so non-preservative beer (short life) might be better?

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2016, 11:02 AM
A friend of mine has Celiac Disease and the same thing happened to him with regular beer. He switched to Budweiser which is made partially with rice, and it seems to work for him. Maybe your problem is related to that?

Swank
01-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Switch the type of beer you're drinking. I've had tons of different beer on tap and bottles over the years and some simply don't agree with me. My first beer of choice was Traditional on tap for years, the morning after I could clear a room and strip the paint with ass gas. I finally switched to Grasshopper and felt way better the next day and was a delight to be around gas-wise, also a much easier hangover. Then when Wild Rose beers started gaining popularity I tried a few on tap. When I had the Velvet Fog I had stabbing pains in my intestine and evacuated my bowels with serious force. Tried it once more another day, exact same deal. Never again will I touch it. A couple of years ago started drinking Shock Top, great on tap, still enjoy it. Had 6-7 in the bottle I got so sick I was grey for a day and barfing (not from too many). Tried just one bottle a year-ish later and nausea set in pretty quick.

Some vodka drinks can cause my asthma to flare up pretty bad, and once when I tried watermelon boxer at a friends I broke out in a huge rash all over my face and chest.

So, to answer the original question, not sure if it's an allergy per se, but some types of drink can just not agree with any part of your system.

03ozwhip
01-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Beer does the same thing to me, but so does pasta and bread etc. My face also turns beet red and its hot and tight as welll when I drink anything alcohol related so I'm sure I have an allergy, but it does go away after a bit.

I still drink regardless, but I don't drink much beer, hard liquor is better for me.

Seth1968
01-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Despite the movie star BS, Celiac disease is just another symptom of a compromised immune system. The same for the sky rocketing increase in all other allergies.

riander5
01-04-2016, 01:06 PM
lol 'am i allergic to beer is this possible?!?!'

If this shocks you that being allergic to something that is loaded with gluten i have some other things I can show you that will really blow your mind!

Nufy
01-04-2016, 02:47 PM
I find draft beer to be worse that bottled / canned for gassiness.

Something to do with bacteria in the lines I think.

RealJimmyJames
01-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Haven't been doing much experimenting, but got pretty destroyed on Gin and soda over the weekend, and my stomach felt great both during and after. Guess the next step is to drink a case of buds one night and see what happens.

RealJimmyJames
02-23-2016, 09:10 PM
Well, I have done a little experimenting. Drank a thirteen Budweiser one evening, and had no unusual farts, bloating, no weird smells. Aside from not enjoying that beer enough, no side effects.

Drank three wild rose brown ales today, got headache, and started sneezing. Coincidence?

The_Penguin
02-23-2016, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Well, I have done a little experimenting. Drank a thirteen Budweiser one evening, and had no unusual farts, bloating, no weird smells. Aside from not enjoying that beer enough, no side effects.

Doesn't prove much, that's not really beer. :)

msommers
02-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
I find draft beer to be worse that bottled / canned for gassiness.

Something to do with bacteria in the lines I think.

That's what I was thinking as well, or maybe other gases in the line.

I find my hangovers are much worse with draft beer over canned, no matter what kind or how expensive it is.

Then again I get at least a mild hangover now whenever I have anything to drink so I don't really bother much anymore. Cheaper too :rofl:

ZenOps
02-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Yup, hard alcohol to kill of the nasty bugs.

Then some of that probiotic yogurt after the booze has passed through your system to replace the good bugs. then don't drink for as long as you can to let them breed a bit.

But really only needs to be done a couple times a year.

Just as good as eating an apple a day.

RealJimmyJames
02-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Doesn't prove much, that's not really beer. :) Agree, I don't find Bud terribly enjoyable. Had to do it in the name of science though. ;)

Anyone have suggestions for a beer with some flavour that might have fewer or no detrimental side effects? I've got some fridays with no big plans coming up in the next few weeks. Maybe something from big rock, that's supposed to have fewer additives, I think.

kaput
02-28-2016, 04:40 PM

rx7_turbo2
02-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Haven't been doing much experimenting, but got pretty destroyed on Gin and soda over the weekend, and my stomach felt great both during and after.

From 16-20 I drank exclusively beer. I'd get bloated, stuffy nose, rank farts. I didn't know better, thought it just came with the territory.

Then, and I'm dating myself here, I started hanging out at a place called the Night Gallery every Thursday and Sunday nights for a solid 3 year period. I don't know if it was an official promotion but before 10pm John the bartender (of Tubby a Dog fame), would serve us 1/2price triples ($6) So I started drinking gin & tonic. The first night was a revelation, felt SO much better.

Eventually the sugar in the tonic, combined with my advancing age made the hangovers unbearable so I switched to gin & water. Now I don't drink at all.

RealJimmyJames
03-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Did a little more experimenting, went classy with some about 10 AGD one night while hitting netflix. Nothing to report, although that's another beer that gets old pretty fast. Really need something to cleanse the palate after three or four.

Also had a night out at a bar, hit the rolling rocks, I guess they weren't pints, sleeves maybe is the correct term, had nine maybe?

Will look for a "pure" beer, although many of the german beers you can buy in bottles here I don't find that tasty.

Maybe just get my 1516 from Okanagan Springs.