PDA

View Full Version : Summer Tow Rig - Options

Pages : [1] 2 3

ExtraSlow
02-01-2016, 10:54 AM
As some of you may know, I sold my pickup and downsized for economic reasons recently. However, in the summer time, I tow a 8000lb camping trailer five or trips for a Max of 28 days of truck usage. I'm looking for suggestions or critiques of my plans to accomplish this for the summer of 2016.

Option 1) Rent a truck when i need it. Advantage, newer reliable truck, no ongoing obligations. Disadvantage, hassle of picking it up and dropping it off each time, 100% sunk costs, plus many rental agreements (or all?) forbid towing. I estimate for the

Option 2) Buy truck for summer and sell in Fall. Several good options available in the $25,000 area, and in the $15,000 depending on how old of a truck I want to use. Advantage, no time limits like renting, less hassle picking up, possibly low overall cost if I can sell the truck for close to what I bought it for. Disadvantage, high capital cost outlay, would be on the hook for any repairs.

Option 3) sell my cheap car and just get myself back into a truck full time. Advantage, I'm a truck guy, and I'd love a newer truck. Disadvantage, Vehicle payment is hard to justify for a guy on EI.

Had considered trying to beg and borrow trucks from my buddies, but that's probably not realistic for the length of time I'm looking at. One or two weekends that would be possible.

My family extracts a lot of value from our trips in the trailer, and I don't think we want to forgo that for a year if we can help it.

I've posted a poll, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I feel like I've thought this through, but I haven't decided on one option yet, so I don't think I'm pulling a Mar here.

killramos
02-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I would buy a dirt cheap truck, well under the costs you mentioned. Like under 10. and be done with it. Heck it could be 2wd for what you are using it for.

Lots of decent options out there right now. I had a buddy pick up a decent SCrew F150 from like 08 or something for like 8 grand. Runs and tows like clockwork, is comfortable, cheap to maintain and insure.

90_Shelby
02-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Sell the trailer and buy a tent or tent trailer you can tow with your car.

Disoblige
02-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Option 4: Get a new trailer :D

http://i47.tinypic.com/1jmb91.jpg

Rocket1k78
02-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Hard to really give a proper answer without knowing your financial situation. If you're on EI with little to no savings then the answer is pretty straight forward, no holidays. If you're on EI with some money in the bank(and a possibility of working soon) then i'd cut it down to maybe 1 or 2 trips and just rent a truck. If you had to sell your truck for economic reasons you would be making a huge mistake to go and finance a truck now when you only need it purely for pleasure.

R154
02-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
Hard to really give a proper answer without knowing your financial situation. If you're on EI with little to no savings then the answer is pretty straight forward, no holidays. If you're on EI with some money in the bank(and a possibility of working soon) then i'd cut it down to maybe 1 or 2 trips and just rent a truck. If you had to sell your truck for economic reasons you would be making a huge mistake to go and finance a truck now when you only need it purely for pleasure.

lol. He isnt asking for financial advice. He didnt sell his truck because he couldnt afford it either. He did so because he is intelligent and saw value in consolidating. beyond never fails to disappoint when others are dolling financial advice.

My vote is option 2. Selling a truck is never difficult. It doesnt have to be expensive either. You may even be able to make money if you find someone with a distressed vehicle.

I'm pretty sure in the 10K<x<15K market you could find an ugly but reliable diesel, let alone a gasser that will work out.

Goodluck.

R154
02-01-2016, 11:33 AM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/gmc-sierra-slt-crew-cab-lly-duramax/1136877010?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or

Leap of faith:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-gmc-2500hd-sle-diesel-duramax-4x4/1136413828?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

killramos
02-01-2016, 11:36 AM
^ I think he could get away with a half ton considering thats what he had before.

R154
02-01-2016, 11:43 AM
He could, but owning a diesel for a short period of time is just something every man should get to experience.

Do it killy.

never
02-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
As some of you may know, I sold my pickup and downsized for economic reasons recently. However, in the summer time, I tow a 8000lb camping trailer five or trips for a Max of 28 days of truck usage. I'm looking for suggestions or critiques of my plans to accomplish this for the summer of 2016.

Option 1) Rent a truck when i need it. Advantage, newer reliable truck, no ongoing obligations. Disadvantage, hassle of picking it up and dropping it off each time, 100% sunk costs, plus many rental agreements (or all?) forbid towing. I estimate for the

Option 2) Buy truck for summer and sell in Fall. Several good options available in the $25,000 area, and in the $15,000 depending on how old of a truck I want to use. Advantage, no time limits like renting, less hassle picking up, possibly low overall cost if I can sell the truck for close to what I bought it for. Disadvantage, high capital cost outlay, would be on the hook for any repairs.

Option 3) sell my cheap car and just get myself back into a truck full time. Advantage, I'm a truck guy, and I'd love a newer truck. Disadvantage, Vehicle payment is hard to justify for a guy on EI.

Had considered trying to beg and borrow trucks from my buddies, but that's probably not realistic for the length of time I'm looking at. One or two weekends that would be possible.

My family extracts a lot of value from our trips in the trailer, and I don't think we want to forgo that for a year if we can help it.

I've posted a poll, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I feel like I've thought this through, but I haven't decided on one option yet, so I don't think I'm pulling a Mar here.

Looks like some of your thoughts on Option 1 are missing...what are estimated annual rental costs?

HiTempguy1
02-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by killramos
I would buy a dirt cheap truck, well under the costs you mentioned. Like under 10. and be done with it. Heck it could be 2wd for what you are using it for.

Lots of decent options out there right now. I had a buddy pick up a decent SCrew F150 from like 08 or something for like 8 grand. Runs and tows like clockwork, is comfortable, cheap to maintain and insure.

When this guy is right, he's right.

I would say even under $10k. Most ~2003 and newer half tons will tow 8k+ lbs with the proper towing package.

My buddy has a 2004 crewcab 4x4 1500 sierra. Fully loaded (not InRich fully loaded, actual full load for the year). Rated to tow 8600lbs.

~350,000kms on it, brand new GM transmission 50k kms ago. Has had synthetic ran in it since 140k kms. I bet he would take $4k for it. I owned the truck for a while, has a nice tow tune, easily hauled 7k lbs through the mountains.

gpomp
02-01-2016, 12:04 PM
What's the towing capacity of the recession fighter? :D

ExtraSlow
02-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for the considered responses.

Originally posted by never
Looks like some of your thoughts on Option 1 are missing...what are estimated annual rental costs? Forgot to put that in. I have looked into it, and I estimate my costs for this length of rental would be around $2000 including taxes.

When looking at used trucks, a well equipped half ton can tow this trailer, although used 3/4 or 1 ton trucks are also widely available for similar prices. As for Gas vs Diesel, I know the diesel engines would pull harder, but am I opening myself up to some maintenance costs or issues? I am much more familiar with the gas options out there.

Please keep these thoughts coming, this is excellent.

s_havinga
02-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Gas is cheap- you cant afford not to drive a truck right now... haha. Honestly, I have the same debate, I have a loaded 2500HD Duramax bought specifically for towing our holiday trailer. I drive my commuter car half the time to work and back because it feels silly to be driving a big truck unloaded back and forth. I have considered selling my truck, buying an older 2500 gasser to only use for camping trips and upgrading the commuter car BUT I'm a truck guy and I love the creature comforts I have in my truck, when we travel with the trailer we are generally doing a lot of driving so I prefer to be comfortable. Also, with the kids, the crew cab is necessary and a little harder to find in the older trucks.

In summary, Economically I still think that owning a cheaper (<$8K) tow rig and having a commuter car for day to day life makes the most sense but personally I love my truck and have chose option 3 "Buy a truck and Keep"

gogreen
02-01-2016, 01:24 PM
I voted Option 4 but just to suggest another route that may not have been considered. Is there any merit to consolidating the trailer and tow vehicle into one unit by switching to a motorhome or camper van?

Originally posted by gpomp

If it's out of warranty, a pretty savage 2000 lb. ;)

ExtraSlow
02-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Option 4: Get a new trailer :D
http://i47.tinypic.com/1jmb91.jpg
Originally posted by gpomp
Originally posted by gogreen
If it's out of warranty, a pretty savage 2000 lb. ;) The recession fighter is far too savage for tow duty, I'd end up driving far too quickly up the hills and probably get a bunch of speeding tickets.:devil:

As for motorhome or camper van, that's not my preference. I have a trailer that is paid for, and that fits our family really well.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
Originally posted by R154
lol. He isnt asking for financial advice. He didnt sell his truck because he couldnt afford it either. He did so because he is intelligent and saw value in consolidating. beyond never fails to disappoint when others are dolling financial advice. I appreciate the perspective from Rocket1k78, I agree I haven't given enough financial data to fully analyse the situation. Let's just say that I'm no beyond baller, but I'm also not BuffaloSoldier either.

R154 is pretty close. I sold the truck because I owned it outright, and I saw no reason to be driving a $23k vehicle when I could drive something $15k cheaper and use that money to prevent taking on debt while I figure out a revised long term economic plan. I'm really happy with how that has worked out, and I am certain it was a smart move.

My philosophy with vehicles has always been that they are tools, and I don't get terribly attached to them. I'm always comfortable switching rides if my needs change.

Part of the reason I'm posting this poll/question in February is that I want to have a plan made well ahead of summer. I recognize that in five months time, I will probably be in a different financial situation, could be better or worse. I'm not pulling the trigger on any changes to my current vehicle situation until I need to.

Again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I suspect this discussion will bring some useful information to others who may be in a similar situation.

never
02-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for the considered responses.
Forgot to put that in. I have looked into it, and I estimate my costs for this length of rental would be around $2000 including taxes.

Is that $2k for the total estimated 28 days?

mzdspd
02-01-2016, 02:26 PM
I guess it really depends on your financials.. If it was me, I would probably buy a summer tow rig and sell it in the fall (especially if you are on EI).

I would just be cautious with what you buy. I would not buy a used diesel (unless newer with warranty) cause they tend to be driven pretty hard. There are cases where you do find a good one for a good price but that is easier said then done.

If you buy any 2009 + Ram or Sierra. They tend to be pretty reliable. And you may be able to find a good deal if you are not in a rush. I can see it pretty easy to find one in good shape and then you can use it for the summer and re sell. Or you can keep it.

I just would not buy an older truck, It can either be bullet proof or a money pit.

redblack
02-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Rent COS's truck, he won't be towing nothing with a new baby on the way.

Rocket1k78
02-01-2016, 03:49 PM

lol. He isnt asking for financial advice. He didnt sell his truck because he couldnt afford it either. He did so because he is intelligent and saw value in consolidating. beyond never fails to disappoint when others are dolling financial advice.

Hey please accept my apology for upsetting you:poosie: . OP is asking for advice on a potential vehicle purchase/rental while hes on EI, maybe im old school but anything that involves large sums of money is finances in my books:dunno: and how the hell am i supposed to know Extraslow sold his truck because he didnt need it and could get by with a cheaper vehicle?

I appreciate the perspective from Rocket1k78, I agree I haven't given enough financial data to fully analyse the situation. Let's just say that I'm no beyond baller, but I'm also not BuffaloSoldier either.

Thank you, i wasnt wanting to know your full financial story but a little bit more info would help the cause imo. FWIW you manned up huge by selling your truck for a cheaper car!

ExtraSlow
02-01-2016, 05:50 PM

Is that $2k for the total estimated 28 days?
Yeah, around $500 per week. I actually may be able to do better, but I'm not calling in my favours for a hypothetical situation yet.

r3ccOs
02-01-2016, 06:54 PM
push comes to shove, you have a 8000+ trailer that really should be pulled by a 3/4 ton...

I have a 7600 32 footer, and with water pushes into the mid 8k territory and it really is not "half ton" towable even though its rated and my truck is rated for it.

see if you can get a used 2wd 1500HD/2500 and use it as a "truck".

revelations
02-01-2016, 07:00 PM

Yeah, around $500 per week. I actually may be able to do better, but I'm not calling in my favours for a hypothetical situation yet.

For 2500$ I bought a 2001 F250 SuperDuty 3/4 ton
4x4 fully loaded/leather.

V10 gas - 12mpg but should last to 400,000kms - no issues like diesels of this vintage would.

Sugarphreak
02-01-2016, 07:03 PM

quick_scar
02-01-2016, 07:19 PM

Leap of faith:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-gmc-2500hd-sle-diesel-duramax-4x4/1136413828?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This was my old truck. Had an issue with the t-case, swapped it and was great after that. Would make a cheap tow rig (I used it for hauling a 16ft flatdeck with cars/quads).

Sold it to an old co-worker. He takes care of his shit. He bought it to tow a summer trailer but ended up taking the other truck he mentions in the ad and didn't use this one much. Good guy and a good truck. Always started, never broke down. No issues with the engine when I had it. Was a blast to drive :)

Cos
02-01-2016, 07:44 PM

btimbit
02-01-2016, 07:48 PM
I'd also just get a mid to late 2000's used truck. So much to be had for less than 10k. Hell you could probably get away with spending $5000 and still get something decent

blownz
02-02-2016, 11:44 AM
I would personally do one of two things:

1. I prefer to look at long term and if long term you are not worried about the money or getting another job and you are a "truck guy" then just buy another truck and don't complicate your life.

2. If you would rather be more conservative, and you think you will be unemployed for the summer, maybe look into a campground close to home you can park your trailer for the summer for a reasonable price. You only need a truck two days so easy to borrow from someone, you will then have lots of time to spend out there for the summer and travel costs will be cheap since you aren't towing every time.

You have time still so I would wait until around May and then consider options based on your condition then.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
02-02-2016, 11:56 AM
been trolling kijiji and yes, there are some pretty good options under $10k. Hell, even could get a very sexy Econoline van, those are great tow rigs, and make all the panties wet . . .

Aleks
02-02-2016, 12:13 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396790/fs-2005-gmc-1500hd-crewcab-white/

r3ccOs
02-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by blownz
I would personally do one of two things:

1. I prefer to look at long term and if long term you are not worried about the money or getting another job and you are a &quot;truck guy&quot; then just buy another truck and don't complicate your life.

2. If you would rather be more conservative, and you think you will be unemployed for the summer, maybe look into a campground close to home you can park your trailer for the summer for a reasonable price. You only need a truck two days so easy to borrow from someone, you will then have lots of time to spend out there for the summer and travel costs will be cheap since you aren't towing every time.

You have time still so I would wait until around May and then consider options based on your condition then.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

werd...

don't be my neighbor who's now superfcuked and selling his place.

Early Summer, got laid off from Kewitt and said... well there will be plenty of work come September, I'm just going to enjoy life till then.

he then took the family RVing, purchasing 2 new quads, a sled deck and oh... a new Duramax diesel, as he needed the additional payload of a 1 ton to carry those quads with the tongue weight of his trailer.

SOAB
02-02-2016, 12:28 PM
my personal choice would be to buy a truck and drive it as my daily. I love driving my truck. I am actually selling my truck and getting a Lariat for a daily driver and towing duties.

a few things to consider when buying older, used trucks for strictly towing duties.

1: reliability is questionable. age is definitely a factor when towing, especially if the truck is going to sit for long periods of time in between camping trips. will this used truck leave you and your family stranded with no way to get you and the trailer home?

buy a used $10k truck and put another couple thousand into it to make it tow-worthy just to turn around and sell it a few months down the road and most likely take a big loss?

2: payload of older half-tons are probably lacking for your 8000lb trailer. your tongue weight is probably in the 1000-1200lb area. add in your family and gear, you could be pushing 1800lbs, if not more. most half-tons that are well optioned are in the neighborhood of 1300-1500lbs of payload.

are you comfortable knowing that you'll be a few hundred pounds overweight?

I know which way I chose. I went from a 2005 F150 Lariat with 1300lbs of payload which towed my trailer just fine but I was over my GVWR by about 300lbs. I added airbags and E-rated tires which definitely helped the towing experience. although she towed just perfectly, knowing I was overweight was a cause for concern for me knowing my family is usually in the truck with me while towing.

I traded her in on my current 2014 F150 Eco with about 1800lbs of payload. but it's an XTR with Max tow and lacks a lot of the creature comforts that I miss from my 05 Lariat.

now my 2016 Lariat with the HD Payload and max tow package should be arriving in July with the mid-size box (longer wheel base) and probably about 2300lbs payload will be perfect. it will give me lots of headroom for hauling my family and trailer and not having to worry about what goes where.

I considered the idea of having just a dedicated towing vehicle but that is another vehicle to ensure, another to maintain and I'd have to drive either my wife's minivan or a smaller car.

Strider
02-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Phone around and see if you can get any local Ram dealers to match this ad (from the Toronto Star)
Excuse the sideways photo, it's not mine
http://i67.tinypic.com/2nhkc5y.jpg
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/2016-dodge-ram-1500-sxt-4x4-228-month-o_o-1913107/

r3ccOs
02-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
my personal choice would be to buy a truck and drive it as my daily. I love driving my truck. I am actually selling my truck and getting a Lariat for a daily driver and towing duties.

a few things to consider when buying older, used trucks for strictly towing duties.

1: reliability is questionable. age is definitely a factor when towing, especially if the truck is going to sit for long periods of time in between camping trips. will this used truck leave you and your family stranded with no way to get you and the trailer home?

buy a used $10k truck and put another couple thousand into it to make it tow-worthy just to turn around and sell it a few months down the road and most likely take a big loss?

2: payload of older half-tons are probably lacking for your 8000lb trailer. your tongue weight is probably in the 1000-1200lb area. add in your family and gear, you could be pushing 1800lbs, if not more. most half-tons that are well optioned are in the neighborhood of 1300-1500lbs of payload.

are you comfortable knowing that you'll be a few hundred pounds overweight?

I know which way I chose. I went from a 2005 F150 Lariat with 1300lbs of payload which towed my trailer just fine but I was over my GVWR by about 300lbs. I added airbags and E-rated tires which definitely helped the towing experience. although she towed just perfectly, knowing I was overweight was a cause for concern for me knowing my family is usually in the truck with me while towing.

I traded her in on my current 2014 F150 Eco with about 1800lbs of payload. but it's an XTR with Max tow and lacks a lot of the creature comforts that I miss from my 05 Lariat.

now my 2016 Lariat with the HD Payload and max tow package should be arriving in July with the mid-size box (longer wheel base) and probably about 2300lbs payload will be perfect. it will give me lots of headroom for hauling my family and trailer and not having to worry about what goes where.

I considered the idea of having just a dedicated towing vehicle but that is another vehicle to ensure, another to maintain and I'd have to drive either my wife's minivan or a smaller car.

I've heard from my dealer that the new 2015+ MY are a little light for serious towing, but I'm surprised that a half ton can get up to 2300 payload

I always thought the HD never came in any "nice" trim.

One issue though, is that I think the TPMS goes off if PSI is less than 55, which is too hard even with E ply for Winter driving.. (no big deal though)

ExtraSlow
02-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Hell, even could get a very sexy Econoline van, those are great tow rigs, and make all the panties wet . . . I'm going to quote myself, because I feel that this comment didn't get the attention it deserved. :hitit:

InRich
02-02-2016, 11:08 PM
You can buy my slightly used Sierra All Terrain for 51k if want ;) I'll be done with it come summer time

upgraded: 5k+ in goodies over the past couple months :drool:

:thumbsup:

r3ccOs
02-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by InRich
You can buy my slightly used Sierra All Terrain for 51k if want ;) I'll be done with it come summer time

time for an upgrade because #whatrecession ?

dirtsniffer
02-03-2016, 06:34 AM

So I finally decided to get the winter car, as I dont really wanna be dragging the new X5M through our winters.

2015 Iridium SIERRA All Terrain. FULLY LOADED, everything except cooled seats and sunroof. 22&quot; Denali rims were included in this deal. 5.3L. Truck was brand new, still wrapped in plastic, picked it up in High River, Got them down to $46,106 + Tax (retailed for 57,753 + Tax + Fees). Haven't named her yet. Suggestions wanted ;) Had them throw in a bed spray which I had done at Line-X...]

ExtraSlow
02-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Rich has decided that he can't drive the X5M in the summer because it's too rare and valuable, being a "true supercar" and all. He's going to garage it year round so it can hold it's value.

btimbit
02-03-2016, 08:07 AM
That or he's trading it in for a fully loaded one:rofl:

killramos
02-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Maybe by "upgrades" he meant retrofits :rofl:

R154
02-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Beautifully worked.

A++

stillworking
02-03-2016, 03:24 PM
I would by a truck that you could export to the states after the summer as no point hanging on to a depreciating asset if it's not needed.

Should be able to made a profit and educate the rest of us on the exporting process.

ExtraSlow
02-03-2016, 05:49 PM
I should reiterate that I am not buying anything this week, this month, next month or the one after that. I have had several very helpful PM's giving suggestions, but no matter what the vehicle or the deal, I am not buying yet. I don't mind the posts because they may help someone else, but don't bother pm-ing me.

I fully expect my financial situation to be different by spring, and I will be making my decisions then. If Mario hits my lottomax numbers, maybe it will be shiny. If things go the other way, maybe I will be selling the trailer and working at wal mart.

Responses so far have been pretty informative. Thanks everyone.

Cooked Rice
02-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Lots of repo'd trucks going through auction at Regal the last few months. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on a pick-up especially with the cheap gas and owning a new home. I've got by with renting cargo trailers from U-haul and pulling with my V8 4Runner though.

InRich
02-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Lots of repo'd trucks going through auction at Regal the last few months. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on a pick-up especially with the cheap gas and owning a new home. I've got by with renting cargo trailers from U-haul and pulling with my V8 4Runner though.

They all look like they have pretty high reserves. spend 8 - 12k more and you can buy something a year or two newer, plus it'll be a new vehicle

C_Dave45
02-04-2016, 12:17 AM
I don't know how you're going to weed through the multitude of suggestions. Every one is different.

But I'll try to throw you my thoughts, Slow, as I think you and I are in similar situations.

1. I'd advise against a Diesel. $300 oil changes. High up-front costs. Not good as a runabout vehicle when not used for towing. If anything goes wrong, it's in the THOUSANDS of dollars for repairs. Trust me, I went through this with a diesel. Plus at 8,000 lbs, a gas will pull it no problem.

2. Rental, you're just throwing away $2,000 a year. Not to mention, are you going to find a rental truck with a WD hitch and electric brake controller?? Will it be available the weekends you want. Last minute trips, etc, etc. Just an all-round PITA.

3. Forget New. FORGET it!! Just throwing away money the second you drive out the lot.

That leaves you with buying a used, gasoline truck. Which is what we did. We purchased a 2006 Suburban 3/4 ton, gas. It has an 11,300 lb tow capacity. 7 seat, fully loaded interior. So it's a great run-around vehicle for the wife. She loves it for groceries and for carrying friends and pets.

We paid $13,000 for it. It's our daily driver.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/New%20Traiiler/Truck%20and%20trailer_zpswbzy4vmp.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/New%20Traiiler/9b8175a6564d1444106e9408b0b7b6be%201_zpsminftjia.jpeg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/New%20Traiiler/ae0fcc5bebfa6c8af45d9a609927c923_zps5x5fakcg.jpeg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/New%20Traiiler/d7e514975977851bdbce7531fa3c9b4b_zpsyfjmbncg.jpeg

AE92_TreunoSC
02-04-2016, 12:41 AM
^Any chev with the 4L80e is a good choice for towing, very stout and simple trans.

Anything that goes wrong with the 6.0 is cheap to fix as well.

I would never tow with a high mileage diesel with unknown history. Nor would I bother buying a half ton if possible.

finboy
02-04-2016, 12:59 AM
To Dave's point, if you still want *some* pickup utility! thought about the 3/4 ton avalanche? Seats 5, flexible bed design, gas motor, and later models had less ugly plastic.

Like...
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-chevrolet-avalanche-2500-pickup-truck/1132353138?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

ExtraSlow
02-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
I don't know how you're going to weed through the multitude of suggestions. Every one is different. I agree, I don't think we'll come to a consensus, but I don't need one. I just love hearing other opinions because I've got my biases, and I like to see them challenged.

The Chev 6.0L engine is pretty sweet, and a suburban like that would fit the bill very nicely.

Or one of these amazing rides . . .
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-ford-excursion-slt-suv-crossover/1136268124
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1976-gmc-sierra/1128592184

SOAB
02-04-2016, 09:55 AM
oooh, that Excursion was something I was looking at for a dedicated tow rig before I bought my current truck. I could never find a decent one that looked well taken care of though. they are rare to find on kijiji.

C_Dave45
02-04-2016, 10:10 AM
I agree, I don't think we'll come to a consensus, but I don't need one. I just love hearing other opinions because I've got my biases, and I like to see them challenged.

The Chev 6.0L engine is pretty sweet, and a suburban like that would fit the bill very nicely.

Or one of these amazing rides . . .
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-ford-excursion-slt-suv-crossover/1136268124
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1976-gmc-sierra/1128592184
Please do some Googling on the "Ford 6.0 Diesel problems" (http://www.powerstrokehub.com/6.0-power-stroke-faq.html) before you decide on that Excursion. You'll find class action lawsuits and even Ford's lawsuit against Navistar for millions.
Coles: over 400,000 failures and a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers.
That was my nightmare.

spikerS
02-04-2016, 10:11 AM
well, slow, since you and I are friends, if all else fails, you can probably just borrow mine.

SKR
02-04-2016, 10:50 AM
1. I'd advise against a Diesel. $300 oil changes.

I've never in 11 years paid $300 for an oil change, and I always use synthetic. Last one I had before Christmas was $130.

I think a GM 2500 or 1500HD with a 6.0 is the best choice, and there's probably tons of them around. I don't think you need a diesel.

Although, that $4900 2003 Duramax that was posted here:

probably isn't a bad deal if you're just trying to get by through the summer. If you're planning on dumping it in the fall, would you even put on enough kilometers to have to change the oil?

C_Dave45
02-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by SKR

I've never in 11 years paid $300 for an oil change, and I always use synthetic. Last one I had before Christmas was $130.

I think a GM 2500 or 1500HD with a 6.0 is the best choice, and there's probably tons of them around. I don't think you need a diesel.

probably isn't a bad deal if you're just trying to get by through the summer. If you're planning on dumping it in the fall, would you even put on enough kilometers to have to change the oil?
Only $130? Good to know. By all means get a diesel then.

mzdspd
02-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by SKR

I would like to know where you are getting your oil changed then... Cause I have never seen a diesel oil change for under 200 for synthetic.

Diesels take 10+ liters of oil, depending on the truck.

SKR
02-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd

I would like to know where you are getting your oil changed then... Cause I have never seen a diesel oil change for under 200 for synthetic.

Diesels take 10+ liters of oil, depending on the truck.

At the dealer.

I don't typically keep my oil change receipts so maybe they fucked up on this last one. But I know I've never paid $300, and I don't think I've ever paid $200 for oil and a filter.

It just always strikes a nerve when people talk about high maintenance costs, and I just haven't seen it.

Edit: the last bill I had for my '13 Chevy 6.0 was $69.95 at Davis GM in Medicine Hat. That's just regular oil at $4.95/liter. The last bill for my '07 GMC 6.6 was $122.61 at Standard Motors in Swift Current, with 10 liters of oil at $8.50/liter. I don't know what to tell you.

SOAB
02-04-2016, 12:10 PM
my cousin has an F350 with the 6.7L diesel I'm pretty sure he said his oil changes were in the $250 range at the dealer?

either way, the point is moot if you're only gonna have the truck for 6 months.

buy it, don't even think about putting any money into it and sell in the fall. hopefully she doesn't leave you stranded though.

C_Dave45
02-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by SKR

It just always strikes a nerve when people talk about high maintenance costs, and I just haven't seen it.

Edit: the last bill I had for my '13 Chevy 6.0 was $69.95 at Davis GM in Medicine Hat. That's just regular oil at $4.95/liter. The last bill for my '07 GMC 6.6 was $122.61 at Standard Motors in Swift Current, with 10 liters of oil at $8.50/liter. I don't know what to tell you.
My last bill was $2500. Two weeks later the next bill was quoted at $9,000.

How much to change spark plugs on the Navistar 6.0?
How much for the EGR?
How much for a blown turbo?

Point BEING....a diesel is more expensive for repairs than a gas engine.

If he only has it for 6 months and nothing happens...Great. Awesome. Get a diesel, Slow.

I personally wasn't a fan of having a diesel for the wife to run to the corner store and school for 15 minutes every day. Nor having to crank up the diesel at a crowded campground at 6:00 am when I went fishing. If all he needs is a vehicle to tow something with for 4 or 5 times a year....does he really need a diesel?????

SKR
02-04-2016, 12:23 PM

My last bill was $2500. Two weeks later the next bill was quoted at $9,000.

How much to change spark plugs on the Navistar 6.0?
How much for the EGR?
How much for a blown turbo?

Point BEING....a diesel is more expensive for repairs than a gas engine.

If he only has it for 6 months and nothing happens...Great. Awesome. Get a diesel, Slow.

I personally wasn't a fan of having a diesel for the wife to run to the corner store and school for 15 minutes every day. Nor having to crank up the diesel at a crowded campground at 6:00 am when I went fishing. If all he needs is a vehicle to tow something with for 4 or 5 times a year....does he really need a diesel?????

Spark plugs on a diesel? Get the fuck out of here.

C_Dave45
02-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by SKR

Spark plugs on a diesel? Get the fuck out of here.
ROFL...fuck. idiot. I was thinking head gaskets. THAT's embarrassing. :facepalm:

SKR
02-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Anyway, even I'm saying he doesn't need a diesel. $300 oil changes are just bullshit, that's all.

black300
02-04-2016, 01:01 PM
LOL @ Dave, I thought you were trolling at first.

InRich
02-04-2016, 08:01 PM
ok so I just wanna get this off the table...

so... you're NOT interested in my truck!?!? 50k! beyond price!!!! u can have it on April 1st.

I'd hit it! :thumbsup: :drool:

sticker on it was 57,XXX + 5k in extra's!!!

killramos
02-04-2016, 08:34 PM

so... you're NOT interested in my truck!?!? 50k! beyond price!!!! u can have it on April 1st.

No one wants your truck. Not even you.

Did you just use this as an excuse to "brag" about how much money you spent on your truck or something. As if buying an almost fully loaded domestic half ton is something worth bragging about. :rofl:

roopi
02-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Is it loaded?

redblack
02-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Sticker is 57k but everyone knows you get at least 10K off a new truck without very much negotiating at all....

InRich
02-04-2016, 09:29 PM

No one wants your truck. Not even you.

Did you just use this as an excuse to &quot;brag&quot; about how much money you spent on your truck or something. As if buying an almost fully loaded domestic half ton is something worth bragging about. :rofl:

someone sure sounds jelly to me...

hey maybe one day you'll be able to move up from your lil 2 series and into a real M :bigpimp: bitch.

Cos
02-04-2016, 10:54 PM

never
02-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Anyway, even I'm saying he doesn't need a diesel. $300 oil changes are just bullshit, that's all.

Yeah, that's a little extreme. I changed the oil in the Duramax on Tuesday and it cost me just under $50. Granted, I just use Rotella...not synthetic.

R154
02-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Well this got out of hand. My work here is done.

killramos
02-05-2016, 07:43 AM

someone sure sounds jelly to me...

hey maybe one day you'll be able to move up from your lil 2 series and into a real M :bigpimp: bitch.

Jesus I sure hope by the time I am your age I can afford something nicer than a corvette and an X5 :rofl:

Sugarphreak
02-05-2016, 07:45 AM

dirtsniffer
02-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Please describe these extras.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2016, 08:03 AM
I like the meaner snappier InRich! Hilarity ensues.

r3ccOs
02-05-2016, 09:21 AM

long live the king of stucco

#whatrecession

InRich
02-05-2016, 11:28 PM

Jesus I sure hope by the time I am your age I can afford something nicer than a corvette and an X5 :rofl:

You forgot the M. make sure it doesn't happen again!

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ don't be so mean, you know he doesn't drive an X5 anymore... His summer car is now an MX5

Given that from his other new cars he is clearly awful at negotiating (no offense Rich, some people are just not good at it), and even he got it for 47K, so I'd say a low 40's OTD would be doable. Especially as we get towards the spring.

The biggest story is why is he trying to dump a brand new vehicle only a few months into ownership. I am thinking it is either pretty problematic (no surprise given it is a GM), or he is having serious buyers remorse.

Dude. if you wanna try and make a joke at my expense, please give it some thought, this is just weak... I actually lost a little respect for you now. not that I had alot to begin with. and... to answer your question. I have a little remorse, first. I dont like the truck at high speeds, 120s+++, maybe I'm just used to the X5 solidity. dunno. 2nd. Its a double cab. I really needed a much bigger back seat for my clients. I'm fucking really stupid for getting just a double cab.

And if you ever fucking make fun of my negotiation skillz again. me and you are gonna have it out on here. believe me, you'll end up looking the fool. The trucks sticker was high 57s. I got it for 46. That is a decent deal. not the best, but it was very good compared to the prices I was getting in town. consider, a reg cab, with very few options, cloth interior, I wasn't able to find one below 42k.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Please describe these extras.

please nigga, you can't afford it. dont waste my time.

right on!

Originally posted by r3ccOs

long live the king of stucco

#whatrecession

thank-you sir!

codetrap
02-06-2016, 12:40 AM

btimbit
02-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Bitch please. My truck was listed at 58k and I walk away for 40 tax in. With only a car cost Canada report to help me.

Yeah, but his is close to almost being nearly fully loaded*

r3ccOs
02-06-2016, 02:35 AM

You forgot the M. make sure it doesn't happen again!

Dude. if you wanna try and make a joke at my expense, please give it some thought, this is just weak... I actually lost a little respect for you now. not that I had alot to begin with. and... to answer your question. I have a little remorse, first. I dont like the truck at high speeds, 120s+++, maybe I'm just used to the X5 solidity. dunno. 2nd. Its a double cab. I really needed a much bigger back seat for my clients. I'm fucking really stupid for getting just a double cab.

And if you ever fucking make fun of my negotiation skillz again. me and you are gonna have it out on here. believe me, you'll end up looking the fool. The trucks sticker was high 57s. I got it for 46. That is a decent deal. not the best, but it was very good compared to the prices I was getting in town. consider, a reg cab, with very few options, cloth interior, I wasn't able to find one below 42k.

please nigga, you can't afford it. dont waste my time.

right on!

thank-you sir!

yikes... my buddy bought a 2014 FX4 extended (same as double) "nearly loaded" but did have a sunroof and HID's for $37k all in w/ the 5.0 and new at the time

must just be GM pricing

Maxt
02-06-2016, 08:27 AM

Yeah, that's a little extreme. I changed the oil in the Duramax on Tuesday and it cost me just under $50. Granted, I just use Rotella...not synthetic.
I change my cummins for 40.00 each time, and being that the oil change on a diesel is up in the 10,000+ km range, he'd be changing the oil on time probably rather than mileage, so once a year if he used it for camping?

dirtsniffer
02-06-2016, 09:04 AM

yikes... my buddy bought a 2014 FX4 extended (same as double) &quot;nearly loaded&quot; but did have a sunroof and HID's for $37k all in w/ the 5.0 and new at the time

must just be GM pricing

Extended is not the same as a double.
And tons of people got great deals on 2014 FX4's due to 2015 being a different generation GM is only 2 yeara into the cycle.

Not trying to defend InRich's price, he is out to lunch.

And I did pay 43 for a double cab LT Z71 with bucket seats, tow package, upgraded stereo, climate control. ...

RealJimmyJames
02-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Maxt

I change my cummins for 40.00 each time, and being that the oil change on a diesel is up in the 10,000+ km range, he'd be changing the oil on time probably rather than mileage, so once a year if he used it for camping? Or zero times if he drives it for the eight weeks of summer only.

killramos
02-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ don't be so mean, you know he doesn't drive an X5 anymore... His summer car is now an MX5

The biggest story is why is he trying to dump a brand new vehicle only a few months into ownership. I am thinking it is either pretty problematic (no surprise given it is a GM), or he is having serious buyers remorse.
At least an MX5 would be cooler than Calgary's "My husband works in oil & gas and I need to drive the kids to hockey practice"-mobile.

As for dumping a vehicle a couple months into ownership and buyers remorse?

Maybe #whatrecession is catching up to him.

Rich maybe ExtraSlow will give you some tips on recession fighter vehicles :thumbsup:

Maxt
02-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Or zero times if he drives it for the eight weeks of summer only.
True if he unloaded it at the end of summer, and had fresh when he got it.

Sugarphreak
02-06-2016, 10:13 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
02-06-2016, 10:56 AM

please nigga,

So gangsta.

R154
02-06-2016, 11:41 AM
This thread keeps delivering. oh man.

Extraslow is da real MVP.

Maybe look at an older (early-mid 2000's) heavy half? couple of SLT 1500's w/8bolt rear ends...

I cant remember what the chassis code is, but if it has 3/4 ton leafs and the bigger v8 + 8 bolt hubs it is a heavy half.

R154
02-06-2016, 11:47 AM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-gmc-sierra-1500-slt-pickup-truck/1054379261?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

heavy half.

R154
02-06-2016, 11:49 AM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-gmc-sierra-2500-sle-pickup-truck/1138334253?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Shittier version in work trim and chassis designate.

R154
02-06-2016, 12:04 PM
And finally, what I would look at if I were you. when purchasing time rolls around:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-gmc-1500hd-crewcab-white/1137588004?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This example is a little rough, but be patient you'll find one.

We have 3 of them (identical) in our fleet at work. All of them were bought new and each have at least 350k+ on them. They are used on the service fleet side. One of them has ~550K. Other then some dents and obvious wear to the interior, it still fires up and drives flawlessly.

Regular maintenance and a front end about ~200K aside, they have out lived all of the Fords in our fleet. Sole exception being our 1 ton flat deck (V8 FEEERD) and 3 duramax's. None of our Ford 1/2's & 5/8th halfs which aren't used for service have survived. They all get replaced ~5 years. We now lease Fords/Yota's...

They haven't had easy lives either (GM's). Routinely driven from here to fort chipewyan on lease roads. Always driven by people who dont own them...

My 2c.

Cos
02-06-2016, 12:42 PM

redblack
02-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos
How does inrich still get business when he talks shit to everyone on here like this?! Hahah

I'm sure he's a chill guy in real life.

ExtraSlow
02-06-2016, 01:59 PM
This thread keeps delivering. oh man.

Extraslow is da real MVP. I have no idea what happened to this thread, but it is hilarious.

r3ccOs
02-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Cos
How does inrich still get business when he talks shit to everyone on here like this?! Hahah

not to call his bluff... but I have friends who own flooring companies who have had to lay off a tremendous amount of staff, including sales, who are straight commission...

I got a quote in the summer to paint my house for about $5k labor, and the guy called me back (though I found someone else) and said he'd do it for 2k cash.

Even if upgrading your facia is a good way to increase curb appeal... I think all "home improvement" services are going to be hurting, just as bad as developers and builders are.

that being said, my neighbor across from me where he's a sales manager, said this is his best year ever... #whatrecession and he just did some huge like lease for an oil service company.

who knows who to believe

as to used trucks... for your trailer the older 1500HD or 2500 with a 6.0 is your key to happiness...

Cos
02-06-2016, 02:10 PM

r3ccOs
02-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I more just meant that someone who comes across like a dick like this online, I am surprised beyonders still use him. As RedBlack said, maybe he is really cool in real life. Now I know at least 2 people personally who Rich has done work at their place, and the work was good from what it seemed, but that said I put a lot of weight into how someone conducts themselves. No one is perfect but a lot of the guys who I've dealt with on and off the forum are usually the people who are the most honest and real (MasonCGY, Bob, A790, JRSC00Lude, Brad, Ryan, James, etc).

I've had about 50/50 on good/bad business dealing with beyond sponsors or members. Just because your a sponsor or member doesnt mean you are good at your job. Some I kept coming back to for obvious reasons and some just didn't. Now for Rich, I've never contacted him for anything but I probably never would either.

based on his posts and purchases through the years, he's like a rags to riches story (or at least in his own mind) and now believes that his accomplishes are unique and exemplary... and as such, should be respected/treated like that.

all I can say is... I'm certain there are many members on beyond who choose not to post their financial solvency.

but this thread is really about finding something that can tow...

my take is... a truck is always a good vehicle to have around, especially 4x4, even if you use it infrequently.

yes, Rich, almost any of us in our age category can likely walk into any dealer and walk out with an "almost loaded" late model full size truck... or heck even a fully loaded one ;)

but now being a truck owner, I'm almost more for finding a proven model, low KM truck with capabilities that you wouldn't want use as a daily driver, for the times you need it... i.e. towing trailers, loading sleds etc...

Now... I'm thinking more of a 3/4 ton crew with a 6.5 with a durable drivetrain... (i.e. stronger IFS/SFA, larger diff/driveshaft, heavier frame)
so a beefed up 6.0, or a cummins megacab 5.9 or a 07 duramax w/ allison from the mid 2000's may be that "perfect" non-daily driver.
As its non-daily driver, I also don't need a denali or a king ranch neither.

InRich
02-06-2016, 03:05 PM

not to call his bluff... but I have friends who own flooring companies who have had to lay off a tremendous amount of staff, including sales, who are straight commission...

I got a quote in the summer to paint my house for about $5k labor, and the guy called me back (though I found someone else) and said he'd do it for 2k cash.

Even if upgrading your facia is a good way to increase curb appeal... I think all &quot;home improvement&quot; services are going to be hurting, just as bad as developers and builders are.

that being said, my neighbor across from me where he's a sales manager, said this is his best year ever... #whatrecession and he just did some huge like lease for an oil service company.

who knows who to believe

as to used trucks... for your trailer the older 1500HD or 2500 with a 6.0 is your key to happiness...

I'm actually a little insulted you didn't call me... less you live in the N.E. then I dont really care, but anywhere else in this city, and you didnt call me!?!?!?! WTF man!

Oh and just a reminder to you all.. some junkie painting a house for 2k? lol!!! cheap is not good, and good is not cheap. our work lasts! I've taken bats to my paint jobs, and it didn't chip. I even offer 8 coat systems now. crazy shit no one else does.

I've had a customer call me last year, saying she was unhappy with the house I did for her in 07!!! 9 years ago!!!! what kinda contractor would even take a call like that seriously? anyways her chimney paint was peeling, through no fault of mine, her stucco was junk, and her flashing was shedding water improperly. anyways know what I did?!? painted her ENTIRE house again, at no expense to her. Just to make her happy and to make sure she continued to tell all her neighbors about how happy she is with me.. that redo cost me ALOT of money btw, but I'll always go all out for my clients, I'll always commit, and i'll always go all in.

btw I offer more then just painting houses.
roofing, siding, stone work, new windows or cladding existing wooden window trim, new eaves/fascia/soffit.

InRich
02-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I more just meant that someone who comes across like a dick like this online, I am surprised beyonders still use him. As RedBlack said, maybe he is really cool in real life. Now I know at least 2 people personally who Rich has done work at their place, and the work was good from what it seemed, but that said I put a lot of weight into how someone conducts themselves. No one is perfect but a lot of the guys who I've dealt with on and off the forum are usually the people who are the most honest and real (MasonCGY, Bob, A790, JRSC00Lude, Brad, Ryan, James, etc).

I've had about 50/50 on good/bad business dealing with beyond sponsors or members. Just because your a sponsor or member doesnt mean you are good at your job. Some I kept coming back to for obvious reasons and some just didn't. Now for Rich, I've never contacted him for anything but I probably never would either.

maybe... just maybe I enjoy coming in here and trolling you keyboard warriors cause it amuses me and brings me pleasure... lol
:poosie: