PDA

View Full Version : Flying Squirrel Trampoline place

C_Dave45
01-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Went there this afternoon for the boy's 21st Birthday.
Holy shit this place is a blast!!! And talk about a workout! I thought lacing up the skates and getting on the ice was hard...nothing compared to an hour on trampolines!!

Slam dunk, dodge ball, rope climbing, foam pit, Trampolines everywhere!! Good music thumping. Well worth $20 an hour.

That is all.

codetrap
01-31-2016, 11:53 PM

danno
02-01-2016, 08:48 AM
What age groups would you reccomend for kids?

Maxx Mazda
02-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Went there with some friends for "neon night" where they turn all the lights off and blast the music. Had an awesome time.

mr2mike
02-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Was always contemplating. Evenings must be better if you're a grown adult. No kids to accidentally hurt.

vengie
02-01-2016, 10:48 AM
I've been to a very similar place in White City. When I first went in I thought an hour would be far too short! 10 mins later I am sucking wind... Turns out an hour is more than adequate :rofl: :rofl:

spike98
02-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Extreme Air Park is the same theme. Took my 8 year old there for his birthday with 7 friends and 5 out of the 8 fell asleep in the car on the way home. Pretty cost effective way to hold a birthday and burn some of that P&V energy.

C_Dave45
02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by danno
What age groups would you reccomend for kids?
Oh any age. I saw a little guy, must've been barely 4 years old boinking along with a big smile on his face. Sunday afternoon there were tons of kids in the 10 year old range. Separate areas for just smaller kids, but they can go anywhere they like too.
Nice big area for parents and non-jumpers to stand and watch/supervise. You only pay if you're jumping. Leather couches in various places. We grabbed one and parked our backpacks, cameras, water bottle etc.and the few of those who weren't jumping hung out there.

Masked Bandit
02-01-2016, 01:47 PM
How are the knees today Dave? lol

My kids have been a few times for various b'day parties but two weeks ago was the first time I've gone. An hour was plenty and my knees reminded me for a few days that I'm not 17 any more. It was a blast though and I'll go again for sure.

SmAcKpOo
02-01-2016, 01:48 PM
My ex took me there on my last birthday. As a 30+ year old man that shit is hard. Totally worth it though.

C_Dave45
02-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
How are the knees today Dave? lol

My kids have been a few times for various b'day parties but two weeks ago was the first time I've gone. An hour was plenty and my knees reminded me for a few days that I'm not 17 any more. It was a blast though and I'll go again for sure.
Haha...you know it!! I'm in a lot of pain. Knees AND my back. I felt the back twinge when my older boy and I were "double bouncing" each other.

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
My ex took me there on my last birthday. As a 30+ year old man that shit is hard. Totally worth it though.
Try it at 52!! I'm still going back though!!

ArjayAquino
02-01-2016, 04:32 PM
went there for a company event, it was fun times for sure. it was in the early evening so there were a ton of kids.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Ah I'm always bouldering at the CCC Hanger across the lot from Flying Squirrel and I keep meaning to check it out! Looks like a lot of fun.

asp integra
02-01-2016, 04:56 PM
I went a few weeks ago for a buddies 29th b day (weird little tradition we have of doing stupid things for b days) anyways, we went on a Saturday night for the neon thing, 9-12 for $25 and we only lasted 1;45 mins. Great time jumping around, trying different dunks, playing dodge ball and just bouncing around.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I love that place but I always lose my glasses during dodgeball.

403ep3
02-01-2016, 08:04 PM
First time I went I thought I could do the whole thing without a sweat. Oh, boy, was I wrong.

Lasted maybe 10 minutes till I had to take a break. Good exercise for sure. Not somewhere to go before a dinner though unless you want to stink.

Clever
02-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Went to Extreme Air Park, another trampoline park with the kids not too long ago, it was the foam pits I had problems with. It was an absolute blast, wish they'd open one in the south though.

jwslam
02-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Are there still horror stories at Extreme Air Park?

(shitty staff, many areas pyloned off, duct tape used to fix holes, etc)

str8jkt
02-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Are there still horror stories at Extreme Air Park?

(shitty staff, many areas pyloned off, duct tape used to fix holes, etc)

We just had our sons birthday party there mid-January.

I wouldn't call it horror stories but they are severely understaffed in my opinion. There is not enough staff and weekends are a complete mess with all of the parties being held. Way too many people let on to jump at once and very disorganized with everyone checking in, parties leaving (parents trying to pick up kids), people putting on shoes, etc.. all in the same lobby area.

We went with extreme over flying squirrel because the party cost was half. I'm sure you get what you pay for.

One other thing about extreme airpark is that there is no water fountains. You get gassed jumping and thankfully since this was our second time here we knew to bring a flat of water for the kids to drink.

All areas were open (none blocked off with pylons or tape or anything)

mazdavirgin
02-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Ah I'm always bouldering at the CCC Hanger across the lot from Flying Squirrel and I keep meaning to check it out! Looks like a lot of fun.

Do they finally have stuff set that's actually hard? Last time I stopped in there I completed all but two of the C5's and decided going there was a waste of my time...

sexualbanana
02-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I love that place but I always lose my glasses during dodgeball.

Goggles, man.

http://mstabosz.com/mywebpage/homework/sportspage/images/gordon.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
02-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Do they finally have stuff set that's actually hard? Last time I stopped in there I completed all but two of the C5's and decided going there was a waste of my time...

Couldn't tell ya, C5s are still pretty tough projects for me. I just go to the Hanger because it's nice and close to my house (plus I like their rolling reset system). The Chinook location is still their best bouldering facility by a mile.

milesmcewing
02-02-2016, 01:57 PM
I have a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon.......

He says that place is the biggest source of work for him.
Lots of kids getting injured there.

I'm too fat and too lazy so I suspect I won't find out first hand.

Cheers!

Mitsu3000gt
02-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Has anyone been to both the trampline parks in the city? Is one better than the other for 'adults'? I went to the "Xtreme Air" one once, but left because there was 1,000,000 kids and I didn't think they would have appreciated us jumping around.

03ozwhip
02-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Been there, took my kid and fml I was sore. I couldn't believe it. I could barely get out if the foam pit. I'm so out of shape haha

mazdavirgin
02-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Couldn't tell ya, C5s are still pretty tough projects for me. I just go to the Hanger because it's nice and close to my house (plus I like their rolling reset system). The Chinook location is still their best bouldering facility by a mile.

Fair enough yeah. CCC Chinook has pretty good bouldering well way better than the other locations that for sure. The Crux over in the NE by barlow has some really nice setting and is much quieter which is really nice. More ghetto though since they are not rolling in cash like CCC.

Boosted131
02-04-2016, 12:35 PM
I've gone there a bunch of times and always came back tired, sore, with a pulled muscle somewhere, but it was worth it haha

Swank
02-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Oh this is a great idea for a valentine date, the woman and I would love this! What's the recommended attire there? I'm guessing shorts and a t-shirt would be comfy, although if it's -20 outside that might be a pain. Do they have change rooms? I see they insist on trampoline socks, they must sell those there. Please, no rental socks :barf:

C_Dave45
02-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Yes you buy the socks and keep them for future visits. ($4? IIRC)
It's warm inside. Shorts and T-shirt. There is a large washroom where a lot of people changed. Large lockers as well. Water fountain, plus a cafeteria for food.

Swank
02-04-2016, 05:18 PM
^perfecto, thanks mate!

klumsy_tumbler
02-05-2016, 12:33 PM
er.... what exactly are these "trampoline socks"? How are they different from normal socks? :confused: :confused: :confused:

drtoohotty1
02-05-2016, 12:36 PM
They have little plastic non slip grips on the bottom

jwslam
02-05-2016, 01:03 PM
So like yoga socks?

Maxx Mazda
02-05-2016, 01:21 PM
They're $4... Just buy them.

Canmorite
02-05-2016, 03:15 PM
If you take your regular socks on you will slide all over the place on the trampolines. Go barefoot or buy the socks.

klumsy_tumbler
02-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
If you take your regular socks on you will slide all over the place on the trampolines. Go barefoot or buy the socks.

I'm having trouble believing that... The only way you should "slide all over the place" is if you're flying around wildly with zero control...

Originally posted by drtoohotty1
They have little plastic non slip grips on the bottom

How silly. FWIW, many people compete in normal socks, the only requirements being that they had to be white.

C_Dave45
02-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler

I'm having trouble believing that... The only way you should "slide all over the place" is if you're flying around wildly with zero control...

How silly. FWIW, many people compete in normal socks, the only requirements being that they had to be white.

You HAVE to wear their socks. It's not an option. And you ARE flying wildly around when you're going from trampoline to trampoline. You don't just jump straight up and down.
The socks are a must. It's like saying you don't need cleats to play soccer.

jwslam
01-10-2017, 10:57 AM
And this is how places like this come to a close:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3170982/sherwood-park-teen-breaks-his-neck-at-trampoline-park-family/

Sherwood Park teen breaks his neck at trampoline park: family

The older brother of an 18-year-old Sherwood Park man says his brother is scheduled to undergo surgery Tuesday after allegedly breaking his neck at a trampoline park east of Edmonton.

On Monday night, Jordan Smith told Global News the incident happened Saturday evening when his brother Landon went to Jump Park Trampoline in Sherwood Park, Alta. to attend a child’s birthday party with his girlfriend and her family.

“It was actually just his first jump,” Smith said, adding his brother had been to different trampoline parks nearly a dozen times before.

“He actually bottomed out the trampoline… it’s obviously a foam pit, and then the floor of the foam pit’s a trampoline, and then after the trampoline is concrete. So he bottomed out the foam pit.”

Smith wasn’t there but said people who were with his brother told him it was Landon’s girlfriend who found him after and realized something had gone terribly wrong. “He obviously had gone under and they couldn’t see him in the foam pit, and the girl he was with… she thought he was just kind of joking around so all the little kids were like, ‘Landon, get out of the way, we want to go,'” he said.

“After about five minutes of everybody thinking he was joking… (the girl he was with) jumped in the foam pit, found his leg… and that’s when somebody was like, ‘call 911 right now.’

“He goes into surgery tomorrow but right now, based on the MRI and stuff like that, he’s got a broken neck… and some damage to his spinal cord and some torn ligaments in the actual neck itself,” Smith said, adding doctors were waiting to perform the surgery until Landon’s swelling had gone down.

According to Smith, his brother was able to wiggle his toes on Sunday but was in and out of consciousness while in the ambulance because it’s believed Landon also hit his head on the concrete.

Jump Park Trampoline issued a statement about the incident on its Facebook page Monday. “We would like to confirm that there was an incident at our facility over this past weekend where an 18-year-old guest was injured in our foam pit,” the statement said in part. “We are in contact with his family and offering any support we can.”

Jump Park Trampoline added its foam pit “is industry standard with 3.5 feet of foam blocks resting above an extra precautionary trampoline above the facility’s floor.” It also said safety was its top priority and that trained professionals had completed a “thorough inspection of all parts of the foam pit and the precautionary trampoline, and have been advised that there are no defects with the equipment.”

The venue also said it would continue to inspect its equipment on a daily basis.

“We are committed to the safety of our guests and will continue to cause our equipment to be inspected on a daily basis as we have since we opened.”

Tik-Tok
01-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Fuck did he do, go in head first?

mazdavirgin
01-10-2017, 11:11 AM
:dunno: WTF did he do jump head first into the pit?

Thaco
01-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Fuck did he do, go in head first? he must have, and every one i see what has these foam pits says no diving, most you're not even allowed to attempt anything more than a single flip or a flop

mazdavirgin
01-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
he must have, and every one i see what has these foam pits says no diving, most you're not even allowed to attempt anything more than a single flip or a flop

Yeah... I mean you can break your neck if you land on a trampoline quite easily when doing inverts. Which is why generally you always will see people learning inverts with a coach/spotter who stands next to you ready to push you past the danger point. You never want to land on your head or neck...

suntan
01-10-2017, 11:57 AM
This place is a goddamned mess.

Way too many people at once. Owners getting greedy. Staff do their best but just way too many people for them to control.

I've heard better experiences from here:

http://www.injanation.com/

Thaco
01-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by suntan
This place is a goddamned mess.

Way too many people at once. Owners getting greedy. Staff do their best but just way too many people for them to control.

I've heard better experiences from here:

http://www.injanation.com/ we were at flying squirrel like 2 weeks ago, it was clean and not really that busy, we got to do what we wanted when and where, kids waited in maybe a 2 person line for most of the foam pits or the obstical course, i wouldn't call it busy

obviously going to be very dependent on when you go

Rocket1k78
01-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Went to Flying Squirrel last year and the group in front of us had an accident in the foam pit too, the guy ended up kneeing himself in the face when he landed and got a bloody nose.

It'll be interesting to see how the broken neck plays out, i know we signed electronic waivers before hand. Im actually surprised there arent more injuries at these places.

Swank
01-10-2017, 01:42 PM
^Same here, busiest I've seen it but still had no problem finding a place to bounce. Still a very enjoyable place for me.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Waivers are less useful than you think in terms of a corporation protecting themselves from lawsuits. If it's true negligence, the waiver doesn't help, and if it isn't, as far as I know it's not that tough to defend.

Thaco
01-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Waivers are less useful than you think in terms of a corporation protecting themselves from lawsuits. If it's true negligence, the waiver doesn't help, and if it isn't, as far as I know it's not that tough to defend. the waivers are normally just an insurance obligation, you can still sue them but insurance will cover it, where as without the waiver insurance will tell the company they're on their own.

suntan
01-10-2017, 04:02 PM
There were around 10 birthday parties when I went. It was the weekend. There were some kids obviously from the NE that didn't give a shit who they were bumping into.

RX_EVOLV
01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Are they still in business? Drove by it yesterday and saw the sign was down

Tik-Tok
01-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
Are they still in business? Drove by it yesterday and saw the sign was down

Yes, I was there just before Christmas, and the sign was down then. I think that wicked windstorm we had that week blew it off.

Thaco
01-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yes, I was there just before Christmas, and the sign was down then. I think that wicked windstorm we had that week blew it off. pretty sure it was vandalism, several of their windows had cracks, looked like someone was doing some target practice with an BB gun or something

JfuckinC
01-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by suntan
There were some kids obviously from the NE that didn't give a shit who they were bumping into.

:rofl: :rofl:

Swank
01-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Website says they are aiming to open a SE location this year.