PDA

View Full Version : Truck Buyers The 2017 Honda Ridgeline Is The Truck You Need

Pages : [1] 2

rage2
01-12-2016, 09:59 AM
http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2017-honda-ridgeline-detroit-naias-2016-5-550x310.jpg

http://www.beyond.ca/truck-buyers-the-2017-honda-ridgeline-is-the-truck-you-need/54666.html

Dave P
01-12-2016, 10:06 AM
Nope, it is for sure not what I need in a truck. haha

Aleks
01-12-2016, 10:07 AM
When will this be at Canadian dealers?

In the midsize segment last time this truck had way better ergonomics than Tacoma. Looks like that hasn't changed. Looking forward to checking it out.

JRSC00LUDE
01-12-2016, 10:07 AM
They did it, they managed to make fugly and boring, fuglier and comatose. Regardless of utility and city driving manners, I would NEVER buy one of these. Has the English translation of Honda been changed to "Constant disappointment"? :dunno:

rage2
01-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm not a truck guy, but if I was white, I'd buy this to hit up a tailgate party. The in bed speakers are cool, I think it uses the bed itself to create the vibrations for the sound as there are no speaker grills or anything. It's pretty damn loud.

eglove
01-12-2016, 10:13 AM
I like it a lot! Some TE37's and some BFG KO2 and :drool:

sputnik
01-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Glad to see that it actually looks like a truck and not just another Chevy Avalanche.

JRSC00LUDE
01-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm not a truck guy, but if I was white, I'd buy this to hit up a tailgate party. The in bed speakers are cool, I think it uses the bed itself to create the vibrations for the sound as there are no speaker grills or anything. It's pretty damn loud.

If you were white and over 60. Why would they take a feature that will appeal to 30 somethings and wrap it in a skin that (and yes I just checked) appeals to the 83 year old man in our office?

Also, this threw me off regarding that speaker system in the article. What does Ford have to do with this?

Speaking of tailgating, Ford demonstrated the impressive 540W 6-speaker sound system built into the bed of the truck. They cranked it up during the unveiling and let me tell you, it was LOUD!

Brent.ff
01-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Other then offering a blacked-out edition...

NOPE

no 4x4, no truck, let alone unibody

roopi
01-12-2016, 11:18 AM
It's cute.

Maxx Mazda
01-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by roopi
It's cute.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Disoblige
01-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Ew.
I'd take a Sierra over this anyday.

redline
01-12-2016, 11:27 AM
It's fine as a city run about, but a truck it is not ...

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2016, 11:28 AM
The ridge line isn't for a truck buyer, it's for someone who wants a crossover with a truck bed. My dad had a 2010 exl, he loved it, decent gas mileage, really smooth on the highway and he could throw his skis in the back.

JRSC00LUDE
01-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The ridge line isn't for a truck buyer, it's for someone who wants a crossover with a truck bed. My dad had a 2010 exl, he loved it, decent gas mileage, really smooth on the highway and he could throw his skis in the back.

That, with all the storage space, was the only thing I liked about mine. I can't seem more than a handful of younger (ie. 30-40) buyers having much interest in something so bland and pedestrian. You'd think with a full redesign they'd want to make it attact....or wait, Honda.

sputnik
01-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

50% of people who own "real" trucks would be suited just fine with a Ridgeline.

You don't need a 3/4T GMC Sierra Denali to get your mountain bike to COP.

A Ridgeline would be fine for me because I would be towing nothing more than a tent/utility trailer or hauling no more than a yard of topsoil in the box.

speedog
01-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

50% of people who own "real" trucks would be suited just fine with a Ridgeline.

You don't need a 3/4T GMC Sierra Denali to get your mountain bike to COP.

A Ridgeline would be fine for me because I would be towing nothing more than a tent/utility trailer or hauling no more than a yard of topsoil in the box.
That bolded part made me laugh because I would bet that at least 50% of the 'trucks' out there are used in this fashion or even less so.

lilmira
01-12-2016, 12:20 PM
So that's what looks like when you stitch a bed to the back of a CRV and move the wheels.

94boosted
01-12-2016, 12:42 PM
It's a FWD Minivan/Crossover with a bed. I'm thinking Tacoma and Canyon/Colorado will destroy it in sales.

benyl
01-12-2016, 12:47 PM
By the way, the box line down the side is false advertising. It is still a unibody.

HiTempguy1
01-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
They did it, they managed to make fugly and boring, fuglier and comatose. Regardless of utility and city driving manners, I would NEVER buy one of these. Has the English translation of Honda been changed to "Constant disappointment"? :dunno:

Interesting, I actually think it looks awesome. As somebody said, with the right rims/rubber/stance it would actually look pretty aggressive. Better looking than the Colorado IMO, and beyond that, it has much better interior space.

The motor is backed by an available 9 speed auto. Gets 20city/28hwy usmpg, which is damn good. Can tow 5500lbs. Has available awd. Honda reliability.

As stated, this is the truck 75% of people who own trucks need.

dirtsniffer
01-12-2016, 12:55 PM
5500 lbs is piddly.

You'd be lucky to tow a 3000 pound trailer with a small family on board.

JRSC00LUDE
01-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Interesting, I actually think it looks awesome.

To be fair, most of your political and societal positions around here are more in line with the age demographic I mentioned too so this appeal doesn't surprise me! :rofl: :D ;)

Dumbass17
01-12-2016, 01:10 PM
I see a car with a box,, where's the truck?

HiTempguy1
01-12-2016, 01:13 PM

To be fair, most of your political and societal positions around here are more in line with the age demographic I mentioned too so this appeal doesn't surprise me! :rofl: :D ;)

:thumbsup:

Skrilla
01-12-2016, 01:17 PM
While I agree that this would suit at least half if not more of people who "need" a truck, it doesn't change the fact that it looks like shit :dunno: My 1/2 ton is already pushing limits some days so this type of truck would be useless to me, but I could see a use for a freight/delivery company....again, still ugly

Aleks
01-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
5500 lbs is piddly.

You'd be lucky to tow a 3000 pound trailer with a small family on board.

Towing or payload numbers haven't been released yet.

Honda has promised best towing, payload and mileage in the segment. The segment is Tacoma, Colorado/Canyon, Frontier.

Anyone who needs to do any actual towing shouldn't be buying a midsize truck.
BTW a Ram 1500 can only tow 4100lbs with 3.21 axle in V6 trim. Max is 7150 lbs with 3.92 axle.

blownz
01-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Worst tread title ever lol

Sure a FWD minivan with a bed may be all some people need, but this still won't be a huge seller. Should sell much better than the last one though as it doesn't look completed handicapped.

Darell_n
01-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Towing or payload numbers haven't been released yet.

Honda has promised best towing, payload and mileage in the segment. The segment is Tacoma, Colorado/Canyon, Frontier.

Anyone who needs to do any actual towing shouldn't be buying a midsize truck.
BTW a Ram 1500 can only tow 4100lbs with 3.21 axle in V6 trim. Max is 7150 lbs with 3.92 axle.

Nobody owns a 1500 V6 unless it burns diesel. A basic V8 tow rating is like 10,000lbs and gets v6 mileage.

The AWD drive setup on this Honda with torque vectoring will probably be a lot of fun to terrorize the city and backroads with.

01RedDX
01-12-2016, 05:21 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
01-12-2016, 05:25 PM
It will be faster and get better mileage than my Taco, I loved how my old Pilot drove, and in turn enjoyed the Ridgeline, but the prices were very high, and I didnt like the ergonomics of the Ridgeline back in 08.

It's all any city slicker really needs, but I like being able to get on a trail and have more than a VTM locker. Low range makes a huge difference off the beaten path.

Thaco
01-12-2016, 05:41 PM
it is a step in the right direction, but still not a truck.

r3ccOs
01-13-2016, 12:06 AM
took one on a fishing trip and have to say that it was super impressive for the amount of non-heavy gear it was able to carry, and how functional or logical the interior layout is.

its awd system took on icy roads with the micheline LTX's just fine.

in the past where you would have limited payload with a 5cyl canyon/colorado or your other option was a ranger... this was not a bad option.

really its a functional crossover with a box

Masked Bandit
01-13-2016, 12:20 AM
This looks like something I would buy for my daughter...

Nah, just kidding. She wouldn't drive it either. :D

Aleks
01-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

Nobody owns a 1500 V6 unless it burns diesel. A basic V8 tow rating is like 10,000lbs and gets v6 mileage.

The AWD drive setup on this Honda with torque vectoring will probably be a lot of fun to terrorize the city and backroads with.

I was just comparing V6 gas ratings. Ridgeline will probably tow right in line with all its competition.

As far as Ram V8 tow ratings (and other domestics) their marketing is excellent as they flash big numbers on TV with bunch of small print. You have to get the highest rear to tow that much. If you don't pay attention when ordering you could end up with a crew Ram V8 8 speed 4x4 with a sub 8,000lb tow rating.

b_t
01-13-2016, 09:03 AM
What crash law changed to make it so every midsized truck is fucking ugly these days? The side profiles are always too tall. Every truck in this segment is absolutely hideous now. Taco, Canyon, Colorado, Ridgeline. All four of them look like awkward Martian abortions

I actually like the fascia and rear of this truck more than taco/canyon/colorado but it's just too goddamn tall. It reminds me of an 80 year old man with his pants up to his nipples

Which is too bad, the Ridgeline has by far the most modern powertrain and is the best fit for how I actually use my truck, but these vehicles are so aggressively ugly I'll just be driving my last gen Tacoma until I finally cave and get a hugely oversized truck I don't need like all the "macho" idiots in this thread

Gripenfelter
01-13-2016, 09:08 AM
FWD? Truck not found. :nut:

Darkane
01-13-2016, 09:14 AM
It's not really a truck we all get that. Think of it as a TL type S with a box. If this came manual I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hell you can tell Honda is trying to put some driving pleasure into this vehicle by offering torque vectoring and targetting best in class acceleration.

No mention of tow rating. Hope it's 6500+.

RealJimmyJames
01-13-2016, 09:19 AM
The truck most people need is not a truck. I agree.

dirtsniffer
01-13-2016, 09:44 AM
It's all about payload.

sputnik
01-13-2016, 09:54 AM
It's all about payload.

No it isn't.

Not everyone is hauling around a 10,000 lb trailer or driving 120km/h down washed out logging roads like truck commercials would have you believe.

Some people just want a utility vehicle that gives them a place to put their camping gear, a couple of bikes or some bulky over sized crap they need to move without having to deal with roof racks or folding down the back seats and still get decent gas mileage.

dirtsniffer
01-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Guess I wasn't clear but I was referring to towing.

But even so, I doubt this truck will have a much bigger payload than a Tacoma. Tacoma payload is 950lbs. I would exceed this with 3 friends and all our camping gear. Even without a trailer.

I was originally going to buy a Tacoma but I went with the 1500 because it was actually the same price when you factored in Toyota's finance interest rate.

88CRX
01-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by b_t
the Ridgeline has by far the most modern powertrain and is the best fit for how I actually use my truck, but these vehicles are so aggressively ugly I'll just be driving my last gen Tacoma until I finally cave and get a hugely oversized truck I don't need like all the "macho" idiots in this thread

Amen. haha.

At least someone is willing to admit they need/want a truck to carry around a bike or fishing gear or whatever and doesn't need a massive oversized truck for 99.9% city/asphalt driving.

sputnik
01-13-2016, 10:42 AM
I doubt this truck will have a much bigger payload than a Tacoma. Tacoma payload is 950lbs.

1600 lbs for the 2017 Ridgeline.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/01/2017-honda-ridgeline-midsize-pickup-officially-unveiled-210886

Redlined_8000
01-13-2016, 10:43 AM
It really does look like a Odyssey with a box lol.

That said however.... Ya I agree. For the average truck guy this will probably work just fine. But again.... For the price of this you can probably join the Beyond GMC Sierra club, which is a superior truck to this.

Aleks
01-13-2016, 11:55 AM

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/01/2017-honda-ridgeline-midsize-pickup-officially-unveiled-210886

So basically right in line with every 1/2t short box truck if not more.

killramos
01-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
It really is an Odyssey with a box lol.

ftfy

No idea why someone wouldnt buy a tacoma over it

rizfarmer
01-13-2016, 12:21 PM
It really does look like a Odyssey with a box lol.

That said however.... Ya I agree. For the average truck guy this will probably work just fine. But again.... For the price of this you can probably join the Beyond GMC Sierra club, which is a superior truck to this.

This thread is doomed to run in circles for eternity. Full size half tons are not in the competitive class of this vehicle, other than price point. And if you are simply going to cross-shop on price, why dont we throw in a bunch of other unrelated vehicles to the conversation- see any "what should I buy thread"

Sure, a Sierra is a superior "truck" from the towing/off road capability view point.

The Honda is superior in likely every other way from a daily driver standpoint, unless you just like driving a truck in which case you don't care about this vehicle.

This car is pretty compelling to those who understand what it is, and what it is not

Redlined_8000
01-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

This thread is doomed to run in circles for eternity. Full size half tons are not in the competitive class of this vehicle, other than price point. And if you are simply going to cross-shop on price, why dont we throw in a bunch of other unrelated vehicles to the conversation- see any "what should I buy thread"

Sure, a Sierra is a superior "truck" from the towing/off road capability view point.

The Honda is superior in likely every other way from a daily driver standpoint, unless you just like driving a truck in which case you don't care about this vehicle.

This car is pretty compelling to those who understand what it is, and what it is not

What it is.... Is a waste of money. lol. Il take my Sierra.

Xtrema
01-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by killramos

ftfy

Fanboy product. It's someone already drives an Accord and like the dealer relationship he/she has and doesn't need something better.

dirtsniffer
01-13-2016, 02:48 PM

How are the two not related?
Are they both trucks? yes
Are they in the same price category? yes
Why wouldn't you compare the two?

I don't see how you can possibly say that the Honda is superior in every other way. The vehicle is not even out yet.
Power?
Interior space?
Styling?
features?
4wd performance?

There is a reason that full size trucks outsell midsize 10 to 1.

http://i64.tinypic.com/6qz76t.jpg

Disoblige
01-13-2016, 02:49 PM

What it is.... Is a waste of money. lol. Il take my Sierra.
Hahahaha

b_t
01-13-2016, 03:14 PM

The reason is that people are stupid and buy shit they don't need all the time

It's not as big of a deal now that gas prices have dropped, but no matter how manufacturers try to inflate their fuel mileage numbers on the fullsize trucks in actuality you are burning a few hundred more liters of gas per year. You could buy some nice shit with the money you save going midsized vs full

roopi
01-13-2016, 03:22 PM
What's the problem with driving a full time truck and not hauling shit around 24/7? Pretty sure all the supercars owned on this forum are just getting most of you from point A to B which could be done with a Sonata (or whatever is equivilent to the shitbox Honda truck posted in this thread).

Mitsu3000gt
01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Looks like a good truck for what 99% of people I know with trucks use them for (commuting, inner-city driving, sitting high). Probably put together better and more reliable than the average truck as well. Probably good resale value. A workhorse it is not though (not that I think it's trying to be).

HiTempguy1
01-13-2016, 03:37 PM

ftfy

Because tacomas are TRULY useless, gutless, pieces of garbage?

They have good build quality and decent space, but other than that are completely useless. People are calling the people who would be a ridgeline fanboi's, anyone who buys a tacoma is not doing it for function.

And lets be clear, I daily drive a duramax and tow on a fairly regular basis over the mountains. I just find the hate for an extremely functional vehicle illogical.

riander5
01-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Fuck that's ugly. Regardless of how well suited it may be to your lifestyle can you drive something ugly AF? Tacoma / Colorado / canyon are so much nicer

b_t
01-13-2016, 03:55 PM

They have good build quality and decent space, but other than that are completely useless. People are calling the people who would be a ridgeline fanboi's, anyone who buys a tacoma is not doing it for function.

And lets be clear, I daily drive a duramax and tow on a fairly regular basis over the mountains. I just find the hate for an extremely functional vehicle illogical.

I don't think you know what the words truly, completely, or useless mean. This is surprising, they are fairly basic words most people come to understand when they are in kindergarten if not before

you are right though, I never realized before that the bed on a Tacoma is actually just there for appearances. if you look into the back of one, you just see frame rails, your underslung spare tire, and the ground

maybe that's why I get such good mileage

killramos
01-13-2016, 03:58 PM

:rolleyes:

Yea fuck those people who realize they don't need 10,000lbs of towing capacity and a V8 to carry aluminum ladders, fibreglass insulation, and tools around between work sites. To pick up the occasional large object that doesnt fit inside an SUV. Don't they see its just plain irresponsible to drive a smaller, cheaper, more reliable, more fuel efficient vehicle around the city when the Alberta oil business is in a recession.

They should be responsible citizens and daily a 22 foot long lifted Douche-a-Max to get their groceries and take their kids to school like a normal Albertan.

:thumbsup:

talk about fanboi's holy shit :nut:

dirtsniffer
01-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by b_t

maybe that's why I get such good mileage

What sort of economy do you get?

..... to drive a smaller, cheaper, more reliable, more fuel efficient vehicle around the city when the Alberta oil business is in a recession.
:

How is smaller more responsible? why don't you have a 228 instead of a 235?

I got my silverado for the same price as a tacoma

AFAIK GM trucks are reliable.

killramos
01-13-2016, 04:20 PM
I am not telling you what kind of car to drive.

I am saying hating on 1/4 tons, or Tacomas for that matter, because they aren't as good as capable as your HD rated truck, capability that perhaps the majority of Tacoma owners ( let alone HD truck owners ) don't need or want, is stupid and you are acting like a complete douche bag.

I have a *35i over a *28i because i wanted the greater performance. That doesn't mean i make fun of people who have a 28i or call them useless if someone makes a different decision I do.

I made the reliability comments specifically targetting HiTemp's Dmax. Which i think most would say is far less reliable, and expensive for that matter, than a Tacoma.

01RedDX
01-13-2016, 04:42 PM

b_t
01-13-2016, 04:49 PM
What sort of economy do you get?

my truck gets better real-world numbers than ANY fullsized truck's rated EPA numbers, except for the F150 with the tiniest motor and 2WD... and comparing those EPA numbers to road tests and my personal experience, they are off pretty much 10-15% right across the board.

and I drive my truck hard. I try not to but the truck is too fun to drive on account of the 6 speed manual & great heel-toe pedals. one feature no fullsize has ever had, or ever will have. I would guess if I drove a domestic this way I'd get 10mpg or less but I still eke out 17 or so in 4WD winter driving

and this is my old ass '07 with an ancient V6 in it compared to brand new trucks. the Ridgeline with its actually modern motor and 9 speed will absolutely crush any fullsize and still haul 99% of a city dweller's typical loads

JRSC00LUDE
01-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by b_t
my truck gets better real-world numbers than ANY fullsized truck's rated EPA numbers, except for the F150 with the tiniest motor and 2WD... and comparing those EPA numbers to road tests and my personal experience, they are off pretty much 10-15% right across the board.

I've tracked 20,658 km in the past year on my Tacoma with Fuelly and I've averaged 14.6L/100km with 43% of those KM being City driving. Not great but, not bad. Best highway trip was out to BC at 11.6. I am pretty sure my Ridgeline did a bit better but not much.

Personally I liked the idea of a Ridgeline from the utility aspect, I just hated that you couldn't take it offroad if you wanted to with any kind of real confidence. And it was ugly as fuck. That's why I have a Tacoma now, it'll go where I need it too the once in a blue moon that it has to and it's NOT full size. I haul bikes/dirtbike and snow/hockey gear. I might tow a 14 or 16' aluminum fishing boat. That's it.

I still like the idea of the new Ridgeline and the versatility but I could not/would not drive that ugly thing.

I'm almost shocked that they made it so pathetic. Except I look at every other grandpa car they've designed since 2001 and then I'm not anymore.

dirtsniffer
01-13-2016, 05:12 PM
I've only had my silverado 5,000 km but I have averaged 13.4 l/100 km using Fuelio. 75% city. and it is still new so economy will likely improver over the next 5000 km. Best I've done is 10 L/100km on a trip to Drayton, using cruise at 120-130.

94boosted
01-13-2016, 05:14 PM

As much as I don't like this thing I'll be the first to admit that a 1600lb payload capacity is pretty impressive.

I've only had my silverado 5,000 km but I have averaged 13.4 l/100 km using Fuelio. 75% city. and it is still new so economy will likely improver over the next 5000 km. Best I've done is 10 L/100km on a trip to Drayton, using cruise at 120-130.

JRSC00LUDE I was going to say 14.6L/100km combined in a Tacoma doesn't seem that good. I'm getting 15.5L/100km in my Sierra all city driving.

JRSC00LUDE
01-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
JRSC00LUDE I was going to say 14.6L/100km combined in a Tacoma doesn't seem that good. I'm getting 15.5L/100km in my Sierra all city driving.

It isn't, it's bad. :rofl:

When my buddy and I go to the lake I use more fuel than him, he's got a hemi Ram.

b_t
01-13-2016, 05:21 PM
14.6 combined seems very low to me

my last tank was 14.4 L/100km all city 4WD driving, warming the truck up in the cold. but my truck is just an extended cab, not a double. and iirc the newer Tacomas are heavier as well

but damn dude something's wrong with your truck. check the hubs, my mileage drops pretty significantly any time one of them starts wearing out

JRSC00LUDE
01-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by b_t
14.6 combined seems very low to me

my last tank was 14.4 L/100km all city 4WD driving, warming the truck up in the cold. but my truck is just an extended cab, not a double. and iirc the newer Tacomas are heavier as well

but damn dude something's wrong with your truck. check the hubs, my mileage drops pretty significantly any time one of them starts wearing out

It's a 2015 double cab, that's been the mileage since new. :dunno:

94boosted
01-13-2016, 05:34 PM

It isn't, it's bad. :rofl:

When my buddy and I go to the lake I use more fuel than him, he's got a hemi Ram.

Ouch man

rizfarmer
01-13-2016, 06:22 PM

How are the two not related?
Are they both trucks? yes
Are they in the same price category? yes

I don't see how you can possibly say that the Honda is superior in every other way. The vehicle is not even out yet.
Power?
Interior space?
Styling?
features?
4wd performance?

Because one is a FWD unibody pilot/odyssey/crv with a box that would be the most pathetic 5th wheel hauling off-road 4x4 machine ever? Oh wait, that's not what it's intended for.

get past the "why would I buy this p.o.s. over a half ton attitude" because in that mindset you would never choose the Ridgeline nor was it intended for you

:nut:

Aleks
01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
For those calling the Ridgeline ugly and Tacoma good looking.

You think this looks better? Or is it just because it's higher up off the ground.

https://file.kbb.com/kbb/images/content/editorial/slideshow/2016-toyota-tacoma-unveiled/2016-toyota-tacoma-04-600-001.jpg

ftfy

Guessing here based on driving previous gens and these press releases:

Ridgeline will have,
Better:
fuel econ
ride quality
power
interior quality
interior space

About the same:
payload
towing
reliability
price

Worse:
No Manual
Offroad Capability
Bed is 8" shorter compared to Auto Tacoma
Non manly looks (responses here)
resale value

speedog
01-14-2016, 10:07 AM

Probably the best statement made in this thread.

It's kind of like the mini-van argument that's gets regularly beat to death in these forums, most people who are anti this type or anti that of vehicle usually have pretty good sized blinders on.

speedog
01-14-2016, 10:08 AM

Probably the best statement made in this thread.

It's kind of like the mini-van argument that's gets regularly beat to death in these forums, most people who are anti this type or anti that of vehicle usually have pretty good sized blinders on.

schocker
01-14-2016, 10:40 AM
If I needed to do hauling once and a while and wanted something smaller and reliable this is probably what I would get :dunno:

CLiVE
01-14-2016, 11:06 AM
I had a ridgeline for 4 yrs, and now have a F150.

The ridgeline is a great "gateway truck". You will figure out quickly that you either need a truck, or you don't. Your next vehicle will then be more truck, or back to an SUV.

The ridgeline was nice enough to drive albeit underpowered. It was enough truck most of the time (until it wasn't). Thing is, even the smaller jobs that the ridgeline could do, are so much easier now with the F150. I find the F150 just as easy to drive in the city, and easier to park than the ridgeline (F150 has better visibility, sensors, cameras, etc.)

Plus my F150 gets better fuel mileage than my ridgeline ever did. Hope this next gen ridge is an improvement.

blubs
01-14-2016, 01:41 PM
We had a Ridgeline for a number of years, and honestly was one of the more useful truck we ever had. Don't get me wrong its not going to out tow 1/2 tons, but believe me that truck got used for more ski trips then you could imagine. Having the locked underbed storage was awesome, when camping we used to put all of our generators, chainsaws etc all under it and never worry about things getting stolen. And was a pretty sweet way to get alcohol past McLean Creek fish cops on May long weekends. Put lots of dirt bikes in the box of that thing too.

Again do I think its the best truck for everyone here? Not a chance, but it was one of the few pickup trucks that my mother would drive at the time which was more important then anything. In all the years we had it we never had an single thing go wrong with it either.

Just designed very different then most people here have a use for, so yes, I can see where they are marketing it towards. And for those that say it can't tow anything..... And yes, sometimes these were close to/more its capacity.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/blubbles/19071_1329733361761_5349718_n_zps4poxwglv.jpg

Towing the John Deere 950.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/blubbles/563956_4539968135624_776218723_n_zps2jateitg.jpg

Heavy load of solid fir wood from an old building downtown

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/blubbles/208461_1994698865483_7274727_n_zps40crjvgd.jpg

Towing the old Allis back from Sask with a 72" blower on the rear.

Sykes
01-14-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm probably the guy that the Ridgeline is marketed to:

- 34 years old, married
- 3 kids (5, 3, and 5-months),
- homeowner of a home that needs work and renos (we live in a sweet century home @ 109 years)
- Car guy that does the majority of work on his vehicles (daily & project)

The Ridgeline ticks all the boxes I'm looking for in a daily driver because:

- I can comfortably install 3 carseats in the back to haul my kids
- It's comfortable, which means my wife can ride in it without getting a sore back (she has scoliosis which amplifies this issue)
- It's got AWD (bonus points for torque vectoring) which is something I want, especially for navigating the winters here in southern MB.
- It has a bed to haul car parts, engines, Home Depot, furniture, etc.
- In-bed trunk is super useful

For a long while, I've been contemplating getting a Subaru of some sort simply for the added peace of mind of a solid AWD system when driving my daughter to school (highway commute), but I don't feel like it's a good enough reason to justify the purchase (current car is manual FWD on winter tires and handles things like a champ). We're also looking at replacing our CRV with a van, but then we'd lose the height and AWD that the CRV offers. And lastly, I'd like a truck, except that I don't want to commit to full-blown truck ownership, because it's a truck (does that make sense?)

So it looks like the Ridgeline is the perfect fusion of all 3 of these things for me. I will for sure be taking a hard look at it when the time comes to pull the trigger on the van.

dirtsniffer
01-14-2016, 04:15 PM
sienna can come in awd FYI

Disoblige
01-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Hahaha, love the article. Most of it is true.

http://jalopnik.com/if-the-honda-ridgeline-fails-its-because-pickup-truck-b-1752719068

And this brings us back to the problem with the Ridgeline. It seems comfortable. It looks good. It has a roomy interior. It has a powerful V6. It has a large bed that beats most competitors. But is that enough for truck owners? Hell no! Most pickup owners will look at the Ridgeline and laugh, as they cruise around in their big, manly, full-size, V8-powered trucks, getting 12 miles per gallon because occasionally they have to carry a chair.

dirtsniffer
01-14-2016, 04:27 PM
This whole thing of what people need is a bullshit argument. people always buy what they want in every market except for entry level. Who actually needs a performance or luxury car? No one.

The whole industry is obviously about wants or we would all drive cheap mid-size vehicles.

Disoblige
01-14-2016, 04:30 PM
^^ But I think the point is that it's more amplified with truck drivers.

dirtsniffer
01-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Do you think that's because some try to justify wants as needs where most buyers realize they are wants?

Sykes
01-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Do you think that's because some try to justify wants as needs where most buyers realize they are wants?

Or it's a matter of keeping up with the Joneses: what people think is a want is actually neither a want OR need, but rather have (or aspire to have) in order to fit in and be part of a group?

rage2
01-14-2016, 06:11 PM
It's a penis size thing. That's why you don't see black guys drive trucks.

dirtsniffer
01-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Ya but I don't see Asian guys driving them either.

BokCh0y
01-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
it is a step in the right direction, but still not a truck.

THIS.

And what everyone else says it being a truck they'd buy for their daughter.

Not bad looking though, but definitely not a truck.

Aleks
01-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Sykes
I'm probably the guy that the Ridgeline is marketed to:

- 34 years old, married
- 3 kids (5, 3, and 5-months),
- homeowner of a home that needs work and renos (we live in a sweet century home @ 109 years)
- Car guy that does the majority of work on his vehicles (daily & project)

The Ridgeline ticks all the boxes I'm looking for in a daily driver because:

- I can comfortably install 3 carseats in the back to haul my kids
- It's comfortable, which means my wife can ride in it without getting a sore back (she has scoliosis which amplifies this issue)
- It's got AWD (bonus points for torque vectoring) which is something I want, especially for navigating the winters here in southern MB.
- It has a bed to haul car parts, engines, Home Depot, furniture, etc.
- In-bed trunk is super useful

For a long while, I've been contemplating getting a Subaru of some sort simply for the added peace of mind of a solid AWD system when driving my daughter to school (highway commute), but I don't feel like it's a good enough reason to justify the purchase (current car is manual FWD on winter tires and handles things like a champ). We're also looking at replacing our CRV with a van, but then we'd lose the height and AWD that the CRV offers. And lastly, I'd like a truck, except that I don't want to commit to full-blown truck ownership, because it's a truck (does that make sense?)

So it looks like the Ridgeline is the perfect fusion of all 3 of these things for me. I will for sure be taking a hard look at it when the time comes to pull the trigger on the van.

Get a truck and a van, problem solved :rofl:

But seriously, we have 3 kids too, 1 in booster and 2 in front facing seats and it's a royal PITA to put them in the back of the Tundra compared to a van even with limo like room back there.

riander5
01-15-2016, 09:02 AM
I agree it is a good truck and probably ticks tons of boxes - but the old model was so much better looking

Maybe the used market will get a bump haha

rage2
01-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Ya but I don't see again guys driving them either.
We have Mercedes and BMW to make our dicks look bigger. :rofl:

viff3r
01-15-2016, 09:44 AM
I can't wait to buy one of these and drive around all like
http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1545/15455474/2926016-4443975884-hater.gif

It's funny how so many of you are concerned with identifying this truck as "not a truck". Not knowing the official definition of a truck, I'd say this Ridgeline (and the previous gen) is pretty trucky.

HiTempguy1
01-15-2016, 12:14 PM

I am saying hating on 1/4 tons, or Tacomas for that matter, because they aren't as good as capable as your HD rated truck, capability that perhaps the majority of Tacoma owners ( let alone HD truck owners ) don't need or want, is stupid and you are acting like a complete douche bag.

Your reading comprehension is poor. At no point did I in anyway, shape, or form compare the direct utility aspects of an HD truck to a 1/4 ton. What I pointed out is that I do (and always have) drive functional trucks. The Dmax is what I require. As a truck. The tacoma, on the other hand, has zero redeeming qualities as a truck doing truck things, besides being fairly reliable and having a bed. Something the ridgeline does MUCH better in this regard.

[quote]
I made the reliability comments specifically targetting HiTemp's Dmax. Which i think most would say is far less reliable, and expensive for that matter, than a Tacoma.

Duramax's throughout the ages have been very reliable overall. But as mentioned, a comparison between the Dmax and Tacoma was not the point of my post.

Tacomas are useless trucks compared to other's in their (1/4 ton and 1/2 ton) field. They get abysmal mpg (worse than 1/2 tons), they have poor tow ratings, and poor payload ratings. They are the epitome of a style accessory; people buy them because they look cool, not because they are useful.

So don't blather on about how awesome taco's are, when they really aren't. :guns:

CLiVE
01-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Truck buyers want a truck that will meet their needs - and more. It is never fun to tow/haul at or near the limit.

A truck with more capability just makes the easy towing/hauling jobs that much easier. My ridgeline was a good truck, and did everything I need - but struggled at times. Haven't had any issues with the F150, or exceeded the limits (yet).

I hesitated upgrading to the F150 as I thought i would
1) miss the trunk
2) miss the awd
3) miss the reliability
4) didn't want a larger truck to drive/park in the city

Don't miss the trunk or anything about the ridge. More than enough extra space in the bed, and under the seats in the F150 as compared to the ridge.

Don't miss the awd. The RWD with traction control (and a bit of weight in the bed in winter) handles fine 90% of the time. And have 4wd when I need it.

Haven't had any reliability issues with the Ford yet....? and find the F150 easier to drive and park, partially due to the backup sensor / camera system. Also way better visibility than the ridgeline.

I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ridgeline to anyone - we just outgrew it. Add 2 kids, dog(s), camping gear, bikes, trailer, etc.

dirtsniffer
01-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2

We have Mercedes and BMW to make our dicks look bigger. :rofl:

ahah damn swipe type on my phone got the better of me.

dirtsniffer
01-15-2016, 12:40 PM

So don't blather on about how awesome taco's are, when they really aren't. :guns:

They are awesome off road machines

heavyD
01-15-2016, 01:00 PM
A few guys at work have Ridgelines and over the years I have never, ever seen anything in the back whereas the guys with real trucks from time to time have something in the back. They are cars for city dwellers who want to pretend they own a pickup truck. IMO they aren't a bad thing as at least they are more fuel efficient than full size trucks to which there are way too much of in this city.

gpomp
01-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Tacomas are useless trucks compared to other's in their (1/4 ton and 1/2 ton) field. They get abysmal mpg (worse than 1/2 tons), they have poor tow ratings, and poor payload ratings. They are the epitome of a style accessory; people buy them because they look cool, not because they are useful. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
01-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Tacomas are useless trucks compared to other's in their (1/4 ton and 1/2 ton) field. They get abysmal mpg (worse than 1/2 tons), they have poor tow ratings, and poor payload ratings. They are the epitome of a style accessory; people buy them because they look cool, not because they are useful.

Well that's just like everything else posted - an opinion. Considering I had a Ridgeline and turfed it for a Tacoma I have to disagree (minus the shitty mileage). They both have different strengths and weaknesses but for me the Tacoma is a better fit, I do miss the utility of the under bed storage space and the additional space beneath the back seat in the Ridgeline but that is the only way it served me better.

I still like the idea of the Ridgeline as a family runabout, it fits the bill well, but I can't get behind the styling. It's a thorough disappointment to me, huge swing and miss. I'll never buy another one till I'm over 60 if they keep that up.

EDIT - I should add that I would think I am in the exact target market for both of these vehicles. There is nothing I do, or see myself doing, that necessitates having a full size truck. If it wasn't for my desire to do occasional off-roading, that I know the Ridgeline can't handle based on having owned one, some of the utility features of the Ridgeline would make it a clear winner IF it wasn't sofaking ugly.

killramos
01-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Your reading comprehension is poor. At no point did I in anyway, shape, or form compare the direct utility aspects of an HD truck to a 1/4 ton. What I pointed out is that I do (and always have) drive functional trucks. The Dmax is what I require. As a truck. The tacoma, on the other hand, has zero redeeming qualities as a truck doing truck things, besides being fairly reliable and having a bed. Something the ridgeline does MUCH better in this regard.

Duramax's throughout the ages have been very reliable overall. But as mentioned, a comparison between the Dmax and Tacoma was not the point of my post.

Lets just toss out there exactly what you said for a minute

So when you call a truck truly useless that is not you making a comment on it's utility?

You say they have zero redeeming qualities? But even you say they have good build quality and decent space. Certainly far better build quality than your GM.

And I can't say i have every known someone with a duramax who didn't have it in the shop 2-3 times a year for one problem or another. So I'm going to take your "fairly reliable" remark with a grain of salt :rolleyes:

You seem to have some pretty specific ideas of what people should be using their trucks for. You like to haul things over mountains with yours, good for you. The average truck driver uses it to bring big screen tv's home from Costco so they can watch duck dynasty and football games. Something a Tacoma does equally well to ANY class or duty rating of pickup truck.

I know you seem to find this difficult to wrap your head around but SOME PEOPLE do different things with their vehicles than you do! Shocking huh!

The average person has no need for crazy payload or tow ratings to drive into the mountains with camping gear ( cause real men use tents, not toy haulers ) for a weekend out of town. To go skiing in the winter and have a bit of extra clearance and a durable place to toss their gear. To bring some large ikea furniture home from the warehouse. To launch a seadoo into a lake. To take their dog to the park.

And they can do all this with an admittedly ( by you) stylish, reliable product that is cheap to fix and gets very reasonable gas mileage?

Instead of driving around a McHalfton or an "IDriveToOilLeases-HD Diesel.

If i was in the market for a pickup, and I am not because that is actually something I have ZERO use for, i would definitely be buying a 1/4 ton. And Probably a Tacoma. Or maybe even a Ridgeline if i could get around how it looks.

You just need to get over yourself bud. I have never met a more self defensive person than the average Alberta truck owner.

dirtsniffer
01-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Why would you definitely buy a midsize? I think you have a very strong opinion for how much you know about the truck market.

I can't really speak to the ridgeline but I was originally going to buy a Tacoma and here was my experience. I go camping around 8-10 times a year. currently I have a tent and I am fucking tired of sleeping on the ground. We are going to get a small travel trailer next year when we can afford one. Probably around 5000 lbs. We are also going to upgrade houses next year and I would like something that can haul materials. Also drive to sites around once a month.

All of these things could have been done with a midsize, certainly.

It was going to cost me around 42k for a 2016 Taco at about 3.9 interest for 5 years. So around 45k total purchase price.

Benefits of the Tacoma

limited slip differential
projector headlights
fake (ish) leather seating

I ended up buying a silverado 1500 for 45k OTD and here are the benefits I saw that swayed me.

More powerful engine
Will handle a 5000 lb trailer better
remote start built into a phone app
auto locking rear diff
bigger box
nicer infotainment system
integrated trailer brake
more interior space and more comfortable seating position
no worse on fuel

Now you will likely say that I actually need these benefits on a rare occasion, but I didn't actually find that the Tacoma drove any nicer than the Chevy, and for the same price why wouldn't I pick the one with more features that I wanted?