PDA

View Full Version : VW Gti TD1 flag

grampafunk
01-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Long and short of it - I bought a 2013 Volkswagen GTI from a Dodge Dealership a couple of months back. Was told that the car was stock and that all the VW factory warranties were in tact. Had the radio replaced in December (under warranty). Fast forward to yesterday - took the car into VW for an oilchange. VW said that the car has been flagged on Volkswagen Canada's system as having been CPU 'tuned' - which was completed at 4000 km's (car has 44,000 now) and that the powertrain warranty would be void.

Obviously I didn't tune the car. Do I have any actions agains the Dodge dealership? Anyone have any luck with powertrain warranty claims with this status with VW?

dirtsniffer
01-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Do you have any information from the dealer showing that there is warranty from audi? I'd discuss how they want to handle their screw up. I'd say a check for a few thousand should cover the mistake. Doubt it will happen. Maybe they can give you a warranty from a 3rd party.

If you don't have proof they said it had warranty I would prepare to not get any resolution from anyone.

rage2
01-23-2016, 11:27 AM
The dreaded TD1 flag. Unfortunately, only VW and Audi dealerships can see this flag so the dodge dealership likely had no idea. Google up TD1 flag, and see if there's any recent info on it. Last I checked VW/Audi were super anal about it and refused all power train warranty repairs if the car has the flag.

grampafunk
01-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Reviewed the bill of sale - its pretty and non-comital from the dealership.

Have been doing a bit of reading - and yeah - it certainly looks like they are quite anal about it and have really clamped down. Obviously - the hope is that there are no issues - but it's the piece of mind.

danno
01-23-2016, 11:49 AM
You may get some small issues i had a fuel pump go and a issue with my pcv system. My advice is go to tunedub for all the work from here on. You can look up on how to turn the tune off and follow the steps. If its apr it is pretty simple, not sure abou the rest(giac, unitronic, revo).

I had a wheel bearing go while i was tuned and they fixed that.

rage2
01-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Turning the tune on and off doesn't do anything. There is no tune on the market that can hide from TD1.

redblack
01-23-2016, 12:05 PM
You should probly look at selling it, a VW product out of warranty is going to cost you sone big bucks. Trade it in for a beige Corolla.

riander5
01-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Bastard Germans!! What other makes do this???

rage2
01-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Just VW and Audi.

bart
01-23-2016, 01:49 PM
if you goto dealer say no scanning, you can buy block off plates for obd2 ports lol

or i goto tunedub for service

if something blows up, flashing back to oem file i am reading has worked every single time, nobody got a td1 yet by FLASHING back to factory file first

danno
01-23-2016, 01:59 PM
I was refering to driving in stock form if it makes hime feel better, his warranty on the engine is done i agree. I have tried going back to stock mode and going to the dealer and they still found it so that is not true.

Just see tunedub he is cheaper and better then and vw dealer in town.

EK 2.0
01-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bart

if something blows up, flashing back to oem file i am reading has worked every single time, nobody got a td1 yet by FLASHING back to factory file first

But if his VIN is flagged, would it matter at this point to reflash to OEM software and take it in??...

Will the dealer just not accept that reflash and say he is SOL??...

Just asking because I am curious...

grampafunk
01-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Yeah, in the eyes of VW I am SOL on the powertrain warranty regardless of what I do at this point. I'm more ticked that dodge dealer told me there was warranty which there clearly is not. I'm guessing there is nothing I can do there either but figure I would see if there were any options.

lilmira
01-23-2016, 03:14 PM
solution? may as well go get a tune and go to tunedub from now on. :burnout:

relyt92
01-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by grampafunk
Yeah, in the eyes of VW I am SOL on the powertrain warranty regardless of what I do at this point. I'm more ticked that dodge dealer told me there was warranty which there clearly is not. I'm guessing there is nothing I can do there either but figure I would see if there were any options. It's a shitty situation for sure, but that's very unlikely to be something that the Dodge dealer would have known.

theken
01-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Then they shouldn't advertise it with warranty if they do not know

redblack
01-23-2016, 04:02 PM
Do dealerships check the warranty of every used vehicle they have? Probly not unless it's a certified pre-owned.

Errol.
01-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

But if his VIN is flagged, would it matter at this point to reflash to OEM software and take it in??...

Will the dealer just not accept that reflash and say he is SOL??...

Just asking because I am curious...

Does not matter at this point. Once its flagged TD1 its there for good.

And to the guys saying flashing it back to stock, you are not 100% safe from getting TD1.

bart
01-23-2016, 05:07 PM
my advice was for people with no td1 yet

Errol.
01-23-2016, 05:27 PM
my advice was for people with no td1 yet
I understand. Even flashed back to stock you may still get flagged td1.

bart
01-23-2016, 06:22 PM
dont know, but havent read online this happened to anyone, have a link?

danno
01-23-2016, 08:05 PM
It happened to me as i have said earlier.

colinxx235
01-23-2016, 09:52 PM
From personal experience Audi will fuck you on absolutely anything they can because of TD1 flag in system. That includes if you did the fucking stasis tune with them too...

Errol.
01-24-2016, 02:45 AM
dont know, but havent read online this happened to anyone, have a link?
I work at the dealership and have seen it.

schocker
01-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
From personal experience Audi will fuck you on absolutely anything they can because of TD1 flag in system. That includes if you did the fucking stasis tune with them too...
Well that is because the warranty was then supposed to be through stasis and then they went bankrupt :rofl:

rage2
01-24-2016, 09:42 AM
AFAIK the TD1 flag comes up on any unauthorized flash. It doesn't matter what you flash, stock file, blank file, it'll be noted when (in km) it was flashed. Its detecting the presence of a flash, not what's actually in it.

flipstah
01-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Can you see this on VAGCOM?

rage2
01-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Don't think so. It only shows up on dealer equipment scan.

The reason why they're so anal is because it's out of the hands of dealers now. VW Audi requires a scan for all warranty work, it sends the info to them, and they will refuse any warranty work payments back to the dealer if there's no scan, or all powertrain work if there's a TD1 flag. Dealers being scared of not getting paid just flat out refuse all warranty work (even non drivetrain) if the flag comes up which makes it frustrating.

The whole statsis thing was a deal at the dealer level and not corporate. Statsis was paying out for all powertrain warranty work themselves on cars with TD1. They fell apart purely from these warranty claims where many wasn't even related to their tunes. :nut:

Darkane
01-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Nissan's CONSULT will see any tune on a GTR as well.

As far as adding vehicles to the list. Flashing back to stock doesn't matter.

killramos
01-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, as much as it sucks for owners, do any of you blame them?

Personally I don't.

bart
01-24-2016, 01:48 PM
well then simple solution, buy another ecu, keep one stock, another with a tune

sure it will be 2-3k but oh well

mk2 tt pretty sure did not support td1 flagging, ecu's too old

i know car stores max values of all sorts of values, including torque, dont know how but it displays how much torque the engine is outputting at any given moment, so if that exceeded the norm it could be a trigger...

npham
01-24-2016, 10:46 PM
I've also read a rumor that if you allow Audi/VW to flash your car back to stock + any updates they have, you can get the TD1 removed but it's a bitch. I think it was on AudiWorld or Audizine, one of the two where I guy was able to get it removed.

rage2
01-25-2016, 12:42 AM
If it was that simple every mod friendly dealer that sold tunes would be doing it. Fact is once it's flagged it's game over.

Bart's multiple ecu method seems to be the only solution out there but it's not easy or cheap.

bart
01-27-2016, 09:29 AM
you need a pin code i think to adapt a new ecu or instrument cluster, once its adapted it will be pnp, long time ago i had a hookup at vw that gave me the pincodes no problem, but now its automated through their gecko or whatever they call it, all behind the scenes, maybe if you get them to swap the ecu for you once, then you can do it from that point on yourself at home

also some have security bolts with thread lock haha mine was