PDA

View Full Version : Office Safety........

codetrap
01-22-2016, 07:26 AM

ExtraSlow
01-22-2016, 08:58 AM
This is brought to you by the country that thought mutually assured destruction was a sound strategy.

Kloubek
01-22-2016, 09:10 AM
It actually makes sense. I've often wondered how one or two shooters have time to take out parts of a large group of people... even as they require reloading.

Yes, my first instinct is (and should be) to get out. Then it is to hide. But if there is an opportunity to stop the killing, it's unfortunate more are not taking it.

lilmira
01-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Sure, having people who know how to neutralize a threat can save lives, so is having people who know how to perform heart surgery, how to disarm a bomb.......

This is the same reality where we need warning labels for hot coffee, air tight plastic bags, and bacon.

sexualbanana
01-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/active-shooter-training-for-office-workers-used-to-be-about-hiding-not-anymore/2015/12/19/22c08a3e-a351-11e5-b53d-972e2751f433_story.html

Active-shooter training for office workers used to be about hiding. Not anymore.

Can't wait to see this module in the OH&S....

We had active-shooter "training" at my last workplace. It was just a video, the jist was that if you can get out, get out. But if you're stuck, you might as try to fight back.

bjstare
01-22-2016, 10:12 AM
I think the strategy is great.

The first priority is run, last resort is fight. That's exactly how I would choose to handle the situation. If fighting is the last resort, might as well provide a bit of training to everyone, nothing wrong with this IMO :dunno:

codetrap
01-22-2016, 10:41 AM

littledan
01-22-2016, 10:51 AM
active shooter training for CCW holders....

"if someone shoots at you, shoot back"

class dismissed

bjstare
01-22-2016, 11:05 AM
What is wrong is that "active shooter training" is even on the radar.

You're right.

Instead of training people to deal with crazies, we just need to end all violence. :love:

Dave P
01-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
I think the strategy is great.

The first priority is run, last resort is fight. That's exactly how I would choose to handle the situation. If fighting is the last resort, might as well provide a bit of training to everyone, nothing wrong with this IMO :dunno:

+1

"There is no such thing as self defense, only self offence."
Or something like that.

Xtrema
01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

We had active-shooter "training" at my last workplace. It was just a video, the jist was that if you can get out, get out. But if you're stuck, you might as try to fight back.

So you watched Die Hard?

:rofl:

HiTempguy1
01-22-2016, 12:04 PM
What is wrong is that "active shooter training" is even on the radar.

Because policy should be geared towards only dealing with rational individuals?

I completely agree with this type of training, it's like the plane hijacking thing; are you going to go down with the airplane without trying?

Stuart
01-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Because policy should be geared towards only dealing with rational individuals?

I completely agree with this type of training, it's like the plane hijacking thing; are you going to go down with the airplane without trying?

Considering the odds of being involved in either a workplace shooting or a plane hijacking are very close to zero, wouldn't the time taken to "train" for those situations be better spent training for scenarios that a) far more likely to occur and b) you have a higher chance of affecting the outcome? Maybe first aid training, ice driving

bjstare
01-22-2016, 12:15 PM
http://rs53.pbsrc.com/albums/g56/segasonicdude/Derailed_thread_by_StareOfGreed.jpg~c200

Sugarphreak
01-22-2016, 12:19 PM

sexualbanana
01-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

So you watched Die Hard?

:rofl:

Is there any better way to learn?

HiTempguy1
01-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Stuart

Considering the odds of being involved in either a workplace shooting or a plane hijacking are very close to zero, wouldn't the time taken to "train" for those situations be better spent training for scenarios that a) far more likely to occur and b) you have a higher chance of affecting the outcome? Maybe first aid training, ice driving

I don't disagree, but this is the society we live in. :dunno:

Stuart
01-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I don't disagree, but this is the society we live in. :dunno:

By that do you mean one that overreacts to highly improbable events?

HiTempguy1
01-22-2016, 02:55 PM

By that do you mean one that overreacts to highly improbable events?

Yessir. Safety culture is absurd. We received a memo for our company stating you are open to a reprimand if caught working with headphones in each ear as it is a safety hazard :banghead:

I don't think we've ever had an emergency that has required evacuation. And the alarms will literally cause hearing damage they are so loud. You'd have to be willfully ignorant (and blind, as the lights are crazy sun-equivalent bright) of the alarms.

Stuart
01-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Ah, I think we are on the same page then. I'm sure I could have picked that up easier in person. I have trouble picking up true meaning through writing, yet I spend my time reading...:banghead:

Matty_10
01-22-2016, 04:33 PM
This is absolutely a necessity. There was just a school shooting in northern Saskatchewan.

cancer man
01-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Survival training should be a must in schools. Natural Disasters and First Aid just to start.

Seth1968
01-24-2016, 12:04 PM

Outer space death? Or the best, mindless banter at the water cooler.