PDA

View Full Version : Telus Raising Plan Prices... Mobile & Interenets

ipeefreely
01-20-2016, 12:08 AM
Telus Raising Plan Prices... Mobile & Internets

As with other carriers, Telus’s price increases applies to all provinces except Quebec, Saskatchewan and Manitoba where, due to increased competition from regional incumbents Videotron, SaskTel and MTS respectively, prices remain considerably lower.

Telus also plans to match Rogers and Bell in weakening the attraction for bring-your-own-device (BYOD) customers by raising the price of base service $10. For example, a customer that purchases an unlocked Nexus 5X from Google and signs up for a call plan with unlimited nationwide calling will now pay $50 per month instead of $40. Fortunately, that price is still $5 cheaper than what Bell and Rogers plan to charge for the same price tier. mobilesyrup.com (http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/01/15/telus-and-koodo-raising-plan-prices-by-5-weakening-byod-benefits/)

Starting on February 1, 2016, the monthly rate for some TELUS High Speed Internet legacy plans will increase.telus (http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/optik-tv-service-updates)

I'm hopping my wife can lock in a 2 year mobile plan before Thursday as her plan expires in Februray....:banghead:

pheoxs
01-20-2016, 12:26 AM
That first line basically sums up why we need more competition here... Wonder how long it'll be before Shaw follows suit. Didn't their last increase promise they wouldn't raise rates until at least the spring or something?

Thaco
01-20-2016, 07:25 AM
no different than the big 3 in mobility ganging up for an across the board increase. biggest price fixing market there is, but somehow its ok...

nzwasp
01-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Its pretty shit that they tell us that high speed internet prices will increase feb 1 but not say which plans and by how much.

I believe shaw had two increases last year, can't imagine it will be long until they increase it again.

schocker
01-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Its pretty shit that they tell us that high speed internet prices will increase feb 1 but not say which plans and by how much.

I believe shaw had two increases last year, can't imagine it will be long until they increase it again.
Yeah, January and August. They are holding those rates until Summer 2016. My bundle is getting expensive so I will probably end up cutting out cable or switching to the pick and choose in March, and then switch home phone to ooma or something.

spike98
01-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp

It says right in the release that they will tell you if you rate is going up in your Jan bill.

Additionally, if you pay the bill, i think that is you agreeing to the rate change. You should be able to cancel penalty free if you do not agree to the rate change as well.

403ep3
01-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by spike98

It says right in the release that they will tell you if you rate is going up in your Jan bill.

Additionally, if you pay the bill, i think that is you agreeing to the rate change. You should be able to cancel penalty free if you do not agree to the rate change as well.

really? I need to call them now then lol

spike98
01-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

really? I need to call them now then lol

By injecting changes of the ToS into the bill or at least notifying you of changes to it, you essentially agree to the change of the terms of the contract.

IANL, but changes to the contract require mutual agreement. I have gotten out of a cell phone contracts using this when they changed the 911 fee's a while back.

Canmorite
01-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Just cut Shaw cable today, but somehow their internet 60 plan is $93/month :eek:

schocker
01-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Just cut Shaw cable today, but somehow their internet 60 plan is $93/month :eek:
Yah, then you tell them telus is $93 for 100 and get them to give you a discount :rofl:

spike98
01-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Yah, then you tell them telus is $93 for 100 and get them to give you a discount :rofl:

Paying $49 for telus 100...

schocker
01-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Paying $49 for telus 100...
Yes while on a discount term though just like shaw does. Only 500gb though I see while shaw still doesn't care about bandwidth.

J.M.
01-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by schocker

fuck this lol never worked for me :rofl: :rofl:

speedog
01-20-2016, 06:00 PM
From their web sites...

Shaw 60 - regular price $93/month, 450Gb data transfer, up to 60Gbps speed.

TELUS 50 - regular price $78/month, 400Gb data transfer, up to 50Gbps speed.

Now we have TELUS 50 fiber at home and it has always been consistently around 55Gbps - is Shaw competitive in this sense for speed or are there issues at some times.

Not going to bother with bundle pricing as that just skews everything. Shaw apparently is doing nothing about going over the monthly limit but the fact that it's mentioned means it's probably coming just like TELUS did.

So considering the above, is the Shaw plan above worth $15 a month more?

schocker
01-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by speedog
From their web sites...

Now we have TELUS 50 fiber at home and it has always been consistently around 55Gbps - is Shaw competitive in this sense for speed or are there issues at some times.

Not going to bother with bundle pricing as that just skews everything. Shaw apparently is doing nothing about going over the monthly limit but the fact that it's mentioned means it's probably coming just like TELUS did.

Shaw/telus I thought always depend on the area, some areas have bad shaw, some have bad telus.

I have BB60 and I generally get around 65-67 Mbps which is nice. Went over 700gb last month and never heard a peep, but now it never reset for the month so I am approaching 1tb :rofl:

eblend
01-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by speedog
From their web sites...

Damn, and here I thought I was satisfied with my 50Mbps connection, but Telus and Shaw both offering Gbps already! Damn, home internet faster then most internet backbones!!!

If I were you, I would stick with Telus and pay $15 if you want unlimited. You will get better upload speed with Telus, which comes in handy depending on what you do.

speedog
01-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Oops.

Env-Consultant
01-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ipeefreely
Telus Raising Plan Prices... Mobile & Internets

Internet.

Internets is something I'd expect my grandma to say.

It's like yelling OFFSIDES! while watching a hockey game. Just pluralizing things for the fun of it!
:dunno:

403ep3
02-02-2016, 09:59 AM
I have Telus Optik and Internet 15..

Any idea if I am able to cancel my internet and still have optik work? I have to keep the stupid cable because I signed a contract w/ the tv.

I've read online that you can, but has anyone done this? Looking at going with shaw for internet.

tha_bandit
02-02-2016, 10:10 AM
in laws have been on tv and home phone without internet for the last year, it can be done

pheoxs
02-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I have Telus Optik and Internet 15..

Any idea if I am able to cancel my internet and still have optik work? I have to keep the stupid cable because I signed a contract w/ the tv.

I've read online that you can, but has anyone done this? Looking at going with shaw for internet.

If you don't want the cable you can always cancel and just paid the remainder of the 'gift'

I.E. if it was a 400$ TV on a 3 year term, you would have to pay a cancellation fee of 11$ per month remaining.

It may seem like a waste but if you're cable bill is 100$ a month it's probably cheaper in the long run than keeping something you don't want.

403ep3
02-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info. If I wasn't paying $133 for the shit I get then I wouldn't care so much lol

Mitsu3000gt
02-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

I pay $106/mo after tax with no discounts or promotions for Internet 120 from Shaw. I have no other services with them.

Xtrema
02-02-2016, 12:34 PM
People are cutting cable. CRTC is enforcing basic price and unbundling in March.

I'm surprised we are not paying double for internet access just to offset the lost on the TV side of the biz.

FraserB
02-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
People are cutting cable. CRTC is enforcing basic price and unbundling in March.

I'm surprised we are not paying double for internet access just to offset the lost on the TV side of the biz.

People though that the CRTC forcing 2 year plans onto providers would make things better. This will be exactly the same, the providers aren't going to take a hit with this.

PeterGTiR
02-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Have you chaps considered going with one of the resellers. I saw that Lightspeed has a good price and unlimited bandwidth on the cable Internet. I've found football and hockey streams on Reddit so maybe Internet is all you need if it's reliable.

http://www.lightspeed.ca/personaladsl/

I called Telus to cancel, but then Telus offered a bump in speed at a lower price for six months so I kept it.

jwslam
02-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Hmm.. lightspeed is cheaper than teksavvy by like $3/month if I go with 30mbps cable. Interesting.

pheoxs
02-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Half debating switching to lightspeed but the upfront costs make it not worth it.

Anyone have a modem kicking around they'd sell :angel:

GoChris
02-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Is anyone using the 50Mbps+ adsl from lightspeed? Cheaper than I'm paying telus right now but telus is fiber. Telus also tells me I can't get 100Mbps on my fiber oddly enough. $5 unlimited add on for light speed seems like a good deal too. A $200 modem is not a good deal and there doesn't seem to be used ones around.

pheoxs
02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
Is anyone using the 50Mbps+ adsl from lightspeed? Cheaper than I'm paying telus right now but telus is fiber. Telus also tells me I can't get 100Mbps on my fiber oddly enough. $5 unlimited add on for light speed seems like a good deal too. A $200 modem is not a good deal and there doesn't seem to be used ones around.

If you have Telus fiber you may not be able to get adsl. My house doesn't actually have phone lines run to it so I can't go adsl route.

If you're in a older home that had fiber added you'd be fine, but newer houses in the last couple years might not be able to get it.

speedog
02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
The inability to offer 100Mbs is probably due to TELUS' inside or outside plant equipment in your central office serving area or a combination thereof.

schurchill39
02-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I just got an email from Telus with a "free choice of a gift with no strings attached". You could pick a $20 donation to a charity, a $20 gift card, or a pair of movie tickets. Sneaky bastards.

GoChris
02-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

If you have Telus fiber you may not be able to get adsl. My house doesn't actually have phone lines run to it so I can't go adsl route.

If you're in a older home that had fiber added you'd be fine, but newer houses in the last couple years might not be able to get it.

I had DSL for a couple months before I was able to get fiber. So I think I have the lines coming in for it.

PeterGTiR
02-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Yeah this is what Lightspeed told me when I called about ADSL. So we talked about getting cable Internet instead. I wanted the unlimited bandwidth so I didn't care about not having access to ADSL.