PDA

View Full Version : Teaching students with ADHD

msommers
01-27-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm volunteering with some elementary school kids and one in particular displays all the signs of ADHD. Initially I thought it was a bit of a knee-jerk assessment but the signs after the last few weeks are at least hinting in that direction. I have no professional experience to assess this boy as I'm not even remotely qualified to make those claims right now but with that diagnosis in mind...

So instead of trying to get him to focus by saying "lets try to focus on this" I'm trying to think of a different methodology that will be more engaging and also likely more enjoyable for him, which at the end of the day is what this is about. As of now he's viewing this time more to play with his friends than a 50/50 homework help and playing board games. But in comparison to his friends, we can't even come close to completing the assigned homework like his peers do because of his ease to get distracted or start thinking about something completely random.

For parents or teachers that are in the know, what have you found works well or suggestions I could try?

Here in Edmonton, the public library offers some online activities which I'm going to try for next week's session. They appear more video game-style rather than textbook type learning.

ExtraSlow
01-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Well, if it's something that kid hates, he'll have a hard time focusing on it no matter what, so if you can modify the material a bit to suit his interests that always helps.

Also, if you are able, letting him stand up while he works on it can help. Concentrating and sitting still are not synonymous. Also can help to have shorter term goals for small rewards, like he answers one question, then he gets to crumple up a piece of paper and throw it towards the garbage can etc.

Some hyperactive kids can focus for a while after they have had some physical activity, so if he gets to run down the hall a couple times, he'll have ten minutes or so of better focus. This only works with some kids.

***not a doctor or psychologist***

Good luck. Many kids "grow out" of many of the symptoms of ADHD, or just learn good coming mechanisms, which looks about the same to outside observers. Many kids with this also don't get the support they need and end up pretty disadvantaged. Good on you for putting effort into this kid, it's hard work, but it's very worthwhile.

HuMz
01-27-2016, 09:54 PM
My wife is a registered psychologist in the field, how old is the child and have you talked to the teacher to see if they've had any formal diagnosis?

msommers
01-27-2016, 11:20 PM
Thank you for the responses and suggestions, I'll try to implement them next week. The physical activity is great, I might see if this is allowed.

Humz, I was hoping to have a conversation with his teacher but unfortunately was unable. Hopefully I can make contact next week. Currently he is in grade 5, and suffers a bit with English on paper (reading and writing) - speaking things aren't too bad.

ExtraSlow
01-27-2016, 11:49 PM
If he is grade five and he has a diagnosis, he will know, you could just ask him? Nicely.

HuMz
01-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Try to continue making the activities hes engaging as fun as possible, and exploring a simple rewards system or something to keep him motivated to complete the homework tasks. For example, tell the child "first homework for 10 minutes, then board game" and repeat as necessary (Ten minutes is only an example. You want to meet him where hes at, and only increase it by a minute or two. So if he is only capable of sitting for 5 minutes, then only ask him to sit for 6 minutes to start). Also try a movement break or game (ex. animal or wheel barrel walks) to help regulate his body so he can sit and relax easier before you guys start the homework exercise.

msommers
01-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the suggestions.

benyl
01-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Boys learn better by being physically active as has been stated.

Try also throwing a ball around while you quiz him.

kenny
01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Try the bouncy band on the desk legs thing?

http://bouncybands.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Timmeh
01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
You can try giving him a stress ball or fidget toy to play around with while he is writing. If standing doesn't work, try giving him an exercise ball to sit on.

msommers
02-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Appreciate the suggestions guys. We'll see how this week goes :)