PDA

View Full Version : My good buddies sleds were stolen

tirebob
01-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Hey all,

My good buddy Jason came out to find his trailer and sleds stolen. If you can keep an eye out it would be greatly appreciated! The following was taken from his FB page... A pic with one of the sleds...

At 11:00 this morning I went outside to shovel my sidewalk and some dick faced piece of shit fucking asshole, who better hope I NEVER find him stole BOTH of my snowmobiles and my trailer from my driveway....... I had two locks on the trailer, one on the hitch and one on the ball receiver. The police told me that thieves know what they are doing and can get anything they want, my locks were just for show. Well they got it, and again they better hope I never find them!

My day has gone to shit and I am in a bad mood.

Should anyone see them anywhere, being pulled down the road, parked in a parking lot or driveway or just anywhere at all please call the POLICE!

Yacht Club trailer, drive on - drive off with tin half way up the front of the nose.

2009 Yamaha Venture, Red. KISS sticker on the back, has a back seat.

2008 Yamaha Venture, Black, cracked front windshield.

http://i.imgur.com/IsVkvjG.jpg

tirebob
01-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Trailer found outside Cochrane, but no sleds...

spike98
01-14-2016, 11:31 AM
I think we might have mutual buddies...

If its the same person, these thief's are getting ballsey. Few enclosed trailers went missing too, they arent even checking to see whats in them before they snatch them.

tirebob
01-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I think we might have mutual buddies...

If its the same person, these thief's are getting ballsey. Few enclosed trailers went missing too, they arent even checking to see whats in them before they snatch them. It is getting nuts out there, and with the economy, it probably isn't going to improve anytime soon.

spike98
01-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
It is getting nuts out there, and with the economy, it probably isn't going to improve anytime soon.

Our SxS trailer was taken (unloaded, thankfully) as well. During that time, 5 holiday trailers and a quad trailer were taken too. In the span of a 2 days.

Locks don't help either.

Disoblige
01-14-2016, 12:51 PM
^^ Wow, serious? Brutal.

Maybe some of the houses affected had surveillance set up maybe?

Masked Bandit
01-14-2016, 01:28 PM
So what's the solution, put the trailer on blocks and pull a wheel off?

dirtsniffer
01-14-2016, 01:34 PM
A tire boot and a GPS tracker?

tirebob
01-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Sadly, locks really only stop honest people. A professional thief can get whatever they want. I don't think it is a matter of having better or more locks. It is a matter of having secure storage. It shouldn't be this way, but people will steal what they can access easily. If you leave your stuff out and visible from the street, you are a target. If you can leave it in a closed garage or behind fencing in the back yard it is better (although not a guarantee).

spike98
01-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ Wow, serious? Brutal.

Maybe some of the houses affected had surveillance set up maybe?

This was at a local storage yard that apparently had "cameras". Unfortunately they weren't working at the time. We aren't allowed to have any recreational toys in our driveways from Oct to May so we are at the mercy of these storage facilities.

Unless they are manned, they are literally a one stop shop for criminals. They have plenty of time to cut locks, hook up trailers, break into RV's ect.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
So what's the solution, put the trailer on blocks and pull a wheel off?

Insurance...thats the only solution.

Which begs a question....Should the whatever be insured, is there a likely scenario that claim would be denied if it wasn't secured with a hitch lock of some sort?

Lipo angle grinders tend to blow through these locks in seconds so if im at risk, id rather save the few hundred and just not lock it. Especially if they will trash it if they can't get in anyways.

lasimmon
01-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Seems like a terrible way to store snowmobiles IMO.

Really shitty though. People suck.

revelations
01-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Quick release tires (if there is such a thing) and good lights on the parking area. Most thefts occur between 1-5am.

rx7boi
01-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Secure storage is everything if you don't want to get jacked, but unfortunately even that won't deter some thieves.

I never understood why folks keep their crotch rockets in front of their house.

It's a 600lb item. In plain view.

With wheels. :rofl:

spike98
01-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Seems like a terrible way to store snowmobiles IMO.

Really shitty though. People suck.

Short of a $20k enclosed trailer, how else would you expect to store them?

Masked Bandit
01-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Insurance...thats the only solution.

Which begs a question....Should the whatever be insured, is there a likely scenario that claim would be denied if it wasn't secured with a hitch lock of some sort?

Lipo angle grinders tend to blow through these locks in seconds so if im at risk, id rather save the few hundred and just not lock it. Especially if they will trash it if they can't get in anyways.

Insurance will still apply in this situation, there's no requirement for any specific lock / storage solution. The problem is that a lot of people don't bother with theft coverage on toys, just the minimum PLPD to get plates & go on the trails / crown land.

roopi
01-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Insurance will still apply in this situation, there's no requirement for any specific lock / storage solution. The problem is that a lot of people don't bother with theft coverage on toys, just the minimum PLPD to get plates & go on the trails / crown land.

New sleds are 10-20k. I'd have theft for sure.

vengie
01-14-2016, 03:47 PM

I mean, there is a 2 car garage right behind the trailer?

Sucks to hear they have been stolen, is this something thieves will try to take across the border?

spike98
01-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by vengie

I mean, there is a 2 car garage right behind the trailer?

Sucks to hear they have been stolen, is this something thieves will try to take across the border?

IIRC the garage is full...

All i am saying is that there really isn't a better way unless you spend a lot of money or have the garage space for it.

This was hardly a "terrible way" to keep them.

lasimmon
01-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Probably in a way where someone can't roll up and cut a lock and take my stuff, but I digress.

Maxt
01-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Someone needs to adapt that boundary lock shopping cart technology to trailers, that or make hitch locks with dye packs in them.

spike98
01-14-2016, 09:46 PM
I use this to secure my Rzr to the trailer when its on the street:

http://www.amazon.ca/Master-Lock-8290DPS-Street-22-Inch/dp/B0009V1WQQ

Then one of these for the hitch:

http://www.realworktrucks.com/equipment-locks/trailer-hitch-locks.html

Even then its not 100% secure but its the best i think i can do short of taking the wheels off.

Thaco
01-14-2016, 10:14 PM
I use this to secure my Rzr to the trailer when its on the street:

http://www.amazon.ca/Master-Lock-8290DPS-Street-22-Inch/dp/B0009V1WQQ

Then one of these for the hitch:

http://www.realworktrucks.com/equipment-locks/trailer-hitch-locks.html

Even then its not 100% secure but its the best i think i can do short of taking the wheels off. that hitch lock is useless, 3 bolts and they take the entire tongue off and replace it.. 30 seconds with an electric impact. (unless its welded which isnt common for prebuilt trailers)

Look at buddys trailer int he OP, only 2 bolts holding the entire tongue on

AE92_TreunoSC
01-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Lots of people leaving toys outside due to the bad economy..

HomespunLobster
01-14-2016, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
that hitch lock is useless, 3 bolts and they take the entire tongue off and replace it.. 30 seconds with an electric impact. (unless its welded which isnt common for prebuilt trailers)

I run bolts through my trailer tongue.... and then weld it on as well. Takes but a few minutes.

Xtrema
01-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Lots of people leaving toys outside due to the bad economy..

Bad economy or not, toys are always outside.

Driving thru most new neighborhoods has taught me that:

Garage is for useless/worthless junks.
Driveway is for toys.
Street parking is for cars.

:rofl:

Thaco
01-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster

I run bolts through my trailer tongue.... and then weld it on as well. Takes but a few minutes. assuming you have access to the tools, this is the best option for sure.

spike98
01-15-2016, 09:12 AM
that hitch lock is useless, 3 bolts and they take the entire tongue off and replace it.. 30 seconds with an electric impact. (unless its welded which isnt common for prebuilt trailers)

Mines welded. In fact i dont think i have ever owned a trailer that has been bolted. Id weld it up if i did though.

Thaco
01-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Lots of people leaving toys outside due to the bad economy.. i really dont think most people would do this intentionally, also as was mentioned most people do not insure these types of things past the minimum, which i agree is very very risky, but a lot of people don't even know the difference, they figure insurance is insurance.

Thaco
01-15-2016, 09:21 AM

Mines welded. In fact i dont think i have ever owned a trailer that has been bolted. Id weld it up if i did though. thats a good thing to do, but i am just pointing out that something like that likely wouldn't have helped the situation in the OP

spike98
01-15-2016, 09:38 AM
thats a good thing to do, but i am just pointing out that something like that likely wouldn't have helped the situation in the OP

I guess eh. Its pretty interesting to see how easy it can be for something to be overlooked.

Hitch receivers are the same. People will use pretty sophisticated locks to secure the trailer to the ball but you pull the cotter pin and you have the trailer AND the hitch. These toys are light enough that you can hand bomb it onto another truck.

sr20s14zenki
01-15-2016, 05:16 PM
Sure would be fun to have gps and catch them with their pants down.

Darell_n
01-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Leave an electric cattle fence connected to the trailer frame. This way they will leave a DNA sample behind if they manage to steal the trailer.