PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust: build VS buy

Sugarphreak
01-07-2016, 11:41 AM

My_name_is_Rob
01-07-2016, 01:04 PM
I got my jetta done in 2.5 from the downpipe back, and it didn't take more than 2 hours. I was going to get it 2.25, but the 2.5 was $20 more, so I opted for it instead. 3 inch would probably run you around $300+ depending on how many bends, and what kind of pipe you went with.

Sugarphreak
01-07-2016, 01:08 PM

eglove
01-07-2016, 01:16 PM
3" won't give you much benefit unless you're going BT

Sugarphreak
01-07-2016, 01:35 PM

HiTempguy1
01-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
just doing everything I can in stock class this year, can't do more than a cat back though

I don't know much about Fiestas, but...

Without doing the whole exhaust, you will always have a bottleneck. In this case, probably the downpipe.

So, hear me out. Take the stock muffler/cat/whatever is in the factory catback. Cut it out. Have flanges welded on the stock muffler/cat.

Remove those when you go auto-x and replace them with "test pipes" ie flanged straight pipe sections. Then when done competing, put the stock pieces back in so the car doesn't bother your old ears. ;)

This would be cheap (under $300) and give you the ability to change how loud your car is based on whether you put the stock cat and muffler back in, just the cat, etc. I would NOT pay $1k for some friggin pipe.

Skidro
01-07-2016, 03:23 PM
I'm in the same boat, would like a new exhaust the fist is friggin quiet especially with the symposer deleted.
Has anyone used resonators/exhaust stuff from vibrant? They seem like good shit

eglove
01-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I don't know much about Fiestas, but...

Without doing the whole exhaust, you will always have a bottleneck. In this case, probably the downpipe.

So, hear me out. Take the stock muffler/cat/whatever is in the factory catback. Cut it out. Have flanges welded on the stock muffler/cat.

Remove those when you go auto-x and replace them with "test pipes" ie flanged straight pipe sections. Then when done competing, put the stock pieces back in so the car doesn't bother your old ears. ;)

This would be cheap (under $300) and give you the ability to change how loud your car is based on whether you put the stock cat and muffler back in, just the cat, etc. I would NOT pay $1k for some friggin pipe.

That won't work with our vehicles. The downpipe is crammed up in there. You either do it once, or don't bother haha.

eglove
01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Skidro
I'm in the same boat, would like a new exhaust the fist is friggin quiet especially with the symposer deleted.
Has anyone used resonators/exhaust stuff from vibrant? They seem like good shit

vibrants are LOUD. pretty much just straight through.

mr2mike
01-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Yep loud. No sound deadening. Maybe reduces some of the resonance but that's it.

My_name_is_Rob
01-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
OK that isn't too bad. Did you get a muffler or resonator with yours?

Nope neither. I did get it turned down at a 45° out the back though as I do a lot of highway driving, and hate drone.

I suppose without a muffler or resonator it was probably a heck-uva lot cheaper for me as a result.

Redlyne_mr2
01-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Nothing on ebay?

JDMMAN
01-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Cost depends on construction, material type, welding methods etc. So if it's $1000 CAD shipped, tax in for 3" mandrel bent 16 gauge T304 or T321 stainless steel with TIG construction, that's not necessarily outrageous.

Sugarphreak
01-08-2016, 10:43 PM

962 kid
01-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Having something equivalent to that locally would cost well over a grand if its stainless. Keep in mind if you are having a custom exhaust made you are also effectively paying for the labour to remove and install said system in addition to the fabrication.

k1l4m
01-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Check out tdotperformance.ca. I've never used them but they usually have the more generic exhaust systems at competitive prices.

Sugarphreak
01-09-2016, 09:56 AM

962 kid
01-09-2016, 04:30 PM
I had one made 4 years ago. Total cost was 1600ish for downpipe to tailpipe with me supplying the muffler. 304 stainless with a single v band connection at the downpipe.

03ozwhip
01-10-2016, 01:24 AM
I had a custom dual exhaust done when I had my monte carlo, I can't remember the name of the place and it wasn't stainless, but I only paid 300.

The place was beside davenport if that helps.

RedApe
01-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Everything I've ever had done was always custom...simply because the vehicles I've had didn't have a big aftermarket in the exhaust area for cat/axle back. Typical recipe has been headers (down pipe in this case) and custom bends back to a Flowmaster/Borla etc.
<truth be told, I actually prefer welded to fitted as well>

Having said that:
- I've heard very good reviews about http://www.unlimitedperformance.com/ for exhaust work.
Never had work done there tho
- my last custom bent on my MkII Jetta was done by a guy in the Crowfoot Brake/Muffler. Time for a full cat back custom job was about 2 hours, ran me $550, was all stainless from one connector back. I went back about a week later as I wasn't happy with the droan, so a different resonator was put in for $25 (part only). http://www.crowfootbrakes.com/en/services.html

I'm considering the same decision right now as well....but waiting for CPE's timelines on their complete system before I make a decision (they already do a down pipe for the 2G Fusion)
http://www.cp-e.com/ (note a decent list of FiST parts including exhaust).

Sugarphreak
01-12-2016, 08:37 PM