PDA

View Full Version : Tire Plug

chathamf
01-07-2016, 03:33 PM
About to go put a plug in the tire on the wife's car. I've used them before and they are such a bitch to put in. Considering its cold as hell out and my backs pretty banged up I'm not looking forward to it. Can I use some lube to make it go in easier or will that mess up the seal?

Kloubek
01-07-2016, 03:37 PM
That's what she said.

I wouldn't. Those plugs are not really intended to be permanent fixes anyway.

I would suggest using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften up the tire, if anything.

RickDaTuner
01-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Try and make sure the tire is at least above 0deg as mentioned, the cement tube that they include can be used as lube to put the plug in.
As already stated, these are to be used in an emergency only, and the tire should be replaced or properly repaired after wards.

A better option is to buy a can of Fix a flat, get it to a repair shop, and them have them properly
patch the tire.
Tire shops hate this stuff, but its a better/easier option to temporarily repair a tire

Best of luck, its terrible out there.

chathamf
01-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Got it thawing out in the basement now. Gonna give it a go and see if I can it in a bit. I've worked as a tire tech many years back and we use to use these plugs all the time. Since then yea they are not common practice (maybe illegal?), but I've never had any issues with them and been using them quite regularly over the years.

HuMz
01-07-2016, 04:36 PM
I would recommend the ARB tire repair kit, it comes with lube and a threading tool. I had a nail hole I repaired with the plug that fixed the leak for several years before I got rid of the tires.

Edit: I just read you have the tire off, I'd just take it off and drop it off at Canadian tire or fountain tire for a couple hours.

HomespunLobster
01-07-2016, 04:53 PM
I plugged a tire in -30 up near grande cache one winter. Got the flat, put on the spare, threw it in the trunk of the car, went to local gas station pump, aired up tire, rammed plug in, drove on that plug for a good 30,000km before I sold the car.

NOTE: The plug was warm, not the tire though

chathamf
01-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Woohoo. Got it done. Already have the tire repair kit. Just have to put it back on now. My back is a litte more sore now. Haha. Forgot how miserable it is to get those bastards in.

chathamf
01-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
I plugged a tire in -30 up near grande cache one winter. Got the flat, put on the spare, threw it in the trunk of the car, went to local gas station pump, aired up tire, rammed plug in, drove on that plug for a good 30,000km before I sold the car.

NOTE: The plug was warm, not the tire though

Oh yea, that's the way to go. East coaster? lol

AndyL
01-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Plugs are still legal... I keep hearing they're not but challenged a tire shop on it - there's nothing wrong with it. Michelin and some mfg'ers say its not preferred method now. I think there's some specific tires (runflats?) Where its not allowed.

(Shop wanted to charge me to 'fix' 4-5 plugs in a tire)

I've had tires that looked like pincusions when they were finally changed out... Ran those tires from new to bald with weekly plugs used - probably 80-90k on them in under the year they were on...