PDA

View Full Version : Koni Yellows or KYB AGX's?

ZMan2k2
03-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Well, I'm gonna be dropping my car sometime this summer. Starting the saving process now. I've already decided on the Eibach Pro-Kit (1.4" drop), and now I have to decide on shocks/struts.

The choices I've narrowed it down to are the Koni Yellows and the KYB AGX's. Reason being I can adjust them while they are still on the car. But there are some things to consider.

KYB - Warrantied for a max. of a 40mm drop (1.5"). Would the Eibach kit be cutting it too close? Anyone have any experience with KYB struts and warranty replacements?

Koni - In order to install them on the front struts, I have to hack up the stockers, and use the Koni's as inserts. The KYB's are direct replacements.

Questions, comments, other abuse such as "why waste money on a j-body?!?!" or what have you:rofl: .

Thanks.

Weapon_R
03-15-2004, 03:36 PM
You will be FINE with the AGX's - they are excellent shock absorbers.

Koni's are fantastic, but they are very pricey. I'd personally go with the AGX's if I could find some, but I couldn't, so I went with konis.

QuasarCav
03-15-2004, 03:44 PM
I agree with weapon R, pricey but good.
A lot of guys on the J-body sites use the koni's

Good to see a new J-body, how does that ecotec run?
I've never been in one, Hear they are pretty torquey for a 2200

max_boost
03-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Koni Yellows are the real deal!!:thumbsup:

EnRich
03-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Koni Yellows man... Their awesome...

Hollywood
03-15-2004, 05:58 PM
If you would have doen a search you would have answered all your questions as this topic has been covered many times. But since I am in the typing mood I will help out this time.

I personally dislike the insirts.

Some are difficult to change settings in the rear.

And for "proper maintenence" they have to be taken off the car after the 1st month and turned upside down. Then put back on.

2000impreza
03-15-2004, 06:06 PM
i'm not of a fan of inserts either. imo they are a pain in the ass to install on some cars. have to cut, drill,...etc.. But from what i hear the koni yellows ride nicer. both agx and koni yellow are stock strut replacements, so you probably won't want to lower it too much to keep decent strut travel.

Ferio_vti
03-15-2004, 08:27 PM
I was just at Tunerworks today asking about suspension. And for Eibach Pro-Kit (as I was considering them too), Koni RED was recommended. For the application, with Pro-kits, Koni red was plenty good, and not as expensive as Koni yellows...

THREE40SEVEN
03-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Theres no contest. If you have the money, go with the Konis.

Seanith
03-16-2004, 12:20 AM
KYB AGXs are sweet shocks. I have them myself, and for the lower price you can't go wrong. Very easy to adjust, and i'm lowered ~2inchs and i haven't had a problem with them. You probably won't be able to justify spending a lot more to get the yellows unless your cars going to be at the track every weekend imo.

Weapon_R
03-16-2004, 12:25 AM
I agree - Yellows are the best, but if you are on a budget (and everyone is), the AGX is a good shock. It's a lot better than the non-adjustable (well, internally adjustable) Koni Red

Seanith
03-16-2004, 12:40 AM
yeah internally adjustable shocks are kinda bunk imo. unless you do all the work on your car yourself, it would end up costing you a lot. even if you did do the work your self it would be a pain.

ZMan2k2
03-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Cool. Thanks all. I was kinda leaning towards the AGX's, but I still wanted opinions from people who know more about this than me. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

frostyda9
03-16-2004, 05:05 PM
For the Pro Kit, KYB's would be fine....but if you want to get spendy with yellows why not drop the car a little more with the Sportlines? The yellows will handle them fine and you would probably be happier with the way the car looks and handles.

sullygully
02-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Do you guys know of any suppliers in the west( Calgary ) and how much you paid for yours.
I got my rears from tiretrends for $550(one pair, shipping, duties).
I got raped on duties, $115!!!!
So i'm sure theres got to be a cheaper route
BTW, its for a 2000 neon

WBB6
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
Do you guys know of any suppliers in the west( Calgary ) and how much you paid for yours.
I got my rears from tiretrends for $550(one pair, shipping, duties).
I got raped on duties, $115!!!!
So i'm sure theres got to be a cheaper route
BTW, its for a 2000 neon

We are a dealer for both lines!

If you are interested please email me: [email protected]

GTS Jeff
02-01-2005, 05:30 PM
so far uve received no technical advice at all, just ppl screaming the name they like more.

the most basic difference between the koni yellows and the kyb agx is that the koni yellows are adjustable for rebound only, and the compression is set. with the agx, the compression and rebound are adjusted off the same knob. the kyb gives u a bit more adjustability to match your springs better, but the main criticism of it is that in order to set your rebound high enough, the compression is also jacked superhigh, making for a rougher ride. in your case however, since ure using really soft springs, this disadvantage of kyb doesnt really apply because ull probably set the shocks to a really low setting to match the springs. in this case, the kyb agx is a much better deal since it provides what u need for a better price than the koni yellows.

if i were u, i would get neither since they are a bit too hardcore for your softie springs. i think a set of non-adjustable shocks would be perfectly fine for your application. adjustability is for tuning the shocks to match the springs, which is only a big deal for perfect handling. adjusting your shocks is NOT for adjusting stiffness, because stiffness, or body roll, is something that should be tuned with different springs or with swaybars. in your case, something like koni reds or tokico blues would be the best deal. then u can spend extra money u save on buying a set of sways or something...

Percivilla
05-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Actually some of the koni yellows are adjustable for both comp and rebound (mine are :thumbsup: ) you just have to check on their website. however i definately agree that with something not too agressive like the prokit you will be fine with with reds or tokico hp's (blue).

Just my two cents but i have heard of some quality issues with the blues.:dunno:

gpomp
05-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Percivilla
Actually some of the koni yellows are adjustable for both comp and rebound (mine are :thumbsup: ) you just have to check on their website. however i definately agree that with something not too agressive like the prokit you will be fine with with reds or tokico hp's (blue).

Just my two cents but i have heard of some quality issues with the blues.:dunno:
what's wrong with you? stop bumping old threads.

bighead2267
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
how can u find out they are comp and rebound is adjustable on the Koni?

nismown3d
06-12-2007, 07:04 AM
every single KYB shock i've owned has blown up within less than 10 000 KM's

but then again......i'm guessing you're not going to touge or drift a j-body lol

BoS_DC2
06-12-2007, 01:33 PM
then again, you're replying to a two year old thread, drifter.

i guess i'm lucky when i bought brand new kyb agx shocks/eibach sportlines for under $500. BNIB! :clap: