PDA

View Full Version : Pet door

jabjab
01-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm in serious consideration of adapting a puppy. I know they require lots of attention but I know there will be some times will he/she will be home alone for a few hours.

Is it possible to install a doggy door in an existing glass patio sliding. door? This way if he or she needs to go to the washroom they can.

s2k_boi
01-24-2016, 01:04 PM
It is possible. Something like this: http://patiopetdoorinc.com/pet-door-details/

Not sure where you can get it locally though. But a puppy could handle a few hours. Look into crate training or maybe a playpen with a pee pad area as an alternative as I wouldn't want my dog running around the yard free range (when I'm not around at least- he can go run around outside when I'm around). Depending on the type of dog you get, they might be a digger and escape your yard when you aren't around.

blairtruck
01-24-2016, 01:11 PM
adopt a full grown, they can hold pee all day.
my dog pee at 630am before we leave for work. then 4pm when wife returns.

jabjab
01-24-2016, 01:20 PM
What would a full grown be considered? I'd like to get one that isn't older than a year

project240
01-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Keep in mind pet doors don't seal very well. We have a hot water boiler system and last winter a pipe near the door froze because of the small draft it was letting in... Obviously shouldn't be a problem with a normal furnace though

HomespunLobster
01-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by jabjab
What would a full grown be considered? I'd like to get one that isn't older than a year

I adopted my dog and he was approximately a yearish old. They don't know since he was a rescue with no background. House trained, crate trained, just had to do more training on the side. Best dog I've ever had without the hassle of a puppy. Although he acts like one still (about 3.5 years old now).

I've had him for two years now, we no longer use the crate, but he stays in my room when I'm not home. I've lost a few articles of clothing do to him chewing, but thats because I didn't burn off his energy and he was bored.

jabjab
01-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster

I adopted my dog and he was approximately a yearish old. They don't know since he was a rescue with no background. House trained, crate trained, just had to do more training on the side. Best dog I've ever had without the hassle of a puppy. Although he acts like one still (about 3.5 years old now).

I've had him for two years now, we no longer use the crate, but he stays in my room when I'm not home. I've lost a few articles of clothing do to him chewing, but thats because I didn't burn off his energy and he was bored.

What adaption agency did you use and would you recommend them? I have an interview with pawsitive match tomorrow.

HomespunLobster
01-25-2016, 08:59 AM

What adaption agency did you use and would you recommend them? I have an interview with pawsitive match tomorrow.

Pawsitive Match was the one. It's a process to get a dog for sure, but worth it.

There are quite a few around, just hop on the google and check them out. I've heard of people getting dogs from almost every agency. It's nice that you can "trial run" the dog, so to speak. Have the dog over for a couple days to see if you can adjust and if the dog fits in your house, but not so long the dog gets attached

BlueHaloGirl
01-25-2016, 02:10 PM
My husband made a doggie door for our patio doors. He used leftover sheet wood, not thin like plywood and cut a hole in it and installed rubber flaps on the inside and outside. It fits right into the opening and into the track groves. We leave it up all winter and just close the inside door when we are no using it.
That being said we don't leave it open all day while we are at work cause we don't want her running around the yard. She gets out in the morning when we both get up and then she gets out when I get home at 4pm. She gets a walk right after work as well.
I leave the doggy door open all evening so she can come and go as she needs/wants. We just put some foam in the crack between the door and wood to seal off the draft.

As for adoption places, we got ours as a pup from Rocky Mountain Animal Rescue from Canmore. They rescue dogs from Morley and from Mexico. I highly recommend them.

Kari_310
01-25-2016, 02:42 PM

I went through little mutts to adopt my 10 month old jack russell mix, great experience, the availability of dogs vary due to the "shipments" that they get from the states so if you keep checking it goes from no dogs listed to 15 in a day. I was in the same situation as you - wanted a puppy but didn't have the time/patience to deal with one so I went this route and I couldn't be happier.
I was able to choose a dog that fit my needs (no barking, crate trained, etc) without having to deal with the surprises a puppy brings (who knows what personality they will have). I also choose the breed of dog because they're smart and fast learners I only had a handfull of accidents within the first month of him learning to sit by the door.

I was also meeting dogs through pawsitive match and they are great too, very similar experience, I ended up going through little mutts in the end because of the dog that I decided on but I would consider either in the future for my next dog. All of the foster families I met throughout my process were so great and really help you make the decision if the dog is right for you.

The_Penguin
01-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by BlueHaloGirl

As for adoption places, we got ours as a pup from Rocky Mountain Animal Rescue from Canmore. They rescue dogs from Morley and from Mexico. I highly recommend them.

+1 for Rocky Mountain. We transported 2 dogs from Cabo for them last time we were there. Great organization.