PDA

View Full Version : My Networking Issue Solved!

msommers
02-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Ever since I've moved into this new place in Edmonton I've had a heck of a time getting reliable wifi throughout the condo. Finally I've got a system that works for me and just sharing in case anyone else is having problems.

So everyone knows that the Telus router's wifi is garbage. I got them to come and install a band extender that does 2.4 and 5g and that sort of helped but needed to be reset once a week.

My biggest issue was getting reliable wifi to my entertainment center. The router was placed where it was so I could hardwire from the Telus router to my computer to ensure that automatic cloud backups would be fairly reliable when away.

At first I was hoping that a range extender could fix things, but shortly after buying it the signal getting to it just wouldn't work often enough and seemed like there was sort of interference.

As a last strategy I went out and bought a powerline adapter to wire to the extender in the living room. And it worked! All the Telus supplied wireless stuff is turned off and the wifi is all supplied by the EX6200 Netgear extender, along with hardwiring into the xbox and squeezebox devices in the entertainment center.

For the distances involved I didn't think wifi would drop off so badly but it really did. And that Telus hardware is just plain crap.

For reference, at my computer I get about 55Mbps on speedtest, as I'm on Telus 50. Through the powerline adapter I got 35-45 hardwired and the same through the extender. Through 5G in the same room I get almost the same.

The two devices I got are:
D-LINK DHP-701AV Powerline AV2 2000
NETGEAR AC1200 Dual Band

In total was under $200 for both because of sales.

speedog
02-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Odd because our TELUS router 2.4/5G has been rock steady and provides amazing speeds on our 50Mbs fibre service - we can be 5G connected more than 400 feet away from our house.

msommers
02-06-2016, 02:45 PM
When working, the Telus unit's 5G range was also quite good. The issue was that neither the extender nor the 2.4 wireless portion of the Actiontec would be reliable.

Since implementing the above system, the Netgear extender has been rock solid and speeds stay well above 40Mbps wirelessly which is totally fine for our needs. When trying to get the Netgear and Telus equipment to work wirelessly, speeds were 5-10Mbps and it was very unreliable - it's almost like there was some sort of interference or something.

Overall I'm very happy. Especially because I stream FLAC files from Tidal and higher resolution music from my computer to my audio system. The squeezebox would constantly be buffering and completely hindered any chance of making it through one song without multiple skips somewhere. Now Netflix loads very very quickly and I haven't had a buffering issue since!

pheoxs
02-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Had poor coverage with the Telus box, because fiber has its own modem I removed the Telus router all together. Modem -> Asus ac68u in the basement at the front of the house then I have a hard wired repeater on the opposite side of the house (to boost through my garage in the backyard)