PDA

View Full Version : Building codes and hand rail question

cidley69
01-27-2016, 09:53 AM
For a residential house that was built in 1950's, before the building code required hand rails for stairs over 4 risers:

there is a back basement exterior staircase, to walk out basement door. this is covered staircase with locked door at top and bottom.

if the house predates the code, is retrofitting a hand rail to comply with the current code a requirement?

I was always under impression only time a house had to be brought up to current code was if a building permit was applied for?

Or are there certain safety related building codes that must always be complied with regardless of age of house?

Any thought on this appreciated!

speedog
01-27-2016, 10:06 AM
If a building permit is require for changes to said area, then it will have to brought up to code. We own a 1955 bungalow and there are a number of things that aren't code, size of basement windows, slope of our patio roof and probably a few other things but as we haven't done anything that requires a building permit in these areas, they can remain as is.

cidley69
01-27-2016, 10:09 AM
It was noted during an insurance company inspection that the staircase does not meet current code due to lack of railing.

The house isn't supposed to meet current code, b/c it predates the code?

I guess insurance has right to ask for anything they want, or they just won't insure me......?

thanks for the reply.

speedog
01-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Are there tenants downstairs?

suntan
01-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Retrofit is not necessary.

If *that specific area is being reno'd*, then you need to meet current code.

cidley69
01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Its a rental house, with only partially finished basement that one room is used as a bedroom.

speedog
01-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Christ, I am certainly having button issues, double post again.

s_havinga
01-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Technically, it only had to comply to code when it was built but I believe insurance has the right to request this type of thing if the deem it necessary for coverage.

Personally, I would add a rail, especially on a rental. I see all sorts of potential lawsuits if a tenant fell down the stairs and blamed the lack of rail. Shouldn't be that expensive or time consuming I wouldn't think.

cidley69
01-27-2016, 11:49 AM
Yeah good point re liability. Its an unused staircase that's full of spiders, but not worth arguing with insurance over it, and better to have rail there.

Was more wondering about the requirement to keep old house up to evolving building codes, which was answered.

Case closed!

gwill
01-27-2016, 11:50 AM
A friends tenants out east went to the city and complained about things not being up to code in a really old rental... He had to fix a bunch of shit because of it. If it's not up to code and something happens and you've been forewarned you'd be risking quite the lawsuit.

It shouldnt be that hard to install a railing.. Why not fix the safety issue?

Edit: hate when I post and other replies show up that you didn't see.....