PDA

View Full Version : Gas price differences at US border

speedog
01-20-2016, 01:21 PM
So after cruising GasBuddy.com, there are now some huge discrepancies for those that live near the US border.

For example, White Rock, BC's closest station to the US border is at 105.9 while just across the border in the US, the equivalent price is 58.4 - so do you go across the border to fill up and are the restrictions or repercussions if you do it often? Windsor/Detroit=85.9/38.3

Does anyone have relatives or are themselves living near the border and if so, what do they do? Just curious.

haggis88
01-20-2016, 01:30 PM
I've never been asked about filling up with Gas when coming back from Montana thru Sweetgrass/Coutts....however they have asked about vehicle repairs including new tires or brakes

Did you factor in the exchange rate and For-Ex charges too? I mean, it's probably still wayyyy cheaper in the States with those added on, but just for accuracy! :)

roopi
01-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by speedog
So after cruising GasBuddy.com, there are now some huge discrepancies for those that live near the US border.

For example, White Rock, BC's closest station to the US border is at 105.9 while just across the border in the US, the equivalent price is 58.4 - so do you go across the border to fill up and are the restrictions or repercussions if you do it often? Windsor/Detroit=85.9/38.3

Does anyone have relatives or are themselves living near the border and if so, what do they do? Just curious.

My parents live near the border and they cross weekly for gas/groceries.

Aleks
01-20-2016, 01:43 PM
66.9 at Costco today in Calgary, 63.9 in Edm.

sputnik
01-20-2016, 02:15 PM
My uncle used to fill his truck and slip tank every other week in Neche ND (his parents lived in Gretna MB) and the border guys knew him by name.

He owned the truck for over 10 years and only put gas in it in Canada twice (only enough to get him to the US for a complete fill).

speedog
01-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Shit, I didn't factor exchange rate or For-Ex charges (whatever that is). Too much math for me.

Would probably look close to this...

White Rock/Blaine = 105.9/84.7 about $20 on 100 liters

Windsor/Detroit = 85.9/55.5 about $30 on 100 liters

ninja edit for Thaco

haggis88
01-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Just the charges that your bank/credit card provider tack on for charges made in another country, in addition to the exchange rate :thumbsup:

Thaco
01-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Shit, I didn't factor exchange rate or For-Ex charges (whatever that is). Too much math for me. basically add 30-35%, not that hard..

haggis88
01-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Just done a rough calculation for myself

So, at the 38.3/l in Detroit...filling my F150 with the 136l tank = $USD 52.09

TD Visa transaction fees are 2.5% on top of the exchange rate set by VISA

According to VISAs online calculator, with the fee...i'd be paying $1.49CAD for $1USD

that makes the total fill $77.61CAD

In Windsor that would come to $116.82CAD

So still a lot of savings to be made!

HiTempguy1
01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Supposedly some places in Michigan were at 78c/gallon. That's 28.8c/L in CAD. Of course, if bringing it across the border, you'd have to add an extra 10c/L duty to it.

rage2
01-20-2016, 03:24 PM
I don't think there's duty for filling up the tank of your vehicle in the US. I'll have to dig up the reference when I have time.

roopi
01-20-2016, 03:35 PM
The way I understand it is any gas in your vehicle is exempt from duty. If you are filling jerry can's then you 'should' be paying duty on the gas.

Thaco
01-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by roopi
The way I understand it is any gas in your vehicle is exempt from duty. If you are filling jerry can's then you 'should' be paying duty on the gas. yeah its considered "Personal baggage"

anything excess is $0.10/L duty

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/x3-1/x3-1-e.html

HiTempguy1
01-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I don't think there's duty for filling up the tank of your vehicle in the US. I'll have to dig up the reference when I have time.

I meant in a more "commercial" type of manner ;)

Edit-

Originally posted by Thaco
yeah its considered "Personal baggage"

anything excess is $0.11/L duty

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/x3-1/x3-1-e.html

And it's definitely 10c. You are looking at the leaded fuel duty.

Dave P
01-20-2016, 04:06 PM
My sister goes across the boarder weekly for gas and groceries. I get the feeling like the boarder guards know the locals pretty well and dont hassle them.

SpeedyZ
01-20-2016, 05:23 PM
I live in Detroit and cross into Windsor weekly, there's a gas station at the border that's usually 0.10c cheaper (1.65 city vs 1.55 border) which is supposedly 50.69 cents a litre. Last time I was in Windsor gas was 86.9

blownz
01-21-2016, 02:14 PM
I know people that have a place on Moyie Lake and on more than one occasion I have crossed the border from their place, filled up, had supper, bought a six pack of beer and crossed back (about a 2 hour trip) with no issues. The border guards there say there is an unwritten rule that you are allowed to bring 6 beer per adult across the border if you are just there for a short trip. The one time there were 4 of us that went down and we brought back 24 beer. Declared with no issue. Apparently something they do for locals, but they didn't question us. Although I have been told some will only allow that for BC plated vehicles.

And I was never asked about gas.

I imagine if you did this daily they would get suspicious and you would risk being searched. :dunno:

rage2
01-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Was looking at this last night, looks like there are a lot of unwritten rules. Came across this site:

http://www.tradelawyersblog.com/blog/article/canadians-living-in-border-cities-at-risk-for-nexus-pass-confiscations/

Interesting that some border towns are so strict they're revoking Nexus with zero tolerance, even for gas.

I have seen the CBSA confiscate a NEXUS pass for a failure to declare a tank of gas ($75.00) purchased near the border. This person works in the United States and was almost out of gas on his/her way home and filled up on the U.S. side to avoid running out of gas in a border line up.

I think you're supposed to declare gas, even though most places don't care. I wasn't able to find any cbsa references where the tank of gas in your car is considered personal baggage. Just blogs claiming that.

lasimmon
01-21-2016, 02:48 PM
You can bring 24 beer back everytime you go with no issues... :dunno:

sputnik
01-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
You can bring 24 beer back everytime you go with no issues... :dunno:

No you can't.

One case of beer is duty/tax free only after a 48 hour stay.

C_Dave45
01-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
My sister goes across the boarder weekly for gas and groceries. I get the feeling like the boarder guards know the locals pretty well and dont hassle them.
^ This. We lived in Abbotsford and Sumas was a 10 minute drive. When playing hockey I bought all our beer across the line. So twice a week for about 12 dozen beer plus gas and groceries each time. Knew all the border guards. Huge savings. Lineups could get brutal at certain times so you got to know the best times to go.

03ozwhip
01-21-2016, 06:21 PM
While I'm not in the US, I'm in Edmonton, the price difference here between strathmore it .10/L. I filled my car with 94 octane at 87.9 last night. From almost literally bone dry, I paid $51 regular is 68.9.

I like the low gas prices, but really, I'd rather have higher gas prices and continually work instead of low gas prices and no job to pay for it anyways.

SpeedyZ
01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Was looking at this last night, looks like there are a lot of unwritten rules. Came across this site:

http://www.tradelawyersblog.com/blog/article/canadians-living-in-border-cities-at-risk-for-nexus-pass-confiscations/

Interesting that some border towns are so strict they're revoking Nexus with zero tolerance, even for gas.

I think you're supposed to declare gas, even though most places don't care. I wasn't able to find any cbsa references where the tank of gas in your car is considered personal baggage. Just blogs claiming that.

This seems to be pretty extreme, the only thing they ever ask me when I cross is if i have alcohol, tobacco, firearms. I've never been asked if I purchased gas before crossing or declared it.

C_Dave45
01-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by SpeedyZ

This seems to be pretty extreme, the only thing they ever ask me when I cross is if i have alcohol, tobacco, firearms. I've never been asked if I purchased gas before crossing or declared it.
Yeah they never care about fuel. Never once did they ever say anything about gas.