PDA

View Full Version : Please school me on appliances

Xtrema
01-25-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm not looking at top end stuff, just mid range stuff for fridges and electric range.

What brand to avoid? Or since brands has consolidated over the years, avoid countries of origin of certain models?

Some real life experience/stats would be great.

It almost sounds like I'm screwed for reliability whichever I pick these days.

macman64
01-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Whirlpool a few of the appliance companies including Jenn-air, Kitchenaid, and Maytag. Kitchenaid tends to be the higher end of those brands. Personally I like Kitchenaid or Samsung appliances. I find they produce nice products but are cheaper than the high end brands. As for reliability.....we will see!

When we recently picked appliances for our new place we focused on the features we wanted in combination with price. Kitchenaid won out even though I walked in with plans of picking samsung.

Make sure to also look up the product lines online as not all stores carry all the options. Sometimes that perfect model number just isn't on the floor.

atgilchrist
01-25-2016, 09:12 PM
I've got Fridgidaire Gallery appliances, and they're fine. The natural gas stove with convection oven is great but the fridge and dishwasher both seem like they could be better. Pretty quiet but fit finish is only ok. All stainless steel.

Amysicle
01-25-2016, 09:13 PM

Thaco
01-25-2016, 09:14 PM
the only appliances i bought new are my bosch dishwasher and samsung laundry pair, no complaints about either, they've both been flawless in the few years i have owned them

masoncgy
01-25-2016, 09:19 PM
I don't really see a lot of patterns when it comes to appliances and what ones are good and what ones are not... you'll get a dud in just about any line. I have my own preferences and given I have sold to a lot of Beyonders over time, I like to offer up my recommendations or support what they like if it's a good choice.

Service means a lot to me and some manufacturers are much easier to work with when something goes wrong than others, so take that into consideration when you buy.

Best bet is to get a sense of what you're looking for and confirm some measurements. Fridges are by far the most varied in terms of sizing.

You can pop me a message if you need any help!

Xtrema
01-25-2016, 10:15 PM
Thru google fu, sounds like we are down to 5 manufacturers. Electrolux, Whirpool, GE, LG, Samsung. Other brands just falls under these 5. Some brands like Kenmore tends to be made by 1 or more of these 5 manufacturers.

For refrigerator From a dimension perspective, these two seems to fit the best:
http://www.electroluxappliances.ca/Kitchen-Appliances/Refrigerators/French-Door-Refrigerators/EI23BC60KS/

or

http://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Refrigerators/French-Door-Refrigerators/FPBG2277RF/

I don't care about water dispenser/ice maker since I don't want to break up the basement to get the lines there and there is less to break. The fun part here is my home is a older one so I have the 36" width but only a 69.5-69.75" height to play with, really removes a lot of bottom freezer, french door fridge from the list.

Electric range, just to match the fridge:
http://www.electroluxappliances.ca/Kitchen-Appliances/Ranges/Electric/EI30EF4CQS/

or

http://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Ranges/Electric-Ranges/CPEH3077RF/

Again, not running gas, that would rip even more ceiling in the basement.

Dishwasher, I could care less. I run that may be twice a month.

Originally posted by Amysicle
Ancedotal, but my friends bought a house in Skyview less than 5 years ago and their fridge, stove and I think dishwasher have already crapped out. All were Samsung.

So far Samsung is pretty low on my list of brands. Never heard anything good about them on reliability. The problem is some American brands models are farmed out to Samsung/LG. So hard to gauge.

Originally posted by masoncgy
Service means a lot to me and some manufacturers are much easier to work with when something goes wrong than others, so take that into consideration when you buy.

I keep ending up with Electrolux/Frigidaire lines. They are the same company. Any problem with their service department or part availability in general?

jwslam
01-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The fun part here is my home is a older one so I have the 36" width but only a 69.5-69.75" height to play with, really removes a lot of bottom freezer, french door fridge from the list.
I had the same height problem because I didn't wanna give up my cabinet. None of my stuff matches. Bosch dishwasher and the 2 below.

masoncgy hooked me up with:
https://www.fisherpaykel.com/ca/kitchen/fridges-freezers/french-door/RF170ADX4/

double oven induction:
http://www.maytag.ca/en_CA/-[YMIT8795BS]-1505361/YMIT8795BS/

No problems with reliability but I haven't even hit 2 years yet (knocks on my office desk)

suntan
01-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Reliability from CR:

OTR Microwave: Anything but Samsung.

Electric smoothtop range: GE is meaningfully most reliable, followed by Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Kenmore and Maytag.

Fridges: Electrolux and Frigidaire are the most repair-prone brands of bottom-freezers with icemakers. Whirlpool and KitchenAid are among the more repair-prone brands as well. KitchenAid is also the most repair-prone brand of side-by-sides with icemakers. Conversely, when it comes to top-freezers with icemakers, Kenmore is among the more reliable brands. That's what we found from the feedback of almost 80,000 readers who bought a new refrigerator between 2010 and 2014. The graphs show the percentage of models from each brand that were repaired or had a serious problem. Differences of less than 5 points aren't meaningful, and we've adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked to the age and extended warranty/service contract coverage of the refrigerators. All refrigerators in the graphs are full-size free-standing models. Models within a brand may vary, and design or manufacture changes may affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good repair history can improve your odds of getting a reliable model.

Dishwasher: Bosch and Whirlpool are among the more reliable brands of dishwashers. Samsung is the most repair-prone brand of dishwasher and KitchenAid and LG are among the more repair-prone brands. That’s what we found when we asked more than 70,000 readers who bought a dishwasher between 2010 and 2014 about their experiences. The graph shows the percentage of models for each brand that were repaired or had a serious problem. Differences of less than 3 points aren’t meaningful, and we’ve adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked solely to the dishwasher’s age and coverage by an extended warranty or service contract. Models within a brand may vary, and changes in design or manufacturer may affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good repair history can improve your odds of getting a reliable model.

Washers: Based on an analysis of the ownership experiences of Consumer Reports subscribers, Speed Queen top-loaders as well as front-loaders manufactured by LG and Samsung are among the more reliable brands of washing machines. LG top-loaders, however, are among the more repair-prone washers, as are front-loaders manufactured by Frigidaire and GE. These conclusions are premised on estimated failure rates for four-year old washers from data for washers purchased new between 2007 and the first half of 2014. The statistical model estimates failure rates for 4-year-old washers not covered by a service contract. We also adjust for the usage of the washer, measured by the number of loads typically done in one week. Results are based on Consumer Reports’ 2014 Annual Product Reliability Survey of 115,573 washing machines purchased new from 2007 through the first half of 2014. Differences of fewer than 6 points aren’t meaningful.

Dryers: Based on an analysis of the ownership experiences of 105,474 Consumer Reports subscribers, LG is the most reliable brand of both electric and gas dryers. LG dryers are significantly more reliable than any other brand. By contrast, Fisher & Paykel electric clothes dryers are the most repair-prone brand of dryers analyzed. These conclusions are premised on estimated failure rates for four-year old dryers from data for dryers purchased new between 2007 and the first half of 2014. The statistical model estimates failure rates for 4-year-old dryers not covered by a service contract. We also adjust for the usage of the dryer, measured by the number of loads typically done in one week. Differences of fewer than 4 points aren’t meaningful.

masoncgy
01-26-2016, 12:39 PM
I keep ending up with Electrolux/Frigidaire lines. They are the same company. Any problem with their service department or part availability in general?

No, in fact, I find Electrolux easy to work with on the service issues.

Personally, if it's down to the Frigidaire Professional vs Electrolux choices, I would opt for the Pro Series stuff... the smudgeproof finish is a win. I have a couple of pieces in my kitchen at the moment and I really like the fact my fridge & range are not all smudgy from my kids' fingers... and it wipes up with soap & water... no polish needed.

Of course, your height being under 70" is tricky... is there any chance the cabinet above can be cut down a bit in size? The Frigidaire Pro & Electrolux 36" fridges all require a 70" opening to fit.

Dishwasher you can go outside the box... if you don't use it often, just go with something inexpensive that matches up as neatly as possible.

Quizzes
01-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Electric range, just to match the fridge:
http://www.electroluxappliances.ca/Kitchen-Appliances/Ranges/Electric/EI30EF4CQS/

or

http://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Ranges/Electric-Ranges/CPEH3077RF/

Again, not running gas, that would rip even more ceiling in the basement.

Just a thought... have you considered an induction range?

01RedDX
01-26-2016, 12:57 PM

blownz
01-27-2016, 10:30 AM
I have been really happy with my electrolux range. I was worried about the reliability of the touch display but I have had it for over 5 years with no issues and it still looks sleeker than virtually all other touch panels out there. The smooth gliding oven racks are one of the greatest things ever as well. And the temp probe and "perfect turkey" setting works very well. *edit* The dimming interior lights look pretty pimp too. :bigpimp:

I still have my original fridge from 12 years ago which is an Amana (basically Maytag) and it has been great. When my range went 5 years ago I was assuming the fridge would go shortly after and I could buy a matching electrolux but it still hasn't happened.

JustinL
01-27-2016, 01:01 PM
We bought all Samsung about 4 years ago and have been overall quite satisfied.

Fridge: Great. Downside is the filters for the water and ice are expensive and need replacing more frequently than I expected.

Washer/Dryer: Great, no complaints at all.

Dishwasher: Sucks. It works, but doesn't really get things clean on the top rack. Even brand new it has never been good enough.

Range: Regular glass top with elements suck. Keeping it clean is tough. I'd do induction in a heartbeat if I was doing it again. Heat control on mine is atrocious, it's either burning the food or off. I exaggerate a bit, but seriously pay a bit more for induction or gas.

flipstah
01-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
I don't really see a lot of patterns when it comes to appliances and what ones are good and what ones are not... you'll get a dud in just about any line. I have my own preferences and given I have sold to a lot of Beyonders over time, I like to offer up my recommendations or support what they like if it's a good choice.

Best bet is to get a sense of what you're looking for and confirm some measurements. Fridges are by far the most varied in terms of sizing.

You can pop me a message if you need any help!

The appliances I bought thanks to your recommendations are still running top-notch! :thumbsup:

Although, I do regret not getting the ice maker in my undercounter fridge :(

jwslam
01-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by JustinL
Range: Regular glass top with elements suck. Keeping it clean is tough.
Are you using a ceramic cleaner? Which one?

flipstah
01-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

Range: Regular glass top with elements suck. Keeping it clean is tough. I'd do induction in a heartbeat if I was doing it again. Heat control on mine is atrocious, it's either burning the food or off. I exaggerate a bit, but seriously pay a bit more for induction or gas.

Induction is awesome, but regular glass top is easy to clean with stovetop cleaner and dedicated sponge.

Darell_n
01-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Remember when appliances were only purchased once every generation? My house has all its original 22 year old appliances and I cringe at having to replace them eventually, because I know they will be over priced and shit. Sorry OP, no help I know. Just a rant.

Xtrema
03-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Remember when appliances were only purchased once every generation? My house has all its original 22 year old appliances and I cringe at having to replace them eventually, because I know they will be over priced and shit. Sorry OP, no help I know. Just a rant.

I know. Mine just hit 13 years and only the fridge is going strong. everything else is on their last leg.

Anyway, jumped on the Kitchenaid promo this month and got all 3 pieces with 30% off MSRP (about 10% off lowest price I have seen since I started this thread). Saved enough to pay for new 700cfm hood fan as well.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
All of my Frigidaire appliances failed within 6 years and have been replaced with Whirlpool.

Fridge, range, microwave/hoodfan.

My sister didn't have good experience with Fridgedaire, so I backed out of my original idea. She's on Jenn Air now and been great.

KitchenAid is from Whirpool as well as Jenn Air. And my Whirpool fridge is rock solid. Hence I have no problem with it.

rx7_turbo2
03-06-2016, 10:39 PM
My original fridge and furnace were both over 30 years old and running strong when I replaced them. The replacements lasted 5 years :thumbsdow

Next up for us is a gas stove and dishwasher.

jwslam
03-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Anyway, jumped on the Kitchenaid promo this month and got all 3 pieces with 30% off MSRP (about 10% off lowest price I have seen since I started this thread). Saved enough to pay for new 700cfm hood fan as well.
You still paid siginficantly more than MasonCGY would've hooked you up with for the exact same pieces ;)

Mitsu3000gt
03-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I have Frigidaire Pro stuff in my place, it's 16 years old now and everything still works flawlessly. Not even one tiny issue.

I find most modern appliances to be a crap shoot though, for every one person saying they've never had a problem, there is one with horror stories. This thread is starting to read that way as well. I've always felt that anything from the major brands has an equal chance of being great or unreliable, so the most important thing is how easy it is to get service when required. A lot of these appliances come out of the same factory anyway, or are simply re-branded.

403ep3
03-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Has anyone used masoncgy instead of going through their builder to coast? Any benefits?

jwslam
12-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Bump:
So the control board on the range went out on saturday. Had Maytag come do a $120 service call for literally just looking at it and telling me the part is not in stock until next week.

He also told me that most people are not told they need a 60A breaker to replace the standard 40A so that this doesn't happen... Just wondering how many other beyonders may be in the same boat and on an imminent part failure

TYMSMNY
12-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Bump:
So the control board on the range went out on saturday. Had Maytag come do a $120 service call for literally just looking at it and telling me the part is not in stock until next week.

He also told me that most people are not told they need a 60A breaker to replace the standard 40A so that this doesn't happen... Just wondering how many other beyonders may be in the same boat and on an imminent part failure

Those control boards are weak. I had to replace one too but on a Frigidaire. Luckily under warranty. Pretty interesting when they took the whole glass top off.

60A breaker, hmmm. I'll have to run down and check. Thanks for mentioning it.

Aaaaaron
12-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Bump:

My parents had the control board go on there whirlpool range. The part was so much they went out and bought a new one. They had a Sears guy come and look at theirs, but not sure if he mentioned the 60A requirement.

TYMSMNY
12-23-2016, 01:14 PM
100a breaker. overkill.