PDA

View Full Version : my truck was hit. Insurance question

hogujak
01-05-2016, 04:39 PM
My truck was hit when it was parked on the street in front of my house.

It has been a month and half but the guy at fault still didn't report to his insurance company and doesn't answer their and my calls.

And now my insurance company wants me to pay $1000 deductible to fix the truck and rent a truck until other insurance company contacts him and confirm that its his fault.

Since I took some pictures clearly showing he hit my parked truck, he can't just get away with it.

What can I do now? I know where he live but I don't think it's a good idea that I personally visit his house because I am really mad and I feel like I gonna say something that I shouldn't say.

I was able to get a hold of him twice after calling him 15 times. And now he completely avoid my calls..

It's extremely annoying because I want to fix my truck and move on.

Please give me some advice.

Boosted_TL
01-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Seems like a hit and run to me?. Call it in. Get the ball rolling with a police report

Disoblige
01-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Seems like a hit and run to me?. Call it in. Get the ball rolling with a police report
Yep, get the police involved. Get a police report. Your insurance will take care of the rest.

vengie
01-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Agreed with the hit and run... or just burn down his house :dunno:

hogujak
01-05-2016, 04:47 PM

I reported a police the day my truck was hit and called my insurance next day. And I have his drivers license,insurace, and his license plate# too.

It's just him not reporting to his insurance(not sure if he reported to the police).

And I am stuck now because I don't want to pay $1000 deductible to my insurance company to fix my truck.

Boosted_TL
01-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Re reading your thread... A police report should have been the first thing you did. Speculation does not win insurance battles in your favour. Provide all documentation and photos to the police and good luck

hogujak
01-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Yep, get the police involved. Get a police report. Your insurance will take care of the rest.

Apparently, I gave my police report and pics showing he hit my truck to my insurance company.

Maybe I am with bad insurance company(AVIVA).

I really don't understand how my insurance company ask me to pay deductible even after i showed them the pics.

Boosted_TL
01-05-2016, 04:50 PM
You shouldn't be stuck with the bill. Call again and update cps of the non compliance

Disoblige
01-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Your insurance has the ability to contact his insurance company too. That's what you pay insurance for. Call Aviva and clarify why they're asking you to pay the deductible when you have a police report already? Aviva sounds terrible.

hogujak
01-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Your insurance has the ability to contact his insurance company. That's what you pay insurance for. Get Aviva to get off their asses, haha.

They said they called other insurance company many times and other company called him too but its just him not answering his phone.

So everyone is waiting for him to report. And I have been waiting for that for a month and half now

lasimmon
01-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Don't they usually make you pay the deductible then refund it to you later?

I've never made a claim though.

Disoblige
01-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by hogujak

They said they called other insurance company many times and other company called him too but its just him not answering his phone.

So everyone is waiting for him to report. And I have been waiting for that for a month and half now
Fair enough, but in the end the insurance asking you to pay the $1000 is ridiculous. I wouldn't pay a cent. It'll be a huge headache trying to get that $ back later. Trust me.

Try calling the police as Boosted_TL said about the non-compliance.

hogujak
01-05-2016, 04:59 PM
^^ Fair enough, but in the end the insurance asking you to pay the $1000 is ridiculous and stupid.

Try calling the police as Boosted_TL said about the non-compliance.

You are right.

Only thing I can do now is getting a help from the police.

Now sure if they would even care about something like this.

Sometime I hate people..... My 3 months old truck was hit and I have to waste my own time to fix brand new truck. Awesome.. :(

Disoblige
01-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Police will care.

Slightly different as it was a hit and run, but my friend got his bumper nudged in his neighborhood and the lady just drove off. My friend even told the police he wasn't sure if it was a big deal since it was just some paint scrapes to the bumper. The police woman who came over to look at the damage said they take it seriously and he did the right thing by calling it in. Just seemed like even though it was minor damage, the police took it seriously and didn't downplay it at all. The lady was charged for hit and run.

lilmira
01-05-2016, 05:11 PM
You shouldn't have to pay the shop the deductible right away. You only pay when the repair is done if it hasn't been waived by then.

I'm with Aviva and I was hit last year. I paid the deductible when I picked up the car from the shop. It was refunded later once they confirmed the other party was at fault. I didn't have to pay anything before that.

Something doesn't sound right unless you don't want to proceed with the repair before they waive the deductible but that decision would be on you.

hogujak
01-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Police will care.

Slightly different as it was a hit and run, but my friend got his bumper nudged in his neighborhood and the lady just drove off. My friend even told the police he wasn't sure if it was a big deal since it was just some paint scrapes to the bumper. The police woman who came over to look at the damage said they take it seriously and he did the right thing by calling it in. Just seemed like even though it was minor damage, the police took it seriously and didn't downplay it at all. The lady was charged for hit and run.

I will go see the police tomorrow.

I really hope he gets charged for hit and run .

speedog
01-05-2016, 05:14 PM
You shouldn't be stuck with the bill. Call again and update cps of the non compliance
Non-compliance with what? The accident has been reported properly, this is all now in the insurance company's hands and it sounds like the OP has to have a good talk with his own insurance company with respect to what they should and should not be doing. For sure the OP should not be putting out any monies and certainly I'd be pissed off if I were in his position.

hogujak
01-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
You shouldn't have to pay the shop the deductible right away. You only pay when the repair is done if it hasn't been waived by then.

I'm with Aviva and I was hit last year. I paid the deductible when I picked up the car from the shop. It was refunded later once they confirmed the other party was at fault. I didn't have to pay anything before that.

Something doesn't sound right unless you don't want to proceed with the repair before they waive the deductible but that decision would be on you.

I didn't pay. My insurance wants me to pay the deductible first so I am just waiting until the other guy report to his insurance.

Masked Bandit
01-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Have you talked to your broker about this yet? They should be able to explain all the ins & outs to you on this. The fact that your insurance company is Aviva doesn't matter as this can happen regardless of who the specific insurer is. I have these conversations with our clients often. Let me know what your broker says.

lilmira
01-05-2016, 05:19 PM

I didn't pay. My insurance wants me to pay the deductible first so I am just waiting until the other guy report to his insurance.

That's just strange. You are supposed to pay the shop deductible if it hasn't been waived. You don't pay until the repair is done. What kind of coverage do you have?

I got hit once last year and then got hailed on. I paid nothing until I picked up the car both times.

roopi
01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Have you talked to your broker about this yet? They should be able to explain all the ins & outs to you on this. The fact that your insurance company is Aviva doesn't matter as this can happen regardless of who the specific insurer is. I have these conversations with our clients often. Let me know what your broker says.

Can the broker provide a reasonable explanation as to why he is liable for the deductible other then they can't get a hold of anyone?

Sounds as though if I were to get in an accident, never report it to my insurance company and screen calls I have no liability. :rofl:

hogujak
01-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Can the broker provide a reasonable explanation as to why he is liable for the deductible other then they can't get a hold of anyone?

Sounds as though if I were to get in an accident, never report it to my insurance company and screen calls I have no liability. :rofl:

its messed up. So basically my insurance company doesn't wanna take a risk paying for the repair in case it's my fault.... even after I sent them good pics.

My insurance company should pay for the repair without asking me deductible BS as my truck wasn't even running..;; and pics shows it all...

lilmira
01-05-2016, 05:54 PM

its messed up. So basically my insurance company doesn't wanna take a risk paying for the repair in case it's my fault.... even after I sent them good pics.

My insurance company should pay for the repair without asking me deductible BS as my truck wasn't even running..;; and pics shows it all...

That's what I don't understand. Who's at fault has nothing to do with the eligibility for repair. Your insurance covers the repair regardless. How they go after the other guy has nothing to do holding up the process. :dunno:

revelations
01-05-2016, 07:11 PM
I dont know if were missing some piece of information or not:

- do you have full coverage OP? (not just plpd)
- what was the statement the other motorist made to the CPS?
- whats stopping the other motorist from claiming that you were in motion and that fault should be shared? (he said she said)

Masked Bandit
01-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by roopi

The short answer is yes, a competent broker should be able to explain to OP what his options are that would answer all of his questions.

As for the second idea in your post, it wouldn't quite work like that, other than delay the inevitable.

Masked Bandit
01-05-2016, 07:28 PM

There are a few different scenarios where you can A) not be at fault and B) still have to pay your deductible.

Crazyjoker77
01-05-2016, 08:29 PM
I've found when dealing with insurance in Alberta your always gonna be left with a bad taste in your mouth and its about time they reformed it...

I've recently had to deal with my insurance that was very similar to what you are going through although the person was a bit more cooperating than your guy it sounds and it still took almost 4months before I had a cheque for my car that was hit(and written off) while parked.

My other friend is still waiting to get his deductable waived from a accident that happened last feburary.

I found insurance companies love to drag it out as long as possible as your more likely to accept a shitty offer just to stop dealing with this crap. I had to call at least once a day for over 2months to keep things moving.

I ended up changing insurance companies over it ( I was with intact at the time) Not to mention they played some shady games to get out of giving me the rental car...

You say you went to the police? do you have an acual collision report or did you just give a statement to the police?

Also how they handle it depends if you have Collision, comp, or PLPD.

I feel for you OP

speedog
01-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
I've found when dealing with insurance in Alberta your always gonna be left with a bad taste in your mouth and its about time they reformed it...

I've recently had to deal with my insurance that was very similar to what you are going through although the person was a bit more cooperating than your guy it sounds and it still took almost 4months before I had a cheque for my car that was hit(and written off) while parked.

My other friend is still waiting to get his deductable waived from a accident that happened last feburary.

I found insurance companies love to drag it out as long as possible as your more likely to accept a shitty offer just to stop dealing with this crap. I had to call at least once a day for over 2months to keep things moving.

I ended up changing insurance companies over it ( I was with intact at the time) Not to mention they played some shady games to get out of giving me the rental car...

You say you went to the police? do you have an acual collision report or did you just give a statement to the police?

I feel for you OP

AMA Insurance for 35+ years now and can't say a bad word about them. Every claim made has been handled in a very timely manner and never have had any issues with respect to any insurance matter, maybe it's just been a 35+ year streak of good luck.

hogujak
01-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I dont know if were missing some piece of information or not:

- do you have full coverage OP? (not just plpd)
- what was the statement the other motorist made to the CPS?
- whats stopping the other motorist from claiming that you were in motion and that fault should be shared? (he said she said)

I have full coverage

I don't think other guy even went to see the police. I called him to do that cause the cop wants him to do his report but I bet he didn't even do that.

- the guy is not answering calls from his insurance or from me.
So nobody knows what he is trying to do... I think he is just dragging it hoping he can get away with it somehow. I took some pics showing his tire skid mark. 0% chance they can blame it to me. I am not even worried about that. I just wanna get my truck fixed without paying 1000 deductible

hogujak
01-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

I feel for you OP

I am with AVIVA. I will change my insurance next year for sure. This company don't even have their own adjuster so I am dealing with third party random adjuster.....and of course she is really bad. Never return calls...

hogujak
01-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by speedog

AMA Insurance for 35+ years now and can't say a bad word about them. Every claim made has been handled in a very timely manner and never have had any issues with respect to any insurance matter, maybe it's just been a 35+ year streak of good luck.

I will go with AMA next year. I heard good things about them. My friend actually recommended them after hearing all this BS from AVIVA

Masked Bandit
01-06-2016, 12:35 AM
So since the OP keeps avoiding the question (unless I've missed it), I'm going to assume he hasn't contacted his broker for assistance. So I'll take a stab at it.

Here's the deal. Aviva doesn't actually have much to do with the delay here. This is all between the guy that hit your parked car and HIS insurance company. HIS insurance company will not accept liability (pay for your damage) until they either get a statement from their client confirming your version of the events OR they are forced to by law. Now this is where my expertise gets a bit fuzzy. I know that at some point, if their own client refuses to cooperate they will have to take your version of the events at face value and accept liability. I just don't know what the legal timeline is (2 - 4 months is my guess).

The reason Aviva can't waive the deductible (yet) is because the other company hasn't officially accepted liability. The two most common scenarios that could allow for the other insurance company to NOT accept liability (even though their client hit your parked car) would be 1) the vehicle was reported stolen or 2) the authorized driver had a medical emergency (think heart attack or epileptic seizure). In either of those cases, Aviva would have to pay the bill and you would be stuck paying the deductible.

If you want your vehicle fixed BEFORE the OTHER insurance company officially accepts liability, you need to lay out your deductible and then have it reimbursed to you once the other side accepts. Or, you can simply wait until the other side officially accepts liability and waives the deductible.

So you can see, there's a little more to it than just "someone hit my parked car, why do I have to pay". This really is no fault of Aviva's at all. As for the comment about the adjuster assigned to the file not being a staff adjuster and only works for an independent (sub-contracted) adjusting firm, well, say hello to simple auto claims in modern times. Most insurance companies have all but eliminated in house staff adjusters in favour of contracting the task out. Probably about 75% of basic claims are handled by someone other than staff adjusters, that's just the way it is. The challenge is that when you get a bit of a dipshit for an adjuster, at any given time he may be working on 3 Aviva claims, 4 from Intact, 6 from TD and another 2 from Wawanesa. Now ALL of those customers think that THEIR insurance companies are terrible when in fact it had nothing to do with the individual companies in the first place.

Questions?