PDA

View Full Version : Prepping a vehicle to sell - How much should I fix?

dakkoo
02-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Hi All,

Hoping to get your opinions on how much I should repair before selling my vehicle.

I have a 2010 Benz ML350 with 166K KM on it. Basically I have close to $3200 of repairs to make it 'perfect'.

Oil cooler leak - 12 hrs to take apart, replace seals (maybe cooler as well) and put it back together

AdBlue tank heater - Tank and pump function just fine, just the heater for the AdBlue fluid. The failed heater causes a CEL light to come on.

Windshield crack - No surprise there being Calgary....

If I were to fix/replace these items, there would be no issues at all with the vehicle. I just dont know what is worth spending money on now to make it 'sellable' and what items I should leave and negotiate with.

If you were buying, what would you be willing to accept in terms of deficiencies?

Thanks!

dtrieu
02-01-2016, 01:26 PM
I would for sure fix the CEL issue, a CEL on a Mercedes would scare me away right away.

Windshields are hit or miss, a new one would make it more visually appealing. For $250~ it might be worth it.

The oil cooler leak.. that's the tough one. I would want to buy a car with no issues, rather than buying it and having to take it to a shop right away. I would say fix it as well.

BavarianBeast
02-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Fix everything, keep the receipts.

It makes it way easier to sell your call if there are no issues and you have proof of recent maintenance. I would easily spend an extra $2-3k on '10 Benz that recently had all maintenance completed Vs. one that needed work.

LilDrunkenSmurf
I'd say if you don't fix anything, be prepared to take more than $3200 off the asking price, because people will factor in having to deal with the issues, rather than a direct monetary cost. I'd say fix the oil leak and the adblue, but I'd be surprised to buy a used car with a new windshield in Calgary, depending on how bad the crack is.

lilmira
Last time I sold a car with a small issue. I disclosed the detail and the cost to fix at the dealership. The buyer had the option to buy the car at asking price and I would get the car fixed at my cost or he could buy the car with a discount reflecting the cost of repair. I think the cost was about 600, I offered 500 off. Do whatever you feel like.

dirtsniffer
02-01-2016, 01:53 PM
I would be hesitant to spend $30,000+ on a vehicle when the owner was hesitant to perform maintenance.

I definitely would not buy it without it being done, but I wouldn't buy it just because you fixed it prior to selling. I would like to see maintenance being done when issues arise.

Either way it sounds neglected.

max_boost
02-01-2016, 02:09 PM
I would fix it.

The one thing I leave is the cracked windshield but generally I will make sure it's presented well i.e. PDR, tires, full detail, mechanically sound, maintenance records. Shows that you care about your car.

Disoblige
02-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I would be hesitant to spend $30,000+ on a vehicle when the owner was hesitant to perform maintenance.

I definitely would not buy it without it being done, but I wouldn't buy it just because you fixed it prior to selling. I would like to see maintenance being done when issues arise.

Well, the SUV is a 2010 w/ 166 k on it. Low 20's (best case scenario) is what I see it selling for with all the issues fixed with good maintenance record.

dakkoo
02-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advice, much appreciated.

I do have meticulous records of all servicing done to the vehicle .

The oil leak just came up in the past 2 weeks. AdBlue tank issue I've been aware of for over a year but as mentioned, its operating as its supposed to, so I haven't had any reason to fix it.

Canmorite
02-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Fix everything, keep the receipts.

It makes it way easier to sell your call if there are no issues and you have proof of recent maintenance. I would easily spend an extra $2-3k on '10 Benz that recently had all maintenance completed Vs. one that needed work.

Yup. Planning to do the same thing, worth the few extra thousand to do it when selling.

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Did you research the oil cooler job? I just did one on my g55 and i believe it's a similar system. It took me 2 hours.

ShermanEF9
02-01-2016, 08:11 PM
12 hours to do an oil cooler? no way.

dj_rice
02-01-2016, 10:55 PM
For the oil cooler leak on those 164's, its about 20-25 numerous seals they replace. Taking off the intake manifold as well and changing the intake mani gaskets, turbo seals, EGR seals, exhaust mani gaskets as well. Some techs even call replacing both intake manifolds themselves since your already at it. We have a little cheat sheet with these chassis oil cooler leaks in the system.

Not sure if it takes 12 hours but definately longer than a 2 hour job.

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2016, 11:24 PM
Fix it all - when the prospective buyer takes it to MB to get an inspection, they are going to want at LEAST the cost of the repairs off the price. It will be way easier to sell if the buyer doesn't have to immediately go to the hassle of repairs as soon as they buy it.

Also, clean it up like crazy. I can't tell you how many cars I have looked at and it looks like the owner has never cleaned it - especially on a car like that, a good detail can get you more money and make the sale way easier.

BokCh0y
02-02-2016, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

THIS.

I would fix it all and sell it. Coming across something like that that needs so much work for a $20k+ vehicle....is a real turn off unless you're willing to sell it for cheap along with full disclosure.

Maxx Mazda
02-02-2016, 01:33 AM
I'd say fix it. You'll end up taking more than the cost of repairs off the sale price if you don't.

M.alex
02-02-2016, 01:39 AM
Other than the windshield, if I were looking for a car and it had that many issues I'd be walking away from it without a second thought.

If you're selling a car and those issues are noticeable I'd wonder WTF else is wrong with it.

speedog
02-02-2016, 09:29 AM
It should be as simple as this for the OP, does it matter to him if there's a CEL on or if there's a cracked windshield or other things wrong with a vehicle he might be looking at to buy. Would he negotiate for a better price based upon that or just walk away? He should apply the same logic he'd use in buying a vehicle to one that he would be selling and hoping to get a good return on.

tomt64
02-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
For the oil cooler leak on those 164's, its about 20-25 numerous seals they replace. Taking off the intake manifold as well and changing the intake mani gaskets, turbo seals, EGR seals, exhaust mani gaskets as well. Some techs even call replacing both intake manifolds themselves since your already at it. We have a little cheat sheet with these chassis oil cooler leaks in the system.

:werd: With high mileage on these vehicles [642 diesel engine w/ 130k+] most of the time charge air manifolds should be replaced while doing the oil cooler seals. The linkages themselves for the secondary inlet ports will be worn and have a lot of play in them, causing the intake to be really restricted at higher load.

The gas models have the oil cooler on the filter housing as redlyne was saying... those are easy to access.

vengie
02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
Other than the windshield, if I were looking for a car and it had that many issues I'd be walking away from it without a second thought.

If you're selling a car and those issues are noticeable I'd wonder WTF else is wrong with it.

This 100%. If I were a prospective buyer and the owner lists off several items that need attention I'll be thinking about WHAT ELSE will need my attention and walk away.

If you want to sell a vehicle, sell it in the condition YOU would want to buy a car in.

mr2mike
02-02-2016, 10:05 AM
I'd say leave as is and be the typical Kijiji seller.

"Car is perfect/MINT, just needs ________. Easy to fix, $200 in parts needed".

hurrdurr
02-02-2016, 12:04 PM
I'll give you $12,000

redblack
02-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
I'd say leave as is and be the typical Kijiji seller.

"Car is perfect/MINT, just needs ________. Easy to fix, $200 in parts needed".

Fuck I hate those ads, everything is Mint.... When you get ther its a brown or leb guy selling a huge POS vehicle which is not "mint"

OP, spend the cash and fix it or trade it in

killramos
02-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Broken vehicle = worth sum of its working parts. Windshield isn't a big deal but something broken enough to throw a CEL?

I would be expecting to take 2-3X the estimated repair cost off the selling price to make up for things are broken.

Why would a new owner take all the risk in getting a car fixed, when we all know other shit is likely to crop up in the process, for a modest discount from a working model?

OP fix the car or prepare to give it away way under market value.

Personally i would never buy a car that is known to be broken. Life is to fucking short.