PDA

View Full Version : No Hot Water and No Furnace Heat

thextinct
01-24-2016, 03:17 PM
The temp was dropping and noticed the furnace wasn't kicking in. Also noticed we weren't getting any hot water even after letting the tap running for more than 5 min. Usually I feel it after 30sec or so. I called up Atco and they said the lines are fine and they will have a tech out in the next 24 hrs.
The home is getting colder by the minute. Any idea anyone?
Thanks!

EDIT: I am in New Brighton SE area and my home is one of the newer developments. Been about 1.5 years.

CokerRat
01-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Check if any valves have been closed. Could be a pressure letdown regulator failure.

thextinct
01-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CokerRat
Check if any valves have been closed. Could be a pressure letdown regulator failure.

I went outside and around and checked the valves. From what I know, which is very little, the valves seemed to be in the correct position to let the air in the house.

speedog
01-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Sounds like your natural gas regulator could be conked out, if it's a manual one you can reset it (Atco has the procedure on their web site, Google 'reset natural gas regulator') but in either case, if the regulator is shot, then you'll have to wait for Atco.

RealJimmyJames
01-24-2016, 03:29 PM
If you have a natural gas stove, fireplace or BBQ hookup, you can use that to confirm that the gas is/isn't flowing.
Also, if you have a fireplace, that'll crank out enough heat to help keep your pipes from freezing tonight.

thextinct
01-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Sounds like your natural gas regulator could be conked out, if it's a manual one you can reset it (Atco has the procedure on their web site, Google 'reset natural gas regulator') but in either case, if the regulator is shot, then you'll have to wait for Atco.

Hey, just checked the regulator outside and its sealed. It also has a sticker reading 'manual reset not required'. I guess I will just wait.

Seth1968
01-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Don't take 24 hours.

ATCO Gas 24-hour Emergency Services: Edmonton and Area 1-780-420-5585 | Calgary and Area 1-403-245-7222 | All Other Areas 1-800-511-3447

thextinct
01-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
If you have a natural gas stove, fireplace or BBQ hookup, you can use that to confirm that the gas is/isn't flowing.
Also, if you have a fireplace, that'll crank out enough heat to help keep your pipes from freezing tonight.

My cousin had shut off the fireplace more than a year ago and we never started it after that. I will try to get it going after reading the manual if there is gas incoming.
I don't have a natural gas stove or a BBQ line outside.
Thanks for your reply.

thextinct
01-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Don't take 24 hours.

ATCO Gas 24-hour Emergency Services: Edmonton and Area 1-780-420-5585 | Calgary and Area 1-403-245-7222 | All Other Areas 1-800-511-3447

Yeah I called 3447 number as that is what I found the bill statement. After some prelim questions she said a tech will be sent out in the next 24 hours. Hopefully don't take 24 hours.

Seth1968
01-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Say your smelling gas. That 24 will be reduced to 1.

rx7_turbo2
01-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Furnace probably won't have one but the HWT might have a pilot light, check to see if it's going.

In addition your furnace will spit out error codes with an LED that you should be able to see from outside the furnace. The thermostat would have called for heat and the furnace would have tried to fire, whatever caused it not too would turn up as an error code. This might give you some more insight into the issue.

thextinct
01-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Furnace probably won't have one but the HWT might have a pilot light, check to see if it's going.

In addition your furnace will spit out error codes with an LED that you should be able to see from outside the furnace. The thermostat would have called for heat and the furnace would have tried to fire, whatever caused it not too would turn up as an error code. This might give you some more insight into the issue.

Its reading the code E207 with description as surface ignitor sensed open.

Any idea of what this would mean? I will try to google myself. Manual didn't really give me much.

Also, tried to get the fireplace going but couldn't because of no incoming gas?

EDIT: Found it in the manual under the diagnostics section, reads as follows:
"Occurs when there is a call for heating and discharge air sensor does not sense a increase in supply air temperature indicating the heating is not functioning properly."

So conclusion? No air supply coming in. I guess will wait for the ATCO guy to show up.

craigcd
01-24-2016, 04:57 PM
This is a rather uneducated guess but I remember someone talking about the fresh air intake freezing up at some point.

Take a look outside and see if there is ice on the pvc pipes. Just a thought while you wait....

thextinct
01-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by craigcd
This is a rather uneducated guess but I remember someone talking about the fresh air intake freezing up at some point.

Take a look outside and see if there is ice on the pvc pipes. Just a thought while you wait....

Thanks, while google searching I did see one of this as recommendations to check. I did check and it was all clean.
Thanks though, appreciate it.

thextinct
01-24-2016, 06:43 PM
UPDATE:

so gas line was okay. it was the ignitor in the furnace that was worn out. Looks something like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fziwQeLDL._SX342_.jpg

About the hot water tank, we both don't have no real idea why it wasn't giving any hot water. he cranked the setting up to very hot and then it fired up and gave hot water after letting the tap run for a good 10 min.

With the fireplace, the explanation was that because we had it switched off for more than a year, there must be air in the line so when I tried to trigger it there wasn't enough gas to fire it up. He held it for more than 2 min before trying to get the pilot going.

Looks like tonight is going to be a cold night. Will bundle up and make some calls tomorrow to the heating guys.
Thanks everyone.

roopi
01-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by thextinct
UPDATE:

so gas line was okay. it was the ignitor in the furnace that was worn out. Looks something like this:

About the hot water tank, we both don't have no real idea why it wasn't giving any hot water. he cranked the setting up to very hot and then it fired up and gave hot water after letting the tap run for a good 10 min.

With the fireplace, the explanation was that because we had it switched off for more than a year, there must be air in the line so when I tried to trigger it there wasn't enough gas to fire it up. He held it for more than 2 min before trying to get the pilot going.

Looks like tonight is going to be a cold night. Will bundle up and make some calls tomorrow to the heating guys.
Thanks everyone.

If you willing to pay there are people that will come out tonight to fix it.

rx7_turbo2
01-24-2016, 06:53 PM
I figured it was something to do with the furnace and the HWT was a strange coincidence.

You'll have a chilly night but it's actually decent timing considering. I lost my furnace (unrepairable) during a -30 cold snap last year. The house holds a fair amount of heat. We were without heat for a few days and the coldest it got down to inside was 9 degrees. I just cranked up the fire place all evening and a fan to move the air around.

thextinct
01-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by roopi

If you willing to pay there are people that will come out tonight to fix it.

no not willing to pay premium for one night lol. I can get the heater going in couple of rooms and the fireplace for a bit.

thextinct
01-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
I figured it was something to do with the furnace and the HWT was a strange coincidence.

You'll have a chilly night but it's actually decent timing considering. I lost my furnace (unrepairable) during a -30 cold snap last year. The house holds a fair amount of heat. We were without heat for a few days and the coldest it got down to inside was 9 degrees. I just cranked up the fire place all evening and a fan to move the air around.

I can't imagine going down that low. Luckily got couple of heaters so will fire those on and now that I have the fireplace I will keep it on till late. :)
It smells funny because it was switched off for so long probably.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Yeah the fireplace will smell funny as it burns off the dust that accumulates in there.

A fireplace with a fan in front of it (if it doesn't already have a fan built in) makes for a fairly effective way to keep a room warm. Our furnace motor died last December and running the fireplace with a fan kept the main and upper floor reasonably warm until I could fix the furnace.

RealJimmyJames
01-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Forgot to say this yesterday, but in an emergency, if you have heated floors in your bathroom, they'll throw out a shocking amount of heat when turned up to around 30 degrees. Accidentally left the one in my basement turned up after demonstrating it to someone, and you could feel the difference throughout the house.

G
01-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by thextinct
UPDATE:

Thanks everyone.

Those things are notorious for failing. They typically fail because of all dust from construction in new builds. After mine crapped out on the coldest night at my old house the Atco guy told me to pick up a couple of extras at Amry Supply for 1/3 of the price he is about to charge me. They are super simple to swap out...seriously plug and play.

Pacman
01-25-2016, 11:40 AM
That's the same thing that was causing issues with my furnace.

I usually clean it with a scotchbrite pad at the beginning of each winter and haven't had a problem since.

mr2mike
01-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
I usually clean it with a scotchbrite pad at the beginning of each winter and haven't had a problem since.
^This