PDA

View Full Version : Lexus inspection- where to take it?

jabjab
01-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Looking at a Lexus IS to purchase and would to take it to a shop that specializes in Lexus for a pre purchase inspection. Every car I've taken to their respective dealer has always done a half ass job even though you pay a premium.

Any suggestions?

Proyecto2000
01-05-2016, 09:42 AM
based on my experience with my IS250 I would go with stampede toyota. from a mechanic stand point they are better than lexus of calgary who I have had 2 problems with in the past.

Neil4Speed
01-05-2016, 10:01 AM
I had great experiences with Henninger, their new shop is fantastic in terms of service.

BokCh0y
01-05-2016, 10:16 AM
I brought mine to South Point Toyota for an inspection. They did a great job, very thorough and great customer service.

jabjab
01-05-2016, 10:23 AM
So it looks like the Toyota dealerships shared are a lot better than Lexus themselves.

So far I'll look into those suggestions, thank you.

Are there other shops non dealer related? For example, I know tunedub is great for VW/Audi. Is there a similar shop for Lexus?

Rocket1k78
01-05-2016, 11:55 AM
I took an RX to RO lexus for a pre purchase inspection and they saved my sister almost $4k because they let her know about a common issue with the timing chain cover(think thats what it was called) and that it would need to be replaced eventually. We showed the seller the report and they agreed to drop the cost of it because im sure they already knew. I'm sure had we taken it to another place who didnt specialize in lexus they would've probably never knew about that problem.

Neil4Speed
01-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Rocket, you make a good point. Jabjab, I would advise you to look around at forums to look at frequent problems with that model - they should be only a few, but I know that the 250 had some issues with sludge/oil burning.

jabjab
01-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
I took an RX to RO lexus for a pre purchase inspection and they saved my sister almost $4k because they let her know about a common issue with the timing chain cover(think thats what it was called) and that it would need to be replaced eventually. We showed the seller the report and they agreed to drop the cost of it because im sure they already knew. I'm sure had we taken it to another place who didnt specialize in lexus they would've probably never knew about that problem.

Where is RO Lexus?

That.Guy.S30
01-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by jabjab

Where is RO Lexus?

Royal oak NW

Stephen81
01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by jabjab

Where is RO Lexus?

Royal Oak, NW Calgary

^ Edit, wizzard lol

Asian_defender
01-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Common issues with the IS
-Carbon buildup with the direct injection. 250 model only 06-10 models. Lexus will cover it up to 150 or 200k.
-Speedometer needle light going. This hasn't been that common but believe it or not this is a $1000+ fix
-If you get a 2011-2013 model it's 0w20 which is a pain
-Minor issues with a 06-08 (I think) 350 model. oil leak from the timing chain cover
-250 models make sure that A/C is not leaking. only in the earlier models
If I missed anything someone speak up :)

Those are the most reported issues but wasn't common as you think they were. I did a ton of research before buying my IS

I've had mine since 2011 new and so far it's been the best car I've owned (90k). If you're over 6' ft tall then probably not the smartest choice. My white friends all complain that it was made for a chinaman like me. Doesn't hurt that the service at both Lexus dealerships have been outstanding.

Lex350
01-05-2016, 02:53 PM
I've had my 2008 IS350 since new. Haven;t had any major issues with it at all. One issue you might find is that the sun/moon roof doesn't like to close sometimes. It is a simple solution that you just hold the button in for 10 seconds and it resets. The dealer won't tell you that and try and charge you $500-$600 for a fix. That information is in the IS forums online.

Just had a recall done. Can't remember exactly but something to do with a seal around an injector.

Other than that....the car has been great. Just passed the 160km mark.

wintonyk
01-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

Just had a recall done. Can't remember exactly but something to do with a seal around an injector.

Other than that....the car has been great. Just passed the 160km mark.

Just had the recall done too. I would be bias towards taking it to a dealership for those sole reasons. They know that car inside out and backwards. Never had a bad experience at lexus of Calgary. I wouldn't lump it with my experiences at Audi or Subaru dealers.

"Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Problem Summary: Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Lexus LS vehicles manufactured May 9, 2006, to July 20, 2010, 2006-2011 Lexus GS vehicles manufactured January 6, 2005, to September 10, 2010, and 2006-2011 Lexus IS vehicles manufactured August 30, 2005, to September 10, 2010. Due to anti-corrosion plating remnants, fuel may leak from where the fuel pressure sensor is attached to the fuel delivery pipe.

Consequence: A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire.

What Owners Should Do: Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will clean and reseal the fuel pressure sensor mounting area, free of charge. The recall began March 3, 2015. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331." - Link (http://www.cars.com/recalls/lexus/is-350/2007/)

Stephen81
01-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Asian_defender

I've had mine since 2011 new and so far it's been the best car I've owned (90k). If you're over 6' ft tall then probably not the smartest choice. My white friends all complain that it was made for a chinaman like me. Doesn't hurt that the service at both Lexus dealerships have been outstanding.

I didn't think the 2IS was any smaller than the 3IS? I'm 6'6 and find it super comfortable and roomy as a driver or front seat passenger. Backseat is another story entirely lol...

Asian_defender
01-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Stephen81

I didn't think the 2IS was any smaller than the 3IS? I'm 6'6 and find it super comfortable and roomy as a driver or front seat passenger. Backseat is another story entirely lol...

At 6'6, your back seats are probably non existent for anyone that wants to sit behind you. That is the consensus when I'm driving to get lunch. All the white people complain about how small the car is :rofl:
Ill admit that even the civic I had before was a little more roomy.