PDA

View Full Version : PPI/Compression+Leakdown places, pref open late or weekends

Typical_Chinese
01-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Just wanted to see if there are any shops or even a dealer that does a good PPI, maybe even a compression and leakdown test. Did a bit of searching, and saw Allmakes and Vex being recommended. Vex is a bit far though, and for both of them I'll probably have to take time off work/skip class, depending what day I go. Does Crappy Tire have compression and leakdown? Don't want to resort to CT though. Preferably open after "normal work hours", and/or weekends.

Thanks!

ShermanEF9
01-10-2016, 10:24 PM
any reason why you wish to do these? i have a compression tester im sure you could use.

Typical_Chinese
01-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Got bored looking for a fun, reliable DD and decided to look at some WRX's for fun, and knowing nothing about them (only that they could be unreliable/driven hard), I googled around a bit and the general consensus was to do a PPI with a compression+leakdown test to make sure the car's good to go!

That being said, and not just with this WRX I found on Kijiji but in general, with the past few ads I've emailed they basically stop replying after I tell them I want to take it to get inspected..

gregrego
01-15-2016, 11:30 PM
I was about to say test it yourself... but no one wants to do that to a ej25.. Just know that most WRX/STI have been driven hard. You wont get a cheap reliable wrx, they don't exist. If you want reliability for a daily, get an Acura RSX, still somewhat sporty, but very cheap.

zieg
01-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Depends on the year, but pretty much every WRX/STi model has some kind of potential for catastrophic engine/trans failure.. The guys at Vex are really good though, no other place I'd consider if I were ever buying another subaru.

Or you could look for one that's already blown up, buy it on the cheap knowing you're replacing the engine. Otherwise you're just paying full price for something that you might end up rebuilding within a couple years anyway. That's what I did with my last project car..

gregrego
01-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
Depends on the year, but pretty much every WRX/STi model has some kind of potential for catastrophic engine/trans failure.. The guys at Vex are really good though, no other place I'd consider if I were ever buying another subaru.

Or you could look for one that's already blown up, buy it on the cheap knowing you're replacing the engine. Otherwise you're just paying full price for something that you might end up rebuilding within a couple years anyway. That's what I did with my last project car..

Good points, I also wouldnt trust anyone but vex with a turbo subaru.

sr20s14zenki
01-16-2016, 02:02 PM
A leakdown will only give you a general idea of how the combustion chamber is. It could still have bottom end issues or oil pressure issues. you never know whats lurking inside a car that's been flogged.

That being said, some sort of idea of the condition of it is better than none.

Typical_Chinese
01-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of update, will be running away from the car for sure. It was a WRB bugeye, everything seemed pretty good, didn't have time to take it to VEX so just took it to my mechanic for a full inspection, basically a lot of stuff needs to be done to it, wheel bearing ball joints timing belt valve cover gaskets battery etc. ($3500ish at a shop, parts not too bad if I knew how to do my own car work). Mechanic also told me that the turbo bolts were gone or something like that, suggesting that the guy either took the "better" turbo for another car and put the stock in (which I understand), or put the stock in to sell it as stock. Engine codes also cleared recently, and oil leak was plugged up with silicon. Mechanic said basically stuff that I could fix myself and it wouldn't be too expensive for parts alone, but I know nothing about cars so I decided to let someone else buy it and fix it up themselves.

Found a good deal somewhere else with another car, getting it inspected on Monday but already I have much higher hopes for this car already. Stack of maint records and receipts, did a lot of preventative stuff, most work done at VEX.

Pretty sure the only WRX/STI I'll ever end up buying is a completely new one, that way I know it'll be clean and not bagged on

Thanks everyone!

relyt92
01-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Just buy a TL or TSX lol.

gregrego
01-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Typical_Chinese
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of update, will be running away from the car for sure. It was a WRB bugeye, everything seemed pretty good, didn't have time to take it to VEX so just took it to my mechanic for a full inspection, basically a lot of stuff needs to be done to it, wheel bearing ball joints timing belt valve cover gaskets battery etc. ($3500ish at a shop, parts not too bad if I knew how to do my own car work). Mechanic also told me that the turbo bolts were gone or something like that, suggesting that the guy either took the "better" turbo for another car and put the stock in (which I understand), or put the stock in to sell it as stock. Engine codes also cleared recently, and oil leak was plugged up with silicon. Mechanic said basically stuff that I could fix myself and it wouldn't be too expensive for parts alone, but I know nothing about cars so I decided to let someone else buy it and fix it up themselves.

Found a good deal somewhere else with another car, getting it inspected on Monday but already I have much higher hopes for this car already. Stack of maint records and receipts, did a lot of preventative stuff, most work done at VEX.

Pretty sure the only WRX/STI I'll ever end up buying is a completely new one, that way I know it'll be clean and not bagged on

Thanks everyone!

What are you ending up with?

mr2mike
02-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Typical_Chinese

More like, "it'll only be bagged on by me".
It's why people buy these cars.

Know a buddy who has one with extremely low kms and he's bragging how low the kms are for resale. I said, yeah except the kms that it has are all redline pulls right out of the parking garage. He laughed.
:devil: