PDA

View Full Version : lame cop

rush
03-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Last night I got a ticket for having a widened exhaust ?
When I was asking what the law against the ticket was, the info I was given was simply that it was "widened" and that it wasn't stock. The cop had no idea, was just a dumbass with nothing better to do.
Had it been for noise violation or something i would undertsand, but fuck a widened exhaust is bullshit.
It is not even big, and the thing that pisses me off is that alot of cars are coming from the dealership with big tips now
Perfect example, take a look in that "extreme civic thread"
If I supply a pic of my exhaust with a ruler showing it's width and a pic of a civic in a dealership with just as wide a tip, will the ticket be thrown out ?"
Willl this ticket be easy to beat in court, anybody have any similar experiences?

hjr
03-15-2004, 09:52 PM
if its bigger than stock then it is indeed illegal. sorry. but you could fight it if you want.

izzoblitzo
03-15-2004, 09:54 PM
hmm.. the exhaust tips at dealerships (well, an example would be this weekend's carshow.. there were a couple cars with modified exhausts.. although they wernt as big as aftermarket) The ones found at most dealerships are just basically the exhaust tips, and they stem from the skinny neck still.. compared to many of these 4.5" exhaust tips on these shiny vroom vroom muffler systems, cocked n1 style. Does it say anywhere that it cant be aftermarket/modified?

I can understand if they're gonna say that the dealership ones had been tested, and all that jazz though. I think someone on here tried to fight it once, but ended up paying for the ticket, because he had to prove that he had taken the muffler off and switched back to stock.

:dunno:

serusnak
03-15-2004, 09:55 PM
ouch, how much was the ticket? My honda's not exactly new, 1988 so I don't really have to worry about that kind of stuff... you could fight it but if it's illegal... good luck....

izzoblitzo
03-15-2004, 09:59 PM
on a side note.. has anyone gotten a ticket for their aftermarket exhaust that had a silencer on it??

well, for one thing, they dont sound as loud, and are less noticable around the corner and down the street.. secondly, the way the silencer looks in the muffler, it almost looks like you're using some kind of rice mod, where you got a false aftermarket exhaust looking facia that goes around the stock exhaust.. it actually does look like there's a stockie inside your muffler.

I've never been pulled over before. And I've had countless police cars drive by me before. (I've got a 3.5" muffler with silencer)

But the stakes are always high in the tuner biz. If you're gonna tune, be prepared to pay the price.. tickets, fines, unesscessary attention... vandaism.. etc etc.:whipped:

rush
03-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Yeah the thing is all that's written on the ticket is "widened tip"
My tip is the exact same size as those that come on the civic "extreme" or "street edition"......so no it is not bigger than stock, it is only a 2 or 2.5" tip I think, nothing too big at all

rush
03-15-2004, 10:02 PM
izzoblitzo.........no it wasnt for a noise violation, that was my first question, since I have a silencer I could easlily put in.

izzoblitzo
03-15-2004, 10:05 PM
hmm.. 2inches ish?

well.. is it enough to notice it's been modified?

or does it just look too shiny, like those exhaust tip facia things you get at Part Source?

I dont think those facia things are illegal, even though some look widened.. because its not the actual tip being widened, only adding something that gives it the appearence that it's widened.

However, if it really is widened, you could push your luck and fight it.. but its a tuffy, Im bankin.

izzoblitzo
03-15-2004, 10:06 PM
were you doing anything to prompt them to pull you over? like, acting suspicious, or speeding, or whatever? sometimes, they'll pull you over for silly things just to check out if the car is stolen or something like that.. and ticket you for lil things as an excuse to pull you over.

rush
03-15-2004, 10:08 PM
no man, actually was behind them on macleod,
they slowed right down to 50, so staying behind would've looked suspicious, I passed them at the speed limit then they followed me for 5 mins with their spotlight on

rx7_turbo2
03-15-2004, 10:44 PM
The wording of that actual law is kind of strange and vauge. If you do a search on this forum for that topic you will find the actual wording, someone posted it. Basically it says the exhuast tip can not be enlarged or widened. It does NOT mention stock or OEM as a refrence. I would fight it and see where it gets you. Just argue you didnt alter the tip of the system at all, that's the way it comes from the aftermarket. I have yet to deal with this problem but given the size of my exhuast I imagine I will have to in the near future.

crazydriver
03-16-2004, 12:12 AM
ya wasn't there another guy that had the same problem???? i'll try to get the link... but by all means go fight it...

afchack
03-16-2004, 05:52 AM
OMG NEWBIES!!!

Z_Fan
03-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Uhm, how much is the ticket?

That's all I want to know.

googe
03-16-2004, 07:38 AM
yes, it doesnt matter if you know of stock ones wider than yours, the law is that you cant put on a wider tip. so, car A comes stock with a 3" tip, car B comes with a 1". if car B switches to 3", car B is illegal and car A is not, even though both are the same

but if your tip is not wider than stock at all, the ticket would be dropped if you tried to fight it

nosegrindR
03-16-2004, 10:09 AM
wider exahust,

fight it newbie, bring in pictures of your stock exhaust if you wanna lie. if not, just talk to JP and hopefully they'll lower the ticket for you

sputnik
03-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by rush
izzoblitzo.........no it wasnt for a noise violation, that was my first question, since I have a silencer I could easlily put in.

COULD put in? Why wasnt it in to begin with?

Perhaps it was the horrible racket that caused them to follow you in the first place. The reason that they gave you an "illegal exaust" ticket in the first place is that it is harder for you to fight compared to a "noise violation".

ShOwOfF
03-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by afchack
OMG NEWBIES!!!

:dunno:

dasdin
03-16-2004, 09:10 PM
its probably a $57 dollar ticket, a buddie of mine got one for having a white blinker...
just go talk 2 the prosecutor and he''ll drop it
its a bs ticket... quite ez 2 get rid of.

rush
03-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Sputnik what are you such an angry little man for?
My exhuast is not loud at all, didn't even come with a silencer,however I got one just incase I ever got a noise violation ticket, since it is louder than stock.

Dasdin thanks that souinds a little more promising !

91rss
03-16-2004, 11:12 PM
How do the hot rods and any car with a dual exhaust etc installed,get around the law..or for that matter any transport truck or tow truck with dual stacks installed...or any oil patch truck that was hand built get the bye...Would the cop not need to know what the correct size is before hand is,,With dangerous goods, any guy that stops you has to have a dangerous goods card to question you re the dangerous goods you have on board..

Ichigo
03-16-2004, 11:18 PM
What part of the city is this?? I've been driving with my N1 with no silencer (I'm cheap cant afford a $70 silencer) for like 2 years now.. Cops tail me.. I tail cops still nothing.

rx7_turbo2
03-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by googe
yes, it doesnt matter if you know of stock ones wider than yours, the law is that you cant put on a wider tip. so, car A comes stock with a 3" tip, car B comes with a 1". if car B switches to 3", car B is illegal and car A is not, even though both are the same

but if your tip is not wider than stock at all, the ticket would be dropped if you tried to fight it

How do they know what the "stock" size is. And like I said the actual law mentions nothing about stock or OEM or anything like that, it just says you can't widen or enlarge it. I have not widened or enlarged it whatsoever, infact since I bought the exhuast system I have never even touched the tips.

I understand the majority of these types of laws. Loud systems are a public comfort issue. Coloured lights are a safety issue, like tinting a drivers side window. But the size of my exhuast? That's purely cosmetic, why not give me a ticket because my car's silver? It doesnt make any sense.

hyperwhite
03-17-2004, 06:26 PM
i don't know alberta laws but a law against exhaust tips is bull shit! it's just a tip, it doesn't do anything. the muffler and piping make it louder. that is one of the gayist laws i've ever heard of. it just doesn't make any sense :dunno: