PDA

View Full Version : What about a 240SX?

Gonthro
03-15-2004, 02:47 PM
what should i look for whe purchasing one of these?, unforunatly i will not be able to drive t, as it is at an auction... but any suggestions on what to look for??

(i know the basic stuff, just curious about common major problems on these, if any... and also if they put diffrent types of engines in these which should i look for? i really dont know much about imports this will be the first import i have ever owned, if indeed i do purchase it)

MustangFreak
03-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, i have an 89 model 240 and it has the 2400 OHV 4-cylinder. Its a great car, the only problem I noticed these cars have is the fuel system. I had to completely replace the fuel rail, pump, injectors and filter. There was no dirt at all in the system, just gave out. Maybe that was just this car, but overall, when my 240 SX Turbo conversion is done, it will be one bad ass ride.

chrissa
03-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Gonthro,

With a 240SX, you have to watch out for the timing chain (very early 240's left the factory with a crap plastic chain tensioner/guide that often broke and lead the the famous "death rattle"). Start up the car and listen for a really loud, high pitched rattle coming from the front of the engine.

Also check out for any type of unstable idle. The 240 has a crap load of emmisions equipment that loves to get gummed up and stop working. It is also pretty prone to having the engine electrical wiring corrode and create crappy grounding problems. Either can be fixed, but it's a pain in the ass to track down the exact problem.

Body wise, the corners in the wheel wells are the first to go, especially right behind where the small mud flaps are.

Other than that, they are strong cars, and parts are "relatively" cheap. I've got an '89 240 thats been going strong since '93 when I picked it up. I haven't had to do anything major other than one timing chain swap last summer, and my car gets treated pretty hard under my right foot.

Chris.

kevie88
03-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by MustangFreak
I had to completely replace the fuel rail, pump, injectors and filter. There was no dirt at all in the system, just gave out.

hmm, I understand why a filter needs to be changed, and injectors occasionally need changing, but how can a fuel rail just 'give out'? All it is is a hollow aluminum tube that carries fuel to the injectors.. it's impossible for them to just 'give out'. :dunno: Fill me in here

Sounds to me like you had a bad pump, and your mechanic hosed you..

legereandrew4
03-15-2004, 04:46 PM
i wouldnt do that... to risky... might have horible internal problems, could run liek a dream... as for parting out, you could probally get rid of most the stuff, but id test drive some cars, not buy at auction.. just my oipinion though

kevie88
03-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Tell me a little about this car.. why can't you start it? will it crank over at all? what kind of shape is the body in?

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-15-2004, 05:36 PM
there gay. everyone owns one. supposedly they drift easy. they look like probes. new white trash vehicle. Bandwagons are awesome, Jump on!

RX7_FC3S
03-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9
there gay. everyone owns one. supposedly they drift easy. they look like probes. new white trash vehicle. Bandwagons are awesome, Jump on!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man, if you wanna get a 240, go ahead. I just wouldnt get one from this auction your at...

Think of the negatives... people sell cars at auctions for a reason.

africano
03-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Try to get a non-HICAS one, it's an all wheel steering system some of the higher up 240's had. It makes very hard to drift and adds unneeded weight. The engine on all of the USDM models is the KA24DE, but you prob already knew that. If your planning to do a SR20DET swap it would be in your best interest to buy a 91+ 240, since the signal to the tach is different and the power steering won't bolt up on the 89 and 90 240. Tons of aftermarket support+RWD=one great car(potentially). If you want to be different than all the ppl riding the band-wagon go to http://www.importconcern.ca and get a 180sx with a CA18DET, high-revving turbo 4 cylinder fun.:D :D :D

limecorrado
03-15-2004, 08:42 PM
i have a 1990 nissan 240sx and it is a very nice car.Very fun to drive the transmission is smooth and the Car feels Quick.I say if you can get the 240 for cheap enough i would do it,There are lots of people looking for shells or keep it and do a swap.

Mike09
03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9
Don't you own 1

africano
03-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

actually i know nothign about the car, and i dont much care for drifting... i'd love a 4 wheels steering car, i always thought they were :bigpimp:

do you plan to modify it?

crazydriver
03-15-2004, 11:54 PM
my cousin says his 240's rear slides out when he corners on wintery road condition, his a pretty safe driver (like one would except when they have a toddler inside) so i'm guessing u might wanna watch the rear when its winter time, other then that he hasn't experienced any sort of problems with his '89 240SX

limecorrado
03-16-2004, 10:55 AM
I have Never Had A problem With the Handling in the Winter With My 240sx.

chrissa
03-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by limecorrado
I have Never Had A problem With the Handling in the Winter With My 240sx.

Yeah, me neither. The 240 has a near perfect 50/50 weight split, which makes it quite predictable and stable in the snow. crazydriver, if your cousin is having trouble in the snow, tell him to get an alignment job. A screwy rear toe setting can pretty much guarentee a rear wheel drive car wanting to swap ends all the time.

Chris.

nosegrindR
03-16-2004, 01:37 PM
get a ford probe, they look the same and are made by ford, who are sick

i love ford vehicles

as spoonek9 said jump on the bandwagon, you're only cool when you do what others do.